Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan (the revised version)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Frostfyre, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    I believe they're pro-fic. Sorry. Money will be required, or time in a local B&N.
  2. The Butler Jedi Master

star 4
    I suddenly reflected that she hadn't acted a bit like this when I¡¦d first met her; on that nasty little jaunt with Holmes I'd entitled ¡§The Sign of Four.¡¨

[face_laugh]

How in the world did I survive eighteen months without this story?

3. Sarah_K Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah, Mary! Pretty and pert and ?strong-willed? ohmy,yes. It?s funny, the poor girl spends so much of her time getting slid to the side to allow for a new Holmes/Watson thingymawhosit; either she had to give permission, or they had to sneak out, or she was just gone. I wasn?t the least bit surprised when Connan Doyle finally made Dr. Watson a widower! She was just too difficult to manage.

Your tactic was much more inventive, and, may I say without any offence towards poor Watson, much more amusing as well! [face_laugh] I can't wait to reread this next part.

Loved the bit in the cab! Great stuff, all of it. :D Must go get breakfast...

Sarah >^,,^<
  4. menilma Jedi Master

star 4
    ?And be careful with these Jedi. They?re strange, and though I doubt you?ll meet a more rigidly moral group of people, they play a deadly game. Don?t cross them, and don?t interfere when they tell you to back down.?
    Fabulous line Frosty! I loved both posts and I can't wait for it all to continue :D

5. Jedi_Nifet Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

Tea, all in all, was surprisingly pleasant. Holmes, wizard-like, somehow perceived my half-formed notion of revenging myself on him for his earlier behavior, and behaved precisely opposite from what I had expected. He was polite to Mary, as he was with most women who did not irritate him, and not once during the meal did he betray anything other than civility.

The only hiccup came when Ben realized that, as courtesy demanded, he was required to remove his hat. Mrs. Hudson reminded him of this with a meaningful look and raised eyebrow. He darted back out to the foyer, and our landlady followed. They returned some five minutes later. Ben?s hair had been carefully smoothed down, the odd tail at the back removed and the longer hairs somewhat blending in with the rest of the hair on the back of his head. The braid seemed to have vanished, but a close look revealed that it had been rather cleverly pinned back along the base of his skull with, I guessed, some of Mrs. Hudson?s hairpins. Ben now looked not so much an oddity as merely the victim of a bad barbering job. Mary, who had not ever seen him without his hat, merely gave his hair a mildly sympathetic glance.

Realizing we would not be discussing his origins, Ben tucked into the spread Mrs. Hudson provided like a normal, hungry young man, and proceeded to utterly charm Mary. I was fascinated by the change?he had been so consistently taciturn and silent previously that it was a little startling to see him suddenly all smiles and compliments. After a while, I noticed that he was subtly drawing from my intended information on London, the British Empire, and our world in general, all without letting on that he knew virtually nothing about it. Only once or twice did he let slip ignorance on something he should have been familiar with, but he recovered so quickly and smoothly I doubted that Mary even noticed. I likely would not have noticed if I hadn't been watching for them. Holmes said very little, but I could tell he approved of Ben's skill. I found myself desiring to meet the fellow who had trained the young man so well.

The meal ended without incident, and as Mrs. Hudson began clearing away the tea things Holmes cleared his throat. ?We have quite a lot to do, Watson,? he said. ?Miss Morstan,? he addressed my fiancée, ?I apologize that I must monopolize so much of your intended?s time, but this case??

?I quite understand Mr. Holmes,? she said evenly, though I could tell she wasn?t completely happy with the situation. ?John???

?I?ll see you home, Mary,? I said quickly, feeling something of a heel. After all, our wedding was only a short way off, and here I was practically abandoning her? ?Perhaps we could discuss, ah, the linens on the way?? I extended this pathetic peace offering as a child would extend a captured lizard: not at all sure of its reception.

Mary, bless her heart, received it well. She returned my smile. ?That would be lovely, John.? We rose to go to the door when a sharp gasp from Ben drew our attention.

He had suddenly gone deathly pale. Mrs. Hudson, standing just behind the young man, placed her hands on her shoulders, worry etched on her kindly face. The physical contact seemed to brace him, and he straightened.
    "What is it?" I asked, concerned.

