Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

I don't care 15 vote(s) 17.2%
Hm, neat 37 vote(s) 42.5%
OMG COOPER IS MY HERO 35 vote(s) 40.2%
  1. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    It's the one series of Star Wars books I have no desire to ever read, and that counts GoDV. I'll look forward to your article Coop, I enjoy some of the discussion that comes up around FotJ. Considering that the alternative is going back to the variety of Disney rumor threads...
  2. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    Or the NJO thread! We can discuss meaningless hypothetical castings of the characters!
    [IMG]
    Last edited by DigitalMessiah, Dec 16, 2013
  3. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe LOTF was more focused, but I still thought FOTJ was better. Damning with faint praise, I know.
  4. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    They're both equally bad, but for slightly differing reasons.
  5. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
  6. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
  7. Ordo Skirata Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Too late. I have to say though, the book, and the series itself, wasn't as bad as I was expecting from reading about them here. They get off track from their original storyline of Ben and Luke on a journey (which I enjoyed) pretty fast and switch back to normal Jedi Vs. Sith war ( and Allana seemed just like a short adult). But I was expecting something along the lines of:
    Luke: Who's da bomb?
    Han: You da bomb!
    Last edited by Ordo Skirata, Dec 17, 2013
  8. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    We're having another confusingly big day for FB referrals. Any ideas?
  9. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Trevas posted it on his wall.
  10. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
  11. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    A statement which, of course, is subjective in itself.
    DigitalMessiah likes this.
  12. themetresgained Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    ... I've never seen this before and wow is that accurate. Jacen Solo indeed.
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Kinda wanted to post this article on the Diversity Thread since it comes directly from the Revelation "Jaina's hands" debate, but I thought I'd play it safe.
  14. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    I like it. There are far more ways for beings in the SW universe to "be at a disadvantage" than just "people in power are prejudiced" - and it's something that should be thought about.

It also makes the term "privilege" a bit clearer.
  15. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    It does a very good job in carefully walking through an armed minefield of concepts, linguistic and political.

I particularly like that Traviss' work is used simply to start things off for the article to then chart its own path, rather than focus on it.
    themetresgained and Iron_lord like this.
  16. themetresgained Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    "In the SkySolos’ case, the hole just happens to have lava under it once in a while."

I lol'ed.
    CooperTFN likes this.
  17. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2013/12/star-wars-and-genre-swashbuckling-adventure/

I fully agree with this article

I see Martin Freeman as Streen and Jeong "Rain" Ji-hoon as Kyp Durron
    Last edited by Gamiel, Jan 1, 2014
  18. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Seconded: this bit:

I’ve always thought that more could be done with Han Solo’s ancestors — the royal house of Corellia — and brash Corellian prince-admirals would seem perfectly suited to swashbuckling stories.

leads me to wonder just how a story of Corellia's Jonash e Solo's resolving the last Alsakan Conflict between Alsakan and Coruscant (by defeating both sides, and walking into the Republic Senate to dictate terms at swordpoint) could be made into a full-length novel, or even series.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Jan 1, 2014
    Darth_Henning and Gamiel like this.
  19. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    Jedi Path had comments written by Thame Cerulian about adventures that sounded very swashbuckling. In't have the book with me but that time period (c. 100 BBY) would be a good setting for Errol Flynn stories.
  20. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Yeah, I would absolutley love to see that. There's so much historical material out there that would make for great stories if Star Wars would branch a little farther away from the films, but that definitely stands out as a great potential swashbuckling war epic.
    The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Gorefiend, CooperTFN and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Very timely, given that Goodwin's up for the Aluminum Falcons Hall of Fame right now. Everybody should read that piece, and then they should read the Goodwin/Williamson strips. They're just that good. I can't praise those comics enough. Cannot. Praise them. Enough.
    jSarek likes this.
  23. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    I have read them up to the Ackbar/Snakes story (many many times), hopefully the whole series gets collected soon into Omnibuses so I can finally read the evacuation.
    When read in the original form as black-and-white strips Williamson's artwork is even better, but there's a lot of recollecting, especially on Saturdays when more people would miss the paper. Sometimes the story wouldn't continue at all but Williamson would draw a strip-long panel of the last image.
  24. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
  25. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Very neat use of a Galaxy Gun image Coop!
    CooperTFN likes this.