main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Early screenings / early buzz & reactions thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Xinau, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    BTW someone needs to make an official thread for TLJ reviews (if there isn't one already) so we'll be able to collect all those professional reviews in one thread and then go back and laugh at them (I mean read them) in the coming months and years.

There also needs to be an official thread for fan reviews (if there isn't one)

I'm a veteran at these things you know.... ;)

darthgator1217 and Darth Smurf like this.
  2. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I don't mind doing it as long as it isn't seen as being a duplicate of this thread? Apologies to mods if it is.

Edit: just created it.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    And also lots of fans who have seen it and loved it. The fans will be divided every time because the fans always are. The only film this didn’t apply to was ANH and even that caused a split between those who became fans and those who didn’t and still don’t like SW.

4. Darth Palpadious

May 31, 2013
    Very true, and there are indeed even people here who don't much like ANH. I have my own opinions on that kind of stance but honestly we all just need to express our views as our own.

Contreras1991 and Satipo like this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

There was no TFA "fiasco".

There were a severe minority, like you, who assumed their displeasure was indicative of a notable backlash, some deep division between audience and critical reception.

There's no indications present in reality that suggest that ever happened.

But, by all means, continue making up stories that amount to "my opinion is the universal opinion". Certain POV and all that such.

6. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    In 30 minutes

7. Darth Palpadious

May 31, 2013
    Agreed, all the evidence I've come across both online and in the real world suggests that outside of the fanbase, reaction to TFA is and always has been almost universally positive. This rewriting of history really bothers me.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Does anybody outside the fan-base even remember TFA at all? Seriously?

What on earth is there in TFA that anybody would actually remember? Well there's Han's death I suppose (and I've always acknowledged that was very well done) and Luke's reveal... So that's like three or four minutes... But other than that it was utterly, utterly forgettable...

Anyway, wildly off topic so I'll say no more as I don't want to get spanked by the mods...

UberJediPaul likes this.
  9. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    edgarwright @edgarwright
    It's pretty thrilling that @HamillHimself gets to return to a role he originated 40 years ago and be a total badass doing it. Can't wait for you to see his grand return this weekend.

BB-K8 @katie_torres 12h
    @edgarwright et @HamillHimself
    He's captivating in TLJ. Exactly how I wanted the character to evolve (and so so much more).

Timothy Dowling @TimothyDowling
    I agree. He was great then and just as great now. @HamillHimself

edgarwright @edgarwright
    @TimothyDowling et @HamillHimself
    I think this is his best turn as the character. It's great. And funny too.

Timothy Dowling @TimothyDowling
    Agree. I think in the last one and this one Harrison Ford and @HamillHimselfwere thrown the ball and both knocked it out of the park in a big way.

Chained Prometheus and jaqen like this.
  10. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Chris Stuckman Review- Non Spolier.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Not sitting through video reviews of movies. So [face_waiting] :p

jaqen likes this.
  12. RedDevil

RedDevil Jedi Knight

May 18, 2016
    On my way home from the European Premiere in London. Firstly, I was unsure about paying the £100 ticket price for this when they came on sale, thank god I did. Worth it for the red carpet experience alone. Luckily arrived the same time as Adam Driver and John Boyega and got pretty up close. Then caught up to Daisy Ridley and Rian Johnson as I walked further up towards the royal Albert Hall.

Anyway, a spoiler free general review:

- the first half, for me, had way too much forced humour and one liners and gags. I don’t mind the odd one here and there, but this was being forced into every scene it seemed.
    - I wasn’t a fan of an important early Leia scene. Didn’t look right or feel right.
    - the battle scenes were stunning
    - I can see why Mark Hamill didn’t like what RJ gave him, but he did superbly with what he was given
    - there was so much going on, I’m sure I missed plenty of things, luckily I’ve got a ticket tomorrow for the normal first screenings
    - 2nd half of the film was much better for me, the last 45mins brilliant
    - they deserve an Oscar for keeping the plot under wraps for 2 years!
    - can see it dividing fans, but nobody can complain that they haven’t tried something very different
    - you know there’s great scenes, when people are cheering and shouting and clapping at a movie screen
    - I’ve kept away from all spoilers and reviews the last few days so have no idea what has leaked and how it’s been received. I’ll be interested to see what critics think of the script. I liked the plot, and all the twists and turns, but there were several times the dialogue didn’t work for me. Difficult to pinpoint and put it into words but it seemed overly basic and maybe needed juicing up a bit.

It sounds like I’m being very negative, when I actually really enjoyed the film. Just think it’s only fair to point out what were, for me, some obvious weaknesses. Maybe I expected an impossibly perfect film. Looking forward to watching it tomorrow knowing I can relax and soak it all in, now I know exactly what to expect

13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    If they actually came up with a Spoiler Protection oscar, I would Love the World!

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.