main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Edmontooine Book Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by geekgirl76, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I don't know... I got hooked on his stuff when I was 12 or 13, so I like it no matter what... they aren't childish by any means, and they also aren't like Harry Potter where they are for kids but adults can read them too... just that they aren't as "deep" as Lord of the Rings or some other fantasy series...

I guess the best way to describe them is a light, fun read that doesn't take itself too seriously, but yet the stories are very entertaining and the characters and plots are very well written... :)

If you do want to read any of his stuff, let me know and I can suggest some good series to start off in (and probably lend them to you, as I have alot of his books).

Indy

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
  3. furhead16

furhead16 Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2004
    Right now I am reading through the Halo series of books. I loved the story in the game, and thought the books might be ok. I bought the first one and finished it in about 3 days. It was awesome. I didn't think it was gonna be really good, being based on a video game and all, but man I was blown away. I am on the second book right now, the book that covers the story of the actual game. The first book is called "The Fall of Reach" and is only $10. I can lend it to someone when I move to Edmonton, along with the other books.

Has anyone read the Dune series? I was thinking of getting into it, but it looks big and daunting, and I wanna know if it is a good read before I buy that huge book. Any comparisons to other books?

4. Hollywood_Ghost

Hollywood_Ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2004
    ya, dunes alot like the bible.

5. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, video game books are underrated. I really liked the Resident Evil books. I wasn't a big fan of Dune but that's just my opinion. A lot fo politics in the opening chapter (which is all I read). If you can read through that then you're set.

6. Hollywood_Ghost

Hollywood_Ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2004
    are the rouge squadron books any good? i havent read them or the comics and was thinking of getting into them since i'm working on that board game that is pretty much epic duels with spaceships and scenarios. Are there any cool ideas or anything i could lift from it?

7. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    They're a good read. Some of my favs.

So anyone reading anything good?

8. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Dune is a really good series for the most part.

Read the first 3; Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune, and then stop... trust me, you won't miss anything from the last 3 books of the series. Actually the first bit of the 4th one isn't that bad, but after that it just gets stupid and confusing. I have read the first 3 numerous times though, they are great!

Lots of intrigue, lots of great storytelling, and AWESOME character development... truly some of the best books of our time.

Then go ahead and read Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's "House" series, in order. Quite comparable to the originals, very well crafted and told.

Then read the ones they are writing now; The Butlerian Jihad and The Machine Crusade (with The Battle of Corrin forthcoming). Also good books.

Indy

9. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    So how's The Grand Crusade, Terry? :p

10. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    It's was good. Lots of tension obviously, good suprises that keep changing the posible outcomes. I guess that's expected when the theme of a story is prophesy. :) The end was a little abrupt but over all I think it was the best of the three.

11. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    You guys have GOT to read the Red Dwarf books. I'm on my second one now, "Last Human" by Doug Naylor. It is utterly, splendidly, HILLARIOUS. Science Fiction mixed with comedy, best result - Red Dwarf.

It's all a science-fiction fan could want. :D

EDIT: Fully back to the forums, running on 20iph (icons per hour) ;)

12. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Just finished "Angels and Demons". I think I've definitely found another "must read all his stuff author". This one wasn't quite as good as DeVinci Code. He has great puzzles that make his work really fun to read. You?re able to work it out for yourself instead of some books that have this great mystery that you can?t possibly solve with the information given. (and hey, I found a use for all that Art History I took) :D

As for Red Dwarf, is it the same people writing the books as did the show? I have problems with authors writing for other peoples characters. *cough*KJA*cough*

I love the trafic cone quote, Red dwarf has some of the best dialog :)

13. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    Definetly :)

And yeah, it's the same people, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. That also reminds me, Red Dwarf had a Demons and Angels episode, lol :)

14. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    This "Dragon King Saga" that I'm reading right now is pretty good. The first book (it's three in one) is pretty slow and archetypal but it really pick up in the second. I'm about half-way through the whole thing right now and it can be slow sometimes but overall it's a good read.

I've reserved Talion by Mike Stackpole at the library since I heard it was really good. Anyone have any other books I should check out?

15. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    I've just read a fantastic book, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, heres a quick description.

While in Paris on business, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher. While working to solve the enigmatic riddle, Langdon is stunned to discover it leads to a trail of clues hidden in the works of Da Vinci -- clues visible for all to see -- yet ingeniously disguised by the painter.

Langdon joins forces with a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, and learns the late curator was involved in the Priory of Sion -- an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci, among others.

In a breathless race through Paris, London, and beyond, Langdon and Neveu match wits with a faceless powerbroker who seems to anticipate their every move. Unless Langdon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine puzzle in time, the Priory's ancient secret -- and an explosive historical truth -- will be lost forever.

they main story line that the description never metions is that its a search for the holy grail, if you know a lot about the holy grail you might not like it, but since all I know is what I saw in the last crusade It didn't bother me, All the reviews I've seen on the book is either you love it or hate it. Personally I don't usually read mystery/suspense type books but this was great. It sucked me in right from the first page and I couldn't put it down.

16. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Wasn't it fantastic? I loved it and have started on his earlier stuff.

17. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I just requested it at the library... but I am 588th in line... yes, that isn't a typo...

Ugh...

18. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Yeah, I think I was at about 350 when I requested it. They have lots of copies circulating so it goes faster that you'd think. On the plus side it must be coming out in paperback soon, if not already. Sometimes the list drops way faster after that because people go out and buy it instead.

You can borrow Angels and Demons while you wait. (when my mom finishes with it. ;) ) It's the same character, earlier book.

Ronny Howard got the rights to Da Vinci Code, he's making the movie. It might actually be watchable. :) I cringe at the thought of how bad it could be in the hands of a big studio. :p

19. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, shouldn't be too bad... I have some other books I can read in the meantime anyways if I have to... ;)

I'll see how close I am to getting Da Vinci when your mom finishes with the other one, okay?

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Da Vinci Code.. I believe I've actually heard of that one!

Heh, if the waiting list is that long I think I'll hold off. Sounds like an interesting book but Suspense isn't my usually my cup of tea.

21. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    We're doing it for our book group so I went to request it at the library and was number 500 and some, so I broke down and bought it because I'd never get it before book group. I didn't want to buy it, because who wants to spend $30 on a book they might not even like, but it was worth every penny. I'd be happy to lend it to anyone who wants to borrow it, I'm just lending it to someone else in the book group right now but I should have it back by the end of the month.

The Angels and Demons one actually takes place before the Da Vinci code, I might pick it up this week. The only problem is I don't like reading scary suspensfull things at night, gives me bad dreams thats why I don't usually read those kind of books.

22. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Sure, I would love to borrow it when you get it back, if I haven't gotten it from the library already... thanks!

23. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    LOL I know what you mean Liann. I do most of my reading LATE (like 3am when even the infomercials are off the air) so reading scary stuff is a little nerve racking

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    after reading a bunch of books about life after death, I'm now scared to opens my eyes in the dark cause I don't want to see any ghosts, it sounds very stupid when you say it in the middle of the day, but when its late at night and very dark its creepy. thats why I don't like reading scary books, it freaks me out and of course I think about all the scary things right when I'm going to sleep.

25. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I know how you feel... I still can't sleep with any part of my body overhanging the edge of the bed... too many horror movies as a kid! Not to mention that I don't even have a boxspring/frame... the matress is right on the floor... how pathetic is that??? LOL

And those commercials for Dawn of the Dead freaked me out a little... especially in an empty house in the middle of the night when I am trying to get to sleep...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.