main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Effect needed for "Weather Man": Snow Particles. How?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by andakin, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    During the script of a short, "weather man" that we're starting preproduction for, it calls for a tricky sequence.

As might be expected for a film entitled "weather man" the title character can affect the weather. The climactic sequence begins with a standoff between him and a marching band. As they advance toward him to beat him up, he starts to make it snow. The snow falls, and grows somewhat deep, they keep marching and pound him really bad. Poor Weather Man.

Anyway, we need to find a way to do the effects of this sequence. I can get a marching band assembled to shoot in both snowy and clear weather. The difficulty is going to be how to create the increasingly intense snow effects falling from both elevated camera shots and ground-level shots.

Any ideas/solutions?

Thanks!

2. agentgonzo

agentgonzo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2001
    There was a fanfilm on here that had some very good CG snow added to it (just the falling snow, not the snow on the ground). I can't remember which one it was, but I think that it was Bounty Trails.

I think that he used a 3D app, but not sure. PM the director.

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    perhaps you could use fake snow.

perhaps.

~Brent

4. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I think PixelMagic is doing a similar effect (or at least it looked like it from the screen cap). Maybe you could ask him?

5. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Ah, I do remember that picture from Pixel magic... I'll PM him now.

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Dude, my snow effects are like the most asked of how I did them. I simple use the 3DS Max Blizzard Particle system with a wind space warp applied to it. Really nothing to it.

7. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    so modest.

hehe

8. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Hey, thanks, Pixel Magic.

I'll have to figure something out like that with a program I have access to.

9. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Might I suggest that if you have access to After Effects Production bundle, that you try using particle playground. If not, I feel this is a good time to bring up a point. Just because you CAN do something in CG, doesn't always mean you should. To creat falling snow, why not do it in the old days before they had computers. Just film some "fake snow" falling in front of a black background and use that to composite over your footage. I'm not to knowledgeable in what they use as fake snow at studios, however, you might try shaved pieces of white plastic, or perhaps white sawdust. Remember, if you can shoot an effect WITHOUT using CG, then do it. Use CG only when you have to.

10. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    *nod*

That may work as well, I'll have to try some fx tests for that. What would I do, have some black fabric, and light the falling particles in a direction parallel with the fabric plane.
    If I had a big-budget production, I'd rent some snow machines, but I don't think that's going to happen. :p

11. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    As for the accumulation of snow on the ground, you may want to consider making a cg plane with a heightmap that's animated procedurally and increase the amplitude over time, but keep the frequency to a low setting, and it would look like snow was compiling, similarly to how the lava in Shrek worked. Just a thought.

12. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    No, I would backlight the particles of snow falling. Try to keep light from you key light from hitting the black background. You want the background as black as it can get, and the snow as white as it can get.

13. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    yeah, i agree with pixel, doing it CG may seem "cooler" or more fun but why do something CG when you can do it in a few minutes in real life which would take you hours in CG?

14. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    By parallel to the fabric, I meant not shining at the fabric. That would be perpendicular ;D

And, thanks for the advice on the snow accumulation! :D

Anybody else?

15. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    *bump*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.