main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Easy Correction to the Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER_DOODOO, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Hey, tell me what you think of this idea:

They go back and change the dialogue between Yoda and Kenobi at the end of The Phantom Menace.

"I will train the boy, without the council's permission if I must."

"Qui-Gon's defiance, I sense in you. Need that, you do not."

"I want to be Anakin's teacher."

"Then learn from me, you must. I will complete your training, Obi-Wan."

This would tie in the line Kenobi uses in ESB.

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    But Obi-Wan was ready for the trials. In fact, he kinda passed them by controlling his emotions, thinking clearly, and defeating a Sith Lord. Something no other Jedi in the current Order could say they've done. So what training does Obi-Wan need from Yoda?

Also it doesn't resolve the issue of what will happen to Anakin unless you're saying that conclusion should wait until the next scene?

A better place to tie in the Yoda training Obi-Wan bit would have been in AOTC during the Bear Clan session. Yoda could have mentioned something to the kids about Obi-Wan once being his Padawan just like them.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What really needs to be corrected is the abnormally large sun in the sunset scene.
    "It's coming right at us! Aieeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!"

4. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005
    Yah, that's not a bad idea! I guess the viewer can imply that, but it would be nice if Yoda would have said that. I just don't like the way it sits now. But I still think having the dialogue I offered brings more significance to both Kenobi becoming a master and Yoda being the master of masters. It would have been a way for Lucas to show the audience that Qui-Gon was the type of Master that could get Obi-Wan to Knight, but Yoda was the type of Master that could get Kenobi to Master.

5. OX-FAN-WHO

OX-FAN-WHO Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2003
    just seeing yoda teach the younglings should be enough. the next we'll be asking for GL to put in a line when saying"I don't own this droid"

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Heaven forbid someone actually, you know, think about it a second after paying attention to the films. Yoda trains a bunch of kids. Obi-wan talks about what Yoda used to tell him. It's not that difficult to figure out that Yoda trained Obi-wan first, then Qui-gon. Nor do you ever see Obi-wan ever owning a droid, much less Artoo and Threepio.

7. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    I woulden't mind Yoda mentioning to the younglings how he was once a youngling. It sounds like Yoda to encourage the younglings like that by comparing them to a now legendary Jedi Master.

But otherwise...yeah its quite clear Yoda trained Obi Wan.

I mean in highschool, don't you have mroe than one teachers? Or in public school, each eyar, don't you change teachers? Its not so far off to have more than one teachers.

Also, what I love about ROTS, is at the end Yoda basically says to Obi Wan:

"How to commune with him I will teach you."

;)

8. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

This does not make any sense to me, considering that Obi-Wan's revelation at the beginning of TPM and the younglings scene in AOTC had established that Obi-Wan had already been taught by Yoda for a while. And the Jedi Council scene in TPM revealed that Qui-Gon, as Obi-Wan's personal Jedi teacher, had declared that Obi-Wan was ready to become a knight.

9. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    It's not unthinkable that Kenobi was at once Yoda's apprentice, and was taken by Qui-Gon for some reason. Possibly being head of the jedi council was taking too much of Yoda's time.

More likely, all younglings at some point train in groups under all the masters on the council before getting their solo mentoring from a jedi knight.

10. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

Obi-Wan was NEVER Yoda's apprentice. He was taught by Yoda, like all of the Jedi around that time, AS A YOUNGLING. Why is that so hard to accept?

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I agree.

To give a SERIOUS answer to the question, however... :p

Not ONLY did Yoda have a hand in training all younglings, including Obi Wan Kenobi, but he ALSO worked with him in ROTS, foreshadowing their time together on Dagobah, and told him he had "training" for him in his "solitute" on Tatooine. Comprende, Master Poodoo?

12. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    That change would be redundant. Jedi training begins with children, taught by Yoda and others, long before being paired up with a Master. Yoda teaches you how to use the Force, your master teaches you when to use it in the real world. All of this is painfully obvious.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Youngling=Padawan. This comes from Yoda himself when he called the Youngling in AOTC a Padawan. So in a way, Obi-wan was Yoda's Padawan same as Dooku and Qui-gon and Mace.

14. jedi_prime

jedi_prime Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    I agree. It is my understanding that a youngling must be chosen by a Jedi Knight or Master to become their padawan learner. It is not automatic, and, in fact, there may be a good number of younglings that do not end up being taken on as a padawan. According to EU sources Obi-Wan himself was close to not being selected as a padawan.

