Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan (the revised version)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Frostfyre, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Frosty, after nearly 3 years... it's wonderful to hear that this story finally has an ending. It's even cooler that we'll get a chance to read it. ;)
  2. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hope everyone had a merry Christmas...and I sincerely hope, that if anyone was around the tsunami-hit areas, or had family there, that all is well. :)

Considering the situation, the journey to Scotland was, if unorthodox, swift and uneventful. Derry had not, in his haste to escape, disabled the swoopbikes stored at Haven. Holmes turned a bit pale when he learned how we were to travel, but made no remark. For my part, I was a bit excited at the prospect of flying once more. There were men all over the world trying to solve the problem of flight, and were close to success, but it would be many, many years before the people of Earth might come close to what the swoopbikes could accomplish. I counted myself lucky to have a taste of what coming centuries might bring.

Although the journey was accomplished in a matter of hours, the need for secrecy made it quite uncomfortable. To avoid detection we had to fly very high up, where the air was thin and bitterly cold. Although we all bundled up against it, the chill still worked its way through layers and the wind of our passage tugged at my helmet, making my neck and shoulders ache with the effort of holding my head steady.

I rode with MacEiver this time, while Holmes rode behind Grey Wolf. Though he had said nothing, the Jedi had apparently sensed Holmes? discomfort at the impending flight and had chosen as his flight partner one who was cautious and steady in the air, not given to wild antics as some of the others were. Accompanying us were Mrs. Hudson, Shannan, Maeve, and Far Lao, as well as Ben and Qui-Gon. The others remained behind in London, there to disperse and seek for Moriarty, his men, and anything else related to Derry?s operations.

We left late at night, timing it so that we would arrive at our destination around dawn. I was disappointed at making the flight in darkness, unable to see the land below. Unable to see anything but darkness and the occasional star (it was cloudy) I dozed off. The events of the past week had been wearying beyond belief, and rest had been in precious short supply.

I was awakened by MacEiver?s voice, speaking softly to me by means of the helmets? comlink. ?Doctor...look.? I blinked awake, wishing I could rub the sand from my eyes...then promptly forgot all about my discomfort.

The sun rose over Scotland, tinting mountains and hills with rose and lavender, chasing away the dark and clouds of the night. Trees and homesteads rolled by below, tiny and insignificant from our perspective. Streams and lakes glittered like polished steel in the growing light.

?ETA five minutes,? said Mrs. Hudson?s voice. ?We?re setting down a few miles from the landing site...keep your eyes open, people. I doubt Derry is alone down there.?

I craned my neck, trying to see better. We were over mountains now, the sparse settlements vanishing behind. The machines began to descend, the mountains growing large around us.

?There?s Mailen?s ship,? MacEiver said, lifting a hand from one of the bars to point. ?See it??

I followed the direction of his finger and felt my jaw drop. The gleaming silver shape clinging to the mountainside made the swoopbike I now rode look perfectly ordinary. Finding words to describe it is difficult, since I had never seen its like. It reminded me of nothing so much than a great bird of prey, like Sinbad?s Roc, or perhaps a dragon of ancient legend. It was easy to believe that such a machine could indeed fly through the vast oceans of space.

We set down on a relatively flat spot?though the ground was still rough and uneven. I took off my helmet, tugging at the collar of the unfamiliar clothing the Jedi had given me. They seemed to be of leather?though I could not be sure?and were far more form fitting than I was accustomed. I felt painfully aware of my stocky form.

