main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Even this otherwise friendly and calm Mon Cal admiral can only tolerate so much complaining about something that will NEVER change.

Funny you mention that. GrandAdmiralJello and I were discussing this a few weeks ago. And I honestly am leaning towards not buying it. And, to be fair, I don't have an issue buying Legends materials. The key difference is that I don't care that they are Legends. If the book has cool art and a fun story, I will consider buying. Otherwise, I will most likely pass.

--Adm. Nick

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    That is just guess work though. You don't know for sure that it will never change.

In my hometown our NHL Hockey team departed in 1994 or so. For years fans here(Winnipeg) were as loud as they could be about it - the commissioner of the NHL fielded questions about it regularly for a long, long time.

Then local business men popped up with a plan and deep pockets, sold out the arena in advance for half a decade and the NHL allowed a team to be purchased and relocated here some 15 years after it had left never to return.

Not an exact comparison, but you get the idea. If the fans here hadn't kept reminding Gary Bettman for years and years about how much we wanted a team back I wonder if we actually would have ever seen the NHL again?

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Let me put it this way, what am I supposed to do, buy into the vague promises of the ST?

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    :( You're not jumping ship on FFG too, are you?

6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    *reads article*

Holy hell.

The sheer insane hatred isn't what surprised me. The fact that they actually think they're a loud voice with a chance of accomplishing their goal and that they think they represent more than .05% of Star Wars fans is what blows me away. That's Darth Vader-level delusion.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    No, I'm not.

Let me clarify my views. Will I still buy Legends material like the FFG sourcebooks or the Imperial Handbook? In many cases, yes. I enjoy the stuff, it has great art, and much of the lore established is fun to read.

But, do I care that this stuff is now not considered canon? No, I don't. I understand why Disney and LFL made the decision and I fully support it. I understand that some EU fans are upset, but at one point folks have to get over it, move on, and get on with their lives.

--Adam. Nick

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Honestly, it's a group of around 8,000 or so (I'm assuming that a lot are cross-populating the various groups they pulled from) in a fandom that's numbered in the millions. I'm not a math major, but even assuming that there are only one million Star Wars fans worldwide, the Give Us Legends people are still only .008% of the entire fandom. The number is probably a lot lower than that if you just pull the most vocal and vehement posters and "protestors" from the various fan pages and purge a few (of what I assume by looking at the usernames to be) duplicate accounts. Vocal minority is one thing, but, yeah.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    To me it isn't really about comparisons to the overall fanbase. Yes, 6.5 million people tuned in to watch Rebel's worldwide(great number) - but how many of those people actually spend money on a monthly basis on Star Wars? The #giveuslegends folks likely make up a much larger percentage than .008 of people who are spending money on the franchise in a regular fashion..

Just thinking of my own group of friends, pretty much all of them are Star Wars fans - but only a very small percentage of them actually spend money on the franchise with any regularity. Sure, they will go watch the new film, but past that there won't be much more going out of pocket for most of them, never mind going out of pocket multiple times on a monthly basis.

Once this whole Disney thing is up and running and we get to see full stats on comic sales, book sales, toy sales, all that kind of stuff we will have a much more accurate view of comparing the past to the present.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...anged-since-the-disney-announcement.50021364/

Just look at this topic. Of the voters, 48 people had changed their habits and were buying less(more than half the total voters). It is far from scientific of course, but it is an indication. Even if it is only the 13% that indicate they will not buy the new stuff, that is significantly higher than .008.

That is the primary thing Disney needs to be concerned with - the people that spend money on their franchise. Like I say the 6.5 million people that watched Rebel's is a nice number, but if only .5 million of the viewers spend regular money beyond paying a cable bill, those are the people they need to be concerned with.

10. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    You know that tie-in fiction only accounts for like 12% of the revenue from Star Wars, right?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How does that compare with other notable franchises?

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

That is still 12% plus a lot of these people were also the ones that would buy stuff like the action figures and other collectibles.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

EU readers buying actions figures--even the wealthy collectors--are a drop in the bucket of SW's toy market. If anything, if we're going to make bottom-line arguments, what Disney should really be paying attention to are the people asking for more Sabine and Hera merch.

Oh, hey, speaking of collectors.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  14. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Hasbro went on the record during TCW saying that female action figures are not in heavy demand in the boys toy market based on the characters that they did produce not selling well. If anything the collectors will be the ones buying the Sabine & Hera figures.(Note no Satine, no Bo Katan, no Mother Talzin(we did get the Sith Witch pack at least) - not much past Ahsoka, and even surprisingly few of her. In girls toy lines like Monster High & Barbie, it is the boy characters that don't sell as well, thus fewer of them get produced.

But that is really a completely different conversation.

