main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Not in Lit.

Not my perspective, or that of others (inside and outside these boards) or so it seems like.

I had, and have, no problem with them. Quite a lot of interesting new plotlines were opening up, in my view. I quite enjoyed FotJ, was looking forward to 'Sword'.

Disneyfied-EU will probably take decades to re-build the lost continuity, it'll likely have to wait to see if film-makers want additional 'creative freedom' before continuity is locked in place.

Anyway, just how many DEU books are they planning to publish per year?

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    lol I'd hate to be misrepresented because I actually like most of Denning's stuff. But I understand that's a minority opinion round these parts.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was looking forward to SOTJ and finding out what the bloody Kemp duology was about. The Post NJO book era was one of the worst era's in SW but it had some good plot ideas.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I'll take prequel copying over copy paste warlords/superweapons of the post-RotJ Bantam days, and I also like how Del Rey's stuff was able to take from all that still.

6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    But at least in The warlord of he week era Luke, Han and Leia were actually recognizable as themselves.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  7. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I think there are arguments on either side, and most of mine is that if Luke Han and Leia were the same characters after 25 years then something has gone terribly wrong

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Big 3 probably have changed greatly over the years but Luke saying "Compassion is for those who deserve it" isn't realistic imo.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  9. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    He's getting up there dude. Old people can be mean sometimes.

I like that in Invincible Luke basically took on a Palpatine-esque role to take down Caedus. That's really neat to me.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    "Get off my lawn!" *Force Push*

Revanfan1 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's so damn irritating that Crucible eclipses books like Kenobi in the popular perception of the EU-that-was.

There really were 2 DRs - the one that put out the god-awful, interminable Denningverse stuff and then, while that lot were doing that, the other DR was issuing Shatterpoint, Mindor, Knight Errant and Darth Plagueis to name but 4.

Vthuil, Dawud786, TheRedBlade and 8 others like this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah I was thinking mean Clint Eastwood type thing. Get off my lawn works very well

[​IMG]

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Point I suppose. Just seems way too far imo. Luke in Invincible I can buy. That was awesome.

^:)^=D=. The post NJO stuff was bad but not the rest of the of the stuff.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Character development does not equal making them act so out of character that Zahn's An Apology seems like the most plausible explanation for it.

15. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Aren't you the guy who's writing a long profile of how exactly the worst butchery of a character change somehow could make sense?

IMO there's no major problem in most of these boooks that makes the characterization so bad I can't read it. Personally, I just don't really see the problem. Whereas in the second episode of TCW's Ahsoka Accused arc when I figured out Barriss was behind it I couldn't take any of the rest of it seriously. You've done a really great job of breaking down those episodes and putting them under a microscope, but I think you're giving the writer of that episode way too much credit if the suggestion is that any of it was implied or expected to be understood from the episodes. I think the key points you laid out at the beginning is basically all that the writers took into account when choosing Barriss.

I think if a bit of that hard-core analysis of character motivations and events could be applied to many of the 'mischaracterizations' in the Star Wars EU, there could easily be any explanations found. I just don't find it to be that big of an issue personally.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    :(

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do other see a red X?

19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I see an empty white square. Is this one of those psychology things?

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Eh, that website is weird. Here.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah that Starkiller has fans is another thing that confuses me. I seriously have this mirror universe feeling right now and it's damned weird.

Not that fandom is ever unified, but I thought there were some universal constants. Like everybody thinking Daala is the worst. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    :(

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't completely hate Daala, I just think making her the Chief of State was one of the stupidest ideas in the history of stupid ideas, though I also don't like her being incompetent either.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  24. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I think that one might actually take the title of Stupidest Thing in the Entire EU.

Who in their right mind looks at Daala and says "Let's make her the leader of the good guys"?

25. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Del Ray and Denning, apparently.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.