main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Eclipse of Faith--Obi-Wan/Anakin Drama Pre-AOTC *New Post* 10/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Eclipse of Faith

In the midst of a bitter dispute, Obi-Wan Kenobi and his headstrong apprentice are found trapped in a dismal situation. Anakin Skywalker will be tested as he has never been before when both their lives hang in precarious balance.

<>pg-13

<>Pre-AOTC

<>disclaimer: George Lucas owns it all.

<>

Try to see it my way
    Do we have to keep on talking til I can't go on
    While you see it your way
    There's a chance that we might fall apart before too long
    We can work it out?

We can work it out. -John Lennon & Paul McCartney

<>

"Who does he think he is?"

The sullen voice permeated the buzzing silence, tone edging on acrid. The small, cramped room nearly echoed the words, dingy white walls seeming to close in on the Jedi apprentice who sat in the core of it.

He shifted on the thin mattress, trying to find a spot without lumps, the base of his neck burning.

Anakin folded his arms behind his head and stared up at the ceiling.

Focus on something else?Focus on something else?Focus?

"Sith!" He spat, jaw tightening and hands fisting. The young man sat up with a low growl. He ran fingers through his sandy hair, grumbling as he always did when they caught in the annoying tail.

"What do I need this for anyway?!" Anakin demanded of the empty space, high forehead crinkled and dark sapphire eyes hooded.

He inhaled sharply and surged to his feet. "He just doesn't want me to get too far ahead." The Padawan murmured under his breath. "If I advance anymore, I'll leave him in the dust and he wouldn't want that, would he?" He paced the short strip of floor. "Spend all that time in the damned Temple and when we're finally offered an actual mission, he turns it down for this?this crap!"

Fiery anger seizing his body so that he felt the temperature flush in his cheeks, Anakin stormed out of his diminutive private quarters.

The swell of raging Force alerted Obi-Wan of his arrival before the resounding thud of his steps. His cerulean eyes flicked up to see the boy enter, black cloak sweeping behind him. Calmly, he returned his attention to the holopad, reclined on a threadbare tan sofa, legs crossed and stretched onto the table.

Anakin stopped a few feet away, legs parted and arms entwined against his chest.

Obi-Wan read the final sentence at leisure, then set the literature aside. His student was openly glaring at him, but he had come accustomed to the intense, irritated expression. He sighed. "Is there something you need, Padawan?"

The unfailingly even pitch of his inquiry sent waves of hot wrath through him. In their worst arguments, it was almost as if his vision was blurred by the inner conflagration. Does he always have to be so critical and?perfect?!

The most aggravating part of the conflict was Anakin was right.

Obi-Wan was, and would never admit to being, wrong.

"Yes." He began, surprised at the relative indifference in his reply." I want to know exactly why we're going on this pointless trip."

Obi-Wan Kenobi rose smoothly from his seat. His ginger mane was combed back, brushing against his neck, hair of identical, light color spread over onto his face in a short, neat beard. "I have explained this to you, Anakin. Several times. What more can I do?"

Anakin rolled his eyes. "You haven't explained anything except you don't think I can handle a simple assignment!"

Obi-Wan's brow furrowed. "When did I mention that in my reasoning?"

The boy gazed at him for a fleeting moment, then walked over to the rounded, rectangular window, resting his hands on the pane. The dazzling landscape was lifeless, the striking violets and whites dull to his troubled perspective. Words from long ago drifted into his thoughts. Space is cold. Tonight, it was freezing. He tucked the billowing sleeves of his robe around his hands, a habit unknowingly learned from his young mentor. "You didn't have to say it."

Eyes caressed by the hues of a sea fell to the ground. "If it sou

2. JediKnickers

JediKnickers Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    Awesome start, LuvEwan! Another story to look forward to, and perhaps some Ani-bashing, too? [face_devil] And..I get the first reply (probably because it's in the middle of the night and we're the only people awake)! :D Anyway, a quick question- is there any chance you'll spoil us with daily posts here too, like your Blurred Visions?

3. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Are you an Ani Basher? PLEASE SAY NO!!!!!!!!! Ani is a jerk in this! And I LOVE ANI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I love this story! Ani/Obi angst?? MUST HAVE IT!!!!! MUST HAVE IT!!!!!!

4. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Me? An Ani-basher? [face_mischief]

Why, I never...

[face_laugh]

5. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    You know, I'm pretty sure if you look up "Ani-basher" in the dictionary, it'll have LuvEwan's name right next to it. 8-}

Interesting start here! :D

6. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Great start, LE! You do such a great job with the emotions. More soon????

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Welcome to Ani-bashing Central. Woohoo! :p

Somebody oughta take a lightsaber and cut that kid down to size. Ani just jealous because he knows he's not as good-looking as Obi-Wan--oops, I meant cool--oops, I meant a good Jedi :D

8. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    What do we have here, a new story by one of my favorite authors.

** throws confetti in the air **

And it has evil, creepy, Sithly Anakin in it, no one writes irritating Ani better than LE, who is not just any Ani-basher, but the Master of all Ani-bashers! [face_laugh]

Great beginning LE, I already want to throw little Ani out a window. I can't wait to see where you are going with this new story! :)

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Interesting start- but what the heck were doing awake at that hour??

10. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    **Hope to get more replies with the second post. ;) I'm pretty sure I know exactly where this one is going, but I'm not certain of the length yet. Ya never know. [face_mischief] Of course, it will be a mixture of angst, drama, reminisces.... but I want there to be revelations too. **

Knickers Thanks! And I'm glad to see a fellow nightowl. :D Daily posts? :confused: Depends on how much attention this generates. But at least every other day, I think.

diamond Oh, you'll get the angst. But asking me not to bash Anakin is like asking me to forego food and water. [face_devil]

Happy_Hobbit [face_laugh] That's my goal.

Cas Thanks! [face_love] I'm glad you found it.

JadeSolo Why'd you say 'oops'? You were right on! ;)

Shiela As always, I want to mix Ani's good with his bad. So far, we're not seeing much good at all. But further into the fic, he might make a few changes. ;)

PK I usually go to sleep at three a.m. [face_blush]

<>
    Obi-Wan stopped at the double doors to the cockpit, arms lax at his side. In the hall, lighting rods barely flickered, and the inner friction bleeding onto his countenance was shaded, spilling onto his cheekbones and glistening strangely in his eyes.

A hidden place in his heart, sealed off so many years ago, out of necessity, a place that knew of the slim age difference between he and his Padawan, wanted to react with the same instinct and flippancy Anakin displayed.

For once, he wanted to shed the serene demeanor and address his apprentice's attitude using only the power of his concern and paternal devotion, force Anakin to see the honesty behind his recent actions.

The boy wasn't prepared for an official, Council-approved, Master-blessed mission again. Even if said Master was in charge of said mission.

If he'd just lower his shields and stifle his pride long enough to understand my motivations! A faint ache thrumming in his temples, Obi-Wan leaned his head against the cool wall. His eyes drifted closed, and he rubbed his fingers over the lids.

Does he believe I would spend additional cycles at the Temple simply to torture him? Obi-Wan wiped the thin sheen of perspiration from his forehead. Force, it's hot in here.

He heard the dramatic, overly noisy departure of the Padawan, but couldn?t bring himself to correct the rudeness. Anakin was nearly an adult. He needed to start controlling his outbursts, release the stress that fed the stubborn child grasping to his maturing mind. Or he would never overcome these frailties.

As much as Anakin Skywalker was convinced he was above normal human failings, Obi-Wan was determined to help him face the harsher truths.

But gods he was tired today.

Wishing not to loiter in the dusk of the corridor while there was still work to be done, Obi-Wan slipped his heavy robe easily off and entered the cockpit.

Keeping with the size of the other compartments of the humble transport, the control room was a modest, slightly dirty area, sickly saffron light beating down from artificial fixtures mounted to the ceiling. Unlike the usual niceties of Jedi vessels, this system didn't provide manipulation that could brighten or dim rooms.

The cockpit was as brilliantly lit as if the midday sun were streaming from open windows. Obi-Wan pinched the neckline of his tunic away from his chest. The creamy layers of Jedi regulation garb were tucked trimly into the dark leather belt, ending in a short gather just below his waist. Beige trousers hung loosely on his legs, but knee-high boots hugged the curve of his muscles calves. It was practical attire for assignments set in varying climates. Substantial enough to provide warmth, but with sufficient comfort to tolerate sweltering weather.

