main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

early signs of a "good" Vader

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sith_Smith, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Smith

Sith_Smith Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Has anyone noticed in ESB how Vader stops a stormtrooper from shooting chewie in the freezing chamber. I wonder if that was meant to show a good side of him?.......

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    He stops Boba Fett, not a stormtrooper, but whateva [face_whistling]

3. Evil_Billaba

Evil_Billaba Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    vader doesnt actually show any signs until return of the jedi...even lucas said when he told luke he was his father he was still thinking of himself and just gaining more power

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I always thought it was meant to show that there was good in him. Others have said Vader didn't want Leia to accidentally get shot because she'd be a valuable hostage.

5. TheVampireArmand

TheVampireArmand Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    When the Falcon escapes at the very end of ESB, i always pictured a look of sadness inside Vader's mask.
    That's why i figured he didnt start slaughtering the crew then and there. The poor creature was feeling vulnerable. But i guess thats the Dark Side, so isnt really GOOD per se.

6. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    When he stopped Boba, I took that as a "we don't have time for this" type of reaction.

7. BlackChocobo

BlackChocobo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I agree with FallenKnight, but I always thought of it as a "if you hurt this equipment and I can't freeze Skywalker you're a dead man" gesture. He was protecting his own interests.

I also agree that Vader doesn't show signs of waning until ROTJ. Keep in mind, he's asking Luke to help him take over the galaxy, which is hardly an ambition representative of the light side.

8. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    The fact that he stopped Boba from shooting didn't strike me as a good deed. I agree that, for whatever reason, it was in his interest.
    What did strike me was, and I give credit to JEJ for being able to convey so much emotion through his voice alone, is how sad and conflicted Vader seemed as Luke was escaping in the Millinium Falcon, not to mention the fact that when he escaped Vader didn't need to vent his frustrations on anything. It's almost like he wanted Luke to escape from him. And that is certainly a sign of Vader turning back to the lightside, the fact that (unlike in ep3 when he feels totally justified) he's begining to realize that what he's doing is wrong.

9. Qor-Aman_Zen

Qor-Aman_Zen Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Sepharith, I agree that that is the turning point. That was the first time in the whole movie that one of his officers failed him and lived to tell about it.

10. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Vader doesn't choke Piett for letting the Falcon go, that was pretty surprising.

11. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I think Vader is "evil" until ROTJ when Luke confronts him.

12. Evil_Billaba

Evil_Billaba Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    vader didnt kill anyone at the end of empire strikes back simply because he was very upset and killing piett (SP?)wouldnt of made a differece.....he was mad he was not sad...listen to it on the dvd commentary..because at first i thought he was sad to and wondered why he didnt kill him but lucas answers it pretty clearly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.