main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan (the revised version)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Frostfyre, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Wonderful. Loved the interaction between Obi & Holmes. And loved Holmes' little 'payback' of Obi's 'wasn't sure that would work' with his diversion.

:D

2. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    My friend suddenly rose, moving from the concealing shadows and out into the middle of the street, his hands in his pockets, whistling a Mozart concerto.

Oh, so Holmes! Triffic, triffic, triffic! :D [face_laugh] :D

3. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    LOL! Holmes is just too much sometimes. ;)

Great job!

Sarah >^,,^<

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh my, I'd no idea how very far behind I've gotten here. Perhaps just quick notes of what really caught my attention in the posts...

I subsided, but determined to corner him later and, if necessary, beat him into providing me with an explanation. --Now that I'd like to see!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

?I will do what I can to verify that, Mr. Holmes, Obi-Wan. Our group leader will certainly want to hear of this. I have permission to call on you at Baker Street??
    Being a repeat reader here how could I not chuckle knowingly!! ;) ;)

"Don?t cross them, and don?t interfere when they tell you to back down.? --Lilith mentioned sensing a story behind this comment and I agree!!

I loved Mary's sudden appearance and Watson's concerns of being ribbed for days by Holmes!

I found myself desiring to meet the fellow who had trained the young man so well. And who wouldn't!! x: x:

"Somehow, I'm not surprised to discover that there are rats here just as there are on almost every planet in the galaxy. I don't suppose you have cockroaches as well?" --don't forget spiders... ewwww. Why must it be the creepy things.

?Well.? Mrs. Hudson folded her arms across her ample bosom. ?You just watch yourselves. I?ve got a bad feelin? about it.? --of course someone has to say that line. :D :D

Loved Holmes response to Ben's mind trick on the barkeep at the King's Legs!!

?I?m not going to ask for details on that,? Holmes said. ?I don?t think I want to hear your explanation.? --No, you wounldn't, would you! Don't really care for things you can't readily see. :D

Drats, I've already caught up... and I was so enjoying the numerous posts. Well... excellent as always Frostfyre!!

5. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Sorry, I missed a few posts.. I don't have much time right now but I wanted to say that I'm still reading, and still loving it! :D

You're doing a wonderful job, Frosty!

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Up. :) It's soooooo nice to have internet again. The withdrawal is a killer.

7. Sarah_K

Jun 10, 2001
    Up!

Sarah >^,,^<

8. technomage

technomage Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2000
    I've just finished reading both this and your older version, and I think that it's very good. It's not just one of the few good Earth/SW crossovers I've seen, but it has that special touch called originality.

Keep it up, please. Also, do you plan to do anything with your other story, Dark Enigma? That one caught my attention back in '01 and I've been wondering if it was ever going to continue since.

9. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Up yet again.

10. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Ooh how nice this story is! :D I'm so glad we see it once again :) Keep the lovely posts coming Frosty!

11. G2Jedi

G2Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    sorry to miss a few psots, but things are going on nicely. One request: can u make more of the scene where Mrs Hudson reveals herself?

12. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    Well, yes, I'd like to see more of Mrs. Hudson too.

13. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    That's some great posting that I've just caught up on. Great work, this story is so cool. And its even better than the first time, even though I have an idea of what is going on this time.

14. Frostfyre

Frostfyre Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 1999
    Sorry about the delay. I finally got a job, so have been busy.

The interior was poorly lit, and we could hear people moving around above us. For the moment, though, the entrance was deserted. ?How will you find your master?? I whispered to my companion.
    His head was tilted, as one listening. ?Now that we?re so close, I can get a very faint sense of him beyond whatever drug they?re using. Upstairs, on the second floor.?

?First floor,? I corrected absently. He glanced at me. ?This is the ground floor,? I explained. ?The next one up is the first floor.?

?Whatever. We?d better get out of sight, Doctor. Someone?s coming back.? He opened a door?I tensed, fearing someone would be on the other side, but the room was empty?and pulled me through.

?There?s only the one flight of stairs,? I hissed. ?How do you intend to get up without being seen??

?Creativity, Doctor Watson. Just keep your revolver pointed at that door in case anyone comes through.? He tugged a worm-eaten chair out a few feet from the wall and climbed up onto it, eyeing the ceiling determinedly. I obediently aimed my weapon, but kept an eye open to see just what it was Ben had in mind. I was certain it would be something as outlandish and bizarre as anything Holmes might come up with. Remembering the young man?s unusual origins, probably even more so.

