main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Editorial: A Trend That Annoys Me To No End.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    A trend that is becoming more and more flagrant all the time is the characterization of George W. Bush as some new version of Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin.

I agree that every human being has the right to judge whether or not he believes that George Bush is a good president or even a good man. However, it saddens me deeply to see the names of history's two greatest tyrants thrown around like an insult that can be easily applied to anyone who takes action that the public views negatively.

Hitler and Stalin were simply the most evil men that have ever lived. They existed in almost a different world than we can comprehend. They were driven by racism, paranoia, and a hatred of their fellow human beings that befuddles human understanding.

To hear of the concentration camps where millions of innocent people, people who had dreams, hopes and aspirations, people who loved and hurt and bled just like we do today; to hear the stories of countless women raped and murdered and killed; to hear the stories of Stalin starving his own citizens so badly that parents pickled and ate their own children; to hear stories of villages in Eastern Russia burned to the ground and children who were murdered in cold blood; of young women who survived by eating blood omelettes and eating the bark off of trees, or selling their bodies to invading soldiers, of bodies piled ten fight high: these stories should be disturbing and powerful to us.

It was because of these men's hatred and megalomania that 75 million people died and countless more had their lives ruined.

To bandy about their names as some insult in a political game is insulting to me as a sensitive human being; but more importantly it is insulting to the soldiers of the Democracies of Western Europe, Africa, and Asia that gave so much in the struggle to save their own citizens and their way of life from the touches of these madmen so that we can live our lives free and unmolested.

If you compare a man like George W. Bush to people like Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin, you should sometimes pick up a book called "The Fall of Berlin", or perhaps "The War of the Century," and take a quick refresher course in what horror, tyranny, and destruction truly is and what, if driven by dictators and racial propaganda, the human soldier can so willingly and proudly do.

These were men who were the closest we ever came pure evil on our planet.

Or have we so quickly forgotten?

Your point seems to be made. If you want to continue this discussion, it is going to have to be re-focused in a more generic sense.

2. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I totally understand your point.

However, that's politics. Politicians have been called and called each other every name under the sun since the beginning of campaigns.

3. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    It's not so easily excused. The use of the Hitler image in relation to President Bush has been used by the left to a very extensive and irresponsible degree.

Ciou-See the Sig

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I prefer Curious George. He's not a monster, just a monkey that gets over his head sometimes. That's GWB perfectly. And he looks like him as well. So it works.

As to the comparisons it's not just a left thing, Roosevelt used to be called Roosefelt to imply that he was jewish. It's a common political tactic, name dropping is. And while GWB may not embody Stalin or Hitler fully, but his convictions that he's right and everyone else is wrong is a component to Hitler and Stalin. So the comparison isn't completely unfair; it depends on the context and I personally don't believe there's enough justification to call him such a name. Although he is a war monger, but hey what Republican isn't? ;) I kid. I kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.