main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Egg on the Sulaco - Alien 3 Question

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    how does the egg get on the sulaco? what are your theories? i've heard ones from bishop smuggling one on to the queen bringing one on during Aliens

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> how does the egg get on the sulaco?<<

[image=http://www.adventurepostoffice.com/cards/easter/bunny99-05-l.gif]

3. Honor_And_Liberty

Honor_And_Liberty Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2005
    Yeah, I think it was just that the Alien Queen in "Aliens" had a spare egg or two tucked in one of her "chambers," and deposited it in the hangar bay before confronting Ripley... or something. :p

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This is the problem of Alien 3. There is no logicial explaination. Not even in the novelization. Only that somehow the Queen brought an egg onboard the drop ship and left it there. The camera angles make it difficult to tell where, though from the looks of it, it is the hangar bay.

12 drafts and no one bothers to explain it.

5. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    There used to be a great Sci-Fi/Fantasy magazine in the UK in the early 90s called Fantazia.
    Long gone now.
    One of the best features in it was that they used to publish summaries of scripts of films in development - not sure how they got access to them.
    Maybe all of said features were written after the projects had fallen through or stalled - I can't remember exactly.
    One of the early treatments of Alien III was in there, wherein the Aliens invaded a small farming community on Earth - it was so confused and all series continuity had gone out of the window, I'd be thankful the finished film turned out as good as it did; mystery egg notwithstanding.

The mag also carried treatments of Spider-Man (a decade before Sam Raimi was attached to the project) and The Watchmen (Terry Gilliam may have been looking to option Alan Moore's masterpiece at that point in time.)

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    To be honest, the movies should have followed the plot of the comic books, which was far better than then nonsense that was Alien3. Anyone who has read the comic books please add your comments :)

There are two major problems with the egg on the sulaco
    1) The eggs were opened when something got close - there's no way Ripley would have walked over to one without blasting it. So, how did she get impregnated ? Perhaps a face hugger got on board with the Queen alien, rather than an egg.
    2) Why did it take a week or so before the alien burst out of Ripley ? rather than the hours it took for all of the others ?

7. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    2) Why did it take a week or so before the alien burst out of Ripley ? rather than the hours it took for all of the others ?

You know, I never noticed that until now.

8. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    Wow - to be honest, I'd forgotten about those comics.
    I think I bought the first 10 or so, but then all my local newsagents seemed to stop stocking it.
    I'm talking about the UK versions of the comics, of course...
    Dave Dorman did the covers, yeah?
    Who did the work inside, I seem to remember it was really well done, all hand-painted rather than inked and coloured...?

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    it's mentioned very briefly in the movie and the novelization that in some cases a queen alien embryo takes longer to grow in it's host.

10. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Also the queen was inside riply while she was in cryo sleep......but that begs the question......when the hell did she get impregnated, I aean the only thing that I can thinkof is that (if I am not mistaken there was acid scoring on the cryo-bed) maybe the hugger slipped in and got her in her sleep, and then the crash happened and she was knocked unconsious and did nto realise what happened....I don't know I never really noticed all that before......damn

11. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, if I remember the opening sequence correctly it was acid from the face-hugger which caused the fire on the Sulaco which resulted in the onboard computer putting them into the escape ship and down onto the prison colony.

However, in my opinion it was a second face-hugger which impregnated the dog which resulted in the Alien chasing everyone around during the movie.

edit

of course you argue the sinister corporation angle that Bishop (or Hick for that reason), woke up during transport (deliberately), defrosted (or released) a face-hugger and let it impregnate Ripley while she slept.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    a couple people i know like to think that theory also malkie, but i find that unlikely because

1)Bishop was only had his top half. he couldn't have crawled out of the cryotube, let loose the alien and get back in the tube before the sulaco goes to hell.

2)Hicks to a certain degree was incapacitated as well. but he'd be able to move around more that Bishop could. i don't think Hicks would do it. from seeing his character in Aliens it doesn't seem like him. plus he sided with Ripley about nuking the whole facility so why would he go through all that trouble.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The novelization explains how and why the Facehugger did what it did. It seems that the Facehuggers will lay two embryos if it detects no other eggs or Aliens. It tried to get Newt first, but failed as the attempt to crack her cryotube open resulted in it's tail getting cut, which resulted in the acid starting the fire. The Facehugger went to Ripley's and got in. It then proceeded to rape her. In her dreams, Ripley sees herself searching for an Alien with her pulse rifle/flamethrower hybird. The Alien comes up behind her, knocks it away and then turns her around. She can feel it's tail moving up her leg. The scene ends with Ripley looking at Hicks, who appears to be looking at her and smiling a sinister smile. Because a Queen takes longer to gestate, that's why Ripley didn't die within 24 hours of waking up. Also, the Facehugger implanted it's main embryo in the dog.

