main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Highlight of my day: reading a summary of yesterday's article translated by Google back to English from the summarizer's original Russian.

Best part: "Episode VII Lucas wrote himself, not looking at anyone and anything"

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    CooperTFN likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A suggestion inspired by the latest pages on ACKBAR IS GONE, ALL HAIL SOCIAL FRED! - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0: Why not make a "What Star Wars Can Learn from the 'Disney Afternoon' series" article?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

Dante1120 likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I mean since much of the 'Disney Afternoon' series are traditional adventures that build on the same base as SW dose and many of them could with out problem turn into a SW adventure: f.ex. if they did a Han Solo series they could copy many of stories used in Tale Spin with not to many changes.

And if we trust the internet (and I admit that is stupid) the 'Disney Afternoon' series are highly beloved by many age groups, so they most have done something right

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, WSWCLF is more about holding something up as an exemplar of certain areas where SW is lacking--it's important not to get so loose with it that we're jut saying "look, this thing reminds me of SW".

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It was not exactly what I meant but than again I seems to have lost my original thought so you can just ignore me

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    spicer, CooperTFN and Iron_lord like this.
  9. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

Is Jar Jar Binks the Bonkers of Star Wars, or was Bonkers the Jar Jar Binks of the Disney afternoon?

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say that he is more Goofy, Bonkers is a loot more hyperactive while Jar-Jar and Goofy are more easy-going

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's a great piece. I hope against hope that you're wrong, Hav, but I guess time will tell how "good" the Disney purchase was. I mean hey, if those announced children's books for Rebels are any indication, they are keeping some of the established writers.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Yeah, when I was partway through writing it, I realized that the fundamental nature of the story was simply too absurd for effective analysis: you can't attempt to make a rational argument in the face of complete and utter irrationality. As it turned out, a straight summary proved to be more than sufficient at getting the point across. :p

Jedi Ben and RC-1991 like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    CooperTFN and Mia Mesharad like this.
  16. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    While I obviously agree with the complaint that the younger generation never got its chance with the torch because the movie characters had to be the main characters, I think the "when they were thirty" bit undermines the article with its bias. Didn't even see a point in reading properly after that and just glanced over the next points. Saying that Han had been more important at age 30 than Jacen or Jaina is... well, Anakin had probably done a greater amount of heroic stuff at 30, fact included that he was dead for almost half that time. Taking Zekk and Lowbacca into the mix? Well, what had secondary characters Chewie and Lando under their belts at age 30? Strike that. What is a 'talented smuggler'?

But it's interesting to see what's basically a case for "our heroes must have more galaxy-shattering adventures" in a "LOTF suxx lol" article.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Someone who can survive the hazards of smuggling for years, maybe.

18. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Eighty percent of success is showing up. Didn't know that this was out of the ordinary in SW, though, with smuggler being one of three or four career options if you're not going into government work or one of the chosen few.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think your complaints are misdirected Grey!

20. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    How's that?

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Easy, I'm not the author of the piece! Therefore I can't tell you why LIT focused it as he did.

For me, the comparison of characters at the same ages makes the point about just how much inhibition was placed on the next generation and asks the question why, that then leads into asking the wider question of why stories like DN and LOTF took the form they did at all and the likely answers aren't pretty.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think the point isn't accomplishment so much as position. Han, Luke, and Leia were independent characters, with full agency and a legacy of accomplishments, who had been having adventures as main characters for a long time. Whereas the Solo kids, at the time their parents were leading story after story, running the galaxy and driving the narrative, are dead, dead, and a supporting hero in a war who then regressed to having to have her parents save her and then was largely ignored by the next series until they realized she was the only major character between 18 and 50 who was going to survive it and they had her kill her brother. It's not about who blew up the bigger superweapon as much as the fact that the Big Three, in their thirties, were fully adult leading characters. The next generation, even with Jaina pushing forty, has never graduated beyond being sidekicks. And outside the NJO, usually pretty pathetically-treated sidekicks.

23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think Jacen was the hero of the NJO, whether folks want to admit it or not, and Jaina had as big a role as her parents and uncle Luke.

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No kidding, only for Denning to come along and squander any opportunity for the torch to finally be passed. No, instead Denning just led Del Rey down the path of wasting twenty-two books and to bring down the other three books from the Legacy era.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, over the course of time. I think the only misstep was that they didn't really find something for her to do in the finale. Jacen had his moment, Luke had his moment, Han and Leia contributed certain things, but Jaina's arc didn't seem to build to anything distinct. Had she and Jag been flying and blown up the Alpha Red ship, or taken out Choka and helped force the surrender, or anything, I think it would have been better than having her be the third wheel in the throne room showdown.

But, yeah, maybe "ensemble hero" would have been better than "supporting." But the point is, the highest point she ever reached was "kid taking her place in the ensemble," and she was immediately regressed to a definitive supporting player -- "person who holds down the irrelevant side plots or plays sidekick to Luke or her parents" -- and her character arc annihilated. As an adult approaching middle age, she's more of a sidekick to her parents and uncle than she was as a teen. It's perverse.

DigitalMessiah likes this.