main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Election Game Results and Decision

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Straight up, I'd like to thank the time that The Gatherer put in in starting this rolling, and Sapient for stepping up and continuing it, whilst being on the back-foot the majority of the time. Also to those that took the time to have a go in this kind of trial, and I'm glad that for the most part, people had fun with it.

That all aside though, this maybe-not-so-simple game has started to become much more of an issue than it should. It's nice to see people are concerned about things, but the sheer amount of effort that is now being devoted to this by members, and by necessitation from that, moderators, really is way too much. Tempers are getting flared over all of this, there is blackmailing attempts, we have over 300 posts here in Comms in only a few days, and we have moderators devoting a lot of time and research into this, rather than posting here for fun and moderating the forums specifically.

Straight up, the results of this poll can in no way be taken as accurate. We have got admissions of using socks to vote, and while we could also log into the socks that Vert refers to, all we can establish is that they voted, not who for. Also, the number of accounts that are registered every day at this site averages out currently to just under 100. For the two days prior to this poll closing, the numbers were between 200 and 300 accounts per day. That is a larger jump than we were seeing at the time AotC was released (approx 150 per day from about a week before to mid June IIRC), and realistically, I don't think that the Clone Wars property and the release of Tattoine Ghost can realistically account for that.

There is no way to accurately guage the "true" result of this poll. The results are unreliable at best, flagrantly biased at worst. I have currently "closed up" all the forums related to this game. If there are threads that you'd like to keep, save them during this week. The exact time and fate of these forums isn't fully determined, but of all the forums, the debate one is the only one likely to not face the axe. The VIP status' will remain until this weekend.

Thank you again to those that did put in a bit of effort with this, and I hope that you did enjoy the game overall.

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Oh, come on, Kadue. Give Troy Denning a little bit more credit. [face_laugh]

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, come on, Kadue. Give Troy Denning a little bit more credit.

Troy Denning is the bomb-diggity and I fully give him enough credit to, not only drive that much traffic, but create all those socks himself! [face_shocked]

4. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    This is a ridiculous debate. let's look at why:

1. The mods had the choice of whether to do this election or not. They had many people in support of it, and many people against it. They knew the risks involved with running the game. They themselves decided they would go and make the game board and start the game.

2.If you got those pms from parties and weren't interested, the least you could do was send a reply saying "no thanks, I'm not interested" instead of whining about it and making a big deal out of it. I got 3, I haven't complained yet. And why are a lot of people complaining here the people who lost the election? be real sports, stop trying to ruin the winner just because you feel you should have won.

5. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"And why are a lot of people complaining here the people who lost the election?"

Who here is complaining because he lost, hmmm, Iwish?

By my count, 68 different people have posted in this thread. Only 3 of those were candidates who lost, and only 1 of those has made any sort of comment that could possibly be construed as bitter over losing. That is less than 1.5%, Iwish.

I hardly call that "a lot."

AYBABTU?

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Saying IWish at the end of your sentences makes you sound like Gollum.

And I agree with Kadue on this issue and will now move to the Mod Squad update thread where I am sure drama will ensue as we are steadily approaching the second page and have gotten past all the 'Great update. Thanks' posts. Gollum.

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    So that's it? We will not receive the 6 months that we all played for? It's only until this weekend?

I hardly see how that's fair. I have seen no conclusive evidence that my supporters cheated.

but the sheer amount of effort that is now being devoted to this by members, and by necessitation from that, moderators, really is way too much.

What do the handful of people who are obsessing over this have in common? They're all people who disliked me before the election. They're all part of the same little group of friends. They'll never admit it, but it's a personal issue and nothing more.

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Understand that this discussion was going on just as much in Mod Squad. This is why we have the structure we do so when we get in these sort of predicaments we can have the head administrator come in and make a final call.

9. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    "I hardly see how that's fair."

Yet certainly you can agree that the election wasn't fair, either, AT60.

I can see, in some twisted way, that, yes, you won, given the rules of the game... but those rules allowed for sock voting. You yourself said such an election and victory would be "a sham", did you not? It's nothing personal. I'd be arguing the same way regardless of who won or didn't win.

Vertical

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    This is rediculous.

I am therefore tending my resignation, effective immediately. I will also be taking a vacation from the JC. The length is unknown. Could be as short as a week or as long as a year. It'll probably be at least a month.

This was supposed to be a fun game, but instead, it was ruined. I have been unable to enjoy my title because of the constant personal attacks against me, blackmail attempts, et al.

Content removed. Kit or anyone else who is reading this, please let the Canadian Fanforcers know. Thank you.

11. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    (( NO COMMENT ))

[face_plain]

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Okay, but that's your choice.

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I see you edited my message to make it look like it's all about the colours, Ghengis12.