"My master...I felt him, just for a moment." He dragged his hands back through his hair, leaving it standing up in agitated tufts.

"John," she began.

"I'm sorry, Mary, but you have to go," I said. "This is a terribly delicate case, and?ah??

"I understand," she said. Wonderful woman that she was, she knew when to let a subject drop. Having been intimately involved in one of Holmes's more dangerous adventures, she'd no desire to become involved in another. ?You should stay. I think you?re needed more here,? she added. Kissing me lightly on the cheek, she murmured a goodbye to Ben, though he wasn't listening, and to Holmes, who waved a hand impatiently at her, and slipped out before I could do more than give a feeble protest. ?Come visit soon,? were her parting wor
  7. DarthCuppa Jedi Master

star 1
    "Trust me, Mr. Holmes, if things develop as I fear, you'll have plenty of opportunities to see what a Jedi can do firsthand."

Yes, please!!!!! :D
  8. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

By the by, Butler, I commend your taste in poetry. Kipling is an excellent author.
  9. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    By the by, Butler, I commend your taste in poetry. Kipling is an excellent author.

ROFL!!! Victorians-R-Us, Limited! :D

(from a definitely VR fan)
  10. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not surprised to discover that there are rats here just as there are on almost every planet in the galaxy. I don't suppose you have cockroaches as well?"

love that line :)
  11. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

Nightfall brought with it a cold, unpleasant drizzle that seemed to creep its way to the very bone. Autumn had arrived in London in full force. Holmes insisted that we wait until dark before venturing out to hunt informants. I was less than pleased at this?the slums of London are bad enough in daylight! It didn?t seem to bother Ben, however, and Holmes was as unruffled as ever.

Mrs. Hudson saw us off, a worried frown creasing her kindly features. She seemed to have attached herself to Ben, young as he was, as the perfect object for mothering. She was forever fussing over him or herding him off to the kitchen to ply him with food. As we left through the back door, she admonished us to be careful. ?Tisn?t safe, out there, Mr. Holmes. That Professor is a dangerous man?he?s sure t? have it in for you.?

?We?ll be careful, Mrs. Hudson,? he soothed her. ?Watson has his revolver??

She sniffed disdainfully. Our landlady had little liking for guns, I?d discovered. Most women, I?m sure, felt the same, but somehow I think it went even further with our landlady. From her various comments over the years, I?d formed the opinion that she felt they were supremely clumsy and inelegant. Had Mrs. Hudson lived in the sixteenth century, I suppose she would have been a rapier and main gauche sort of woman.

??and I?ve my own defenses. Ben?? Holmes glanced at the young man.

?Is well armed,? he replied, though the only thing I had seen him tuck beneath his coat was the strange cylinder he?d liberated from Holmes?s study. He still refused to tell Holmes exactly what it was. ?Though I hope it does not come to violence.?

?Well.? Mrs. Hudson folded her arms across her ample bosom. ?You just watch yourselves. I?ve got a bad feelin? about it.?

Holmes shot me an amused glance. ?We really must be going, Mrs. Hudson.?

?I?ll have some tea warming in the oven for whenever you get back.? With a final huff, she turned and went back into the warm kitchen.

It was a long, cold walk to the borders of the nearest slum. Holmes, despite his reassurances to Mrs. Hudson, seemed uneasy, and deemed taking a cab too great a risk. I wondered at this attitude, as he had received no further messages concerning Moriarty?s movements. Then I remembered what he had told me of Rat?s death, and realized that it may have disturbed Holmes more than he had been willing to let on before. I huddled into my coat, with chilly drizzle working its way past my upturned collar, and kept one rapidly numbing hand on the revolver resting in my pocket. The shadows around me seemed to crawl; the lamplighters had not lit many lamps on this wet night, and the spaces between the fitfully burning gaslamps were long. The footing was treacherous on the slick cobbles, and only very rarely did we see another living creature hurrying through the rain to somewhere warmer and dryer.
    ?You couldn?t have picked a more lovely night to do this, Holmes,? I groused. ?We?re all going to catch pneumonia.?

