main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT EditDroid Demo LaserDisc Footage (extra dialogue)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by crcook84, May 30, 2016.

1. crcook84

crcook84 Jedi Knight

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure most everyone knows by now of the newly discovered Jedi raw footage that came from a EditDroid LaserDisc someone won on eBay or something. The web was abuzz about how it redeemed Obi-Wan because it shows that he wanted to tell Luke about his father but Yoda told him not to until later. Because he found out before he was “ready”, in Yoda’s opinion, he was now weaker emotionally. The thing is what would have been of benefit if they had waited to tell Luke?

I see at least two different outcomes to this scenario: Luke becomes dejected after this because he finds out his mentors lied and his father is evil. After he’s has a time to grieve, he’s ready to face Vader and, when his mentors offer him some advice about how to deal with his father, his reply might be similar to, “You lied to me all this time about who my father is. Do you really think I’m going to take your advice on how to deal with him?”

The other scenario is he takes their advice. But, when he goes to confront his father, no matter how emotionally prepared Yoda and Obi-Wan try to make him, he is not prepared to deal with the good he still feels in him and, as such, cannot bring himself to kill him. His mentors try to help. But, no matter what they say, he ends up in the emotional state he was in the movie anyways.

I know that to go into more detail about how Luke would deal with each scenario would just make this post even longer. But, from a psychiatric point of view, would there have been a good moment to tell Luke who is father was?