main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC EFF survivors thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Stalker, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    There is simply no way to describe to those of you who didn't go how much you missed out on but rest assured that we will run it in your faces as much as possible.

On the down side, driving there ws a new form of hell for me. My detour through Connnecticut on the way there was only a sign of bad things to come.

Then Saturday night our dinner convoy just kept getting smaller and smaller, it was like Survivor where only the proud few of us left at the end got to eat.

Then there was parking in Manhatten. I didn't no what "no standing" meant until I after I got a $115 parking ticket. And the tolls, oh those miserable tolls, it cost like $4 to drive 2 blocks anywhere around there. And even then I could've afforded it if not for getting lost coming back from JFK airport and dropping Suzanne off. It was dark and I couldn't figure out the map while driving, I went in circles, paying toll after toll learning the geography of long island. If I ever have to go back again, please, I beg of you, shoot me in the head... It was the kind of place where people who have lived very bad lives should go to spend their final days so they can actually look forward to hell.

But the partying was great of course. Well it was for most of us, Chix_Digmee was reminded that dudes dig him too! :eek:

After the bar closed and we got "talked to" by security at Mutts Room we went up to my room instead. The security guy didn't even notice the big water cooler in the room that Ken and I decided to bring along.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Sounds like you had a great time.

After the bar closed and we got "talked to" by security at Mutts Room we went up to my room instead. The security guy didn't even notice the big water cooler in the room that Ken and I decided to bring along.

Perhaps we need a new slogan - "Biggest Party Go-ers of the JC"

3. Chix_Digmee

Chix_Digmee Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2003
    Chix_Digmee was reminded that dudes dig him too!

But I had a chic hanging on me all night long! Where was the problem? Why did they think I'd be interested in dudes? These were some pretty big and buff dudes, I'm sure that they could have picked up a girl but nooooo they wanted me...

*shudders*
    I see gay people, they're just walking around like they don't even know I'm straight. [face_plain]

4. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    It was a great time malkie. But I actually came up with a different slogan for us there...

"I'm in the Galatic Senate, there I said it...only 11 more steps to go."

5. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm really glad you guys had a good time! Sounds like the weekend turned into 'Adventures in Getting Lost' for everyone. I think Roger wins the award for 'Most Lost'. Heh.

However, I'm fairly certain there is no way you could make me feel bad for not going. You're welcome to try though. :p

6. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I ended up in Weehawken. I think. I really don't know. Secaucus is a wretched place, very confusing. And no one seems able to give directions around there. Bah.

But things did get better once I found my way back to the hotel Saturday night. The best part was sending Ken back to our room for more booze - and then he never returned to Mutt's room. He forgot to see where is was when he left, you see.

And I won't try to convince you that you missed anything grand, Val - aside from Mark Hamill and the hanging out it was kind of boring. I suppose it suffered from "first con fever" or something but nothing happened when it was supposed to, or where it was supposed to. Maybe it was supposed to be like that. I've got no idea. I renamed it Chaoti-Con.

7. padawan-bater

padawan-bater Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    True, the con itself wasn't anything to brag about. I had a good time just because of the people that I met there. :) But really that was the whole reason I went in the first place.

8. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Believe it or not, I've been to worse cons (Philcon comes to mind for some reason), and I knew the folks who pulled this together and for their very first con, I still say great job. Hopefully they will learn from the hiccups and pull off a even better con next year. My only real complaint was with the hotel and bar but that was not the fault of the con.

If I did learn anything this weekend, it was to never get directions in North Jeresy from someone who lives in South Jeresy ever again!!! [face_laugh]

9. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2004
    So, did anyone take pics?

10. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes, please tell me someone remembered to take the obligatory 'GS in the bar' picture!

11. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I seem to recall someone taking a picture of me in the bar. I think I was with some GS folks.... I got lots of pictures of Mark Hamill though...

12. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    I think Suzanne got a pic of you at the bar. I know she has pics of the other GS people but just not when we are all standing there as a group.

13. Bone-Jenga

Bone-Jenga Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2003
    Bone-Jenga was in full force this weekend as well. I showed up Saturday in a t-shirt with the writing, "I'm Just a Pirate Chasing Booty." After being lost in North Jersey and then finally finding a place to eat, I ordered the obligitory full rack of ribs and executed my duties as Bone-Jenga by stacking a neat pile of bones. Pics are forthcoming.

Yes, everyone at dinner was sucked into the lore of Bone-Jenga!

