main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Earth to Star Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Alderaan_, Aug 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Is anyone ever tempted to add earthly descriptions to their characters? For example Lando and Mace Windu as being African-American, Sei Taria and Wes Jansen as being Asian, or at least C-3PO as having a British accent?

Ideas on how to avoid this would be appreciated.

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    easy enough.

cheating way: 'Lando was tall for a Jiorian. His skin was the normal dark brown but instead of the normal 1.5 meters, he was nearly 2. He towered above his compatriot, Mace Windu. Windu was the typical Jiorian...'

:)

EDIT: I just remembered reading somewhere that the British accent was writen as: 'his clipped Impeiral tones.' It seems somehow that the Brit accent is drilled into them at the Academy.

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I tend to aviod as many Earthly characteristics as possible for my stories (unless it is Earth Meets SW, then the Earth characters obviously have those characterisitcs.) Like they never say "cool, dude, etc..." or think (this makes me cringe) "What on Earth?"

Ways to avoid those descriptions could be dark skinned for Lando, slanted eyes for an asian, the Imperials have a crisp accent...

4. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I've heard that imps accent described as 'upper class' or 'a core world accent'.

5. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    yeah adding Earth descriptions into a Star Wars fic is pushing it. usually when you do that, it pulls the reader out of the galaxy far far away and they start thinking about our own world and what's happening. if you say "British" then i'll start thinking about England and then my entire mindset is off.

there was a thread in lit a long while ago about how certain accents complement certain planets, but I don't remember any of it and its too far back to dig up(its probably deleted anyway). sorry--you might want to ask over there

6. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    Thanks guys. I found all these in canon, Lucasfilm-approved books.

~"A gram of prevention is worth a kilo of cure" (Dark Tide: Ruin) very earthy.

~"Pear-like fruit" (Shadows of the Empire) They have pears in Star Wars?

~"A bullet-shaped shuttle..." (Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial) They have bullets in Star Wars???

~"Even a duck must be taught to swim." (A New Hope) George Lucas actually wrote this.

7. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    Sorry about the double-post.

8. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    ~"Even a duck must be taught to swim." (A New Hope) George Lucas actually wrote this.

Actually, there are ducks in Star Wars. They are native to naboo. :D

But the rest of them are pretty silly. You'd think a proof reader would have picked them up. However, it doesn't surprise me.

I think it's fun to take an earth expression, and turn it into a Star Wars one. For instance, I was writing this fic once in which one character said to another 'don't let the bed bugs bite'.
    When I read over it, I thought 'that sounds to earthy', so I changed it to 'don't let the mynocks bite'.

9. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    LOL Kitt!! i often say "Don't let the droch bite" or "don't let the thud bugs bite" over AIM when i sign off at night :D:D:D

it is kind of weird that SW has always used the metric system for measurements...but i think its kind of foreign anyway since i live in the US :p

10. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    I can't believe I just noticed this.

where did the Millennuim Falcon get its name?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.