Beyond Easier to Run (Songfic, Jaina, NJO)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by womp_rat208, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. womp_rat208 Jedi Master

star 4
    This is a fic based around the song "Easier to Run" by Linkin Park. The song is on their new cd, which just came out this past Tuesday (the 25th), and I started getting ideas from this from the first time I heard the song. LOL.

Anyways, Star Wars belongs to Mr Lucas, unless he got that Christmas list I sent him and granted me sole ownership. Ha. The only character in the fic was made by the brilliant Tim Zahn, and has since been fleshed out by many, many authors, too many to name here, so thank you all. Well, there are a couple other characters mentioned by name, and they belong to their respective authors.

The song "Easier to Run," belongs to Linkin Park/Warner Brothers. It's a great song, so go pick up the cd. Now. ;)

On with the show. Lyrics in italics.
    *[face_flag]=*[face_flag]=*[face_flag]=***

The sound of footsteps echoed around the darkness. Nothing could be seen in any direction, but the steps suddenly sped up and began running, as if being chased. They ran for seconds, minutes, hours, days, but didn't go anywhere. The bright spot that the steps seemed to be trying to get to never moved. It merely intensified, growing stronger, but never closer. Despite this, the sound continued to echo around the darkness as the person doggedly tried to get there. Wherever there was.

It's easier to run,
    Replacing this pain with something numb,
    It's so much easier to go,
    Than face all this pain here all alone,

The figure, a young woman, had finally given up, and collapsed on the floor, a mass of tired muscles and sweat. Despite the fatigue induced nausea that threatened to spill out, the figure continued to reach for the light, screaming out pleas. Begging him to come back. Asking for forgiveness for not being strong enough even as pain wracked her body. Crying for a few more moments to be with him. But she couldn't reach the light, and it slowly faded into nothingness, leaving her in complete darkness.

Something has been taken,
    From deep inside of me,
    A secret I've kept locked away,
    No one can ever see,
    Wounds so deep they never show,
    They never go away,
    Like moving pictures in my head,
    For years and years they've played,

With a start, Jaina Solo came awake. She was covered in a cold sweat, and her breathing was labored as she pushed herself off the bunk. The floor was cold under her bare feet as she padded across the room to the 'fresher. Turning the water one, she dunked her head under it, sputtering as the cold liquid ran down her neck and along her back. Now that she was fully awake, she returned to her bunk, and sat cross legged on it.

That was the third time in as many days she'd had that dream, and each time it sapped her strength a little more. The concept of what was happening was becoming a little more clear, but why she was having these, she couldn't tell. She'd been told Jedi didn't dream, that they only had visions. But if it was what she believed, the events in her dream were from the past. It was an event that had happened a year ago, but still plagued her mind. 'Probably because I would change it, if I could,' she thought.

If I could change I would,
    Take back the pain I would,
    Retrace every wrong move that I made I would,
    If I could,
    Stand up and take the blame I would,
    If I could take all the shame to the grave I would,

The events above the planet Wayland flashed through her memory, as vivid now as the day they'd been burned into her mind. Being held prisoner onboad the Yuuzhan Vong frigate and suffering brutal beatings was the first memory to come. After that, she saw the trek through the worldship, saw many Jedi die, many Yuuzhan Vong and Voxyn die. She could feel the cold terror in her gut at the site of a Voxyn, even now that she knew they were almost extinct. The exhilirating thrill of outwitting a foe in combat, even the bittersweet taste of victory at the cost of someone's life.

Then, the event that she knew was causing her dreams. Her brother's lonely fight against the masses of Yuuzhan Vong soldiers. He had burned so brightly
  2. Zara_Rose Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooh, creepy. Melikes. I especially liked the last line. It implied that there could be more to this story than what you've posted here. Is this a one-poster, or will it become a full-length piece?

EDIT: Spelling things correctly is nice.
  3. CptCorranHorn Force Ghost

star 5
    "Easier to Run" is my favorite song on Meteora, so I knew I had to check this out.

Its great, and it pretty much mirrors the thoughts that I have when listening to the song. Great Job
  4. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    great job on the postie!

it was very well-written...and very realistic too...i could definately see that happening...
  5. womp_rat208 Jedi Master

star 4
    Zara_Rose: It's just a one poster. I wanted to work it into the EU storyline, and to do more would be difficult.
    CptCorranHorn: Yeah, it and "Faint" are my fav songs. Although "Easier to Run" is definately the darker of the two. LOL.
    Lt_Jaina_Solo: Thanks. :)
  6. JadeSaber Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wompy, great adaptation of the song! You can really get a sense of Jaina's pain and frustration. Poor thing...

Keep up the great work! :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.