That aside, tie in merch for Rebel's will be a huge part of LFL's revenue streams going forward(at least until the film comes out) - but it will still come back to maybe one out of every ten people, or one out of every 20 people that tune in to the TV show that will actually end up spending money on the franchise.

More current numbers I googled are these:

15 Billions toys
    4.7 Billion Video Games
    4.5 Billion Box Office
    4.3 Billion DVD
    2.0 Billion Books
    1.3 Billion Other

Point being, like 72% of their revenue comes from beyond movie tickets and DVD purchases - but DVD purchases would rank in that smaller percentage of fans spending money anyway.

However this plays out Disney is going to make money, but if I was in business I'd sit up and pay attention when a facebook page dedicated to an issue with my product gains over 10,000 likes in a relatively short amount of time. Just to compare, TF.N facebook page has almost 9000 likes. Unless you want to pay unsavory people for them, it actually isn't that easy getting facebook likes from people for a movement or company.

Simply put, I think it is something they should pay attention to business wise. Yes, we can sit around the internet and say that Disney doesn't care about these 100's of millions of dollars in potential revenue that they might be losing, but that is a slippery slope for a business. We have talked on this forum before about stuff like New Coke, and its failure. I don't think this ends up like that but it is an example that even the largest companies can make pretty big mistakes.

Nom von Anor and Ordo Skirata like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's kind of mind-boggling, this reaction. Are these LOTF fans or something? Like, who really wants these stories to continue?

And I don't say this to belittle them or anything, I'm just surprised. Most of the EU fan circles I run in (outside of Lit) were worn out by the last decade of novels. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since those books were apparently best sellers, but somehow facebook activism seems more "real" than statistics on a list.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The best part, based on Eric's piece, is how many of them embrace Starkiller as their mascot. To these people, the stuff most of us roll our eyes at is the EU.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Dark Horse already did and it was rather good, if they were at least advocating that they are missing the Dark Horse stuff but as it is, it is really just head scratching.[face_dunno]

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Something similar took off (albeit much more primitively - Social Media hadn't been invented) when Original Trek was cancelled --- and look at the firestorm that seems to have been generated by Mass Effect 3. Not to mention R A Salvatore's experience after Vector Prime.

I, for one, do still want to read stories featuring Jaden, Kyle, Kyp, Corran, Saba, Tekli, Tahiri, Jaina, Ben, Valin, Jysella, Cilghal and all the rest of the established NJO crew - also Vestara.

Partly because they are characters I'm familiar with and have followed for years (in some cases from fictional-birth) but also because I out-and-out prefer prose (the meatier the better) over film; no matter how slick, glitzy or full of lens-flare the movie is.

Today's movies are really only usually CGI eye-candy, aren't they? Books are a one-purchase investment for twenty to thirty years - no re-read limit.

Early reports about the first Rebels episode (from level-headed folks on these boards) seem to be on the not too positive side.

Robimus, Ordo Skirata and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have you seen this thread?
    Easy, he is at Sandiego's

20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    One of the main issues with overuse of CGI is that the actors have nothing to respond to other than empty air and a green screen, so unless you're using very small actors, this is true of miniatures as well. Making miniatures of buildings, cities, spaceships, or backgrounds makes sense, but making miniatures of hallways kind of misses the point.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tim:

-- who's giving the negative reviews of Rebels in Lit? Response to the movie and first episode has been overwhelmingly positive.

-- having journeyed with these characters for years is exactly why I hated the novels of the last decade. They ruined them long before the non-canon announcement did, to the point that the lack of future stories is irrelevant. At least, that's the perspective I was saying that I had thought was commonplace.

-- I prefer prose to movies as well, that's why I'm here. But the question I had was -- did people really prefer the latest EU novels to a fresh start free from the messes? I miss the continuity but that, at least, is coming back.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Needs more Bel Iblis. There, I said it.

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I was basically only interested in seeing of the post-RotJ EU how they connect to the Legacy comic series. I would still read stuff published in the Legends universe.

Basically I want closure. I have no problem with closing it off, just please please please give us a solid endpoint.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Dupple posten, whatever

Crucible was not a good endpoint because Denning didn't know that's what it was going to be, but if Sword of the Jedi would have gotten us to the point where you could clearly demarcate that what came next along the years would be Legacy, I'd be fine with that.

But there are also a bunch of loose ends in the Legends universe so it could never be wrapped up with one thing but still

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. Crucible is not that endpoint. The Unifying Force is the perfect end point for the Big 3 but would like to see the remaining 80 years to Legacy covered.
    Zayne has more stories, Kerra Holt has more stories, the Dark Times comic crew has more stories, Quinlan Vos, Syal, Myri, Valin, Seha, Jysella, the whole Legacy comic crew etc.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.