main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Egg on the Sulaco - Alien 3 Question

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    The extended edition is the only version worth watching, IMO.

Minor(?) plot holes aside, Alien3's a fun film to watch, even if just to pick out the really, really transparent AIDS metaphor.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    could u explain that metaphor? i'd be interested in hearing that

3. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    The whole thing is a meditation on AIDS and its effects. Look from where Ripley (the vector omg) has sex with the doc onwards, and it kind of plays itself out.

4. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Riiiiight. I don't see it.

5. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Loads of men couped up together; needles; casual sex; hell - the alien itself has always been a metaphor for all things "invasive"... plus the film's general feeling of "tiredness" - this is not the same "Rambola" Ripley of Aliens.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    *shrugs.* Whatever.

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I didn't get that either. It was a prison planet, hence all the men with nothing to do - it wasn't supposed to resemble DisneyLand.

The entire Bishop timeline is messed up because the "original" Bishop appears in AvP, but the decendant in Alien3 was identical (obviously played by the same actor), however the two men are centuries (I think) apart in real time line.

Obviously Lance is a cheap person to involve in any Alien related movie, no matter how losely related he actually is in the scheme of things.

They should give us an Alien5 just to finish the whole thing off properly. Finally a decent Aliens on earth movie. A simple story following the crash of the ship in the last movie into the earth, with a few aliens surviving and starting up a hive somewhere in remote America.

The military try to capture some and train them (a la the comic book) with mixed success.

The movie will revolve around a couple of rogue military guys (possibly with Ripley) who are out to destroy the hive and the military involvement.

These days every movie needs a big battle sequence, so I'm figuring it's going to be big exoskeletons (a la Matrix) versus hundreds of aliens. Possibly the end could be Ripley detonated a nuke in the hive, sacrificing herself, but ending the alien involvement on earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.