?Nonsense,? he replied. ?That?s what you?re for, Watson.?

?Part of being a good doctor, Holmes, involves preventing the illness in the first place.?

?You?re welcome to go back.?

I chose not to respond to that, instead turning my head to look at Ben. His shoulders were hunched against the cold, his hands buried in the pockets of the shabby overcoat Holmes had provided. As we passed a sullenly burning lamp, I could see that his features were strained. ?Are you all right?? I asked him.

He glanced up at me, his eyes hooded. ?I?m trying to sense my master,? he said. ?But something?s blocking me. I?m not sure if it?s because he?s drugged, or if it?s?something else.?

Unsure what to say to that, I lapsed into silence. It was another quarter-hour before we reached our first destination, a seedy little tavern titled The King?s Legs?the innkeeper?s idea of a joke, I suppose, on the hundreds of pubs scattered all over England known as ?The King?s Arms.? The interior was poorly lit and smoky, both from the damp wood thrown in the fireplace and the numerous pipes, cigars, an
  12. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    rapier and main gauche: Well! That's the first time I ask for clarification about something in my own language! Was fencing with the left hand supposed to be more elegant? Or was it a special sub-discipline? :D

I?ve got a bad feelin? about it.: ROTFL!!! The ultimate SW quote at just the right place! :D

The King?s Legs?the innkeeper?s idea of a joke, I suppose, on the hundreds of pubs scattered all over England known as ?The King?s Arms.? : Love this! Yours?

All in all, excellent!!!

13. Sarah_K Jedi Master

star 4
    Mrs. Hudson's line was priceless! There are the lines that are quoted until there is nothing left of them but a tattered cliché, and there are lines that you look for and laugh at harder each time you hear them. This is one of those, and for Mrs. Hudson to have it was hilarious! :)

I liked the way you fixed up Ben's hair when Mary came, and also managed to preserve the fact that she is a very sweet woman. As much as she had a tendency to get in the way at times, I still liked her and didn't want her turned into a spiteful, nagging sort of gal.

Kudos on Watson's descriptions of the group's blending abilities (or in his case, the lack thereof)!

And so Holmes and Watson have been introduced to Ben's odd skills... [face_devil]

Sarah >^,,^<
  14. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

(Now, medieval weapons are something I do know more than a little about!)

a main gauche was used as a companion to the rapier in the Elizabethan fighting style. It was more of a parrying weapon than anything else, serving the role a shield would have with a medieval broadsword. The style is very elegant, and more than a little viscious. For a brief but nice fight in this style, I recommend "Ever After", where the prince gets into the fight with the gypsy king.
  15. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was unnerving. I had the feeling that, if I were to leave these two alone much longer, they would start completing each other?s sentences.

:D [face_laugh]

I stop by and find three posts waiting. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

16. menilma Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan is being so utterly cool, the way he keeps Holmes off balance. It's so obvious that Holmes wants to figure him out and Ben just won't let him :D
    You know I love this Frosty, so please give us more!
  17. Dagobah_Y Jedi Knight

star 1
    Could Holmes be a bit jealous of the Jedi? :)

I think Holmes would probably faint if he sees Obi Wan jump up a 3 storey building. :D
  18. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    For the most part, Sherlock Holmes has always struck me as being too self-confident to be jealous of someone else's abilities. Unnerved, yes, and even baffled, but I just can't see him being jealous. He's just too arrogant, even where Jedi are concerned. ;D

Our destination was a tenement that was rundown even by the standards of this neighborhood. I could see a number of dark shapes slumped in the nearest doorways, surrounded by a cloud of gin-fumes. Holmes roused one roughly, and there followed a murmured conversation I couldn?t hear, along with the exchange of a few shillings. Then my associate straightened. ?He says that Shaever?s on the third floor, fourth flat.?

The interior of the building stank of old grease and urine, and Holmes had to dig out a stub of candle from his pocket so we could navigate the stairs. Shadows flickered eerily around us. ?Shaever is a fringe member of Moriarty?s organization,? Holmes explained softly as we ascended. ?If any of my contacts know anything about your master, he would.?