He had never given pause to complain, even to himself, about the clothing.

Obi-Wan sunk into the battered pilot's chair. Then why do I suddenly want to rip it off? He slicked his dampening hair back. I don't remember it b

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Are you insane? Wait, let me check.....yep, you are insane!!! Another story with all the other ones still going on!!!

Okay, that's over. Great start. I liked how you made Obi-Wan seem so patient when all he really wanted to do was shake some sense into Anakin. I know that you will make Ani the bad boy (oh, well) but I like the dynamics of this one so far.

Just make sure to update the others.....

12. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    You know -I'm TRYING to limit the number of fics I read - because time has become more precious than Obi's eyes lately - and THIS is not helping one bit.

Funny how Ani is so busy congratulating himself and preening on his abilities as the Chosen One - and can't even register the fact that his Master is sick. He is truly the Grand padawan of the original Insensitive Lout; too bad (for Obi's sake) that the trait skipped a generation. A lack of empathy would have saved our hero a lot of grief.

CYN

13. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Okay, I know it's summer and all, and you're not in school, but still, how the hell do you do it? I write one story and co-write another and I still can barely find time. You're amazing! :)

That said, can you please do something about Ani? You write him so unabashedly (and well, I might add) as a lousy little brat that even I want to kill him. That kid needs an attitude adjustment courtesy of a lightsabre wielded by his Master. A couple or fourteen third-degree burns ought to do it. :D

Great start, LE (not, of course, that I expect anything less of you!).

Shaindl

14. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    LE, you go to sleep at 3 am? So do I!! :)

must...resist...throttling...Chosen Brat...nope, resistance = futile. His master's under the weather and he can't even see that, he's so...so...hmm, what's a good synonym for "easy to hate"? By the way, the line about him ripping off his clothes-- [face_laugh] (I'm sorry, I couldn't help it!)

time has become more precious than Obi's eyes lately CYN, you definitely have a way with words :)

15. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Ok, now don't expect me to do this again.....ANAKIN YOU LITTLE BRAT! STOP BEING SO PROUD OF YOURSELF!!! HELP OBI! NOW! ***threatens to slice his padawan braid off if he doesn't*** AND I MEAN NOW!!!!!!!!

***takes a deep breath and laughs nervousley*** Umm, heh heh. You didn't see that. ***clears throat*** Must have Ani/Obi angst! But NICE Ani/Obi angst. Kind. I liked the last post though!

16. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Yes, I found it. :) I always check your latest posts to make sure I don't miss a new story you've started.... And 3am? I used to do that until I realized I wasn't going to get over my bad cold unless I went to bed earlier. Don't get as much writing done now, though.

Hmmm. Anakin needs to stop thinking about himself so much and notice Obi-Wan's not well.

I love the interaction here, the way Anakin misses what's really going on with Obi-Wan. He's so much into himself. And so touchy. You caught that trait perfectly.

Great job, as always, LE! :D

17. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Hmmm thanks for your biased Anakin characterisation.

Your fanfic would be good if you were a bit more fair and balanced in that respect.

Shameful, truly shameful.

18. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi JKBurtola,

I understand your reservations. However, flames aren't accepted around here. Constructive criticism is one thing, but to tell a writer her hard work is shameful is another thing entirely. Moreover, if you had bothered to read LE's responses to readers at the beginning of the second post, you would have seen that she stated that she likes to mix the good with the bad in her characters (as does any good author) and that we just haven't seen any of the good in Anakin yet. The second post is far too early to criticise a characterisation in any story. I suggest that you give LE time to establish her plot and characters before you make such sweeping judgements.

Any author on these boards loves seeing a new reader. I hope you'll stick around and see just how wonderful a writer LE truly is. If not, that's your choice, and incidentally, your loss.

Shaindl

19. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Oops. My bad. Double post.

20. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Shaindl:

No doubt that LuvEwan is a very good writer. However...

But asking me not to bash Anakin is like asking me to forego food and water.

