main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Election Time!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    It's January, and that means it's time for the annual SMT Presidential Election. (Yes, that's right... The rumors aren't true- I didn't declare myself Emperor and dissolve the senate. :p )

Note: I'm writing these rules on the fly here, so if anyone objects to anything, let me know.

CANDIDATES: Anyone who has attended at least three SMT events in the past year, and is 18 years or older, can run for the office. (This is to insure that the candidate is serious about taking the job.) They can have their choice of either a running mate, or allow the runner-up to serve as their VP. If you'd like to throw your hat in the ring, then do so in this thread. The deadline for declaring your candidacy will be Saturday, January 15th at noon.

ELECTION OFFICIALS: The actual election will commence Sunday, January 16th. I will ask our RSA ,Mandy (Minacia Brightstar), to act as our election official. (If Mandy is unavailable, the I'll ask another RSA or GSA to fill the role.)

VOTING: Again, voting will commence on Sunday, January 16th at 12:01 am and will end at midnight on Sunday, January 30th.

You may vote only once using your primary screen name within the voting time frame. Only those who have attended an SMT event will be eligible. Subsequent votes using sock puppets will not be accepted. All votes will be PMed to the named election official under the subject "SMT Presidential Election", and will include your choice of candidate and your real first name. Should you fail to include your real first name, the vote will not be counted. (Think of the first name requirement as your SMT Voter's Registration Card). The election official shall have every right to investigate any irregularities involving voting, and can contact you or any of your fellow SMT members should any questions arise regarding eligibility.

ELECTION RESULTS: The Election Official will declare a winner on Monday, January 31st. (or as late as Tuesday, February 1st to allow for personal scheduling conflicts.) Should a tie occur, and neither candidate wishes to concede, a run-off election will occur on Wednesday, February 2nd from 12:01 am until midnight and the winner will be declared on Friday, February 4th.

UNANIMOUS INCUMBENT SUPPORT AND "NO CONTEST" ELECTIONS: Should all SMT members who are eligible to vote decide that the current president should remain in office, and the incumbent president wishes to remain in office, and no other eligible member wishes to declare his/her candidacy, then the election will be considered unnecessary. This can only be decided on after the allotted time frame for declaration of candidacy for election has expired.

Should the Incumbent president decide not to accept another term, the Vice President may accept the presidency if he/she so desires. Should the Incumbent President decide to remain in office, but the VP wishes to give up the office, then the president shall choose a new VP.

The same rules shall apply in cases of "No Contest" elections.

Should no one decide to run for the office of president, and the Incumbent president and the Vice President wishes to leave office, then an open call for candidates will be placed again exactly one month later and the process shall take place in the following month. This will be repeated until a president has been elected or declared.

There. All contingencies should be covered.

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Now, with all of that out of the way...

Once again, I'm throwing my hat in the ring and shooting for term #3. And if she'll accept, I'd like to have Rhonda as my VP running mate.

3. Obi-G-Y-N

Obi-G-Y-N Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2004
    Suckers...I mean- great! :)

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
  5. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    Since Robert and I are still fairly new to the group, and this is our first election, can someone explain the role and duties of the office of president please. We are very patriotic and want our voices heard.

6. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Can we do early voting? I would like to elect Palpa Tim and Darth Rhonderoo long live the empire!!!

7. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Vote for Wonderpants, and I promise to keep you safe and uphold moral values! (hey, it worked for Dubya ;) )

So I live 4000 miles or so from Memphis and have been to one meetup. What about it? :p

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    By TF.N standards, the position is known as City Rep- the ambassador, if you will, who represents FanForce and Star Wars to not only the web community, but the real community as well. The SMT combines this position with its presidency.

The president is responsible for not only the day-to-day operations of the SMT, but also serves as a "moderator" for the club's boards at TF.N. In this capacity, the president may be called upon to resolve minor conflicts that occur on the boards. While the CR/President may not hold the full moderating powers of an official TF.N moderator or administrator, it is his duty to police his boards and call attention to infractions of TF.N's Terms of Service by reporting to his superiors. He will also be called upon to settle disputes that occur off the boards at SMT functions.

Additionally, the president is also responsible for the planning,organization, and execution of major club events as well as overseeing said events, and is responsible for public relations in regards to activities that involve the SMT in the greater community. This extends to determining the degree of financial involvement that the group as a whole can dedicate to certain projects and events and planning accordingly. The president may ask that dues be collected should the financial needs of the club exceed the level of member donations, or work to find other ways to finance club events. (In the past, this has primarily come from the president's pocket and the pocketbooks of very few others. This will no longer continue.)

While the president may recruit members of the club to fill certain positions, (eg. Treasurer, Publicist, Webmaster, etc), he is responsible for overseeing each "department", and is ultimately responsible for the execution of duties that the assigned jobs require.

