main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Edmontooine Book Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by geekgirl76, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    You think that's bad? My sister used to make me watch all those cheesy 80's horror movies from when I was 5. Watching them now I can laugh but for a five year old...

And on top of that my house is haunted. Ask me about it and I'll tell ya sometime ;)

2. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Aren?t phobias wonderful, I still get wigged out in dark basements. Chris used to lock me in our grandparents old dirt flood cellar when I got sent down for a can of milk, the light switch was on her side of the door. Thinking about it she's to blame for my fear of heights too. And she's the one who snuck up on me after I finished a Steven King book at 3:30 in the morning and went to the kitchen for a snack... I nearly tore the fridge door off. Thinking about it, all those only children out there should be very thankful. :D

3. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    God bless siblings. My older brother would push me off the bed AS he was telling me the boogey-man was down there. I think at most I was three. I remember trying to claw my way back up like a scared cat all the while he's holding me off and laughing...

Ahh memories... :D

Now I have nephews and neices to torment. [face_devil]

4. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Moving on up!!!

Only 571 on the list now! :)

5. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    LOL

So I went and picked up Talion today and a StarGate book. I LOVED the movie and the TV series. This is part of a series apparently though and it's not the first book so it won't make any sense to me. I hate when that happens :(

6. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    I just cancelled my hold on that and I'd moved up in line by about 100 people in one week so its pretty fast.

7. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    559 now!!!

I picked up the first book by Michael Connelley (on Stephen King's recommendation)

Anyone read any of his stuff?

8. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    The name sounds familiar but I can't place it, maybe he's one of Fayes authors. What does he write?

9. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Looks like it is going to be a cop thriller/mystery.

Only about 15 pages in so far, but looks like it is going to be a good one... I like his writing style.

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    The Cestus Deception comes out next month. Is anyone, besdies me, going to get this one? It's a hardcover last time I checked. :p

Whoever calls dibs can borrow it when I'm done reading it ;)

[image=http://cargobay.starwars.com/books/fiction/approachingstorm/cestusdeception.jpg]

I haven't read this Steven Barnes before. Anyone familiar with his work?

11. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
  12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
  13. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Well I have officially given up on Pride and Prejudice for now... just can't get into it.

Reading Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series now...

14. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    my library membership is up on saturday. guess I should renew it and get some more books. Any suggestions? It doesn't even hafto be sci-fi/fantasy

15. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Have you read any David Eddings, he's pretty good but I don't really care for his new stuff.

If your interested the best place to start is his series called the Belgariad its about a farmboy who goes on a quest with his aunt a wizard and a bunch of other people to recover the magic orb form the evil god Torak, Its much better than I have described. There are five books in the first series, easy to come by at the library.

Pawn of Prophecy
    Queen of Sorcery
    Magicians Gambit
    Castle of Wizardry
    Enchanters End Game

:_| I spilt hot chocolate all over my pride and prejudice. thankfully most of it just wiped off.

I think I'm going to start Angels and Demons.

16. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Kewl, thanks. I'll check those out. :)

17. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I read those books years ago, along with the next series that takes place right after them (can't remember the name).

From what I remember I enjoyed them alot (I must have to have read like 10 books) but sometimes his descriptions became repetitive (mostly of Silk(??) I think that is the guys name). But that could be just from reading the books back to back to back... technically you are supposed to be waiting till the next one is released... ;)

Liann, let me know if Angels and Demons is any good, and if I should read it before I read the Da Vinci Code. Or Terry, I assume you have probably already read them both... ;)

I am now 502 on the wait list... ugh!!! :(

Also, the 6th book in the "Dark Tower" series from Stephen King is out on the 8th of June!! Happy happy joy joy!!! :D

18. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Yes, I read it already, scroll up to mid-April. I'm still waiting for his "Digital Fortress". The library is taking it's sweet time on it too, I think I'm about 20th.

19. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
  20. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    :rolleyes: Yes it's good, not as good as DaVinci but good, read it.

21. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Put my request in at the library... only 264 people ahead of me this time... LOL

Oh, and in between Pride and Prejudice and reading the entire first book of the Incarnations of Immortality series, I managed to sqeeze in "Survivor's Quest" this weekend as well.

I liked it... wasn't what I expected, and I didn't think it was up to normal Tim Zahn standards, but a good read nonetheless.

22. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, I thought it could have been written better. A little slow in some parts but overall, I still liked it. Coincidentally I'm reading it right now.

I guess that says something of the author when his worst writing is still better than quite a bit of the Star Wars series (children of the force, darksaber, the crystal planet)

23. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I really enjoyed it. I agree it wasn't his best but like you said even his worst is better than most. I was just so sick of the whole New Jedi Order yawnfest that anything was better. I liked the fact that there was a plot and it actually ended while still leaving it open for more. I'm hoping that there will be more books set in that time.

24. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    So, anyone read anything good lately?

454 for Da Vinci Code
    251 for Angels and Demons

25. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    NJO wasn't so bad. There were a lot of parts I didn't like.

I'm just reading the dark glory war by mike stackpole right now. I also picked up On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony. I haven't started it yet but I will soon. Oh, I also got Timeline by Micheal Crichton (sp?). I wasn't a big fan of the movie. It felt like there was so much more they could have done but they didn't really explore. I'm hoping the book is better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.