Anakin's training was not in sync with this, however, and I believe that this was primarily due to his age, and maybe due to his potential status as the 'Chosen One.' Being ten, he was on the cusp of the age range for padawan learners to be selected anyway.

There are likely numerous instructors other than Yoda who participated in rearing and teaching the younglings. There is more to being a Jedi than meditation and lightsaber training, and it is more probable that other Masters or Knights who were 'in between' padawans would assist in fleshing out or complementing the teachings of Yoda and the other senior Masters.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda does Force training. Cin Drallig and Iron Hand teach Lightsaber combat, among others. Other Jedi handle basic learning like you would have in school. Another is in charge of piloting. So on and so fourth. Jedi Knights and Masters like Qui-gon are needed to teach the Padawans how to be Jedi in the field.

16. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    As Sinister said Yoda trains all younglings (with the exception of Anakin)...

Obi Wan was a youngling...

hence, Yoda trained Obi Wan.

Also as has correctly been pointed out Yoda taught Kenobi how to commune with Qui Gon so from this respect also Yoda trained Kenobi.

It is painfully obvious.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Clearly, at the time of the release of ESB, the idea was that Obi-Wan had been Yoda's apprentice ( post-youngling age ).

The popular supposition is that this changed with TPM. Maybe it's not that simple.

It is commonly held that Yoda never instructs padawans in the usual sense, only the younglings. Except the films don't actually claim this, merely implying that Yoda has no specific "older" padawan at the time of the PT.

I also believe that Dooku was Yoda's padawan at
    older-than-youngling age.

By the way, Yoda teaching Obi-Wan how to commune with Qui-Gon doesn't work as the explanation for the ESB reference. "Was I any different when you instructed me?" In other words at that point Obi-Wan was like Luke in ESB.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not a whole lot was talked about regarding Jedi training, prior to the PT. At least that I'm aware of. It was presumed that a Jedi trained an Apprentice and that was that. No one knew if it was world specific, like Dagobah or a training facility like the Temple. Lucas began working on the PT and came up with the idea of the Temple. And how it was structured. Now we know that there was structure and it was basically Jedi school.

19. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

EXACTLY! It would have been better to have a reference as to Obi-Wan taking DIRECT training from Yoda, and not group training or spot training.

"I will train the boy, without the approval of the council if I must."

"Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you. Need that, you do not."

"I've sworn to make Anakin a jedi."

"Jedi Master, you think you are? Heh."

"Master Yoda, you must see my commitment."

"Then with me, you will train. A master, you shall become."

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    We know Obi-wan got training from Yoda. That's all there is to it. You don't need something like that to make the obvious that much more obvious.

21. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes, we all just assume that because Yoda is head Jedi that everyone has learned from him. I don't think we need things with an already believable explaination to be spoon fed to us.

22. tglass1976

tglass1976 Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    The one on one training of Obi-Wan by Yoda happens after Episode III. Yoda teaches Obi-Wan how to commune with Qui-Gon. This is the more important training because Yoda knows there is more to the Jedi way of life than the old order taught. Yoda and Obi-Wan must instill this new way of order in Luke so he won't follow his father's path.

"More training for you I have. How to commune with him I will teach you."

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Again, at that point in time Obi-Wan is not young and impetuous like Luke in ESB. Therefore this does not suffice as the only example of one-on-one training of Obi-Wan by Yoda.

24. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

ESB Dialogue:

Yoda: "I cannot train him. He is reckless."

Kenobi: "So was I with Qui-Gon, if you remember."

Yoda: "Humph. He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training."

Kenobi: "Was I any different when I was with Qui-Gon?"

the "with Qui-Gon" parts are said real fast!!!

25. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Obi Wan was doing his best to give some confidence to Luke, by telling Yoda "so was I if you remember". Luke does not know himself how the Jedi system worked. Obi Wan also tells Yoda that Luke would "learn patience". Earlier Obi Wan tells Luke "the Jedi master who instructed me". The main point is Luke doesn't NEED to know about Qui Gon, because he's the only active "padawan" available to bring back the HOPE.

Its got really not much to do with the semantics, but giving some leeway for Yoda to train Luke and Luke to benefit from the training, despite his impetuousness.

Lastly, Yoda is smart by saying "will he finish what he begins?", hinting about someone *cough*Anakin*cough*. He's giving Luke a pointer there. [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.