The president may negotiate contracts on behalf of the SMT, including legally-binding documents. (This probably won't happen very often, but it is a contingency of the job.) The president is then also responsible for overseeing that said contract is fulfilled. (Note: No contract will be approved without the approval of the majority of SMT members.) Because of this, no one under the age of 18 may hold the office.

The president is responsible for not only all of the above, but also sets the course of the SMT through personal touches and policies. It is his job to help create and maintain an atmosphere that is enjoyable for all. This is accomplished through his hard work, and sometimes the sacrifice of his own personal enjoyment for the greater good of the group.

The VP, not only serves as a backup should the president leave or desert his duties, but also assists in all of the above. The VP is not required to be as involved as the president, but is expected to be more involved than the average member.

Having been president now for two years, I will tell you that you only get out of this job what you put into it, and there are no guarantees that anything will work out the way you think. It's been full of surprises, and it's had its share of disappointments as well. I've put a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and money into this outfit to get it where it is, and I know it can go a lot further. But, I also know that one man can't do it alone, and that it's really a team effort.

And IGNORE THE MAN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC! :p

Don't tempt me into getting you elected, Ben. You know personally what comes with this job!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, John.

Note to self: Do not use Sith lightning on John.

9. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    Thanks Tim! I kinda thought it ment that your house was headquarters and the meeting place. I did not realize that you are the rep for the City. I personally don't know how you do it. You have a wife, 2 children, a full time job and you manage to do all this club stuff too! I am impressed. I just go to work and come home and I'm exhausted. Are you the Energizer Bunny in disguise???
    =D=

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Kelly. There are times when I do wish that I was the Energizer Bunny. At least I'd get some residuals from advertising then, and I could play the drums to boot.

Oh, and I forgot that I incorporated the SW meetup group from Meetup.com into the SMT by becoming the organizer there. So, there's another responsibility to add to the list.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Whatever you do, DO NOT threaten to impeach the President, for then he will do the Dance of Joy and laugh heartily (while drinking a martini) at whatever poor sap gets the job after him.

One more in favor of Tim/Rhonda in 05!

-Joe

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Joe knows all too well the mixed blessings of leadership. You love it, but some days you wouldn't mind giving the job to someone else. Thanks for the support, man.

And since you mentioned martinis....

cue shaker

13. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I'd like to run for the Presidents Advisor position!!! You know, the one that stands off to the side and whispers suggestions on who to execute and what systems to take over. Long live the Republic!

14. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    *smacks J for the foul Wormtongue reference*

Anyway, as much as I would love to put my hat into the ring and vie for total and complete domination of the SMT (It would be my own little EMPIRE!!!), I am painfully aware of my limitations as a college student, lazy@$$, and all around grunt. Therefore, I must pass.

*puts on her "Tim/Rhonda '05" t-shirt and holds up a tiny little triangle banner*
    Go team!!

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    But haven't you been the one whispering to me at all of the SMT events, Jay?

"Psst... Tim- Have another drink."

I really appreciate the kind words of support, y'all.

I love democracy...

I love the SMT...

I shall lay down these powers.. cough, er...

I should go work on my cabinet.

Go ahead... make the obligatory liquor cabinet joke. I was just about to!

16. Emperor_PalpaTim

Emperor_PalpaTim Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2004
    Shhhhh.... Don't say anything else you idiot! They may start to suspect something!

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Sorry, Master.

Where's my acting coach?

Hey, it worked for Reagan.

18. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    *comes out of a closet, wiping blood off of her hands*

Acting coach? What acting coach?

*moan*

Excuse me. *ignites lightsaber and re-enters closet*

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

19. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Isn't a president's term 4 years..? I know mine ended up being that with the MSCA! :)

I'm happy being the Dark Lord Of SMT Propoganda for the club! Speaking of which, I dropped off a few SMT flyers I had left over from TC!1 to ShadowCon on Friday, and policed a couple of younglings badmouthing TC!1 at Comics and Collectibles. Don't worry, they'll live- but they will respect all things TIMMY! from now on!

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Lin. I knew I did right by choosing you as Dark Lord of Propaganda.

BTW- Can the TC! naysayers still have children, or did you take care of that for them?

21. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    They'd have to have sex with a girl first- and by the looks of them they're taking care of that not happening themselves! ;)

22. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I love democracy... :p

23. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    I love the SMT!! With our fearless leaders....how can we ever go wrong here!?!?

24. Valeska

Valeska Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I vote for the Tim/Rhonda ticket.

Even though I am with the Republic. See, I can't go darkside but I married into it.

The Gina Monster

25. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Question regarding the rules, Tim...ya said one must have attended at least one meeting. Is that one meeting in the past year, or just one meeting period? I haven't been to one in a looooong time, so I'm just wonderin', bro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.