Here's what was edited, minus the attacks:

Drama has made the JC no longer fun, and when it is no longer fun, there is no point in coming. The JC takes far too much of my time, and recent developments in my personal life prohibit me from being able to spend such time here any longer. I am no longer willing to devote such valuable time to a place that does not give me the joy it once did, many years ago. I was planning to leave this summer anyway, but why wait?

I have friends here. If you are one of them, don't worry. I can still be reached on MSN. For the rest of you, farewell.

EDIT: Attacks make the baby Anakin cry, AT60. They will not be tolerated, which is why they were edited out from your initial post. Had you simply posted this to begin with, your post would not have been edited. It had nothing to do with making it "all about the colors."

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    A game. It was a game.

15. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Because of the way the game was played and the rules set, there is no possible fair outcome. It's a pity this wasn't realized before the game started, but it wasn't. Now let's hope that the decision with the most amount of fairness is reached.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because of the way the game was played and the rules set, there is no possible fair outcome. It's a pity this wasn't realized before the game started, but it wasn't. Now let's hope that the decision with the most amount of fairness is reached.

A decision was reached already. Kad-"The buck stops here"-ue made his decision above. I expect that's final. :)

17. Darth_Envy

Darth_Envy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 20, 2002
    I say we have an election for Drama Queen of the JC.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I say we have an election for Drama Queen of the JC.

Are men eligible?
    Are Mods or VIPs?
    Can we vote with polls?

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The game is over. Seriously, and I'm thrilled that Kadue did it and the way in which it was done.

20. Darth_Envy

Darth_Envy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 20, 2002
    anyone is open for nomination, but special consideration should be given to those that threaten to leave the JC over a silly sock tainted figurehead position.

21. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That's right, DS. It was a game. Unfortunately, it was a game that went too far and destroyed my faith in the JC as a place to have fun. A person can only take so much abuse before they break, and I've reached my limit. That's why I wish I never played it in the first place.

Why I am still here, defending my decision to leave, I don't know. [face_plain]

If the decision is ever made to hold another election game, I hope the participants have fun with it, because that's what it's all about, and I hope that the winner doesn't have to go through what I've had to go through.

Now would someone please remove those tainted colours from my username?

OK, one last thing. THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE GAME. This is about what this game has shown me about the JC.

22. SPACEMONKEY20

SPACEMONKEY20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001

Yeah, it was just a game.... our party (The Blue Yoda Party) played it as just that... a game.

We didn't expect to win..... On our end, we just wanted to do something that would help clean up the image of the Blue Yoda Society. We are sorta like black licorice... You either love us or hate us.. (mostly hated) and that's fine.

We could have easily racked up 300 votes with socks, but decided against it early on for that was not our objective. We had the forsight to see this sort of thing coming.

I know it was partly my fault for lobbying for an all JC election.... I contacted the leaders of all the other parties to have the rules amended to accomodate this. We went in good faith hoping that all parties would play fair and not resort to the tactics used to adjust the polls in their favor as well.

I commend Darth Sapient for picking up the duty of administering the game... and I understand his disdain for it now.

The game was actually cut short, in the end. It was originally supposed to be a "series of polls" where it would be an ongoing vote to get to a point where the leading party would have 51% of the vote. If it had continued this way.... we might have had a different outcome, and a lot less drama. I do understand the feelings of DS though that "enough is enough", and just get the dang thing over with.

AT_60.... I'm sorry for you. Regardless of what others say, I always thought you to be a decent chap. At the same time, If I were you.... I would have conceded the election last Friday and just been done with it. Your defensiveness has caused you great harm, my friend.

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Friend, this should hardly be the event to cause you to turn your back on the JC forever. Don't let one incident or a collection of comments destroy your 'faith' in the JC. If you feel you need a break, step away for a day or so and put it all in perspective. Come back to the JC and post again as you always did.

24. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I never said it's forever, DS. I said that it's for an undecided period of time while I

A) Break my addiction to this place (my post count says it all. I spend far too much time here)
    B) Give time to other priorities such as my family
    C) Give everyone a chance to cool down, stop the drama, and hopefully make this board a fun place to be again

25. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Wow...I never knew such a game could turn so sour. [face_plain]

*shrugs*

I and the GRKP have retracted from the political race and are preparing to regroup as a social thread to hopefully be relocated in the Star Wars Community forum.

From here on out we will be known as simply the GRK- advocates of peace and agreement and friends united despite the tainted effects of this Election.

I too commend everyone- party leaders, party members, Sape, Gatherer, etc.- for their hard work and successful forged path throughout the some 4 month process of making friends and creating allies. For that, I am thankful.

I am saddened to hear that you are going, AT60...you are a good person, no matter what others say about this petty Election game.

*sighs* I truly hope we can forget about this in a few weeks time and get on with the peaceful and nice posting I am accustomed to on these boards.....

Good day mates. :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.