main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Election Game Results and Decision

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Lets see, PM spamming, sock voting(which I know atleast one person admitted to and theres rather heavy circumstantial evidence for more) thread spamming(posting the same thread in multiple forums)...

Nope, no evidence of violating the rules of the JC or the rules of the game at all.

The entire thing is an administrative judicial headache and I hope it won't be repeated, ever.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, the flagrant abuses of JC posting (multiple Forums, PMing, etc.) are being dealt with.

The sock voting admitted to had no bearing on outcome (though perhaps inspired other sock voting which did).

So, all in all -- we're cool. :)

3. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    So I guess no one else see's the irony in depending on an honor system in a political election?

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    So I guess no one else see's the irony in depending on an honor system in a political election?

*raises hand*

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I see this thread as being full of potential ironic hilarity, farrie.

But, it's just a VIPship, and if nothing can be proved, then there's no use getting worked up about it.

?Eaglet

6. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Good thing we're past the days where a VIP actually meant something, eh?

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    If this game goes on again, I suggest that the voting be done by thread. No spamming of the thread; only votes allowed. *shrug*

At least then you could have proof or what not of cheating.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
      sub·tle·ty. ('s&-t&l-tE) n. p -ties Middle English sutilte, from Middle French sutilté, from Latin subtilitat-, subtilitas, from subtilis. 1 : the quality or state of being subtle
      2 : something subtle 3 : see AYBABTU's posts.

9. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    This election was a sham. [face_plain]

10. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    is this "PM spamming" considered a violation of the election game rules? if so, wouldn't it be prudent to strip the winners of their crown. i could care less who won, but if they broke the rules then they should be disqualified.

2¢

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    No, but you're close. The election was actually a game.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    s this "PM spamming" considered a violation of the election game rules? if so, wouldn't it be prudent to strip the winners of their crown. i could care less who won, but if they broke the rules then they should be disqualified.

I can't give all the answers... some people just have to connect the dots sometimes...

13. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    i didn't ask because i'm not capable of connection the dots. i asked because i never payed attention to the details/rules of the election game, and i don't feel like taking the time to read that thread. i thought maybe someone around here would know off the top of their head.

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Right...
      "The game will be played similar to the American system of government."
    :eek:

15. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"Of course there are no wrongdoings. As AYBABTU has pointed out -- if there were, people would have stepped down already."

I'm sure that AT60 realizes that a victory through subterfuge or rule-breaking is no victory at all. If he had been elected through the unethical efforts of himself or others, then to remain in power would be to do a disservice to himself, his party, Canada, and the JC. Anyone who has followed AT60's time here at the JC knows that he would never do anything to discredit Canada, so I believe that all this talk of stripping him of his title is premature and baseless. The ultimate "proof" will be in his own actions. If he chooses to stay, then I think everyone can rest assured there was no wrong-doing. I, fo one, don't think he is the gutless type to hang on to even a ceremonial title won through inappropriate means.

AYBABTU?

16. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I realize this is a heck of a lot of work, but I like the idea of "registering voters."

The way this could be done is to open a private board with the poll in it. To vote, you would need to get access to the board via the admin. It would drastically cut down on the possibility of sock posting since you have to be admin approved to vote.

As I said before, it would be a heck of a lot of work, maybe an Election Commission could be formed to do this.

17. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999

* There will be a SUPREME COURT consisting of 12 moderators. If the elected President breaks any rule of the JC Forums, this will go to the Supreme Court for impeachment review, and if found guilty, you will be impeached (IE: BANNED!) and the Vice President shall then become President for the fullfillment of that term.

so, if the winner has admitted to PM spamming, which is a method of breaking "any rule of the JC forums," then i would think that means the winner will now be "impeached."

er, right?

18. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    You know that does sound logical to me, unless the rule was not clearly defined prior to his committing the act.

¤Night

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The rules were in place before any parties were created. They haven't been changed since.

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Vaderfett...
    "...If the elected President breaks any rule of the JC Forums..."

As the intent of the game is to follow the U.S. system, the Supreme Court would presumably merely interpret the existing laws, not create new law. The key is how "elected President" is to be construed. As the violations all occurred prior to anyone becoming "the elected President," I would argue before the Supreme Court that they can in no way, shape or form be used under rules governing elected Presidents.

Until such time as someone is an elected President, then they are merely governed under the rules that govern all regular users. And as Sapient stated in the original post of this thread, this will indeed happen. AT60 will be punished as a regular user for crimes committed as a regular user. AT60's crimes were not committed while he was an elected President...

And furthermore...
    "so, if the winner has admitted to PM spamming, which is a method of breaking "any rule of the JC forums," then i would think that means the winner will now be 'impeached.'"

I would additionally argue that an admission of guilt is not necessarily in and of itself the same as an actual rule being broken, it is merely someone purporting that they broke the rule. Therefore, if someone admitted to PM spamming as an elected President, then that means his behavior would at least be subject to an impeachment review, of which one possible outcome could be agreement and therefore, impeachment.

But, that's just if I were to try to argue the case before the Supreme Court. Since I have not yet been engaged to do so, I won't address such issues yet. ;)

21. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Errr....Genghis? It's a game.....

UKS

22. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh please.

Violating the rules automatical makes you ineleigable for for whatever benefits that such violations might bring.

And furthermore, the only time an admission of guilt wouldn't be accurate would be if the person was lying.

Are you accusing AT_60 of lying now too?

23. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Next time, I think everyone should post their vote in a thread, and have all the mods count.

Also, I think the person should have to have at least 300 posts, and be registered for 3 months.

So, unless someone has a very active sock, there wouldn't be any problems. :)

24. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I'm quite disappointed with the whole election exercise. I would hope that this is a trial run of it and if we have another election that by the then or the problems would he ironed out.

Here are some of my thoughts:

a) Gatherer leaving. Sape did an admirable job under the circumstances, but the original idea for the Elections was ultimately lost. I would like to see in future a dedicated ?host? who can give the time to run a successful election. But I would like to congratulation Sape for stepping in at such short notice and continuing the election. J

b) I was under the impressions that how well the Party Presidents performed in the Debates would help determine whom people voted for. There were hardly any serious debates about how to improve the JC etc.

c) The whole PMs debacle. Without any do?s and don?ts guide to campaigning, we didn't have much idea of what was acceptable. I'd suggest something like that if we have a future election. I really don?t think AT60 and others can really be blamed.

d) The socks scandal. From the outset of the game, people were calling for an alternative to polls, as we knew sock voting would be a very big issue. As others have suggested, voter registration, although time consuming, would lead to a more honest election.

I probably won't be taking part in an election again.

25. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    This election was a sham.

The whole game was a sham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.