main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Electric Guitar for the first time?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by JediTrilobite, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    In the AOTC soundtrack, did any one hear an Electric Guitar on track three? That's the first time I've heard an EG in an orcestra.

2. SheetmusicLover

SheetmusicLover Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2001
    It has been done before

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Thank god it was cut from the film. Horrible. Anyway it's been done before. Not in Star Wars but in James Horner's score for A Perfect Storm. I am sure there are others as well.

4. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    All those who don't like electric guitar - either in the film or in general - are just closed minded people.

I think it sounds excellent there. Of course I'm not desperate to see Star Wars swamped with nothing but guitar riffs everywhere. It was nice touch.

5. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Experimentation is great in orchestral music. Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back use synthesisers on a few occassions.

The electric guitar fit the mood of the scene, but I think it put the track a little over the top. That's just a personal opinion, though.

:)

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Don't get me wrongo- I think it was pretty cool to have it there.

7. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    I loved the guitar; seemed very fitting. If it were to be used in the film, it could have easily been mistaken as source music.

There?s also some electronic orchestration in the Menace album as well, but not in the film. You hear it right before the Emperors theme when the Viceroy was talking to the dark lord in Naboo.

In Danny Elfman?s Spider-man there is a guitar-solo, as well Dead Presidents.

8. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    There is also a heavy guitar element in both the Armagedon and Mr. Holland's Opus soundtracks.

9. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Wow which parts have the synthesisers in ROJ?

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I haven't heard those sound tracks.

11. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    "In Danny Elfman?s Spider-man there is a guitar-solo, as well Dead Presidents."

That's not the first time Elfman has done that either. He used a guitar solo in Anywhere But Here and also Good Will Hunting, I think. He also used a very wierd kind of guitar in Men In Black but I have no idea what you'd call it.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    All those who don't like electric guitar - either in the film or in general - are just closed minded people.

That's bull. I am a very open minded person. Sure it's easy to write off those that disagree with you as being close minded but that is simply ignorant.

I listened to the guitar bit in AOTC for a few weeks with an open mind before I finally decided I didn't like it. I still kept an open mind when I saw the film to see if I liked it where it fit in the film. It's not in the film, so I guess I am not the only one who didn't like it.

13. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Fair enough Strilo. You have proven me wrong.
    OK what I should have said is those who dismiss it before they've heard it are closed minded.

Which is not the case with anybody in this thread. Ah well.

14. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "That's not the first time Elfman has done that either. He used a guitar solo in Anywhere But Here and also Good Will Hunting..."

True, but Dead Presidents came out before those movies.

"He also used a very wierd kind of guitar in Men In Black but I have no idea what you'd call it."

I think it was a very synthesized sting solo.

"It's not in the film, so I guess I am not the only one who didn't like it"

Like Lucas? Yeah, but he did some pretty bazaar editing music-wise in this movie.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah Lucas did do some bizarre music editing. But in the case of the electric guitar, that part of the cue is used in the proper place, there is just no electric guitar there. And that's a good choice, IMHO.

16. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    In RotJ, you can hear a synthesizer in the bass while the Rancor-keeper is weeping. ;)

When it comes to the music editing, I'd rather have the entire score as Williams wrote it (electric guitar and all) in the film than keep Lucas' other edits.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well sure me too but we don't get that choice do we?

18. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    ah yeah GasCabbie, I remember it. That goes so well with fatmans weeping.

There are so many moments when I can't tell what is score and what is sound effect. That is the genius of JW, GL and Ben Burtt - it's all seamless.

19. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    Hans Zimmer ("The Rock", "The Peacemaker", "Gladiator"...) and his "deciples", like John Powell, Trevor Rabin or Mark Mancina, use E-Guitars in a lot of their scores... I guess it was Zimmer himself who introduced this style to soundtracks... but don't quote me here.

20. TwistedMentat

TwistedMentat Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    Actually, the electric guitar is used quite well in the AOTC track Zam the Assassin and the Chase through Coruscant.

The first time it was very strange but after repeated "listenings" I found it to be really amusing. Too bad they didn't use it.

21. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "I guess it was Zimmer himself who introduced this style to soundtracks... but don't quote me here."

Ah nope, Elfman?s Dead Presidents came out in 95, The Rock came out the following year.

For those who don?t have Danny Elfman?s Music for a Darkened Theater II should really check it out. It?s definitely one of my favorite Elfman scores, as well one of the best score compilation soundtracks ever.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have listened to it hundreds of times and I still don't like it.

23. funky-gonk-droid

funky-gonk-droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    I think there is a recognisable synth sweep when Luke enters Jabba's palace in ROTJ. Wasn't there also some really weird contempary sounds used in TPM celebration music right at the end of the movie? It almost sounds like there is some sampling used and I can hear a decidedly cheesey digital synth in the mix. But hey both of the above worked. I think a snippet of the guitar part can still be heard in the speeder chase in AOTC when Anakin sets the speeder into a steep dive. I think it works because it sounds more like a sound effect than anything else. Oh yeah remember "JEDI ROCKS" in ROTJ? Now that was taking the poodoo. :)

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    stri, I love the electric guitar in AOTC. :D

:p

25. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    I can sort of play that guitar riff now.
    I wasn't able to make out bits of it over the orchestra, but I have a bare bones version of it that I can play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.