?Would Moriarty know that?? Ben asked.

?Probably.?

?We could be walking into a trap,? I said.

?There isn?t anyone up there right now but Shaever,? Ben replied.

?How can you be so certain?? Holmes demanded.

?As a Jedi, I can sense life forms, Mr. Holmes, as well as emotions. Shaever is terrified, but he?s alone in his room.?

My associate snorted, but did not say anything more. We reached the third floor, and after a cautious look around the hallway, Holmes led us to the fourth door, and reached out to slowly try the doorknob. Unsurprisingly, it was locked. ?I doubt he?ll answer if we knock,? Holmes whispered, and pulled out the felt roll that held his lockpicks. The lock was poor, and it only took a few seconds for him to conquer it, opening the door just wide enough for us to enter.

Shaever wasn?t difficult to find?he was huddled over a grimy gas lamp in the tiny main room, nursing a bottle of cheap rum and well on his way to becoming roaring drunk. He was about my height, thin to the point of emaciation, with tangled, shoulder length grey hair.

?Don?t bother getting up,? Holmes drawled with vicious amusement.

With a yelp, the man shot up from his stool, overturning it, and tripped on it as it fell. He tumbled into an ungainly sprawl on the dirty rug. ?G-get away from me!? he cried.

Holmes blew out the candle, dumped the little pool of wax that had gathered around the wick onto the floor, and tucked it back into his pocket. ?Come, now, Shaever. I always pay you well.?
    ?Money don?t do me no good if I?m dead!? The informant had pulled himself up into a crouch, hugging the wall beneath the room?s single window like a frightened animal.

?But if I learn what Moriarty is planning, I can stop him. And then you wouldn?t have to worry.? My friend strolled over to the stool, righted it, and sat down casually.

Shaever shook his head vehemently. ?It ain?t him I?m worried about!?

?No?you?re worried about his new ally, aren?t you??

?H-how did you??

?I learned a few things from Rat before he was killed.?

?Not enough,? the skinny man said with sudden violence. ?He didn?t tell you what that one can do!?

?And what would that be?? Holmes?s voice was soothing and gentle?the tone he used to coax information from those unwilling to give it.

It almost worked. Shaever opened his mouth to reply, then froze. ?No, no. I won?t talk. If I don?t talk, they don?t have any reason t? kill me.?

?These guns they have?what are they called, Ben??

?Blasters,? the young man said. ?Pure energy?lightning, if you will?rather than projectile. Very powerful compared to what you have here.?

?Blasters. Thank you.? His curiosity satisfied, Holmes leaned forward. ?See, we know more than we ought to already. You can just confirm what we already know?not really betraying anything. You do realize, Shaever, that they?ll kill you anyway, whether or not you talk to us.? His voice hardened. ?Someone was following us?once he sees that we?ve spoken
  19. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Ben flushed slightly. ?That is true,? he admitted, a little reluctantly I thought. ?All the same, I know where we need to know. Shaever not only heard about the prisoner?he?s seen the place and been inside the room. The image in his mind was very clear.?

I think that should be 'what', not 'where'.

"If I had more time to plan, I might be able to come up with something workable, but like this??

Do I hear the Princess Bride here....? :D

Loving it, Frosty, just loving it. :) Along with the near daily posting.
  20. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

Well, hey, the Princess Bride is one of the greatest movies of all time. Not to mention being the quintessential 'Mormon movie'. hehehehe...Though I will admit that I wasn't consciously making a reference to the Princess Bride. (Hmmm...ought to go watch that. Haven't seen it since way before I left on my mission...)
  21. The Butler Jedi Master

star 4
    *happy sigh*

I should have been born a Victorian. Anything from that period is fascinating--even those nasty alleys Holmes and Watson like to play in.

"You intend to mount a rescue with only the three of us?" Holmes raised his eyebrows. "That seems a little suicidal to attempt on the spur of the moment."