I was not disappointed. He pressed the switch on the tube that Holmes had been so curious about, and a length of blue fire poured from the end of it. My mouth fell open. ?What is that??

?It?s called a lightsaber?a weapon that Jedi use. It?s?oh, I don?t know how to explain it to you.? He slowly pushed the?I hesitate to call it a blade, but could think of no other description?straight up, into the ceiling above. There was a flare of light, followed by the sharp smell of burning wood and dirt, and Ben began to cut a circle.

?Ah?aren?t you worried about starting a fire?? I asked, nervously eyeing the smoking wood.

?No. I?m channeling the heat into the whole ceiling. Smoke is the most it?s going to do?though you might want to be careful of the edges going up. They?ll be a little warm.?

What he meant by ?channeling? it, I?ve no idea, and wasn?t sure I wanted to know. I have long held disdain for the spiritualist groups springing up all over London who claimed to ?channel? spirits?but somehow, I don?t think that was the sort of channeling Ben had in mind. He had strange powers that even the most deluded of the spiritualists had never conceived of. Who knew what someone from a distant planet was capable of?

Completing the circle, Ben shut down his weapon and caught the freed piece of ceiling before it had fallen more than a few inches. As he climbed down from the chair, I saw that he was actually holding two circles?not only the ceiling in this room, but from the floor above. I was grateful that he hadn?t accidentally cut into a support beam. In this pathetic excuse for a building, who knows what might have happened. ?You first, Doctor,? Ben said, making a stirrup of his hands so I could climb up. I was a little dubious about it?though I was shorter, I knew I outweighed him?but he seemed to have strength as uncanny as the rest of him, and had no trouble pushing me up through the hole he?d made. A moment later, he shot straight up through it, to land lightly on his feet. I just shook my head, realizing that I was rapidly moving beyond surprise. On silent feet, he moved to the room?s door, the handle of his lightsaber held down at his side but not ignited.

Ben eased open the door far enough to allow me to poke my head and scan the hallway beyond. Pulling back, I glanced at him. ?There?s a guard posted at the fourth door,? I whispered.

He nodded. ?That?s almost certain to be the room then.? He opened the door again, sticking his head out. ?Sir?? he called, and I felt my heart lurch in shock. ?Could you come down here a moment??

I gaped at him, and heard pounding feet in the hallway. Ben pushed me back and moved to one side as the

15. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Qui-Gon rubbed his temples gingerly. ?I noticed,? he said with dry humour. ?And the hangover is worse than ten Corellian screwdrivers.?

Ben grinned, and I got the feeling that the reference was a private joke. ?There are no Council members here to catch us singing this time,? he replied.

[face_laugh] So funny! [face_laugh] Every time! [face_laugh]

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved Obi-Wan's answer of creativity to Watson's question of how he intended to get to the floor above without being seen and the way he calmly called the guard over only to knock him out cold! :D :D Of course my absolute fave part is the introduction of Qui-Gon, in fact the prerequisite powerfully built left my jaws aching from grinning! :D [face_love] :D [face_love] NOw of course, the small mention of hangovers and singing and being caught by the Council sounds like a story I would love to read too!!!

17. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Congratulations on your job! :)

I liked the mention of "creativity" as well, and the way that Watson was certain that it would be something as outlandish and bizarre as anything that Holmes could come up with.

I also liked the way that Holmes was trying to find explanations in his world for the new things from Obi-Wan's universe that he was seeing; blade and channelling, and things like that. I also liked the touch at the end, where he was comparing the situation to his time in Afghanistan.

I had to grin at the way Obi-Wan was explaining how drugs were preferable to what usually happened to them, because they didn't usually hurt.

Holmes is conspicuous by his absense, Qui-Gon can feel great danger even through his hangover, and it's way too quiet out there ... what will happen next? Can't wait to see!

18. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    And there I worried about your absence and was ready to ask if you were all right! Great news about the job: what is it? And wonderful scene, as usual. You can just feel Qui-Gon assessing Watson in an instant.

19. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I ment to start reading this earlier...but I ddin't :p However, I'm caught up now and I'm loving this story!

?And the hangover is worse than ten Corellian screwdrivers.?

Ben grinned, and I got the feeling that the reference was a private joke. ?There are no Council members here to catch us singing this time,?

[face_laugh] Hillarious!

20. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  21. Sarah_K

Jun 10, 2001
    Still laughing over the screwdrivers line... as it appears everyone else is. ;) I guess it's what it leaves to your imagination more than what it tells you!

