main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania ELECTION 04 - Who *will* win? (Official Discussion of 2004 Federal Election)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ender Sai, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    My God.

Never have I seen worse apologism for a woman-bashing, violent, alcoholic misanthrope in my life.

2. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Well I can see six things wrong with that sentence already.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    as we saw with the example of Howard Dean, anyone who acts in a way reflective of the average member of society, or shows some signs of personality, is crucified and hounded out of politics.

True to a degree, but not completely accurate. You have to keep in mind the scale.

With Howard Dean, if his outburst was a isolated incident, a real "caught up in the moment" kind of thing, he would have been fine.

However, rumors that he was short tempered and "uneven" persisted before his display. It cemented the perception, and sent the characterization over the edge.

It would be like if Russell Crowe was a politian (stay with me here ;) ) and rumors that he was a drunken brawler existed under the surface. When he actually did get in a drunken brawl, he would reinforce that image.

However, if Judy Dench simply got drunk one night, I doubt that it would seriously affect her image.

4. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
  5. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I like a bloke that will stand up for himself.

6. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    When our troops go to war, it is ALWAYS a failure of government

How ridiculous. Whatever you think of Iraq, is it ludicrous to say that troops should never be sent into battle.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The "fight" 15 years ago, despite being a load of crap sprouted by a disgruntled ex councillor and his drunken mate, is ancient history. Why look back to an incident so long ago. Really, do you care what Howard did in his late 20's? Does anyone even remember back that far?

Oh please, boo hoo for Marky.

The guy who made a career taking political cheapshots and pot shots is having a teary and da big bad guverment is twying to dig up dirt on him.

Stop being a sook, Mark, you can dish it out, take it like a man you big mincing sissy.

However, if Judy Dench simply got drunk one night, I doubt that it would seriously affect her image.

Will you stop with the Judi Dench obsession?!? :eek:

She's far too old for you, you pervert! :eek:

I like a bloke that will stand up for himself.

So what about having a teary to the press? "Muuuum, the Libs are picking on me."

Latham needs to for once look at the WWPD? - What Would Paul Do - bracelet, for this is an opportune moment to do so. Every other time he and his ****head friend Rudd try to channel the Great Paul, they end up coming across as arrogant fools, and not cool arrogant fools like teh Paul.

And I'm sorry but it's not like the ALP before this government didn't do the same thing. It's just that the Libs had years of A-List material to use on the ALP that was wasted when dozey Mr Crean was the leader; Crean made himself a fool without the other side trying.

Anyone hear about Access Economics report on ALP Industrial relations policy? How it will stall both economic and job growth?

How ludicrous; find me ONE time in modern history when centralised economics failed! You only have to look to the workers paradise, the FSU (Former Soviet Union) to see how wonderful centralised economics could be! [face_whistling]

E_S

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Anyone hear about Access Economics report on ALP Industrial relations policy? How it will stall both economic and job growth?

I'll get to it when I finish reading the Access Economics reports that say that the Libs are draining the coffers by trying to bribe people for this election ;)

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Grim diagnosis though; basically, it's **** the economy and all the progress we've had over the last few years - consistent GDP growth, 10 consecutive months of unemployment figures dropping, 2nd highest standard of living in the world after Norway (up from 6 in 2000 and from the 20's during the early- to mid- 1990's...) - by voting ALP - either through their policies or by their mismanaging their inherited policies... :eek:

E+S

10. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    So you got the part about the ALP but skimmed the part about the big spending Lib budget damaging the economy did you? The Lib's "get back into office at any price" budget bribery is going to increase interest rates in the very near future according to Access. Of course if the ALP is in government when it happens, it'll be all the ALP's fault won't it?

The emotional Latham we've seen is due to the scuttlebut that the Lib media was whispering around the traps about his family. I'm not surprised he got up and said knock it off. I do however think we should move on, he's said what he wanted to say, let's get back to the real issues. No-one but the Packer and Murdoch media care anyway.

Speaking of Keating, he's come out and said that Armitage, was "dumb" and being a political "thug". Ahhh, it's good to have the old scumbag back. Latham needs to get back to his roots and give the yanks a serve again.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, they didn't say it was bad for the economy, they said it was tenuous balance to maintain. Do the math; they're already saying the ALP policies will hurt the economy, and giving them the Libs budget plan is going to make matters worse or better?

And why is it when Keating calls someone a thug, it's celebratory, but when someone calls Latham a thug - and I don't think Dick Armitage has broken anyone's arm yet - they're John Laws listeners. You work that hyprocrisy girlfriend!

Latham should get back to his roots, eh? What, back to Liverpool council or back to being a cocky backbencher with no sense of decorum? Or maybe he should just break a Liberal MP's arm? :p

E_S

12. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    This is what Access Economics associate director David Rumbens said about the governments big spending in the past year:

"Certainly the additional spending, all other things equal, is going to add to inflationary pressure and that will put some upward pressure on interest rates and we may see that come through in the first half of next year through a rise of a quarter of a per cent or perhaps up to half a per cent,"

Raising interest rates don't hurt the economy? Why do you care about the ALP's record on interest rates then?

