main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Having been in enough heated discussions about characters, including Mara, on this board, I'm not overly surprised. And I think when people treat a character fandom like politics or religion, they may be just a tad too invested in a fictional universe. We're all here because we love Star Wars but it has to be miserable for people getting that worked up.

That said, I'd be bored as hell if everyone agreed with me all the time and I welcome good rational and respectful dissent.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What I think is a shame is that the comments turned into being about Mara in general, rather than staying on the specifics of the article - namely how her general MO would, or rather, would not, work in a relationship.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting but I have no drive to read Shatterpoint.

5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    So, when are the new "Legends" armbands coming? I really want that to be a thing!

Unless armbands are a faux pas since the Nazis? I really don't keep up with that sort of stuff. We can do lapel pins.... :D

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I want to make headbands for SDCC. More visible.

7. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Re: Shatterpoint, I read it but I just couldn't really get into it for some reason. It was quite disappointing, since I was so enamoured with Stover in Traitor.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  9. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I don't know, should I try it again?

This is like Catch-22 all over again.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  11. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Take a bow, Cooper.

12. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I just put mine on. I do believe I look quite fetching. Now we match. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [:D]

So meanwhile, in ETE news that was actually planned before the reboot, this Friday I'm announcing on the site that I'll officially be starting an open submissions process. There'll be a whole new page on the site about it, and all the attendant deets, but because I love you people and I want to try and keep us as Lit-based as possible, you guys get a head start. Short version:
    • proposals can be for standard op-eds (800 words minimum) or features (1500 words minimum). Recurring series are rare but not out of the question.
    • there are limited open spots on our schedule so even an accepted proposal might not get published right away--meaning turnaround time is usually pretty flexible.
    • proposals can be PMed (or e-mailed) to me and should only be a short paragraph or so explaining your premise and tone, which I reserve the right to accept as-is or with suggested tweaks.
    • on that note--tone is EVERYTHING. I'm far more likely to say no to something with the wrong tone that something on a weird or tangential topic. Everything you need to know is in the tagline in my sig, but reading the "What?" and "Why? sections of our About the Site page wouldn't hurt either.
    • if something you've written gets accepted, you must give me a plausible human name to go with it, though pseudonyms are acceptable since it's not like I can really verify that anyway. When I say "plausible", I mean "more realistic than 'Lucas Jackson'".

14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Getting other people to do your job for you? Well, I better start writing down 1500 words of puns.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The accepted phrasing is "Editor-in-Chief".

jSarek and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'll have you know it's completely plausible that my name is Lucas Jackson. It's not, but it's plausible!

It's worth giving it a try, I guess.

s65horsey and CooperTFN like this.
  17. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Much excite! I already kind of write for a living so really it's only a small leap from that to putting my Star Wars feels into something that's readable by other people.

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2014/04/a-case-for-starting-over-part-vi-happily-ever-after/

Fully agree on this

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, I got plenty of Luke with a beard in The Star Wars. ;)

[​IMG]

11.jpg

20. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Das Reboot (yes, it is a great title) was a good read, nice to see not everyone is entirely in arms and weeping about the whole thing. Only half! And that's half of a sample of hardcore EU fans so that's not bad at all!

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    my thoughts exactly.
    perhaps better suited to the Diversity thread (though the regular posters in both threads overlap quite a bit...)

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    On Lando,

Disney does seem to be right on top of this, giving him the billing he deserves?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    oh lol I kind of love the sarcastic Legends banner at the top of ETE. Fitting, since we mostly talk EU.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...that's been there for four days. [face_waiting]