main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Early screenings / early buzz & reactions thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Xinau, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think it's exactly what ThreeDeathstickProblem says: TLJ will go further and delve deeper than TFA, and people forget that the first part always has a very different function.

2. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017

Two things come to mind. One good scenario and one bad scenario:

1) TFA borrowed way too much from the other Star Wars films and failed to reinvent them into something fresh and new compared to TLJ. Which is a testament to TLJ's quality.
    2) TLJ failed to satisfy the hype and mysterious generated by TFA, making a lot things pointless in retrospective. Thus both films are degraded because of how interlinked they are.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    or maybe some things that are hinted in TFA play out in a different way. I just say 'Lost' as a reminder.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Perfectly reasonable to believe the position one of the lead actors in the movie.

ETA: If TLJ’s answers seemed dissonant with what people expected in TFA, with no explanation, I’d think the viewers would be more criticle of TLJ, not TFA.

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Being critical of TFA after TLJ may indicate that TLJ has more of what people wanted from TFA. More different planets, deeper mythology, less rehashing. Who knows?

6. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    It seems like it'd be an easy enough thing to clear up, if someone heard the podcast.

7. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    You mean like Rey not being related because everyone wants to tie all the supposed hints to certain characters, or that we as an audience took to many circumstances as fact. Or maybe Rian actually hit this film out of the park and evidence of that is him signing on for his own Star Wars trilogy.

8. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Is this the way it going to be until we get confirmed spoilers? Every vague thing anyone says is all about Rey's parents?

9. SWFanatic94

SWFanatic94 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 10, 2017
    The impression I got from listening to Jason was that TLJ was better than TFA and some of TFA’s flaws are more noticeable because of it. He even said he felt like TLJ was going to be more in-line with what they (I’m assuming Lucasfilm) wanted in a new Star Wars movie. We even heard JJ say how he is going to go new places with IX.

10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Or just a bloody awful idea. Rian, do not **** this up!

11. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    No! Wrong! Every vague hint is about Reylo apparently! ;)

Mostly Handless and Shadao like this.
  12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I expect TLJ is going to be the first Story Group curated Saga film, which isn't what TFA was. Rian checked in with the SG every few days, which led to more input/oversight from them than last time. So if the "they" in question is the story group, I wouldn't be surprised that they're happier with Rian.

13. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    That was the impression I got.

Not that I disagree, but if Rian did feel that a Rey/Kylo romance was the way forward I'm sure he'd have a better reason for it than Tumblr.;)

14. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Lol! As always execution matters. But it's so gross, he'd need to buy me a beer and explain why he thought it didn't suck!

Shadao and Mostly Handless like this.
  15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think this just means TLJ is a better movie than TFA. Which is a good thing. I love TFA but if TLJ isn’t better than it I would be a little disappointed. I don’t think those comments have anything to do with specific narrative beats and have everything to do with how individuals felt about TFA cleaving too close to past glories rather than being more of its own, bold thing. If you were fine with that aspect of TFA, I doubt TLJ being bolder is going to spoil TFA for you any more than R1 might have done. If you weren’t fine with that aspect of TFA, you get to keep calling it ANH 2.0 while feeling smug that it should have been more like TLJ. Essentially everyone wins. Apart from the people who hate TLJ.

Strongbow, Mostly Handless and Xael like this.
  16. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    [face_sick] [face_sick] [face_sick]

Jazz9276 and Mostly Handless like this.
  17. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    I expect to see 'Why TLJ Sucks...... Rian Johnson killed my childhood' clickbait videos within 2 days of release. Regardless of how good it is.

18. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    Dude, that’s generous. I give it by midnight of the 14th for there to be YouTube rants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Not from me since I hate to be in front of any camera. I also still hope to see something good in this new movie.

20. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

I expect to love the movie. But if I by some disaster I really hate it, I promise to just rant here, and not make any detestable videos. :)

21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    As long as it's just rants, we should all be ok. If it escalates to songs...

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    My biggest potential concern is that it makes TFA feel superfluous. Like I want it to feel like this is a three-part story that builds on itself.

"Newer" CAN be better. But just because something is "new and different" doesn't automatically make it good.

And if I don't end up likin TLJ, there won't even be rants. Just a reasonable explanation of why I didn't like it. And the same is true if I do end up liking it for that matter.

wobbits and Mostly Handless like this.
  23. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    which podcast was this from?

24. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    What is this nonsense, kathy kennedy has already said Jj far exceeded their expectations with tfa. The things people come up with on this forum...just remember Jj laid the foundation for whatever rian develops.

Skillzwalker likes this.
  25. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Look, if there's going to be songs, they better be in tune.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.