main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

eBook and Short Story page count, Mara Jade stories & Jabba's Palace timeline QUESTions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, a few questions:

1a) Could someone post the page counts for the following eBooks and Short Stories? :
    -The Crystal
    -Recovery
    -Emissaries of the Void
    -Red Sky, Blue Flame
    -The Apprentice
    -Yselia
    -A Forest Apart
    +Any NJO-era entries I haven't listed.

1b) Does anyone know the ratio of magazine pages to paperback pages?

The reason I'm asking as I'm curious as to how many pages of NJO stories outside the main novels have amounted, and to contrast that to the average page count of the previous "Tales of/From" anthologies, to see if we're already at or approaching the amount of material needed for a "Tales from the NJO" book.

2) Are there any Mara Jade stories set between ANH and Jabba's Palace? I know Mara Jade #0 and her cameo in Extinction take place prior to ANH, but I'm wondering if she's been featured anywhere else during the OT.

3) Has anyone assembled a timeline for the events of Tales From Jabba's Palace? I know I've seen an ANH timeline that factored in many of the TFTMC events, so I'm wondering if the same has been done for TFJP.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Are there any Mara Jade stories set between ANH and Jabba's Palace?

Mara Jade, I think, narrates the Galactic Battlegrounds section for The Empire, which all take place between ANH and Jabba's Palace, I believe (other than the clearly AU mission right at the end).

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well the events in that game are actually mara telling the story that happened after she had experianced them, so she is telling the story way after the fact. Also to note the AU story is still a interesting bit of "continuity".

"Continuity he says, how can this be."

Well the continuity is that mara wondering what would happen if empire had won, creates a simulation in which the idea is to try to help the empire survive. While she knows it's too late, and it won't mean anything(just wishful thinking on her part), she is still curious on if there is a chance that they could have won if they were prepared for the onslaught, and had a better commander in charge of the ground troops. So in this case the continuity is that Mara wrote a what-if story in the galaxy far far away, so it is an in-universe game.

Also of note is that even nute gunray writes his own what-if scenario for the battle of naboo as well in the game, because of his curiosity of what might have occured if the trade federation forces had won. So it too is an in-universe simulation game.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Recovery ends on page 82 of SBS paperback, but it starts on page 3, so it's actually 79 pages.

5. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    "Children of the Jedi" explained that Mara was on the planet Belsavis during the Battle of Hoth.

Also, Thrawn's promotion would have taken place during that time (probably), and she was there for that. Looking through "Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand," some situations are illustrated, such as her attending Baron Fel's award thingy (if that was after ANH is beyond me though).

Hope that helps some.

-Mazz

If you're desperate for more, I can probably find little hints as to what she did during that time. I'm not sure what you're going for, so I won't waste time with minute details...

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I'm not sure what you're going for, so I won't waste time with minute details...<<

My intent behind the Mara question is simply that I realized that, in Quest's EU TV Show Layout!, I don't have an episode featuring Mara for the first season, and one thing I tried to achieve was featuring certain characters who become prominent in later seasons in at least one episode early on to foreshadow their eventual roles- so Kyle, Thrawn, Corran etc make appearances.

I was just seeing if there was a Mara short story or something I'm not aware of that I could use as an episode in my layout (assuming the story is "worth" telling at the expense of another), that's all ::)

7. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Mara was featured in a few SWAJ short stories as I recall. I think one or two of them were reprinted in Tales from the Empire and/or Tales from the New Republic.

8. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Sweet! I didn't know Mara Jade was narrating in Galactic Battlegrounds! That's pretty freakin' cool. :D

Erm.. um... sorry for the random outburst.

9. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    In eBook Format:

Darth Maul: Saboteur: 51 pages
    Recovery: 92 pages
    Ylesia: 90 pages
    A Forest Apart: 55 pages

I think they all get shorter when printed in paperback.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, assuming the difference in Kevin's Recovery figure and the count ousley provided provides a stable ratio of eBook reduction to the printed page, that gives us the following so far:

Recovery :79
    Yselia: 78
    A Forest Apart: 47
    ----------------------
    204 pages

11. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Oh, this is semi-official...it was in the script for "Tag and Bink are Dead" but was pulled out due to page count numbers...

Mara was on a mission on Ord Mantell and ran into Tag and Bink. In the actual comic, they didn't actually end up going to Ord Mantell, but it was in the script!

So you need any more details? I have notes like "Mara visited Kuat during Emperor's Hand era" stuff, or is that not detailed enough?

The two stories Mara appeared in in the SWAJ took place after RotJ. "First Contact" (when Mara meets Talon Karrde) is 4 years after RotJ, and...um..."Retreat from Coruscant" (I think that's what it's called) takes place a while after the Thrawn Trilogy. Then of course there is "Sleight of Hand" taking place at Jabba's Palace (as seen in the Mara comic) during RotJ, "Jade Solitaire" which takes place after the Jedi Academy series, and "Handoff" that takes place before "First Contact."

Not that you needed all that info! ;)

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well Tag and Bink is infinities anyways so that really doesn't count as happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.