main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

'Earthisms' to be avoided, and their alternatives

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by solojones, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Eva

Jedi_Eva Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    I once read a fanfic where the SW prequel crew visited earth....all I can say is that the fic was very....strange. All the characters(including the canon characters) were talking slang. It was "funny" to read Obi-Wan sayin gthings like, "Yo, dude."

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    And all us Americans rejoice...

I used Rosari to describe roses on Alderaan, daisri for daises and cytera for wisteria...

Usually for stuff like that, I just mess around with letters so that the names are similar, but still have a GFFA feel to them. I don't think there are many Alderaan roses around *grins*

3. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I'm glad this popped up.

What the heck should I call the scientific name for humans? **** sapiens? Or is there a more Star Warsy term?

sg

4. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Sapiens would be good, so would hominid, which would be broader and account for humans in the Star Wars universe who might be imperceptably different from **** sapiens. Good question, though! I think either of those two could work well, unless you wanted to simply invent an entirely new label for them.

5. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    I guess I can't write **** sapiens since the first part of it gets starred out here. :p

Anywho, good suggestions, thanks. I'll likely go with one of those unless I or someone here somehow comes up with a term that's been used in the EU. :-B

sg

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I checked with [hl=black]Healer Leona[/hl]and she said the use of the word HomoSapiens in the context of the way it's currently being discussed is fine.

Edit: and if it gets starred out this time, just use H. Sapiens. Most people know what your talking about :)

7. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Actually, I like just "sapiens" anyway. It has a slight SW sound to it, and it doesn't rip the reader out of the story with a direct reference to a genus name. Up to you of course spiritgurl, but it seems like a fine way to go to me.

8. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    well I should hope it would be fine to use that word in this context. ;) That's why I was sort of amused and surprised by the fact that it was starred out. :p At first I was like... hey! I didn't say anything bad! :eek:

While I do understand why that's starred, I have a question, why is it starred here but not in other boards at the JC? I mean, I decided to use the search for the word sapiens to see if there were any other threads at the JC about the question I asked and I actually came up with boards that did not have the ****

Back to my original question, well... I think I might make something new up anything just to get away from the Latin.

sg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.