Don't go confusing the issues here E_S, what Keating said and what you said bear no similarities except the word. How I've missed Keating and his take no crap attitude. He actually said that the ALP wouldn't succumb to political thuggery. Totally different to what you said and you know it. You were calling Latham a thug in the literal sense.

People who call Latham a thug don't know the facts or refuse to listen to them because it suits their argument to ignore them.

maybe he should just break a Liberal MP's arm?

Yes. He should start with Downer.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't go confusing the issues here E_S, what Keating said and what you said bear no similarities except the word.

Ah, right, so it's more a double standard. When someone breaks the bones of another, it's unfair to call them a thug, but when a guy with a history of colourful verbiage does it, it's OK. Got it; I'll be sure to tell Mr Keating you approve.

"Certainly the additional spending, all other things equal, is going to add to inflationary pressure and that will put some upward pressure on interest rates and we may see that come through in the first half of next year through a rise of a quarter of a per cent or perhaps up to half a per cent,"

Right, so all those protestations by you about how you understand economics really are false, no?

WHO SETS THE INTEREST RATES?

The Reserve Bank. NOT the Government. If the Reserve Bank does change interest rates, good for them, it's not the Government's doing as they are autonomous.

Raising interest rates don't hurt the economy? Why do you care about the ALP's record on interest rates then?

OK, show me where I actually said that.

I've never commented on ALP interest rates; since the ALP too doesn't control them. What is the probable result of giving people with little to no background in economics (note: Being in the ACTU =/= economic experience) control of economic policies is that they tend to **** it all up. Which is why their outdated and pitiful policy of recentralisation - defying modern economics entirely - is slated as being damaging on GDP growth and job creation. By Access Economics. Those people who gave the government a slap for spending too much, and who said the ALP's policies are bad for the country. I agree with both; the Budget was a good budget which yes bribed the electorate in a sense; but the ALP will ruin the national economy through being a party with scant experience in economics. Plenty of humanities backgrounds though.

People who call Latham a thug don't know the facts or refuse to listen to them because it suits their argument to ignore them.

Any man who uses physical force to resolve a dispute or to get their own when there is no need to use physical force is a thug.

The word thug can be defined as; "A tough, often aggressive or violent youth."

Yep, that's soooo Armitage and not Latham...

E_S

14. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    The Reserve Bank. NOT the Government. If the Reserve Bank does change interest rates, good for them, it's not the Government's doing as they are autonomous.

So the Government is being disingenuine when they claim that their economic credentials are better than the ALP because they've kept interest rates low?

Sure. I'll remember that next time you all carry on about 17% interest rates in the past. It wasn't the ALP's fault! Damn that reserve bank!

Any man who uses physical force to resolve a dispute or to get their own when there is no need to use physical force is a thug.

As I said, you don't know the facts.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'll remember that next time you all carry on about 17% interest rates in the past

I'm sorry when did I mention interest rates at 17%?

As I said, you don't know the facts.

And you do, of course, and your anti-incumbency makes you the model of objectivity?

E_S

16. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    And you do, of course, and your anti-incumbency makes you the model of objectivity?

So says Captain Impartiality. :p

I don't make inaccurate and inane statements about it, so I'd wager I do know more about it than you.

17. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Alright you two, back in your corners.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So says Captain Impartiality

OK, if I'm Captain Impartiality, do you want to be

* The Scarlet Anti-Incumbent?

* Dr Objectivity?

* Mr Objectivity?

Help me out here? ;)

E_S

19. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Can I be the randy office co-worker who makes regular leering passes at the new secretarial staff?

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes you can be Gareth Keenan of FF Oceania. ;)

What do we think of the Beazley thang?

E_S

21. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000

I think it's just everyone calming down. Latham looks better for having him there, the Yanks have a reason to stop the attacks on the ALP and the Libs have lost a lot of ammo.

Simple politics, really.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but one could also say it's another cynical move by Latham to appear more attractive to voters, by bringin an old popular face in.

He's also regained some ground with the US, because Kim's a top bloke who's staunchly pro-American; and they finally have SOMEONE with a clue talkin about Defence.

E_S

23. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    As I said, it's simple politics. No biggie.

Latham's put out two fires at once and has also improved the popularity of his party in one swoop by having Beazley on the front bench in a position he knows.

Not cynical, sensible.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There's a difference in an election year? ;)

Still, good move, though one could say Beazley and Garrett are part of a team which may include Rove McManus and Ray Martin... ;)

E_S

25. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Ray would never be part of the ALP, he's such a one eyed Lib supporter.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. I could have won a million dollars if anyone had taken my bet. Howard has pulled out the "Wall to wall Labor governments" tactic.

Saw it coming from a mile away. I should be his campaign adviser.

Check this site out. The Libs are hopping mad about it, wonder why?

John Howard Lies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.