FF:NZ Earthquake!!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Aug 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Auckland was hit by a mild earthquake around 7pm!

*Kitt runs to make sure her Star Wars toys are safe.

edit: a friend of mine who lives in Palmerston North said they got it down there as well. I wonder where it was centred.

edit 2: from nzherald.com:

An earthquake measuring seven on the Richter Scale was felt around 6.50pm in the centre of the country.
    The quake was felt as far south as Marlborough.
    It was centred 290km northeast of Gisborne, off the North Island's east coast.
    It is not yet known if any damage has been caused

2. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    I just heard about it on the late news, I never even felt thing. Apparently it was centered somewhere around Tolaga Bay.
  3. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    We definitely felt it here. People were calling the radio stations. At my house, it was enough to make the lights shake, but not much else. But some callers to the radio who lived in Avondale described worse, so I guess it depends where you are.
  4. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't like missing out on things like this. [face_plain]
  5. oy636 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was driving at the time and didn't feel a thing. But then our house feels every car and truck that goes past.
  6. rhysati_ynr Jedi Knight

star 3
    I felt the jolt :D was on the puter at the time
  7. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    Never felt it another good reason y u should come to Invercargill.
  8. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

I never felt anything either - and I'm in Auckland. Maybe the Harbour Bridge acts as a shock absorber. :)
  9. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I was on my computer. I was thinking afterwards what if it had been really serious, and the last moments of my life were spent on the internet. Can you think of anything more depressing?

In the geology department today all the lecturers couldn't shut up about it. You know how fanatic we all are about star wars? Well these people are the same, except about earthquakes and volcanos. Just say the word 'granite' and you'll have their complete attention.
  10. Kynes Jedi Padawan

you do Geology Kitt 327, if so where abouts do you do it. I am majoring in Geology at Canterbury and was on field trip that day. we felt nothing. What surprised me though was that the teaching fellow who is taking us on fields is a seismologist and made no comment at all.
  11. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    I wonder if we'll get another in the next week or so.
  12. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Kynes - I've studying at Auckland University. My major is Geophysics, which is sort of geology, physics and maths all thrown into one.

SWNZ - I think they said in the paper today there could be some mild aftershocks. But if you really really want an earthquake, you can always go to one of those 'earthquake simulators' they have at museums. They're bound to have one at Te Papa.
  13. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah i've been through the te Papa one twice. It's not as fun as the real thing.
  14. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I was on the phone to someone at the time, and they felt it (they're also in Christchurch). I felt nothing, although they are on the complete opposite side of town.
  15. RogueJedi Jedi Knight

Hmmm - Im not far from New Lynn - Which isnt far from Avondale *Auckland* And i neva felt a thing! hmmmm
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.