main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Early screenings / early buzz & reactions thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Xinau, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017

Just like all the hype of practical effects in TFA. I remember how the marketing and press releases hyped that all up and the fans bought it... and for many, it turns out there was a lot of CGI still used, particularly the Rathars. Granted there were scenes of actual puppets, physical locations and aliens in costumes, but they are far smaller than what fans hyped them out to be.

Departure from formula is in that same category. Your Mileage May Vary on what is considered to be "a departure for Star Wars, unique, even divisive."

Mostly Handless and 2Cleva like this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Something that'll be evident all across this board the moment the first legit information leaks.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    In the day and age where directors are fired mid-filming, panned by critics, and worse by fans, putting enough stock in a director to ask him back for THREE films is pretty big stuff.

We're a month away from release and Disney/LFL made such a bold statement by having Rian back to make his own trilogy. I'd say that it's quite possible TLJ will demonstrate auteur type material. What that means in terms of creating a stir among the fan base we'll have to find out in a few weeks.

CrazyBladeUK, Xael and jaqen like this.
  4. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    my office is on the corner where they set up the red carpet for the rogue one premier. nothing better than seeing a life size x wing on the walk to work every morning. cant wait to see what they set up this year lol

5. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005

Agree. But if he's seen it this early, then he probably knows someone in the Lucasfilm food chain, which means he might have known what's in it before any screening.

I have a hard time imagining a journalist hurting his credibility by acting like he's seen it when he hasn't.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005

That's not what he said.

The fun thing about talking Reylo on this forum is that Kylo and Rey could re-enact Last Tango in Paris and there would still be people on here saying, "It's a dream! It's a vision!"

7. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

That X-wing belongs in the National Air & Space Museum.

8. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I feel that that is more true of discussing Kylo’s redemption and Kylo and Rey’s relationship improving than of Reylo.

9. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Dr. Jones, is that you?

10. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Of course i don't want a complete departure from the usual formula. It would cease to be Star Wars, which has always taken inspiration from left and right.

If i want to make a new song on my guitar, will i be able to come up with completely new and unique chords? Obviously not, since everything has been done before, more or less. I can however record it with my own personal touch and mix it to my taste.
    Perhaps a little weak analogy there, but you get my point.

I want it to be Star Wars. I want it to feel Star Wars. That is a formula of its own. Deviate too much and you end up with generic sci-fi that'll die out fairly quick.

11. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

Somebody got it!

(But seriously, it does)

CrazyBladeUK, Ben-Solo and What Girl like this.
  12. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I envision you sitting in your office and suddenly feeling the ground rumble. Upon looking out your window and down the street, you see:

[​IMG]

lol

13. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  14. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm extremely skeptical of any claims of having seen the film at this point. Granted, I'm sure some people have seen it, but I'm going to wait until the film actually premiers to start placing more trust in what people have to say.

15. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    • I think it's possible that the guy (Marc Sessler) has seen the movie, perhaps an early test screening, or friends and family screening at LFL.
    • That said, I think the 'shipper' Instagram post is unlikely to be legit. Anyone who has seen TLJ at this point will doubtless have been sworn to silence via NDAs, thus they would be unlikely to reveal important plot points on social media.
    • ...the earliest legitimate spoilers will probably come from an anonymous reddit poster.;):p
    • On the latest MSW podcast (203) Jason mentioned that people who'd seen TLJ often became more critical of TFA. So clearly there are people who have seen it. https://makingstarwars.net/2017/11/now-podcasting-episode-203-rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-coming/

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't think Mark Hamill would go to the effort of debunking it if this were the case.

17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    That's almost always the way. I remember people dissing Batman Begins and the Fellowship of the Ring when Dark Knight and Two Towers came out, respectively. Long term though, that can either solidify or change.

18. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Fair point. That said (assuming more than one screening of TLJ has taken place) I can't see how Mark could know for certain that Marc hadn't seen the film.

19. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Is there a spoiler-free way for you to relay why that was?

p.s., to clarify, if it matters:

1. I realize this is the spoilers-allowed forum
    2. That said, I still try to steer clear of them if possible
    3. For that reason, I long ago stopped reading/listening to MSW

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Would he really debunk it if he didn't know for certain?

21. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    The world premiere in Los Angeles is in downtown LA this year. It's not at the Pantages like last year nor is it at the TLC Chinese Theatre where the Force Awakens one took place. I'm not sure at what theatre in downtown LA though.

22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    agree and if Mark says this guy has not seen it, I believe him. ;)

23. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Wouldn't you believe anything Mark says or does? Let's be honest here [face_laugh]

24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

:rolleyes:

25. SWFanatic94

SWFanatic94 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 10, 2017
    If people are becoming more critical of TFA after TLJ, wouldn't that imply TLJ is a much better film? Or it could mean something that does or doesn't happen in TLJ makes people more upset about TFA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.