Holmes, tall and slender, looked well in them, as sleek and deadly as a big cat. The illusion was marred a bit by the fact that, as he dismounted from the swoopbike, his steps were rather un
  3. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah-ha! Dissention in the ranks. Personally, I hope the squash him dead. Derry's a jerk.
  4. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I like how the posts are written from Watson's point of view. It adds something to the story.
  5. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Great, great post. :)

Sooo, Maeve and Derry were... close? I think that adds to the drama here... ;)

I foresee great action coming soon! :D Please, hurry up with the next post, Frosty!
  6. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not Maeve and Derry, but Maeve and the murdered Jedi, Ilein. She wasn't faking most of that performance in the morgue. Sorry if that wasn't clear...:)
  7. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am no stranger to campaigning. Though I served as a surgeon in the Army, and so marched toward the back of the columns, there was no such thing as a noncombatant in the Afghanistan campaign. We had our riflemen, trained snipers and skirmishers who scouted around the main column, but in the harsh and alien landscape of that desert land they more than met their match in the wily natives. The Afghani tribes fought to a code much different from our staid and traditional tactics, and showed little mercy even toward the medical column that trailed behind the main force with the wounded and dying.

Scotland was not the bleak, rocky wastes of Afghanistan, but on this chilly morning it was terrain as fraught with potential hostility as that distant place. I kept my weapon loose in its holster, and wished for a good Baker rifle rather than the unfamiliar blaster. Even my revolver, small and short-ranged as it was, would have been preferred?but Holmes had that tucked away somewhere, for what purpose I did not know. Every nerve stood on a knife?s edge, and my eyes strained for anything remotely out of place that might signal an attack. The landscape around us was silent?a sure sign that somewhere ahead the enemy lay in wait. Everything was breathless, hushed in anticipation of battle.

The Jedi spoke not at all, but moved with easy, flowing grace. If they felt the same tension as I they gave no sign. The unease in my heart grew; more than ever I agreed with Holmes that they were far too confident.

When it came at last, it was not in any form we had anticipated. Instead, I felt the air around me grow heavy, and my steps slowed. I felt as if I were wading through honey, and my lungs ached with the struggle to draw in air turned suddenly strange. The weight increased, and even the Jedi began to slow. My knees nearly buckled at one point, but a pair of hands caught my arms and hauled me upright. It was Holmes, displaying once more his remarkable hidden strength. Even so, he moved with nearly as much difficulty as I.

Eventually we were forced to a halt altogether as the air became a near-solid entity and movement became an impossibility. Though the Jedi appeared outwardly unconcerned there was uneasiness in their eyes. I tried to speak, to ask a question, but found myself unable to force the words through the thickened air.

Then he appeared, from some distance off, strolling toward us as nonchalantly as if he were on a Sunday walk in the park. He drew to a halt a few yards from the group, grinning like a naughty child at his handiwork.

?Like flies to honey,? Derry said. ?How obliging of you.?

Mrs. Hudson managed to speak, though not without some difficulty. ?Derry...this is pointless. What do you hope to gain??

He snorted. ?I should think that was rather obvious. An entire world, at my whim and whimsy, ripe for the taking? It certainly beats the hell out of hiding here like a condemned rat, unable to glory in what we are.?

?The Jedi Order is not about glory, Derry,? Qui-Gon said. ?And what are you going to do with an entire world? You?re only one man.?

?Perhaps...but I am a man with a god?s power.? Derry laughed unpleasantly. ?See how helpless you are in the face of my power? No one will dare stand against me!?

?Derry, you know that the Dark Side will only destroy you in the end.? Mrs. Hudson?s voice was pleading. ?Come back to us. It isn?t worth it.?

?Oh, but it is,? the renegade purred. ?Perhaps it will eventually destroy me...but frankly, my dear, I don?t care. I will enjoy the power and glory that is mine for as long as I can.?

?We can?t let you do this, Derry,? Maeve said.

?And what are you going to do to stop me?? he sneered.

All at once, the pressure holding us in place vanished, and lightsabers flared to life. Derry reeled back, face pale. I could only guess that the Jedi had made a concerted effort to break his hold. They advanced on him in a half-circle.
  8. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    It looks like it is time for Holmes and Watson to see a real lightsabre battle!
  9. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Woohoo!! *waits eagerly* This should be great. :D
  10. Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Kriff I need to re-read this!! AH! I am so far behind... *whimpers* *tries to catch up*

:_|

11. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Grat poodles, I didn't realize I'd missed a couple posts and one so long ago!

