main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Elaine Cunningham and Jania Solo *DJ spoilers*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "I don't care abou there being realism"

Well apparently NarundiJedi does. So what? You make your views known a lot, so can she...

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    it a space fantasy,space opera the fairytale romance goes along with the universe.

3. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    "I repeat that the NJO IS NOT a fairy tale. "

Narundi,

Believe me, I'm not ignoring the rest of your post, I think it was quite well written as a matter of fact, and I even agree with alot of it. But I have to disagree with you on this particular matter.

I submit that if you think of the original trilogy as a great example of a fairy tale, the NJO is no less of one.

You point to the movies as a great example. Well let's look at some of the elements of them here.

1) Torture- In ESB Vader tortures Han, and apparently for no other reason than because he enjoys it, seeing as how "He didn't even ask me any questions". He also forcibly administers drugs aimed at breaking down her resistances to questioning to Leia.

2) The death of millions of beings- Throughout the trilogy and Ep. 1, how many countless beings were slaughtered in the various battles, as well as aboard both destroyed Death Stars and Alderaan's demise. Forget millions, we're talking billions here.

3) The rule of a sadistic tyrant- Throughout the trilogy the galaxy is held under the sway of a tyrant the likes of which have not been seen since. Palpatine was a monster not only capable of instantly ordering the death of billions of innocent beings, but feeding off of their deaths. His Empire was a racist society, that ruled the galaxy with an iron fist and treated non-humans as less than dirt. His precursors, the Trade Federation, saw no harm in starving an entire planet's worth of citizens, by taking over and controlling Naboo.

Now look at the NJO. Does it not possess these exact same traits? Torture, the death of millions, and I would certainly consider Tsavong Lah a tyrant and a monster, capable of ordering the death of billions of "infidels". And though I can't say for certain, I'm sure Shimmra fits that bill as well. We've certainly seen our fair share of death in the NJO, with heroes and villains alike. I would argue that simply adding in the fact that they are doing this as some sort of religious quest does not make this any less of a fairy tale than the SW movies are.

So if a fairy tale romance can spark in the midst of a horrifying galactic civil war, why not in the midst of an extra-galactic one? I still have to contend that Jaina and Jag make at least as much sense, if not moreso, than Han and Leia.

;)

My two credits.

JMA

4. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Actually, this Jaina and Jag romance sounds more like Leia's romance with what's his name in splinter of the minds eye. She loved him but he held to different beliefs than her. Fundamental beliefs. In Red Flame, Blue Sky, Jag displays a strong dislike if not hatred for the New Republic for destroying his ordered world. It would be hard, even in a fairy tale for a relationship to last when you have those sorts of differences. I mean what if Cinderella's prince charming had been Hitler. Would you root for that? I think not. Run Cinderella run!

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Jag Fel shouldn't be entirely held accountable for such beliefs as someone brought up earlier. He's not a bad guy nor do I suspect he believes in slavery or ruthlenessness to civilains. He might even support such (I doubt it-Fel was very different than his commanders) in theory but I doubt he's ever seen it first hand.

Realize all the people he's grown up around have never known freedom and probably take for granted it's lack. From what I can tell they're sole purpose is to grow up to fight the Unknown Regions menace(s) (I wish Elaine had made it the Vong really) which they seem to have conquered.

So really anyone who doesn't tow the line is no doubt probably killed early on by simple combat attrition

I think you can root for an Imperial's romance just realize that he has never been exposed to the full depths ad horror the Empire was in truth while being exposed no doubt to the full extent of the Republic's idealism's failure.

It's not nice

6. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    First off, I'm waiting for DJ, which should come out on Tuesday with The Approaching Storm, so I only know as much about the book as I read from the spoilers.

Now, as for Jaina/Jag. The most I can see from their "relationship" at this point is that Jaina probably admires Jag and Jag probably admires Jaina. Jag probably admires Jaina's ability with the X-wing, as well as the fact that she's a Jedi. Since we can assume that his father probably told him about Han, then we can also assume that Jag somehow expected Jaina to be an exceptional fighter pilot. Jaina probably admires Jag because of the way he put Borsk and his cronies in their places on Ithor. Personally, that's reason enough for me to admire Jag. We share the same opinion on politicians in general. Leia, Mon Mothma, Garm, and perhaps a few others are noteworthy exceptions. I can acknowledge Jag and Jaina becoming friends. Anything more than that, I don't know how I'll react.

I also think that once Jaina gets her head clear and is fully back with the Light, she'll probably reexamine her feelings for Jag and Zekk, and hopefully will choose to marry Zekk at some future point in time.

7. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I was just being a little sarcastic Charlemange. Yeah, I know that Jag is probably not a bad guy and I didn't really mean to imply that he was. I was merely reverting back to my former arguement that his being an imperial would cause problems as well as his devotion to thrawn.

8. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    mara got over the imperial side enoughf so can/will jagged.

9. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, you're right about the movies having death and torture in them. And I'll agree that some fairy tales are quite gruesome, with things such as Hanzel and Gretel throwing the witch into the oven, the Prince in Rapunzel getting his eyes gouged out by thorns, etc. I just think that the reason why these seem more like fairy tales to me than the NJO is because the NJO had the bad enough timing to have a story line that was very similar to current events in our world. Maybe mass genocide was the wrong term for it. Mass genocide was what happened in A New Hope. What's happening in the NJO seems more like ethnic cleansing, a term that I've only recently heard thrown around. Basically the NR people are the "non-Yuuzhan Vong" or in other words "infadels". I get kind of nervous when that word is used. It has too much of a religious ring to it. But with Al Queda and bin Laden and everything going on I can't help but make comparisons. In A New Hope they may have blown up an entire planet, but when do we ever have that happen around here? We do however see ethnic cleansing. And torture is a part of life, fantasy or not. You should see this Dynamics homework I'm working on! Talk about torture! Someone should give THAT to the Vong!

Tsavvy: What in Yun Yuuzhan is this stupid program?! I don't understand how people are supposed to integrate anything using Maple! Damn you Laplace transforms!!!
    ::Throws computer against the wall::

:D

Jae Angel

10. BARA-DAM

BARA-DAM Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2001
    *IF* Jaina and Jag get together and have kids... Ouch. The kid could probably run ring around any skips (Antilles + Fel + Skywalker + Solo).

11. X-AverySolo

X-AverySolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    Hey, someone who has read Dark Journey:

WHAT IS ON PAGE TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-THREE?

PLEASE, TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW!
    PLEASE!

*Seriously, what *is* on page 283?
    Could someone possibly PM it to me?

Thank you! :D

12. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    *IF* Jaina and Jag get together and have kids... Ouch. The kid could probably run ring around any skips (Antilles + Fel + Skywalker + Solo).

They're kids, not clones

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    exar-tull...
    "mara got over the imperial side enoughf so can/will jagged."

She was the Emperor's Hand. She could be hiding it extremely well, just waiting for the moment to finally complete the last command given to her. :)

14. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Page 283 would be when Jaina realizes her feelings for Jag.

15. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Dark Tide was where I realized my feelings for Jag. [face_plain]

16. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Becca, I think she means she wants you to PM her with the actual excerpt so she can make her own interpretation of it. :) Either that or put it in here so we can all read it as well!

On a lighter note, I tried my local Walmart for Dark Journey, but I think that getting them early there only works about a day or two in advance, either that or I need to find a super-center. :)

Jae Angel

17. Jag_Fel

Jag_Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    You are SOOOOOO wrong its not funny.

Jag is a cool, intelligent, and unbearably sexy guy. I would know.

But seriously, Kyp and Jaina? Never gonna happen.

18. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999

No, he is an arrogant miserable ubercharacter, with an Imperialistic facist streak :)

19. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    i sure your commet was in geust, but after all this time she is going to kill the father of her baby [face_plain] ,besides the way she's going at it with luke it look like she want another child.

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    The so much better way to completely destroy your target - corrupt their bloodline forever. :)

This is something even Darth Vader and the original red-headed Emperor's Hand realized when they had their turn at destroying Luke Skywalker. Death is so very easy. However, destroying one's hope, essence, good name and breaking their spirit takes much more work.

Corrupting the offspring of your enemy holds so much more artistry than a simple knife in the chest.

:) It actually wasn't in jest either.

21. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    get over it mara's changed for the better and i will evan say kyp has changed for the better turning jaina from the dark side, i will leave you alone with you baseless paranoia.

22. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Ouch, exar. That was pretty uncalled for. You're going to deserve everything Ghengis throws at you.

While I don't agree with him at all on this particular topic, I'm certainly not going to call it "baseless paranoia". It's just Ghengis' take on the situation "from a certain point of view".

JMA

23. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    its unrealistic of him to think that she fufilled her missin by killing luuke skywalker.

24. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001

No, I don't think that's the correct three-letter name. I think the correct one starts with K and ends with a YP!!! ;) :D :)

And I WOULD know! ::rolls tongue seductively:: [face_mischief]

:D

Jae Angel

25. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    that certin point of view is rather extreme and rather unralisatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.