The early drafts of Alien 3 featured everyone being killed off, save for Ripley who appears in a brief cameo, before dying. Then there was a draft where only Hicks and Bishop are the main characters. Once Sigourney Weaver signed on, Ripley was brought back but Hicks and Newt were killed.

Fox would've been better off using the Aliens II storyline to make the third film. Or at the very least, the fourth film.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    if i recall doesn't the facehugger die on the sulaco after breaking ripley's cryotube and then there's a second one on the escape pod?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't seen the extended version of Alien 3, but there was only one egg and one Facehugger. The Facehugger never got into Newt's tube, it just cracked open the glass and a backup glass cover slid into place, cutting the tail. The Facehugger jumped over to Ripley's and got inside.

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    leave your EU nonsense at the door :eek:

[start canon war]

that story makes a lot of sense and answers my questions well :)

I agree with everyone who said that they should have used a different plot for Alien3. I remember reading an early plot concept way way before the final one which involved a number of Aliens taking over a mine or something on earth. Sounded like a good idea - aliens in mine shafts caves etc - similar to a few of the sequences in Alien.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the funny thing is that the trailers for Alien 3 all indicated that the movie was going to take place on earth. if i remember in the trailer it shows an alien egg over earth or something to that effect

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You think that's bad. You should've seen what they did with "Highlander Endgame". Dimenson films specifically got the cast together, without the involvement of the director and the series producers, to film footage for the second trailer. Footage that never was intended to be in the film. All in an effort to gurantee that people will see the film. All these big special effects sequences that were nothing but eye candy and had no place in the film.

19. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    That's nothing - Return of the Jedi had this bogus sandstorm in its trailer to sucker people in...

:p

As for Alien 3 being set on Earth - that script went through at least 11 different rewrites and three directors.
    Based on an original story by Walter Hill and David Giler, the first script treatment was written by none other than cyberpunk legend, William Gibson.
    His script had Ripley, Newt and Hicks all surviving and being brought back to Earth after being discovered by a unit of commandos.
    It was not until the third rewrite, by David Twohy, that the story was moved to a prison planet.
    That was basically a rewrite of Gibson's script with new characters.

When Vincent Ward entered as director, he brought his own ideas to the script - namely changing the prison planet to a wooden planet inhabited by monks that looked like something out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting.
    John Fasano helped rework that script (twice) and Ripley was brought back.
    By the time Fincher took over, the script, now in it's eighth version was in its notorious "fairytale" phase.

FINCHER: "In the draft Larry [Ferguson, Beverly Hills Cop II] was writing, she [Ripley] was going to be this woman who had fallen from the stars. In the end, she dies, and there are seven of the monks left --- seven dwarfs."
    "And she would make up these stories. And in the end, there were these seven dwarfs left, and there was this ****ing tube they put her in, and they were waiting for Prince Charming to come wake her up. So that was one of the endings we had for this movie. You can imagine what Joe Roth said when he heard this. "What?! What are they doing over there?! What the **** is going on?!"

Hill and Giler were brought back, the monastery was ousted and the prison planet was brought back in, and the script was refined into the version sat on your DVD shelf right now...

"in 1992, we will discover that on Earth, everyone can hear you scream" boasts one trailer for the movie.
    I'm not exactly sure how such a marketing blunder occured, Earth had not featured in any of the Alien 3 scripts from late 1989 at least.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i remember when i first saw Alien 3. at the end w/ bishop II when he gets smacked in the head and u see the blood. it made me actually think he was the human the androids were based off of

21. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

Sep 20, 2003
    yeha but you also see the ear out of whack with the rest of the head, obviously showing him as an android

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Bishop II is not an android. In the extended edition, the script and the novelization, you find that out. After Aaron hit him with the wrench, Bishop yells "I'm not a ***damned android!" When Aaron hit him, he cut open Bishop's ear and it was barely hanging on. You can see blood, not android fluid. Bishop II is the man that the Bishop android was based off of. And if you like "Alien Vs Predator", he's the decendent of Charles Bishop Wayland.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    interesting. i thought that he was an advance android where the fluid was just made red to make it seem human. i never realized that

24. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

Sep 20, 2003
    so let me get this straight, the guy gets whacked with a metal bar, his ear is barley hanging on, but he ha salomost no reation to it and is able to continue screaming at her?? I am coing to have to watch that part again.....cause that ks just effing stupid

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Watch the extended edition. Bishop II is not an android. He's 100% human. The scenes where he reacts to having his ear almost ripped off, is cut. The theatrical version cuts this out for whatever reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.