main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Effects Shot: The X-Wing and the Cool Old Building

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by t-toe, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-toe

t-toe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Okay, I'm not going to set this up too much, but basically, I went out and shot this really cool, old building here in Franklin, Tennessee, without anything in mind, really. Upon loading it into my computer, I decided to track it, and add some CG to it as an experiment. Due to it's sucess (IMHO), me and a friend are greatly expanding on this shot. So, here you are, in two flavors:

Quicktime On2 VP3 3.2 format

DIVX 5.0.2 format

(Right-click and select "Save As" from the menu, if you're having trouble viewing the files.)

--t.toe
    --co-creator of Mind Gypsy Productions
    --like that means anything, hehe.

P.S. I would recommend watching the DIVX version if at all possible, as it is encoded at a slightly higher resolution.

2. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Not to bad. Only two things are bugging me

1)the shadow seems to be too dark in the shade

2)there should be some decrease in the how lit up the rocket boosters are between shade and sun.

Other than those two things I liked it a lot.

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    that looks pretty sweet. Now right a tutorial!

What programs did you use?

4. t-toe

May 27, 2002
    Actually, believe it or not, that was almost all 3DS MAX. You're right about the shadow being too dark in the shade. Oh, and btw, I can't take credit for the X-Wing model. That was thanks to Sci-Fi 3D.

--t.toe

5. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    the scale seemed a little off compared to the vehicles on the side of the road... other than that, i was most impressed!

6. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    looks ok a few suggestions

1) the lighting really bothers me it seems to dark compared to the other objects in the scene

2) the X-Wing looks way to small, to me it looks like its smaller than those cars where in the films its way bigger

3) The shadow. It doesn't interact with the enviroment, it doesn't go up the side if the building or the side of the car, it just sorta dissapears. To fix this create the basic shape in your 3d application with basic primatives no need to texture. Align these up in the same spot as the building and that one car, render it out with just shadows and in a file format that keeps the alpha intact, You can stop but to make it look more real(you need after effects), copy the oringal layer, then put in that shadow you rendered have the alpha cut a hole in the the copied layer with a transfer mode or track mask(i dont remember) render fill the copied section of the layer with black and lower the opacity.

7. t-toe

May 27, 2002
    Thank you all soo much for your creative criticism. This is going to help me a lot for the final version of this shot. For a sample of what I'm planning on doing to the building in the shot, check this link:

rebel base on naboo.jpg

--t.toe

8. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Your scale and speed are off unfortunatly. The X-Wing flies up and turns around the pole. But at that point you have a reference for the distance to the pole which is on the other side of the X-Wing and the car on the other side of the pole. based on that information the X-Wing might fit a 5 year old VERY cramped =P And then as it moves away from the camera and you can see the shadow traveling across the ground, it gets to the tree line and based on where the shadow is and the size of the X-Wing compared to the building and relative surroundings its HUGE, were talkin party in the cock pit baby. Aside from that and the lighting it looked good, nice motion tracking.

9. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    That was pretty cool.

;)
    Kyle

10. t-toe

May 27, 2002
    Haha, hilarious post Shawn. Yeah, I realize that this shot is far from complete. I just felt like posting something of my own for a change.

The main thing that happened with the shadow (which I only noticed after the two hour render), is that in order to get it to show up in the correct location, I had to cheat and make a light that ONLY cast shadow and position it behind the X-Wing. I have no idea why, seeing as the sun is in front of the X-Wing and to the left, but the only way for you to see the shadow was if I put the light behind it. And then I had to animate the light to follow it, so the shadow would stay where I wanted it. So, basically, I guess I got the position of the light wrong for the last few moments of the shot.

I'm going to take more time to get things perfect for the next version of this shot.

--t.toe

11. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    It's a great clip (aside from the previously mentioned size issues) I like when the ship goes over the building at the end.

Plus that is a very nice building, what actually is it?

12. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Another White SCreen of death! NO!

13. t-toe

May 27, 2002
    darth-dom, that's an old abadoned building. I don't think it's in use anymore... But there's a trailer sitting right in front of it, and when we shot, the air conditioning was cranking full-blast, but there was no one home...

--t.toe

14. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    OK we need to stop using On2 and start using the new mpeg4 cause some of us can't read the on2 now in QT for some stupid idiotic retarted looser of a reason.

15. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

Thats pretty cool. Nice motion tracking.

Want to help me on the music video I'm making? :)

16. DarkSaber1

DarkSaber1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2002
    Ok....I have quicktime...but why does it say that the required compressor cannot be found? What do I have to do to watch it? Thanks

Dave

17. t-toe

May 27, 2002
    You need to download the ON2 codec. But the URL escapes me... can someone else help me out here?

And ExFilms, while I would LOVE to help, I don't exactly have the most free time on my hands, what with my full-time job, and my gearing up to move into a new house with some friends of mine... not to mention I'm working intensley on the final version of this shot (which I'm hoping will actually look pretty decent). So, sorry man.

--t.toe

18. TwinSuns82

TwinSuns82 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2001
    Actually the On2 problem is very easy to fix. Go to the QuickTime menu in your programs list, (this is in Windows btw, not sure if this is possible on a Mac) or where ever QuickTime is located and open the QuickTime Updater.

Ok, now when it opens it should say taht all of your QuickTime is up to date, if not get it there. Then click the Custom button. A large list should appear, some items may not have been updated, including On2, simply check the boxes off the things you want to update and then the Update Now button. Hope this helps.

19. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    it says in the custom tab that on2 is not avaliable for an update

20. CoruscantProductions

CoruscantProductions Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    You have to make a complete uninstall of QuickTime and then reinstall QuickTime and On2. It works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.