After the bar though, we did make a stop before heading up to Mutt's room. The Con folk held a MST3K viewing of AOTC. Place was pretty dead until the inebriated Galactic Senate arrived. Then every scene with Count Dooku was met with shouts of "Its Saruman!!!" or "Build me an army worthy of Mordor"

After the movie was over, we headed up to Mutt's room and stole a hotel cooler. :D Then we were "talked to" by security for our obnoxious noise making. Bleh, we're at a Con staying at the Con rate and they expect us to be quiet? Then we went up to Roger's room where we discovered the "ball-gag" sitting on the desk.

Sunday morning Mutt attempted to stealthfully dispose of the stolen cooler by shoving in an empty elevator and sending it down to the lobby. We later found out the people rode the elevators with it multiple times.

14. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Sorry no one told me there was suppose to be a group GS pic in the bar, but I'll remember to get one at WWE. [face_laugh]

Edit: Wait a second, didn't that guy who had the AeroSith Shirt on get a group shot of all of us!?! Does anyone here know him well enough to contact him?

15. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    I think you are talking about Billy, if so yeah, E can find out.

16. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'll check with Billy - I can't remember who took pictures of who, but if he's got one, I'll find out.

I wondered what happened to that cooler.

17. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Well, hello all! Zar-Zar Drinks is FINALLY over her hangover...okay that's TWO liquors off my list. No more rum and no more tequila. The tequila got bumped the LAST time Zar-Zar showed up. She REALLY needs to get a life.

Anyway, I had a blast hanging with all you guys. It was so great to meet some of the people Roger's been talking about. Maybe that move to the East Coast might get bumped up a bit... :D

And I have pics. I'm gonna upload them tonight, so I'll get them out there for y'all to see.

18. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    And there was that blue stuff too.

19. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    It's called Hypnotq. That stuff never does much for me, I just like it cuz it's blue.

Nah, it was the last minute rum that did me in...I was fine til then...or at least I think I was fine til then...

Chix_Digmee was reminded that dudes dig him too!

But I had a chic hanging on me all night long! Where was the problem? Why did they think I'd be interested in dudes? These were some pretty big and buff dudes, I'm sure that they could have picked up a girl but nooooo they wanted me...

Yea, trying to get that guy to GO AWAY was tough. I thought I was gonna have to beat him up! And he wasn't happy when I told him to "move along". Geez, Zar-Zar fighting for her guys honor! What a hoot!

20. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    I'm glad you all had a good time. :)

21. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, some of us stayed sober. ;)

(Though my "lost" story = Newark, NJ at 11:45 pm, and the only cops around were racing down the streets at top speed with flashing lights -- a bit too busy to give directions).

As a con, it did have teething problems. I'd say, though, that if they can get someone to put some solid thought and work into programming, it does have potential to be a nice, small con. I mean, even designating one room as "discussion roundtable" with a different topic and someone to mod would have been something. That, I think was my main beef: apart from the dealers and chatting with people, there wasn't anything to do.

Did they end up holding the Costume contest? It was announced in the flyer. Lots of nice hall costumes, though.

Ah, well... "We will watch your career with GREAT interest!"

22. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Hi guys!

Thanks for coming to our first EFF!

I know we had many issues with programming and I am not making any excuses other than it was our first con and we made mistakes. For that, I apologize. Our biggest error, it seemd was contracting an A/V guy who was an absolute horror. He only brought half the equipment he was hired to bring and brought no one to run it. We thought by hiring an pro it would eliminate the hassle and worry for us but not so! He was lazy and not very bright and he came highly recommended to my partner so we thought we were doing good...never again. I KNEW we werre in trouble with this guy when he said upon arriving 'I hope you guys don't stiff me on my fee becuase I have been stiffed by like 6 other shows" heh small wonder. Needless to say he did NOT get his contracted fee from us!

EFF2 will definitely be more organized with better programming! Thanks for coming :D

23. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I think the biggest lesson learned by us GS folks was - under no circumstances leave the hotel. Walking across the street was ok, but once any of us got in our cars, it was a disaster.

Renata - I looked for you later and managed to miss you every time!

24. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Poor LadySith! I hope you guys had a contract in writing to show breach AND that you remember to report him to the Better Business Bureau!

I heard from friends that they enjoyed the special FX presentation; they are now eager to see Revelations whenever it is screened in DC.

I lasted until about 11:30, Cinn -- tried so hard to stay awake for MST3K: "Attack of the Clones!" I think the drive Friday (CENSORED rush-hour Beltway traffic!) finally caught up with me...

25. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    *chuckles*
    Awwww...you mean Zar had competition for Stalker? ;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.