main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Easy Correction to the Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER_DOODOO, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005

Yah! I like it. Keep it coming.

2. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

While I see where you're coming from, this answer isn't sufficient. The line would have gone:

"There you will learn from Master Yoda, a jedi master that instruced me."

or

"There you will learn from Master Yoda, one of the jedi masters that instructed me."

if that were the case.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan isn't a regular guy. He is a Jedi Knight and like the police & government agencies, he has to give a detailed report of what happened. Haven't you always wonder why you hear police officers, often in films or books, complain about filling out a report on what happened? That's why. They have to be very accurate and detailed with what happened, so that it is on record.

When Obi-wan met with the Council, he did not hide his feelings from them. He answered every question truthfully. Anakin hid his thoughts and feelings regarding what happened on Tatooine with the Tuskens. That's why he didn't get into deeper trouble than he was already in for disobeying orders. When the Council has no reason to sense deception, they will go on their instincts. In this case, they realized Obi-wan was ready. In the case of Anakin, they judged him ready for only part of his advancement. Not the rest of it.

Well, it cannot be changed due to Alec Guiness being dead. And people will know it is a soundalike or even Ewan.

4. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    You're reading far too much into one simple word. Obi-wan spoke in half truths to Luke all throughout the OT until the last few thirty minutes or so of RotJ. So he says "The Jedi Master who instructed me". It's basically the truth. Lucas didn't wanna bog the movie down any further by going into the heiarchy of the Jedi, hell, he probably didn't even have it in mind when he wrote the line. Looking at it from the stand point of I-VI, it makes good perfect sense, even when looking at it IV-VI I-III it makes sense. There's plenty of proof backing up Obi-Wan's claim. I for one don't want *anything* spoon fed to me. I had enough of that when I was in a high chair. I'm an adult now, I can feed myself. You've simply got to grasp what's being told here, and not want it spoon fed.

5. Galaxie_Star

Galaxie_Star Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2005
    ARRRGGG' COME ON PEOPLE, Obi-wan doesn't have to explain EVERYTHING........!!!!!!!!

Obi-Wan talking to luke just before he lose consience

-----> «Hi Luke, How yah doing. good, good. Look, go see yoda on Dagoba, it's the jedi master who trained me... well not exactly, Qui-Gon trained me but that was after. See yoda trained me when I was younger, that is why I said he was my master. so yep, he will train you. So you see, you can say I, Obi-Wan, trained you even tought yoda will train you now, see, it's the same thing for me and Qui-Gon...luke, are you ok?, you look a little pale!!!!»

6. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

We're not saying this. We're just saying that Kenobi should have said "A" jedi master instead of "the" jedi master if Yoda wasn't his most important mentor.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda was the most important part of Obi-wan's training. He taught him the Force. All Qui-gon did was teach him how to be a Jedi in the "real world". It's like the police academies. They teach you how to be a cop, but your senior level partner is the one who helps you to get on your feet out on the street.

8. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005
    I disagree. They made Qui-Gon out to be much more of a mentor to Obi-Wan than they did Yoda.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    At this point in Obi-wan's life, Qui-gon was important. The first 12 years were spent with Yoda. The last 12 were spent with Qui-gon. For a dozen years, Qui-gon and Obi-wan had been together. And before that it was the Grand Master himself.

10. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005
    Yoda isn't Kenobi's mentor, though. He's his teacher.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Qui-gon and Yoda were both teachers and mentors to Obi-wan. They teach lessons to Obi-wan, but they also help to guide him on his path to becoming a Jedi.

12. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Better yet, how about we change ESB so that Obi-Wan says:

"Head to the Dagobah system, where you will find Master Yoda, the Jedi master who instructed me. Well, he wasn't the only Jedi master who instructed me. You see, I was actually an apprentice of Qui-Gon Jinn...whom you know absolutely nothing about, so let me explain: All young Jedi were trained by Yoda and received continued instruction from him even after our knighthood and--Luke? Are you O.K.? Ah, hell, he's frozen to death! Yoda's not going to like this..."

13. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

That's about right!

"You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Master Yoda, the jedi master that blew it for the republic 20 years ago."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.