This post, as well as the apparent sadistic pleasure that some of the readers here seem to get out of hating and bashing a fictional character, is what JKBurtola was referring to as "shameful". I had popped in this story when I saw "Obi/Ani" because I was hoping for a good Obi/Ani bonding story, and I was appalled at how much pleasure everyone seemed to take in telling diamond_pony that Anakin most certainly would be written as a brat, and I was also appalled that LuvEwan said that Ani-bashing was her goal. I feel strongly that unless the author is writing an AU, he/she should stick to the characterization in the movies.

I had resolved not to come in here anymore, and I was disappointed, because LuvEwan writes very well--but I can't stomach extreme anti-Anakin bias.

However, if she does what she says she's going to do, and shows us the good with the bad, then I'll stop by again.

21. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh wow. I didn't know goofing around would cause such strong reactions from people. [face_shocked] Let it be known that I don't care for Anakin as a character because of what he became. I enjoy writing him in his youth because of the challenge of balancing his flaws with his goodness, because I AM FULLY AWARE that he was good to begin with, otherwise I doubt Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan would have wanted to take him on as a Padawan.

The 'Ani-bashing' you're objecting to are the little comments that I exchange with other writers on the side, usually with ' 8-} ', or something like that. I DON'T want to alienate readers who like Anakin, because, if you've ever actually read one of my stories, you'll see that I don't try to make him come across as a complete jerk. On the first two posts of this story, which only equal four pages, they are engaged in an argument. I don't know about you, but when I'm aruging with someone, I don't tend to act sweet and understanding...Anakin DOES argue with his Master in Ep.2. This fight is the basis for my entire fic. I have a complete storyline worked out, in which Anakin's other side is prevalent: his care for Obi-Wan, and his goodness. It's only through this fight that some realizations can be made...on both fronts, for Master and Apprentice. I refuse to believe that Anakin was never an obstinate, disagreeable child who quarreled with his Master. They're fighting during this early stage of the story, so wouldn't be exchanging fond words or anything like that. BUT this fic will include times where Anakin was a great person, as well as a difficult person. The Chosen One has many layers. So far, I've described one. That DOESN'T mean there aren't several others to address. It just means I've only just begun the story.

I hope other readers aren't turned off to this by the jokes I share with readers I've known for awhile, and have conversed with on other fics since I've joined this site. I've written a fic called 'Mists of Yesterday' , during which I had many comments that Anakin was being very understanding, and that it showed many sides of him, or something to that effect.

If people are really that annoyed by the replies I give to some of my older readers, I suppose I can tone it down, even though they were meant to cause a chuckle...nothing more. I'm not hateful of Anakin. I just don't think he, nor Obi-Wan, is perfect, and neither is their relationship.

I must admit, I've been soured to this fic already, but I hope in the future the replies will be limited to content of the story, not the personal opinion I share with friends in a joking fashion.

22. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Double post. [face_blush]

Thanks for the pm, Shaindl.

And if you've ever felt alienated, diamond_pony, I want you to let me know. I'll pm you about what you asked me about later. ;)

23. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I appreciate your in-depth response to my concerns, LuvEwan. You have been recommended to me as an author, so I did want to check out your work, and I really like your style. And now comments on the actual story...hopefully Anakin will eventually notice that Obi-Wan is sick. He is being self-centered. He could end up feeling pretty guilty later when his concern with his own alleged mistreatment causes him to neglect the fact that Obi-Wan is sick.

My disgust was more with what I perceived to be an attitude among some readers of, "YAY! Make Ani a horrific brat so I can tear him limb to limb! I can't wait!" It just seems kind of sick to me to want to hate a character.

But anyway, if it does make a difference to you, you have not alienated me as a reader.

24. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks for the reply, anakin_girl.

But I hope you don't think that any of my readers are 'sick'. They are friends of mine, and they're comments aren't literal. I don't think anyone here 'hates' a fictional character. Or, if they do, not to that extreme.

I can understand how someone could come into a thread and not understand the jokes between people who interact on other threads. Just please don't think that these wonderful people are wrong for joking around.

I'm glad that you haven't been turned off to this. I'm really looking forward to writing this, and delving into the depths of Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship.

LE

25. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Nice story so far, LE! *loves the title*

Can't wait to read the next part of this fic. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.