Ahhh, Watson is so lucky to see a view a rare few will see till decades in the future. Hmmm, so Maeve is a bit of a rogue... temper and being... close to another. I have to agree with her though, there are always some who can be deemed save.. some you can only be judged by a higher being. Whoa... looks like Maeve is right and Derry will now be removed.. I can't see his giving up, though if he's truly darkside he might surrender knowing he could get a later chance to escape.

Wonderful posts!!
  12. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    ?Turn away from the Dark Side,? Qui-Gon said. ?There is still hope.?

Derry?s face twisted with rage. ?I abandoned hope when I was left to rot on this backward planet! The Council will never let us come home, and I?ve had enough of playing to the whims of those who care nothing for me!?

Holmes? hand closed around my arm. ?They will have to kill him,? he murmured. ?I?ve seen men like this before. He turned his back on their Code with deliberate intent. There is no coming back for him.?

Looking at the ugly hatred on the renegade Jedi?s face, I could not but agree. I like to believe that anyone can be redeemed, that no matter what evil has been done a man might return to the path of righteousness. After all, that is the very core of Christian belief...but I also knew, in my heart, that such redemption must come with choice, and that though God may forgive, there does come a point of no return, where a man has made so many evil choices that he will never find the way back. Indeed, when a person has reached that point, they no longer wish to come back. They have made the choice, and embraced the darkness. I did not know the twisted path that had led Derry to this, for I did not know him...but he had all the hallmarks of a man who has passed that fatal point.

The Jedi, it seemed, did not share this belief. While the credo that no living thing deserves execution is admirable sometimes that is not the practical solution. Perhaps they had a chance of capturing Derry, of imprisoning him somehow?but how much destruction would he cause before they succeeded? How many lives might he take? The expression in his eyes promised death.

He proved it a heartbeat later. As the Jedi closed in, weapons ignited but with little intent to harm, Derry erupted into action. Actually, the ground erupted, throwing the Jedi back and driving me to my knees. Holmes staggered, but kept his feet. I allowed him to pull me back up, and we stared in mutual horror at the chaos the renegade unleashed.

It was as though the gates of Hell had suddenly opened. The ground beneath us heaved and bucked, sending up showers of earth and stone. A howling wind tore at our clothing, drawing streaming tears from stinging eyes. The Jedi were tossed about in the center of the fury, unable to cope with Derry?s ferocious power. Holmes had been right; Derry was far more powerful than any of them had supposed, and the potential stolen from Moriarty?s men and the captured Jedi had stayed with him.

The tempest ceased for a moment?though I sensed it was only drawing another breath to howl?and Holmes crawled over to Mrs. Hudson, who was struggling to her hands and knees. ?You must kill him!? he said, his voice harsh.

She shook her head. ?Jedi do not kill unless there is no other choice. We must try to turn him back.?

?Dammit, woman, he isn?t going to?? Holmes? words were cut off as Derry attacked again.

Horrors and nightmares charged us from every side. This time, at least, the Jedi were a little more prepared, and battled the creatures. They might have been half-illusory, but they caused very real damage. A monstrosity snagged Maeve?s arm with a taloned appendage, opening up a long, bloody gash. The lightsabers had but minor effect on the creatures.

Strangely, though, they seemed to ignore Holmes and I. Creations of Derry?s mind and will, they were focused?as he was?entirely upon the Jedi. To the renegade, neither myself nor my companion were considered a threat. We were ordinary humans, incapable of attacking a Jedi with much success.

I raised my blaster, intending to fire at a horror threatening Far Lao, but Holmes knocked my hand down. ?Don?t attract their attention,? he hissed.

?But??

