main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Egads! I'm a noob!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by oqidaun, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    I've not been a noob anywhere for a long time, so posting in the obligatory noob thread is a reasonably humbling experience.

A little about me...
    I'm an old school Star Wars fan, i.e., I'm thirty, and in the greater scheme of things I've probably been hit in the head one too many times with a DIY lightsaber. One of the defining moments in my Star Wars experience was the change in the music at end of ROTJ for the re-release in 1997--I'd hated the Muppetized Ewok song since 1983. I travel with at least one action figure at all times, which can be awkward when traveling overseas. I just returned from a international conference at Oxford (I'm an academic) that I took a destroyer droid to just in case someone asked "Where are those Destroyer droids?" I could say, "I've got your Destroyer droid right here, mofo!" Yeah, that's pretty dorky, but I find it funny. Kit Fisto and I were held up in the security corral this past weekend and he had to be x-rayed.

Pathetic fic plug: I also write fanfic of the obtuse variety. I'm serializing a work in progress on fanfiction.hell (http://www.fanfiction.net/~oqidaun) and when it's finished I'd like to be able to have it posted over here.

Top Ten Star Wars Things I like:
    Admiral Piett, Death Sticks, 500 Republica, Boba Fett, Kit Fisto, Crispy Critter Anakin screaming "I hate you!", Vader's double take in ESB, Yoda's funky soup, Darth Maul and The Executor crashing into the Death Star

Other things I like:
    abandoned buildings, absinthe, chasing ghosts, circus fires, decatur street, fortune cookies, h5n1, haunted hospitals, jim rose circus, kinky friedman, medical curiousities, mosh pits, nosocomial infections, old concert shirts, play-doh, restaurant service coffee, roswell, s. aureus, sideshows, tattoos, train wrecks

Is that enough for the ONP (obligatory noob post)?

2. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    Hi oqidaun,

First let me say welcome to you! [:D]

And yes, that was quite an ONP:p thank you!

And i can truly say that you have come to the right place to enjoy Star Wars and to talk about Sw )and other things of course).

In case you need some guideance, feel free to PM me or try the map of the boards, the link is located just under the banner on the top of the screen.

Im glad to see that you make your own fanfics, dont forget to check this forum: Fanfiction, the saga

And my biggest piece of advice: have fun and start checking out every one of the millions of threads out here! Get to know people! Perhaps join a group here on the boards to ease things, like The SSA

But Im sure you'll find your way around soon and have a lot of fun here.

And really: dont hesitate to PM me with questions of any kind!

3. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Welcome to the boards. Since you say you?re old, you should check out the Geriatric Ward, where a lot of the older people on this site hang out.

Enjoy your stay and feel free to post around Welcome New Users for as long as you?d like. There?s plenty of helpful links lying all over the place, so don?t be shy to explore. Oh, and that was a pretty damn good introduction.

4. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    Welcome oqidaun.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, that is enough for an ONP, I think. :D There aren't many Newbies who post such a long introduction. I think you're going to like it here. :)

And if you need help, you know, don't hesitate to ask us. :)

Welcome to the boards, Opidaun, and enjoy your stay. :)

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Welcome to the boards!

7. Vicereine_Amidala

Vicereine_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    Welcome to the boards, Oqidaun! I'm an older Star Wars fan too...well, I guess 25 isn't that old :p

I spend most of my time lurking in the FanFic forums, which might be a good place for you to start if you're interesting in posting your own fiction.

Have fun around the boards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.