main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Edge of Tomorrow (All You Need is Kill adaption) aka LIVE. DIE. REPEAT.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Dec 29, 2013.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It was a fun film, should have done better.

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Apparently its impossible to win when you go up against an army of Teenage girls who want to see a movie they love. Been that way since the Beatles. Don't ever stand in the way of an army of teenage female fans. You will be mowed down. Tom Cruise learned this the hard way. By the way who was the user here that actually thought Tom would win? Not that this is a bad film. Its a really good action film and worthwhile. You can see it again its that good.

To the user that will now have to see the Fault with our Stars. Here is a box of tissues. Just in case you want to cry. In the meantime we will enjoy Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt and a good film.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I liked Oblivion and wouldn't mind seeing this based on the review consensus.

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You're the first person to ever say that Kiki.

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm not saying Oblivion was great or that I'd expect this to be but I'd watch it.

Plus Tom's movies have to be profitable or what will happen to the church dammit?

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Critics generally liked Edge of Tomorrow better than the people who actually saw it, based on CinemaScore, if that means anything. I liked Edge of Tomorrow a lot, save for the last 10 minutes or so of the movie.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Yes, how unfortunate that they go see a good movie.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    First Will Smith and now Tom Cruise. Guess the "movie star" is over and done with.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't think it was ever going to do very well in the U.S. regardless of when it opened. If Edge of Tomorrow hadn't been so deep into production when Oblivion failed to connect with audiences, I don't think it ever would have been greenlit for $180 million.

The problem is that it's just an upscale version of all the recent low rent alien invasion movies like The Darkest Hour, Battleship, etc. It's hard now to tell the difference between the $20 million versions and the $200 million versions.

This one looked a bit better, had a somewhat better script, and starred Tom Cruise, but it might as well have been Battle: Los Angeles for all the moviegoing public cares.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Agreed. The movie failed for me right then and there. It played out like a FPS video game yet at the end the movie forgot the rules of the game or otherwise tossed them out the window for the sake of a happy (?) ending.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I passed on this because I didn't feel like seeing a movie this weekend. But the book it comes from is awesome.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It explains why people stayed away.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Not really. As noted, "The Fault In Our Stars" had a high box office from young girls looking for the next "Twilight" type romance. "Oblivion" do didn't well and "Jack Reacher" less so, but "Ghost Protocol" did well. "After Earth" is the first Will Smith film to really not do well, but "Men In Black 3" did very well.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    MIB 3 didn't make back its budget domestically.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Only $15million. I saw it too. Luckily I had a gift card.

I thought the looping, particularly in the first hour, was very well done. It was done quickly, sharply and with a surprising amount of humor. I laughed a lot; I think the first attempt at the truck roll was the biggest laugh I had. Or maybe the "jinx, bitch!" line. I thought all the actors were fine; Cruise was solid, Blunt was fine, Gleeson was very good and Paxton was hilarious.

It certainly engaged me and kept me entertained. The justification for the looping was maybe a little too sci-fiey and certainly came out of nowhere, but, hey, what are you gonna do? The last twenty minutes or so disappointed; the film's main hook, the looping, gets jettisoned - "I haven't lived this before" Cruise says - and it becomes a generic Alien rip-off. And that denouement? That, folks, is what happens when you have no idea how to end your movie. Apparently, the script's ending went through several rewrites because they kept feeling they couldn't get it right and I heard somewhere that they even started shooting without the ending set - it shows. But it can't destroy the sheer entertainment value of the film as a whole. I give it a solid *** 1/2 stars rating; recommended, in other words. Could have been great with a better ending and a tighter second hour in general.

As to the whole "death of the movie star" thing, I bet the less than expected numbers on opening weekend is still part of the negative reaction to Oblivion. I expect people waited to hear word of mouth on Edge of Tomorrow, based on Oblivion's lack of quality.

jp-30 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

No, but it still made $624 million all told.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just saw it. Pretty good, but I don't have any interest in seeing it again.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hopefully seeing it on Friday or Saturday.

21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I saw it. I enjoyed it. I am unashamed.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Re The Fault in Our Stars, usually when a movie makes 6 or 7 times its production budget on opening weekend, it's a Paranormal Activity sequel.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I quite enjoyed it myself.

but yeah this movie was never gonna make big money. Not against the teen girl movie, and not with recent sy-fy failures, and Cruises recent critical failure in Oblivion.

I'd still put the film next to sy-fy greats we have gotten the past few years. Plus Emily Blunt, best parts of the film are when she's in the training room arcing her back.

Sarge and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Reminds me of some of the lines from the Star Wars fan video "Tie-tanic" like:
    "And what of teenage girls? If the rebels arouse sympathy and pathos in adolescent girls, it is possible however unlikely, they might find a market, and exploit it."

I saw this a few days ago. The retreads through each resurrection were skillfully done where it didn't feel repetitive like resetting a video game and the movie moved fast enough for its plot. The aversion with the dam was a nice touch; characters shouldn't be able to figure out everything mysterious all the time. I don't know why the aliens were called Mimics and it's another movie where the aliens just seem too one-note and animalistic in a way that they are impossible to be defeated by humans at all. It looks like it is getting good word-of-mouth and gaining interest in people who didn't see it opening weekend but does that even help a big action movie at the box office the second and third week anymore or do people just add it to their Netflix queues and wait? Theatrical attendance is so arbitrary; this is only my second
    time at the theatres this year.
    I then rewatched Oblivion, completely forgetting everything it was said to rip off from Moon to 2001: A Space Odyssey and it stands on its own well-enough, at least in production design. I do like Cruise's effort in bringing more not-so-formulaic, kind of below-the-blockbuster-level sci-fi movies and without being the perfect hero in his roles. Supporting cast members have been an advantage in a lot of movies as well.

25. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I still wanna see it. I know it's popular to hate Thom Cruz but I have a habit of indulging in guilty pleasures like sci-fi movies, regardless of who is starring in them.

I HOPE THAT'S OKAY WITH YOU YOU SALTY LITTLE ***** WHO THINKS SHE OWNS THIS PLACE.

Sorry for the hate. I'm drunk.

Rogue1-and-a-half and BigAl6ft6 like this.