main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Happy one year anniversary to Eleven-ThirtyEight! I'm far from the only one who thinks that ETE provides some of the best, creative, most in-depth coverage of SW out there. I know this anniversary is just the first of many! Congrats!

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, yeah, also that. [face_flag]

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Hm, neat.

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's all I ask.

Though the occasional Reddit post doesn't hurt.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  7. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    That guy is still around? I thought I beat him in 2002!

[​IMG]

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked the observation in Cynical_Ben piece about how Ashoka being turned on by the Jedi, asked to come back, and then walking away from it all actually increased Anakin's mistrust in the Jedi Council. And it was a masterminding step that turned Anakin towards the Dark Side without Palpatine behind it all for once (well, as in every single step).

Iron_lord and Cynical_Ben like this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    not clicking it now

you overplayed your hand

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  10. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    [face_sigh]

11. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Yes! This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    anguirus2003 likes this.
  13. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Re: the bold, THANK YOU. It had to be said, even if many won't understand what it means.

That article (thanks, E-TE and Rocky Blonshine) is what brought me to this thread in the first place. Yesterday, while searching with virtually no success to find a Star Wars article that features a LGBT topic that doesn't concern SWTOR and the 'gay planet,' I finally found something of note. =D=

I also found a thread on tf.n, one concerning the possibility of a non-heterosexual character in Ep. 7, and the resulting discussion was...disappointing (and occasionally offensive). So, back to themetresgained, thank you for introducing an article that might lead to a more positive discussion!

"Now, I am not alone." Indeed you are not, and neither am I.

anguirus2003 and CooperTFN like this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    cwustudent likes this.
  15. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So I just stumbled upon a Twitter exchange involving someone who was still under the impression that the anti-alien Empire was an EU thing and no longer canon--and I got the idea to start doing a regular thing where I point out an item from the EU that made it into the new film canon. I thought this thread would be a good place to workshop a good hashtag--anyone want to pitch in? Some rough ideas:

#FromEUtoCanon
    #ItsCanonNow
    #EUPurgeSurvivors

I want the tweets themselves to just list the item in question so the hashtag has to make it clear what I'm doing, f.e. "Victory-class Star Destroyers #FromEUtoCanon".

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    #HesDuros

Ain't I a stinker? :p

18. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I really do like #EUPurgeSurvivors :p

spicer likes this.
  19. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    (sorry for the double post, but I thought you guys might enjoy this)

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Wait there is a new Ghoster Rider?! Oh might have to hunt that down.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Speaking of which, Ben, you're always welcome to highlight your stuff in here. I try to save it for special occasions myself.

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I didn't participate(well post on facebook) in the #giveuslegends day because I was concerned that it could break down into something as silly as the Jar Jar photo you posted.

To my surprise, when I did look at the page I found a fairly focused bunch of posts, all saying #giveuslegends and little more. In that respect the "event" was actually quite tame and respectful. What you linked to in your article was not that.

What your specifically referencing is the response from Star Wars Books to the #giveuslegends event, where some people(as you linked in the article) were unkind, to say the least. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but to me this second incident you point towards isn't actually tied that closely to #giveuslegends, even if it is due to a response that the page made to the event.

By and large the #giveuslegends event looked like this. A bit of civil disobedience, yes, but not exclusively what you are claiming it to be.

[​IMG]

We also got this awesome little quote from the Star Wars Book page:

The folks running that page seem to feel that the book were never a part of canon previous to now, which I found interesting. :p

I'm really not even sure what this means. Are other people, who have opinions that don't agree with your own, bringing down your ability to enjoy these new books because they are upset that we are never going to see a Jaina Solo story again? (hypothetically anyway, that could of course change). How is anyone not liking the direction the franchise has gone keeping others from treating the new books with the credibility it deserves? Or does it just deserve credibility automatically because it says Star Wars on the cover?

I think fans should be encouraged to vocalize what they want as consumers and sites like facebook & twitter give them the opportunity to do just that. If LFL/Disney does eventually decide to revisit the legends universe these types of events could be looked back on as the catalyst for that happening.

You can be over it all you want, that doesn't change my views one little bit.