main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

eBook Question.......

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarByStar, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarByStar

StarByStar Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Hey i was browsing wookieepedia and realized that there are alot of ebooks out there. I managed to download for free Ylesia and Judge's Call on a disk. But where can i get some of the other ones?? I tried the Del Rey site and amazon.com

2. MiniRogue

MiniRogue Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2005
    You can actually get a lot of them from paperback reprints. For example A Forest Apart can be found on the reprint of Tattoine Ghost. I know theres a bunch of others but I cant remember all of them right now.

3. StarByStar

StarByStar Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    yea i have just about all star wars books,i forget that there are some in the books. But i know that there alot that arent available (still).

4. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    What's not available still?

5. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    The Hive (Cestus Deception)
    A Forest Apart (Tatooine Ghost)
    Darth Maul: Saboteur (Shadow Hunter)
    Fools Bargain (Survivors Quest)
    Recovery (Star by Star)
    Ylesia (The Joiner King)
    A Practical Man (I bet it shows up in the paperback of Betrayal)
    Equipment (Shatterpoint)

And Judges Call isn't really an e-book. Just a short story posted at Del Ray.

That's it though, there are no others. So, yes, every one is available.

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I purchased Dark Rendezvous and some others off of randomhouse.com (At least I think that was the site). If a book isn't out in Softcover (Betrayal, Darth Bane) it won't be in Ebook format yet. Actually, i think they wait even on new softcovers. Piracy is too rampant.

Carnage

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is there a way to pirate an Ebook?

8. MiniRogue

MiniRogue Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2005
    Yeah, its possible. You can pirate just about anything off the internet these days. Though why anyone would want to read a book off of a screen is still beyond me.

9. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    [Link removed]

No linking to pirated material, please.

10. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    I'd put that link out of your post, Sikon, if I were you.

11. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    That's what PDAs are for. ;)

12. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I never heard of judges call. I'll have to check it out.

13. Carnage04

Mar 8, 2005
    I've read a few Ebooks now. I thought the idea seemed ridiculous, but as long as it's a .lit type file and not just a scroll down word document....it's not too bad. I still prefer a normal book - as I spend enough time on my computer as is - but when all else fails, ebook.

Havoc - You can probably get more Star Wars Ebooks illegimately than you can get legimiately. People are pretty crazy about pirating stuff these days. There are groups out there whom post new stuff daily. I don't know if they even like the material they pirate or if they just like pirating stuff.

Carnage

14. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    They probably just like pirating stuff. Who'd want to watch a movie recorded by a camcorder at a theater? I'd like to think people aren't thatcheap.

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes, you can pirate e-books pretty easily.

No, you're not allowed to post links or discuss where to get an illicit copy, since it is illegal, after all.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The only short stories worth reading are Recovery, A Forest Apart, and Corphelion Interlude; the latter two are kangaroo-pouched in Tatooine Ghost. The rest are generic reads that you've seen before, and/or boring conversations.

17. Carnage04

Mar 8, 2005
    Indeed. I want to make it known that I was NOT promoting piracy. Frankly, you are going to pay for the material one way or another if you take that route. Either you buy the book from a reasonable site, or you watch your computer get ravaged by Spyware/Adware/Viruses. Someone might even be kind enough to insert a keylogger or some malware to get credit card information from you. Or of course, you end up paying someone like me.

I am an IT consultant. I mostly deal with small business clients, but I do quite a few Personal Computers too. I LOVE people that pirate stuff. Anywhere from 4-8 home computers a week come to me. 90% of them are infested with some nasty stuff because people have been pirating Software/Movies/Books/CD's/whatever. The $50 they saved by getting free movies turns into $70-140 for me to clean up the mess it caused. By simply paying for the stuff, they would have saved up to $90! If I am absolutely sure the stuff is illicit, I usually "Am very regretful to inform you that I will not be able to recover your files" (In others words...DELETE). The funny thing is, I have quite a few regulars. For some reason they would rather pay me more to fix their mess than just buy the stuff. Pirate all you want, but it's going to cost you more in the long run.

Carnage

18. Imperialles

Imperialles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Yes, all internet pirates are computer-illiterates who need help removing spyware and/or keyloggers.

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Carnage, why is it that viewing or saving so much as a picture or music file gives you spyware? And if Norton is so flashy, why no one has thought to program it to recognise repeat spyware file offenders and auto block it?

20. Sikon

Mar 29, 2006
    Contrary to popular belief, downloading a zipped text file will not get you infected.

Visiting a random website with one certain web browser is more likely to get you infected. But of course, if I pointed out what browser it is, I would be sued by its developers for libel (or banned on TFN for violating an obscure policy) so I'll better shut my mouth and pretend I've never seen this thread or posted anything here.

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    You mean like Microsoft Internet Explorer? :p

*sigh* I only edited your post because such things are covered in the Rules of Conduct:

User agrees not to post material that [...] otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.

[...]

User agrees not to post any material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right.[hr][/blockquote][/i]Linking to a site containing pirated material falls under those sections, which (I think) aren't especially obscure. I'm not out to squelch opinions, lock up free thought, or ruin anybody's day. You can talk about other stuff as much as you want, so long as it doesn't implicitly advocate breaking the law.

22. Carnage04

Mar 8, 2005
    It's not the viewing - it's two things.

A. The places you go to find these files. Certain Browsers will get hijacked simply by going to certain websites. In fact, there are software "Cracks" websites out there that you may find in a google search. When you click it, google actually informs you that you are treading in dangerous waters and asks you if you want to continue. They refer to them as "Badware" sites. It can mess your company up royally. I would give you more details but it would be giving explicit instructions on how to pirate software. ;)

B. Say you download a music file, trusting that it is what it says it is. Not always so. I can package anything together, label it "EXCELLENCES FAVORITE SONG" and post it for download. It may say .mp3, but it may very well actually be EXCELLENCES FAVORITE SONG.MP3.EXE....a program that will run and do something nasty to your computer. You never know what you are going to get.

C. Norton is pretty solid with Viruses and is making headway into the "Adware/Spyware" department, but is not quite there on the spyware thing. They operate on different premises. Programs like Adaware are vital as supplements to Norton to keep your computer bug free.

D. Imperialles, who said "Oh yeah, every pirate is computer illiterate" in a mocking tone doesn't realize that amount of people out there who purchase computers for the purpose of basically pirating music and very little else. Napster came into the picture and Theft (wait, I mean "File Sharing") was brought to the masses. Now everyone is out there typing "Free MP3 Downloads", hitting sites that hammer them with all sorts of nasty stuff, and ending up with a crippled machine. Trust me. This is what I've been doing for a living for 6 years now. Not everyone who pirates music/books/software is a computer genius that knows how to maintain their pc properly. Believe me or don't believe me. It was a slow week, in addition to my corporate accounts I cleaned up four PC's this week. Three were infected from trying to download movies....one from a teenage son looking for eye candy.

Carnage

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Interesting. [face_thinking]

24. Sikon

Mar 29, 2006
    It is Microsoft's fault for hiding extensions by default. You should ALWAYS have extensions shown. Luckily, they're shown in Linux by default.

25. JELLO-9000

JELLO-9000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2002
    Nonsense. The only people who get their computers infected through IE are people who (I. don't run updates II. Are running outdated versions of IE III. suck at computing anyway). IE leaks are through ActiveX, and unless you're foolish enough to allow any site to access your computer through ActiveX, then you're fine.

Both IE7 for XP and Windows Vista (in general) protect even idiots from those sort of problems. It takes a special type of gross incompetence to get your computer infected from a website.

:)

on-topic: I read an ebook once. It was nice.

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.