Smallness in numbers never stopped Holmes before--isn't he being a bit hypocritical here? ;)
  22. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3

Yes, well, he knows they've got stuff he's never come up against before, and he's the sort of fellow that likes to plan if he's outnumbered. Holmes can be impetuous, but I think he's a bit more careful where his life and especially the lives of his friends are concerned. ;D
  23. Sarah_K Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool scene! I enjoyed a little action, now that we've spent so much time establishing the characters and the plot. :)

And just the barest hints are beginning to come through that unnatural calm and intuition are not the only advantages to being a Jedi. ;)

I'm glad you had Holmes pick the lock, though. I don't want to loose track of his skills when compared with Obi-Wan's.

Sarah >^,,^<
  24. The Butler Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with Sarah. We wouldn't want Holmes to end up with a planet-sized inferiority complex because the Jedi can fly faster than a speeding bullet, leap over small buildings... :)
  25. Frostfyre Jedi Knight

star 3
    It was impossible. Even being there, seeing it happen, I found it unbelievable. Four men, roughly dressed and armed with silvery gun-shaped weapons, emerged from the stairwell, talking in low voices. Though the three of us were in plain sight, they did not so much as glance at us. Once they had passed, Ben moved on silent feet to the stairs, with Holmes and I following. I held my breath until we were out on the street and safely into the shadows of an alley. It was still raining.

?What do you know?? Ben breathed, relief coloring his voice. ?It worked.?

Holmes rounded on him, eyes flashing. ?You mean you haven?t ever done this before?!?

?Well, yes, but never on three people, just on myself.?

?And if it hadn?t worked? What was the alternative??

The young man looked grim. ?Then I would have had to kill them.? His voice was cold as he pulled the metal cylinder from beneath his coat. ?And that, Holmes, was something I?d just as soon avoid. Killing is not something Jedi take lightly. Besides, better to deceive and confuse them, than leave them silent if they are supposed to report in.?

?I see.? Holmes looked only slightly mollified. ?Next time, however, let me know if you are planning to attempt something you?ve never done before. I like to be prepared in the event of failure.?

?Of course.?

It was a tense fifteen-minute sprint from the tenement to the building where they were keeping Ben?s master, most of it spent dodging in and out of alleys. The quarter was suddenly teeming with pairs and groups of tough-looking men, some armed with clubs and knives, others armed with guns or the strange weapons called ?blasters.? It was evident that the men we had fooled at Shaever?s rooms had somehow put out a call that we were at large in the area. I wondered how, then remembered the device Ben had shown us. If they had devices such as that, communication would be far more efficient than anything Holmes or I had ever experienced.

At one point, when we were forced to squeeze into a shadowed doorway to avoid yet another group of hunters, Ben sighed. ?I wish I knew where they were getting the blasters,? he muttered. ?The report given to us said nothing about a shipment of blasters being stolen.?

?Could they be manufacturing them?? Holmes asked quietly.

?If this were a more advanced planet, I would say yes. But Mailen is a pirate, not an engineer, and no one here has the know-how to?? He broke off. ?They?re past. Let?s go.?

The building proved to be quite similar to the one we had just left?rickety, falling apart, and odiferous. Unlike Shaever?s tenement, however, it was obviously and heavily guarded. We huddled in the deep shadows of an alley across the street to assess the situation.

Ben said something softly in a language I did not recognize. I had the feeling he was swearing. ?They seem to be expecting us.? His eyes darted back and forth over the building, looking for any gap in their defenses.

?Could you use the same trick on the guards you used earlier?? I asked.

He shook his head. ?Not on that many alert people, even if I were to go in alone. No, it will have to be something else.?

?A diversion?? Holmes suggested.

?Yes. If I just had?What are you doing?!?

My friend suddenly rose, moving from the concealing shadows and out into the middle of the street, his hands in his pockets, whistling a Mozart concerto. I started forward to pull him back, but an iron grip on my arm prevented me. I stared furiously at Ben, but he only shook his head. Holmes appeared so nonchalant that the guards at first only watched him with wary curiosity.

Still holding onto my arm, Ben cursed under his breath in that same strange language, and pulled me out of our concealment into a dead run. His teeth were clenched, and since none of the distracted guards so much as glanced at us, I guessed that the young Jedi had decided to try his earlier trick after all, taking advantage of Holmes?s audacity. It worked?barely. Just before we reached the safety of the narrow gap between the building and it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.