main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Edmontooine Book Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by geekgirl76, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Well, I guess this is the ?ooh, I read this great book? thread, or I suppose it could be the ?Blah, that book sucked? thread depending on what we?ve been reading. :) I know this is a pretty well read group generally, so we should be able to make some recommendations to each other. I don?t think there?s any reason to limit this to sci-fi, I think Sci-Fi/Fantasy is only about 40% of my reading, and I imagine that?s not uncommon in this group.

I guess I?ll go first:
    I never used to read mysteries but I?ve kind of caught the bug in the last couple years so I?ve been going through Faye?s library. O.k. I finished her library, at least the ones I liked. :D A friend sent her a one to read and me being desperate for anything grabbed it. It was ?One For The Money? by Janet Evanovich. This one was fun, a kind of film noir set in New Jersey. I really liked the character; she loses her job as an underwear buyer for a department store so she decides to work for her bail bondsman cousin. She?s more that a little inept but she starts to figure things out; except when the first person she?s supposed to catch is someone she slept with in high school. This is apparently a series now, (the first one was written in 94), it?s up to seven books so I should be busy for a couple weeks if the library doesn?t take its time. I?d definitely recommend them, even if you?re not really into mysteries.

Berx, which Zahn book? I love his non Star Wars writing, I have most of his stuff. I'm missing Manta's Gift, but other than that and a couple short stories compilations I think I've got em' all. I wouldn't recommend the Conquerors Trilogy right off the bat, it's kind of hard-core sci-fi, but I liked it. I think my favorite is Angelmass.

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    It's actually Angelmass that I picked up. I didn't know it was part of a series. I only read the first two pages though since I picked up some SW books and even though I own them I have to read them first. After Angelmass I need to start reading some books for school ('Obasan' and 'The Great Gatsby') then it's back to the library for me. I also have a research project and an essay due so I won't be reading much except for the almost 3 hour round trip bus ride every day to get to school and back.

When I get back to it though I'm looking to expand my horizons. I'm not one for mysteries but I think I'd like Horror and Tom Clancy type books.

3. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Best part about taking the bus, you get to read all the way there. :)
    Angelmass isn't isn't the one in a series, that's a different set all together. Gatsby's great though. I have to get them back from a friend but I can lend you any of the Clancy books, they tend to hurt the wallet if you want to buy them.

4. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Right now I'm reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel for a book group I'm in. It's supposed to be a really great book but I'm not liking it. It's about a boy and some animals who are the only survivors of a sinking ship.

I finally finished reading Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy series, I really enjoyed.

Right now I'm into Ken Follet, more the world war II books than any that take place in the present. I just finished reading The Eye of The Needle. Its about a German spy who has found out Englands great Deception about the fake army they have amassed in parts of the country and he's trying to escape back to germany to warn hitler.
    Gatzby was good, did it in school
    Liann

5. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    What is the Hitchikers Guide about? I've been curious about it for awhile but I've only just recently started reading non-SW books (not counting LOTR) so I have a lot of catching up to do [face_blush]

6. liannb

Jun 30, 2002

Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.
    Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox--the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years.
    Where are these pens? Why are we born? Why do we die? Why do we spend so much time between wearing digital watches? For all the answers stick your thumb to the stars. And don't forget to bring a towel!

thats the description off amazon. There are five books in total.

Liann

7. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    They forgot Colin, the deliriously happy security robot. :p I have quotes from this series everywhere, it's funny as hell.

In order they are:
    -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    -The Restauraunt at the End Of The Universe
    -Life, The Universe, And Everything
    -So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish
    and
    -Mostly Harmless

8. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Not bad books. 5 books in a four book trilogy.
    (Just don't watch the movie. Boring as all get out. Only movie I've actually fallen asleep watching, and that was in two parts!) The new one with Warwick Davis should be better...

9. Vua__Lah

Vua__Lah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Berx here... using a sock cuz I can't log in :(

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. I'll try those books out sometime :)

10. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I haven't read any newer books lately, but Stephen King's Dark Tower series got another book just a few months ago, bringing it to 5 in total so far, with 6 due out in August and the 7th and final one in November of this year.

They are really excellent books, have a very Epic type quality to them, and I really enjoy them. They aren't your "typical" Stephen King type of books, but in my opinion, they are better, and I LOVE the rest of his books.

If you have a chance, pick em up from the library or something, or if you are interested, I can lend out the first 4 (don't own the 5th one). The first book is fairly short (only a few hundred pages) so you can get an idea if you like the story before having to read his usual 700-900 page marathons... :)

11. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    What's it about?

12. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    I've had that King series for years now.....and for whatever reason have never read them. I'm a huge King fan....which makes me not reading make even less sense.

I'm reading absolutely nothing at the moment....except for magazines. I go through periods where I read a ton and then I don't read anything. I'm not sure why...it's just always been that way. For months I read a whole bunch of Star Wars books.....I think 10.....maybe more. And since I don't know....July or August I guess....I haven't read anything. I have...unread....King's Gunslinger series, his collection of short stories - Nightmares and Dreamscapes, the first and second Harry Potter books, a couple of Star Wars books and countless other older books. Hmmmmm.....I wonder what will be the first thing I pick to read once I start reading again.....

13. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Timothy Zahn is doing a webchat at the Official Site Tuesday February 3 3:30pm our time if anyone is interested. liann

14. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Sweet! :D :cool: I totally forgot about Survivor's Quest til now

15. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm second on the list at the library :D
    I'll definately check it out, thanks.

16. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    I've just started reading New Sring by Robert Jordan. Its a Prequel to his Wheel of Time series.
    The Series is pretty good. There are ten books so far and no end in sight to them yet. Its hard to describe but here's the best description I could find.

Set in a world where two kinds of magic exist, one female and the other male, the Wheel of Time series features the hero Rand. Rand is on an epic quest to unite the diverse peoples of his planet against the Dark One, who threatens to destroy their world. His quest takes him through a series of complex and well-delineated alien cultures.

Eye of the World
    The Great Hunt
    Dragon Reborn
    Shadow Rising
    Fires of Heaven
    Lord of Chaos
    A Crown of Swords
    The Path of Daggers
    Winter's Heart
    Crossroads of Twilight
    New Spring

There pretty adictive once you get started. The last one was a little dull though. liann

17. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    More books to add to my list. Thanks liann :)

I actually get to start Angelmass this week now that I'm finished my new SW books

18. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    So has anyone read "Suvivor's Quest" yet?

19. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Nope. I was going to pick it up this month but I need wheels and I need to pay my insurance so I won't be getting it til next month. First time I haven't picked up the book within a month of its release. Oy it hurts!

Anyway I'm reading Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy now. That book is freaking hilarious. I'm on the third book now (can't remember the name).

20. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm still waiting for it to come in at the library.

21. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I checked with the library today on the status of "Survirors Quest" - Position in holds queue: 1 :D

22. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
  23. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Well, I've got it in my grubby little hands :D I did a little happy dance when I got the e-mail saying it was in. I'm about half way through. I forgot how much I like Zahn's Star Wars stuff, miles ahead of any of the NJO books. I think I'll be evil and keep it the full 3 weeks just cause I can. [face_devil]
    I love how he acknowledges the fans, this one's for the 501st :)

24. banana

banana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    so are so bad [face_devil]

banana :D

25. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    OR you could finish it and then lend it out to your friends... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.