main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

eeth, jp, other old people... want to feel even older?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by tom, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    remember when you first saw back to the future (in the theater hopefully) and how long ago the 50's seemed? the 80's are now that long ago.

2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i feel that way more social change happened between the 50's and the 80's than between the 80's and today.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    We still don't have flying cars.

Amazing.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Those films are going to be damn hilarious when 2015 gets here.

Waiting for my flying car too, but it's amazing what they did get right, like smart TVs with hundreds of useless channels, and an abundance of 3D technology.

They didn't predict the 'Net or smart phones though.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The early 80s are that long ago.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I turned 40 this year and now this. I pray the god of crabs takes a curse upon you in return.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Not quite.
    BttF was the big film of the Summer of 1985. It won't be the same time frame for another 3 years.
    But then, that was way back when there was only One big movie of the Summer, not 3 or more per month.

50s->80s: sexual revolution, desegregation, watergate/nixon/vietnam "conflict", feminist resurgence, hippies (bad clothes, bad music, bad drugs, bad hygiene), disco, major assassinations of US public figures (2 Kennedys, Lennon, Martin Luther King, Milk, Sirhan Sirhan), Manson, Jim Jones, Patty Herst, Space Race/landing on the moon...

80s->2010s (so far), Indiana Jones, Prequels, Reagan & Bush Sr., fall of the Soviet Block after 50 years of "Communism", space shuttle program, Stealth planes acknowledged/admitted to, y2k, star trek resurgence on TV, more bad TV sitcoms, StarGate, Rap "music", StarBucks, Computer age of Windows vs Mac, female Vice-presidential candidates, sex scandals used as "news" against politicians (Clinton, Gingrich, and many, many more--too many to count), AIDS/HIV, Ted Bundy, Unibomber, More bad drugs/War on Drugs, Yuppies, Panama, 2 wars vs Iraq, nearly complete (relatively peaceful) change in the governments of the Middle East, 2 invasions of Afganistan (USSR and USA), dot-coms/dot-bombs, the whole internet, anime, collapses of the big 3 in Hollywood and Chicago Automotive manufacturing...

Yeah, there are lots of changes in both eras. Sadly, no matter how much changes, so very much remains the same.
    We still have massive race and gender inequality. We still have disgusting political scandals and abuses of power, but now we have newer and better technology with which to do things faster, more easily, and not necessarily with quality. Still have bad drugs, bad religion (read "any" religion), and cultures dominated by Faith over Reason.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why does anyone think that BTTFII made a serious prediction for 2015?

It has fusion reactors powered by garbage.

Marty walks into a stupid 80's nostalgia cafe.

The Doc gets some stupid plastic surgery procedure or whatever the **** that was, I don't remember.

There is a "Jaws 13" or a similar number.

There's commentary about idiotic fashion trends, rather exaggerated.

The flying cars behave mostly like existing cars. There's even a "freeway."

Really, the only unintentionally ridiculous thing about the 2015 in that film is the Yellow Peril Japan takes over the world thing. If it were made today, Marty's boss would be Chinese instead. And it would be just as ridiculous.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I've been seeing a lot of 70s and 80s fashions returning. And even some 60s (again). And we still have several 50s cafes. An 80s cafe was not an unrealistic prediction.
    As for fashion trends, you have to remember what fashion is: Laws of ugliness so vile that they must be constantly changed.
    And Jaws 13 may not be here, but look at the Friday the 13th and Halloween franchises. How many Scream movies are there now? Sure, it was meant as a joke, but there was some basis.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They were making fun of things that were happening contemporary to the film's release: Jaws sequels, nostalgia cafes (in the 1980's it was 1950's nostalgia), etc.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Funny you mention this Tom. I was recently telling a friend the same thing. I suggested a modern day remake where marty travels back to the 80s.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    via Hot Tub!

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Something I mentioned in Hat the other day.

Remember this little girl from Jurassic Park 2?

[image=http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/images/f/f8/Cathy_bowman.jpg]

Yeah, this makes me feel old.

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I see the Duchess of Cambridge has her 30th birthday coming up. That makes me feel old. She was born in the 80s.

15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    This. What makes this specific future work so well is that it was conceptualized tounge-in-cheek. There are so many hilarious details in that vision.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to Nike's 2015 self-lacing models. Nike did confirm it last year, after all.

16. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    I have a sibling that was conceived because of that film.

17. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I have never seen back to the future.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Do you wannasee?

19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    he no wannasee.

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    For those feeling nostalgic, there are some BttF video games...

21. Darth_SylviaBrowne

Darth_SylviaBrowne Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2006
    Skype always makes me think of the video phones on The Jetsons.

22. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks for this. I wasn't feeling ancient enough today.

23. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    This information shocked me so much, I fell off my chair and broke a hip.

24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Get off my lawn you damn kids!

25. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Again?!