main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Election Game Results and Decision

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Envy

Darth_Envy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 20, 2002
    If people come forward, there were wrongdoings. If people do not come forward, there were no wrongdoings.

Ahh, I see we are taking the "head in the sand" approach to dealing with what occured.

oh well, so sad.

2. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    This whole thing was garbage from the start, and we all knew it. How this game was allowed is beyond me.

We aren't allowed to have popularity threads, or praise threads, but we devoted an entire game to be a popularity contest, giving the winner(s) six months of colors. For doing nothing, except being there, and what's this? PM spamming! IM spamming (Oh yes!), and Sock Voting.

Everyone who worked so damn hard(read: much sarcasm) to get their candidate elected (read: sarcasm) gets nothing anyway, since the "president" has no power, so there isn't the benefit of your ideals being implemented, as there is in the US System.

This is just complete, utter crap, and it's existance astounds me.

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I can just as easily say "This game sucks." I'll be frank, I never was too fond of the game, but I don't think it's fair to say this game stank because some people were overly desperate to win long-term VIPship.

Yes, I've gotten PMs from people (both familiar and unfamiliar to me) to vote for their party. I didn't vote for anyone simply because I wasn't interested, not because I was questioning any group's integri-tah.

We know who started this game. Because he no longer holds any real weight in the Mod Squad, it's highly unlikely this game will happen again. Let the winning party enjoy their status, while it lasts.

Let this be a lesson to all of us - as of right now, I really don't think it's a good idea to hold any games with a tangible (read: VIP status) reward anymore. If there are to be games in the future, then those who choose to play illegitimately have nothing to shoot for.

Perhaps, if more games like the Gauntlet were made (in which cheating would be virtually non-existent), VIP-ship wouldn't be out of the question. But games with obvious loopholes should be played just for fun, IMHO.

4. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

It's a little too late for anyone to start complaining about how silly this is. The only reward is colors and a title, anyway. Not a big deal.

I know a lot of people had quite a bit of fun organizinf their party and posting in the election threads, so the game was a success, in that respect.

The only question seems to come from the way the players handled the final voting step. That's where the game jumped the shark. But still... it's just for colors and a title. No one else at the JC is affected in anyway.

And the real question about even the voting itself is whether or not socks were registered for the sole purpose of influencing the vote. I am confident that AT60 and his team would gladly step away from this entire thing if they had knowledge that wrongs had been committed that swayed the vote in their favor. So as soon as comes back from his ban, I'm sure we'll have some resolution to all this. The Truth rests with AT60, and he will relay that Truth to us through his actions tomorrow.

AYBABTU?

5. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I don't suppose now would be a good time to call for a recount? 8-}

I think the entire game, results, and aftershocks should be discarded as an experiment gone awry. Chock it up to experience... If you decide to do something like this again, then treat it more like a real election, and only allow pre-registered vusers to vote in a closed forum, accessible only to those prereigstered, thus removing the usage of socks, and giving a more "election type" feel to the game.

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    How about just doing away with such petty things all together?? Give those who seek attention one less avenue of pursuing it.

7. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    People enjoy it.

But talking about the Gauntlet, bring it back! I loved that game!

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    You'll find that those who do enjoy it are usually those who seek attention and it quickly becomes a vicious cycle.

9. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Bring back Gauntlet. :D

I was the last runner banned in Gauntlet 4. :D

The only sock that I have is for Gauntlet. ;) Can you guess the name? That's right..... GauntletSock :p

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Im dissappointed to hear how this ended. The only reason I even voted was because someone( a canidate) walked into an a few aotc threads and informed us that the voting was going on. I already knew my party had no shot but I voted anyways. As to this sock usage is their anyway using ip's that only the username used most can vote?
    probably not. Too bad about the game. It was fun.

11. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    *thinks that most of the people saying the game was stupid are just sore because they lost*

;)

So is there going to be another go, or is the idea going to be scrapped?

12. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    The problem with that is that many people access the boards from public places, or from multiple locations.

I myself have probably a dozen or more IP addresses used on these boards, mainly since I have used at least seven different computers at work to post, at least one at school, and my home computer, not counting other locations.

