main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Ears Open - (J/Z Post YJK A/U sequel to Play It By Ear) - Completed May 7 2006!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    "You need to stop getting yourself captured, Jaina." Peckhum's affectionate tease was followed by a bear hug.

"No so tight, I'm skin and bones; I don't need to be skin and marrow!"

Peckhum chuckled, loosening his grip slightly before putting her back on her feet. "You're looking better after a week in the tank."

"I feel better than when they first put me in there." Jaina grinned wryly, still smelling faintly of the bacta they'd placed her in once returning to Yavin IV.

With the destruction of the Sith and their leader, the Jedi had sent several Masters to Ord Mandell to speak with the remaining recruits. Thus far, it appeared as if the Jedi were going to inherit the facility. Her uncle had been pleased with the idea of having more Jedi to add to the fold; especially Jedi who would need to be taken in by older Jedi, even some apprentices. Jaina secretly thought her Uncle Luke was simply thrilled at the idea of 'saving' more students from the darkside.

Adiana had shyly declined becoming Zekk's permanent student, acknowledging that he needed to spend time alone with Jaina after such a forced separation. She had agreed to assist in communicating with the students on Ord Mandell, Nurm her silent shadow and never far from her side since their reunion. Jacen and Tenel Ka had officially adopted both as apprentices so they would have guidance and chaperones. It also meant Jacen got to play diplomat; Jaina was certain he was tickled pink by the whole adventure.

Jaina spied Zekk lounging against the door frame and extended her hand to him. "You don't have to be a stranger."

He smiled at her, his eyes soft. "Just admiring the view. Peckhum should enjoy your company since you're going to be my wife."

Peckhum slapped his thigh, grinning excitedly. "Hot damn, it's about time you asked, boy! You got a date set?"

"We were thinking about eloping." Jaina grinned at her fiancé. "It'll save time and hassle."

"Not to mention our date passed while you were captured."

Peckhhum chuckled. "An elopement sounds like a wonderful idea. But you're not supposed to clue anyone in on it."

Zekk shrugged, crossing the room to take Jaina's hand. It had been a week since he'd spent any meaningful time with her. A week where he'd been briefing Jedi and honing his abilities. A week, spent mostly in meditation, as close to Jaina through their bond as he could be.

But nothing came close to her physical touch. She squeezed his fingers as he took her hand, pulling him close so she could wrap him in a tight hug. "Peckhum, I know we're probably asking a lot, but we can't take the Lightning Rod when we want to go. Do you suppose we could trade ships?"

"You want to let me give my old girl another chance to fly with me?" Peckhum's smile almost took in his ears. "What makes you think I'd turn down an offer like that? Zekk knows the pass codes; you can leave once the healer gives you a clean bill of health."

Zekk squeezed Jaina's shoulders, smiling down at her. "I haven't heard anyone offer such an appealing idea in ages."

She laughed at him. "Liar." Her eyes sparkled, thinking of their 'discussion' through the Force. He was fairly humming with tension, his body taught as a drawn bow, the anticipation barely restrained.

"Shush you." He dropped a kiss on her nose.

Cighal appeared in the room, as if by magic. "I see you are doing much better, Jaina."

"Much." Jaina noted Peckhum had left the room sometime in the last minute. He wasn't particularly comfortable around the Jedi, though he had no problems with them. Came from being alone all the time, probably. "Can I return to my regular duties now?"

Cighal regarded her calmly. "In moderation. You have been through a lot and need nourishment. A steady diet full of proteins, vitamins and minerals, and you will be back in shape before too long."

"But no strenuous physical activity, right?" Zekk's question held a mischievous note.

Cighal shook her head. "Physical activity is fine, but only in moderation. And lots of slee

2. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Epilogue

*five years later - Lightning Rod Hapan Space*

Jaina flipped the hyperdrive switch and sent them catapulting into hyperspace. She hummed softly to herself, absently tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear as she checked their heading and bearing one last time.

"Five years."

She turned with a half-smile on her lips. "Hard to believe, isn't it?"

Zekk bent over her chair, nuzzling her neck, his arms sliding around her waist as he squeezed her. "It's harder to believe I finally have you to myself for a few days."

She turned in his arms, gently kissing him on the nose. "Harder to believe we're alone, or harder to believe the twins are with Tenel Ka and Jacen for two weeks?"

"Both." He pulled her to her feet and back into his arms.

She didn't protest as her arms slid around his waist and she laid her head on his chest. They stood in silence for a long minute. "So what did you want to do while we're kid-free?" She felt the tightening of his arms and laughed softly. "Other than that fly boy. I intend to have some time outside our cabin."

His laughter rumbled through his chest. "I was thinking we could just enjoy each other. Zyna and Marcus can be a handful on the best of days."

"Then why are we headed for Mon Calamari?"

"No reason."

"Liar." She pushed away from him, a grin on her face. "You've got something planned."

"What, a man can't enjoy the pleasure of having his wife to himself for two weeks in a secluded, upper class resort in the middle of their southern ocean?"

She blinked. "You're kidding."

He leaned down to kiss her. "Happy Anniversary, Jay."

"You're not kidding."

"Do I look like I'm kidding?" He cocked his head at her. "Why would I lie about something like that?"

"To hide your true intentions." She searched his gaze. "Really? The Mid-Ocean resort, you mean it?"

He nodded. "I know you wanted to honeymoon there and we never really got to enjoy one. With Jacen and Tenel Ka announcing Kalen Ta's conception, the cleaning up of the dark Jedi and locating all their stores of information and Zyna and Marcus' conception, we never really got to just be us, alone, that first year. So I made reservations."