And so Quiggy is with them! Yehaa, even if he can't help much currently. :)

Loved Watson's growing immunity to disbelief. After all this, I wouldn't be very practical either! :p

Sarah >^,,^<

22. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    The Corellian screwdrivers is a reference to an irreverent and hysterically funny humor piece written by Lwyn'nya Kenobi. You can find it at my site under the title Two Jedi Walk into a Bar...

23. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    What a great post, I love the last line :D The ultimate SW quote

24. DarthCuppa

DarthCuppa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    I love the way you refer to Watson's Afghan military experiences: too often he's reduced to being a comic sidekick. This story manages to be true to both Conan Doyle and Lucas!

25. Frostfyre

Frostfyre Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 1999
    Darth Cuppa, what is that quote you have from? It's funny!

I've always believed that too many people think of Watson as nothing but a post upon which Holmes sharpens his wit. Granted, the good doctor doesn't hold a candle to Holmes in the intelligence department (and maybe Watson isn't even a particularly brilliant man anyway), but I've always felt that too many authors out there treat him like a total idiot, forgetting that before Watson ever met Holmes, he served as a distinguished soldier, saved lives, and was (I believe) something of a hero.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes. ?There are about twenty men waiting outside in the foyer. I?m having some difficulty sensing them?it?s almost like someone is trying to block me.?

Ben was silent for a moment. ?I can?t sense anything at all, Master. Is it possible for twenty men in the same place to have natural shields? That seems a little coincidental.?

?It?s very unlikely. But I don?t recall anyone saying anything about our thief having Force-abilities.? The big man shook his head. ?But now is not the time to worry?we must concentrate on getting past that ambush.? He glanced around the room. ?No window, or I?d suggest that.?

I hesitated but decided I?d nothing to lose by speaking up. ?Couldn?t you just?cut through the wall, like Ben did the ceiling? I believe it should open onto the outside.?

The two Jedi stared at me silently for a moment, their expressions unreadable. Then Qui-Gon chuckled softly. ?Thank you, Doctor. You remind us that sometimes the simplest solution is the best.?

He suddenly reminded me a great deal of Holmes?and I abruptly recalled the danger my friend had placed himself in. ?Holmes!? I said. ?We must discover what has happened to him!?

?I can?t pinpoint where he is,? Ben said reassuringly, ?but he?s alive, and unhurt.? Not waiting to see my reaction to this, he turned his lightsaber on and began cutting through the wall. Qui-Gon watched him for a moment, then nodded curtly and turned his gaze to the door.

?Hurry it up, Obi-Wan. They?re getting suspicious out there.?

?Yes, Master Qui-Gon.? With a small flourish, the young man completed the cut and pushed at the smoking, man-sized hole he?d cut into the planks. There was a crash as both the inner and outer walls?and a few of the wall supports?fell into the alley beyond. ?After you, Master,? he said with a bow. ?Age before beauty.?

?You?re too kind,? Qui-Gon said sardonically. ?And you?ll regret that comment, Obi-Wan, the next time we spar.? He pulled his robes close around him as he stepped through, carefully avoiding the smoldering edges of the impromptu doorway.

Once we were in the smelly darkness of the alley, I helped Ben stuff the pieces of wall back into the hole to form a sort of barricade. ?It won?t hold them very long,? Ben said as we stepped back to admire it, ?especially if they have blasters.? Shouts from outside the alley turned our heads. ?Or they might just go out the front door instead,? he added.

He moved to the front as the first shadowy figures rounded the building?s corner and began firing their blasters. To my surprise, the shots rebounded off the glowing blade and were sent careening back into the mob, bringing cries of pain and fury. I fired a few shots of my own, felling two of our attackers.

?There?s more coming out,? Ben shouted over his shoulder. ?They?re trying to flank us?we have to get out of this alley before we?re trapped!?

Qui-Gon nodded curtly, then paused, narrowing his eyes at our attackers. ?A moment, Obi-Wan,? he said, and lifted a hand. One of the men gave a startled shout, stumbling forward, and I saw a small dark shape hurtle out of the darkness into the tall Jedi Master?s hand. It hissed, and green fire erupted from its end. ?Very good,? he said, clearly pleased. ?Someone thought they would have a trophy. Thank you kindly,? he called to the man, irony edging his deep voice. ?Come, Doctor.?

We began to run for the opposite end of the alley, Qui-G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.