How can we tell someone they can't vote, because their IP has already voted, when they go to the JC from their school or library? It's possible that they are two completely different people.

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    In general, the game was fun until voting began. I think that teams did enjoy themselves getting themselves organised together under various banners, and carrying out animated discussions.

Essentially, that was the fun part. The debates, I feel, played absolutely no part in the final elections, which was disappointing because they could potentially have turned out very interesting, had more effort be put into them. However, they were there simply for token purposes.

As for the PMs sent - I received one, rather early on. I think that it was fine to send PMs for the entire election (perhaps earlier on?), but not just to get people to vote for your party in the end. Last minute voters, I feel, don't really represent anything because they can be so easily swayed, and furthermore, it does cause irritation to others.

And of course the socks issue. This is a game, after all, so I hope that the winners have the moral integrity to accept that their victory is not without blemish, and that there will continually exist those who doubt the finality of it.

Basically, the game was pretty pointless, although it created some fun for people. But it was more of a popularity vote than anything else, and I think what happened just goes to show that there are those who will adopt desperate measures simply for victory. Maybe future games should just revert back to the old 1 week/2 week VIP period, and for actual games where cheating cannot be (or is not so easily) introduced.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, really. No offense to AT60 and Kit here, but what did they do to deserve colors for half of a year? We work our asses off, harder or just as hard for the house cup (actually DOING things), and we get a week.

This game involves mass pms, socks, and spamming, and they get 6 months, all for "organizing" some people, and making a few banners. Woop!

15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    From the President: Inauguration speech

First, I would like to address the issue of scandal in the election. As the only contestant to admit to sending bulk PMs, I served a 24 hour ban. You and I both know I wasn?t the only one. Many people who I did not PM have posted in "Are mass PM's considered to be the same as spamming?? " complaining about receiving PMs from numerous contestants. I came forward to retain the integrity of the Canadian Party. I accepted my punishment, and if my campaign bothered anybody, I apologize. I limited my PMs to my own friends and Canadians, however, so the responses to my PMs were generally quite good.

Now, I shall address the issue of socks. I took 15 screenshots of the standings during the course of the election. They tell an interesting story. The Canadian Party held a 10-30 vote lead throughout, up to the final hours of the game. At that time, it all went crazy. During my ban yesterday, I took some time to try to get to the bottom of what happened. I talked to my own supporters, and KenKenobi, the runner-up. I was unable to dig up much information. There is evidence that both the Canadian Party and the GRKP party cheated, as well as H-FRIC. H-FRIC was dealt with on Wednesday, however. I can?t prove that GRKP cheated. What I?m interested in is the Canadian Party. Since I can find no proof that my supporters resorted to dishonest means to win this election, I must trust that they did the right thing. I very much wish that this title was not so tainted, but under the circumstances, I have chosen to accept DarthSapient?s endorsement of my victory.

Because of these scandals, and the negative feelings between members that this game can breed, I would like to announce that I will not be seeking a second term, and any proposal to hold another election at the conclusion of my term will not have my support without serious reforms. (Drama monkeys stop reading here)

Now that that is out of the way, there are some people I would like to thank:

Sar-Tamber-lac, who was extremely valuable in getting us the support of Atlantic Canada, which was the bread and butter of our support. She also helped to keep me sane during the nerve-racking election process, and she was a positive influence who reminded me of the importance of an honourable win. She is currently serving a 48 hour ban for sending bulk PMs. Thank you for your support, Tammy. I hope you have a truly enjoyable birthday. :)

KitFist0, my running mate, was relatively inactive during the election itself, but was a great help in the months leading up to it. He helped me to recruit members, form the winning strategy, and offered advice countless times. He also helped keep me calm during the scandal of the last few hours of voting.

atomik, our chief graphics designer. He created the campaign logo that can be found in my profile. It is a great logo, as is his new Canada General banner, and on behalf of the party, I would like to thank him for his contribution.

tendra_217, who created the party icon. Due to jedi-mind-trick?s inactivity, it has not yet been uploaded. This will hopefully happen shortly. I regret to inform the members of the Canadian Party that DarthSapient has decided to make it only available to KitFist0 and I.