Even as they battled, the Jedi pleaded with Derry, trying to coax him back from the Dark Side. He laughed at them, and hurled lightnings. Shannan was hit, and fell heavily to the ground. Grey Wolf threw himself on top of her as the nightmare creatures closed in, claws reaching. Ben, the youngest and most impetuous (and, from the looks of things, the fierc
  13. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow! See? That's what happens when you give the bad guys too many chances....
  14. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Great job with the fight sequence.
  15. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aw...Koshka died? My sympathies, Lilith. A toast to her memory, may she rest in peace.
  16. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    The sound of the shot was lost in the chaos around us, but I saw his finger tighten on the trigger and the hammer move. My gaze flew to Derry, to the center of the terror.

He stood unmoved, triumphant in his power, and I felt the world reel beneath me.

Then...

An expression of pure shock crossed his face. He stood, frozen thus, for an endless moment. For a moment, the chaos intensified, howling in hellish fury around us. I was knocked once more to my knees, but did not take my eyes off Derry.

Then the maelstrom faded...Derry?s knees buckled...the chaos subsided.

The renegade Jedi fell forward on his face. Holmes had made the shot, and taken him straight through the temple.

The revolver lowered, then fell from Holmes? fingers. I hauled myself to my feet yet again. Holmes was, if possible, paler than before, his entire body rigid. He met my gaze, and for a moment his customary mask slipped, and I saw in his eyes the horror he felt at the cold, deliberate murder he had just committed.

?There was no other way,? I said softly. ?You knew that.?

?I know,? he whispered. ?I knew it from the start.?

?You should have let me do it,? I told him.

Holmes shook his head, a short, violent movement. ?No. You couldn?t have made the shot.?

He did not say that it was also to protect me, or the innocence he felt I had, that he so cherished and relied upon to keep his perspective true. He didn?t have to. Though I felt that I did not really have that innocence, I was well aware of his faith in it, and how important it was to him. In a way, it was a token of how deep our friendship ran, that he was willing to make such a sacrifice for something so very intangible.-

There was nothing to say. There had been no other choice?Derry had seen to that. I reached out to grip Holmes? shoulder briefly, wordlessly. He nodded, took a deep breath, and fixed the mask back in place.

We turned to face the Jedi, and the consequences of what Holmes had done.
  17. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Not Maeve and Derry, but Maeve and the murdered Jedi, Ilein. She wasn't faking most of that performance in the morgue. Sorry if that wasn't clear...:)

*slaps forehead* No, it's just me who can't read. [face_plain] Sorry.

Anyway, AWESOME action sequence!!! I'm absolutely speechless. I love how you managed to create the tension and atmosphere of the whole scene. Bravo! :)

Now I can't wait for the Jedi's reaction to what Holmes has done... I feel another philosophical debate coming... ;)
  18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Chosen One

star 6
    Hi, im one of your lurker readers. I thought to let you know that I have saved this story on Adobe Acrobat for the big move the JC will be making just in case the thread or some of its posts get lost.

If you dont know about the move, go to JC Comms to find out.
  19. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't believe I didn't reply earlier. Frosty, you're doing a great job of finishing this up! I'm sort of sad to see it end, though... :/
  20. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Good way to get rid of that one!
  21. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

Oooooo...DSL. Wow. This is *nice.* (Yeah, I know, I'm easily amused...but hey, it's a new toy. ;D
  22. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

Okay...the ending is undergoing a slight revamp; Lilith kindly pointed out to me in our last conversation that I had a couple of threads I still needed to tie off, which I had completely forgotten about. So...well, hey, it won't be long. I promise! ;)
  23. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    It is sooo not my fault! But I eagerly await either the post itself, or a chance to beta it. :D
  24. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Oh wow!! What an exciting couple of posts!! I was beginning to wonder how many of the Jedi had to die before they realized Derry was not coming back to the light.

I so dread when this wonderful story is over. :(
  25. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.