She lunged at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "How did you ever keep that a secret from me?"

"I have my ways."

She dropped to the floor, tugging his face down. "I have a surprise for you too."

"Oh?"

She nodded, her eyes sparkling. "Don't you even want to guess?"

He arched an eyebrow at her. "You recalibrated the sensors."

"Nope."

"You modified the shields?"

"Nope."

He looked at her strangely, and she felt him reaching out to touch her presence. Only it wasn't just her presence anymore... His eyes widened and his gaze fell to her still-flat stomach. "Really?"

She nodded, her eyes and face glowing. "Really."

He let out a whoop, scooping her up in his arms and twirling her around in the tiny cockpit, careful not to bang her up against anything. She laughed at his enthusiastic reaction, receiving kisses between giggles. He squeezed her tightly, knowing it wouldn't hurt. "That is the best present yet!"

"Happy Anniversary, Zekk."

"You too, sweetheart. You too."

Fin.

3. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Wow, so is the whole 'ears' saga at an end now? It's been such a long, great trip. Play It by Ear and Ears Open were such great stories, it was such fun to walk along with them. You made a great AU that I wouldn't mind revisiting anytime.

Thanks!

4. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Sooo lovely! I love how you ended this! Will we get to see anymore about Adiana? Perhaps a sequel? [face_batting] pretty please?

5. hollynkesten

hollynkesten Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww awesome job! love the story. you really did an incredible job! so sad its over, i kinda wish there was no epilogue because its so much easier to beg for a sequel but maybe you can do one anyway!!

really, great job!

6. Fireyforce

Fireyforce Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    Aw man that was a great ending!!! Now I need a backrub, that sounded really good. Anywho, excellent posts. I can't believe that it's over.

7. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Neo-Paladin - Thank you Paladin! I?m very flattered that you?ve been with me through this thing from start to finish, and your input as always, makes me smile. Thanks so much for coming along on this ride ? it was a lot of fun while it lasted!

AvenKiel ? Thanks, AvenKiel, I wanted to end it so that there was no chance for a sequel with Jaina and Zekk ? I was running out of ideas lol! Seriously, I?m thinking about an Adiana/Nurm fic or Vig but until I get inspired it?s simply a little bunny without a home. Thanks for sticking through and reading it from start to finish!

hollynkesten ? Thanks, hollynkesten! You?re always such a loyal reader, and to be honest, I toyed with the idea of not doing the epilogue and decided I couldn?t make a ?wedding/honeymoon? fic fly without some kind of conflict. Who knows, you may see a short companion piece on their marriage or their time spent. We?ll see :)

Fireyforce ? Thank you, Fireyforce, I?m always nervous about ending my stories ? I?m terrified I?ve left too many loose ends *grin* Thanks for sticking through this with me!

8. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    What a beautiful and fitting ending for our heroes. Coming next from Jade_Max: Adventures in Babysitting with Nurm and Adiana. *hint hint* And yes, I am a fan of most well crafted OCs, I think. I applaud you for not sticking with the "norm" Jaina's Kid Names, but was there particular meaning attached to the ones you did choose?

Thank you for having me along on this ride, Jade. It is always a treat to read your work.

Zonoma

9. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Great ending, Jade_Max! I'm really going to miss this story. How am I going to get my fill of J/Z mush now? :( :p

I enjoyed the last few chapters -- as always, the interaction between the characters was just perfect, and the action sequences were great. Thanks for sharing this story with us. :)

10. MariaMaxwell

MariaMaxwell Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2005
    Wow! Great story.

11. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    *sniffle*

I'm sad to see this story end - as always, I love how you bring Zekk to life, and Adiana was wonderful. I thought I had commented earlier, but I've been spacey with the boards lately. Anyway, though I am a big fan of dramatic, depressing endings, I love happy endings when they are well done, so thank you.

[:D][:D][:D]

12. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    It would appear that I?ve been lax in my replies, so I?ll remedy that today ? sorry for the delay :)

Zonoma ? Thanks! I really enjoyed writing this piece, and ending it was fun too. Lol! You want a babysitting adventure with Nurm and Adiana, huh? Hmm?. *rounds up the plot bunnies* Possibly, possibly ? just to do something fun and still entertaining!

As for a meaning behind the names chosen for their kids... Not really. I like the name Marcus (think B5) and I?ve always been a fan for strange girls names. Xianya, Zyara, Zyna... I like unusual names ? I admit it, Jade?s a freak!

Thanks for sticking through with me to the end of this Zonoma ? it was a lot of fun to write!

jedi_of_ennth ? I think we?ll find some way for you to get your fill of J/Z mush j_o_e ;) It just means writing more viggies, more short stories and fewer epics... I might even do that babysitting piece with Adiana and Nurm lol! Thanks for reading, I?m glad you enjoyed it.

MariaMaxwell ? Thanks for reading!

Inara ? lol! I?ve been lax too, so I think you?re forgiven ;) I can?t help the way I portray Zekk ? I think he?s just to coolest. So I think that shows through *whistles innocently* but then it shouldn?t be a big surprise to anyone I?m a Zekk fan lol! I enjoyed writing Adiana, actually, as tough as she was sometimes. My snippy OC *sniffs proudly* she?s so grown up! I?m glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading everyone, I?m glad you enjoyed it!

13. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    Thanks for sharing that! I really enjoyed it, and the way you wrote the mind bond between Jaina and Zekk was just right: very tender and deeply loving. Great ending too. :D

14. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    You're most welcome - I had a lot of fun writing this particular fic, and it's prequel ;) Thanks for reading - I can't imagine how far you had to dig to bring this to the surface *laughs*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.