The Gatherer and DarthSapient for organizing and running the game, respectively. I don?t blame them for what happened in the last hours. I wouldn?t want to have to manually count hundreds of votes either, and that is why I will not support another election. The game was quite fun, up until the end. Thank you.

THE_GREAT_SPANKSA, who helped gather information for us. He was also a good supporter.

All the members of the Canadian Party, and all those who cast a vote for us. We could not have done it without you.

I would like to take the time now to congratulate all the other contestants. You went through a lot, as I did, to get to the final vote. Many of you created your parties. You a

16. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

[image=http://www.iuphar2002.org/images/Canada.jpg]

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I have to agree with what Xie said. Where did the 6 month number come from, that does seem a bit excessive compared to what has been rewarded in the past for games.

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That number was approved of by the modsquad (I assume) and announced by The Gatherer when the game started. It is 6 months because that's the length of the term.

19. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    " During my ban yesterday, I took some time to try to get to the bottom of what happened. I talked to my own supporters, and KenKenobi, the runner-up. I was unable to dig up much information. There is evidence that both the Canadian Party and the GRKP party cheated, as well as H-FRIC. H-FRIC was dealt with on Wednesday, however. I can?t prove that GRKP cheated. What I?m interested in is the Canadian Party. Since I can find no proof that my supporters resorted to dishonest means to win this election, I must trust that they did the right thing. I very much wish that this title was not so tainted, but under the circumstances, I have chosen to accept DarthSapient?s endorsement of my victory."

Curious. You said there was evidence that the GRKP cheated, but you cannot prove it. [face_plain]

20. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    i think that everyone needs to just take a few steps back and put into perspective what we are actually arguing about...

VIP status on a internet web page discussion forum...

and that isn't even the truth:'

having some silly colors next to your name on an internet web page discussion forum...

sorry to be the spoil sport but you guys are being ridiculous....

i personally hadn't posted since like august then i come back to the boards with a vengeance this week and i am blown away with this whole election. it is a very good and fun game...

if we have to suffer through some pms.. big whooping deal... who the heck cares about getting pmed....

sock voting? whoooo the boogy man... again this is a game...

and i can say this for sure... BLAME CANANANANDA!!!!! <------ joke

also which party was the EU party?

21. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Personally, I think that's a crock of poopies.

We should have a King/Queen game where the prize is for LIFE!!@!@! Because that's how they do it in England.

The game was NOT nearly as involved as other games out there, and it rewards 24X as much VIPship as the most generous (The house cup is a week of Un-Color-Changing VIP).

I really think 6 Months is ridiculous, for the obvious cheating (by all parties, don't give me crap AT60), and lack of actual skill this game took.

it is a very good and fun game...

Thank you, I was worked up, and needed to laugh.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    if we have to suffer through some pms.. big whooping deal... who the heck cares about getting pmed....

Clearly, quite a few people care about it.

I can understand your desire for perspective, but let's not dismiss people's legitimate concerns.

Some are concerned simply for the principles of the matter and not just the game itself.

23. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Curious. You said there was evidence that the GRKP cheated, but you cannot prove it.

Yes, that is correct. I have suspicions that both parties cheated, but I can't prove either one did. Without lack of proof, I cannot accuse anyone. I can merely note my suspicions.

24. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    You have screenshots eh? How many votes were cast in the final hours? I bet a lot more than the first and middle. I don't remember there being 230 votes for you guys when I voted the day before it was over.

Curious. You said there was evidence that the GRKP cheated, but you cannot prove it.

Yes, that is correct. I have suspicions that both parties cheated, but I can't prove either one did.

Suspicions aren't evidence.

25. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

There you go, people! No problems at all! I believe we can rest comfortably in the knowledge that there was absolutely no wrongdoing that contributed to AT60's election, or esle he most certainly would have declared the entire affair a complete sham and stepped aside. Nothing to see here! Move along!

AYBABTU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.