main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Easter is a time to remember the crucifixion of a true martyr, and his resurrection

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Each year, about this time, I am reminded of the tale of a truly worthy individual.

This individual, you see, posed such a threat to the established order that they had no choice by to make an example of him.

To martyr him. To crucify him. To make his death a cautionary tale to any others with expressed the courage to stand for something.

I am not talking about the braggart Jesus Horndog Christ. No, his tale is silly and overblown, and improbable. Though, since Jesus' tale was probably lifted from this one of which I speak, in an attempt to improve His image, we can count the similarities.

Both were martyred by crucifixion.

Both returned from the dead.

But, where Jesus went to have a transparently man-love orgy-esque hangout with his male friends (and token woman), the real hero delivered the kind of vengeance that is simultaneously terrifying and exhilarating to behold.

This Easter, I ask that you remember Conan the Cimmerian.

[​IMG]

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

Ulicus , CT-867-5309, OdRevus and 5 others like this.
  2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I love cinnamon.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks, duende!

4. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

Bleating on about how your father has forsaken you vs BITING A VULTURE'S ****ING THROAT OUT

Conan > Christ

This is an excellent suggestion, and I will be celebrating Conan this weekend for sure.

5. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

[​IMG]

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I hope Anakin Solo Anarchist gets the opportunity to see this thread

DarthWilliams likes this.
  7. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    All hail Conan!

[​IMG]

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Do you want to live forever?

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

i think Moviefan2k4 is the one who will have a tough time choosing sides on this one

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, it's a hell of a lot better movie choice than The Ten ******* Commandments for the millionth time.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    for god so loved the world, he granted us anal sex

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Now I will tell you a tale of high adventure!

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  13. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I don't respond much to a lot of folks here anymore, because many are determined to tear me down at every opportunity. I take my faith very seriously, and though I don't aim to hurt anyone's feelings, I refuse to abide by political correctness, either.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I also take Faith very seriously...

[​IMG]

She's worth it...

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If you take your faith so seriously that you immediately become offended whenever someone suggests an alternate point-of-view, maybe you should tone it down or just suck it up?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    G.K. Chesterton once said that it was a sad thing that we had somehow gotten the idea that faith was something to be taken seriously. "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If you want to know what is best in life, you need only ask the Messiah.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  18. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Its not just a matter of offense, but brutal, focused anger from others when I present what I believe in the most objective, non-threatening manner I know how. From my experiences both on this forum and elsewhere, it seems many atheists spend a lot more time responding in anger than Christians, generally speaking. There's extremists in every group, to be sure...but for example, I don't see people who reject unicorns writing whole books on their hate towards those who believe differently.

Sarge likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Crush your Easter Eggs.
    See the chocolate before you.
    And hear the lamentation of the children...

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Dude, people on here don't like it when you post that kind of stuff out of the blue, and then immediately expect unanimous agreement. I certainly don't. Just don't do it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    As long as it's not about homophobia and trampling the rights of women, etc., I tend not to get angry. But I do feel sorry for some Christians, because some of their beliefs are so debilitating for them, like choosing to be a paraplegic when they could so easily walk on two legs. As straightforward as it is that a god who demands ignorance as a test of faith is going to appeal to the ignorant, it still seems tragic somehow.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    ASR's posts have a homophobic touch to them which make me extremely angry. Moviefan is pretty harmless compared to the former.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Don't feel sorry for me, dude. Life is so much better as a Christian. For me, lest anyone think I'm proselytizing. I'd flip that whole paraplegic thing around, except be even stronger with it really. The darkness of my life away from Christianity was like being buried alive. I don't miss anything from that time in my life. But that's me. YMMV.

But what you say is certainly true for many Christians. Well, many people of all different religions. Well, shoot, even non-religious people have beliefs about themselves and their lives that cripple and chain them into negative situations. In short, I think I'd resist directing your empathy for that toward Christians exclusively.

But I would like to say that often MovieFan gets accused of proselytizing when he's just posting his own opinion. There isn't an inherent assumption of agreement with everything that gets posted on here. That flows both ways, of course; everyone needs to get with the program on posting what they think and not being threatened when people don't agree with it. I will occasionally argue finer points if they're interesting to me. But, on the whole, I feel no need to defend what I believe. I've done so enough in the past. More than enough. I break one of the rules I strive to live by with this post.

"Do not justify that you do not justify." That's really hard. Well, impossible, I suppose. But it's a goal. Some Eastern teacher or other said that; I forget which one. This place would be a lot less tense and a lot less obnoxious if everyone would give that principle a shot, I know that. I mean, say what you think and leave it there. And when someone else says what they think, again, just let it be what it is.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    ooh, how bout this one? Being a Christian is like trying to mummify yourself. Pulling your own brains out through your nose and storing them in a special box, nearby, in case you need them. But you're not going to.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Can we go back to not liking "PC" behavior while simultaneously taking umbrage with harsh criticism of one's faith? Because those are actually contradictory positions.

Well, unless PC is being used as a kind of carte blanche "things I don't like" idea.