main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I did like the Anakin Solo Star Destroyer name for two reasons: it was one last-ditch attempt to give Jacen some humanity (and IMO, it worked better than pretty much anything else he did in the series), and Han/Leia/Jaina's reaction of disgust toward it.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And then hated him in the last couple books. :rolleyes:
    Though, the last point. Truth.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, after travelling back in time with Tahiri multiple times didn't he basically think that he hated Anakin and never knew why he was sad the sniveling brat died? Another blow to Traitor, and its depiction of Jacen. [face_plain]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Something like that.

5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    It almost makes sense though. At the beginning of the series, even as he was travelling down the road to the dark side, he still had his humanity, but even though he thought he could control his descent into darkness, and retain his goodness, the more dark he became the more he disassociated himself with Jacen and became Caedus. If it weren't for how much it conflicted with NJO, it might be a compelling arc.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. Very good point. Keep him alive though. I'd like to see the fallout of that.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Bombing Kashyyyk with a Star Destroyer named the Anakin Solo is basically his best Sith moment.

CooperTFN likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I wanted to spark a discussion - job done!

CooperTFN and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You monster! [face_devil]:p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why, it's all perfectly civil, it's not become a bar brawl or...

[​IMG]

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Am I the only one who still wonders why there's a NASA astronaut in there?

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That is crazy. Watched the movies dozens of times and still find new things in them.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ben's next ETE article: Why Kyle Katarn is Overrated.

14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Come again?

[​IMG]

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This article is decent, but the title is some of my finest work.

16. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    I think travel times generally fall into the category of details you don't want to bring up much and you don't want the audience looking too carefully at. I'd assume the NU will got + or - 1000 years at some point and most detailed systems will fall flat on their face.

I mean I suppose you could go all timey wimey and say that when traveling thru hyperspace you travel thru time and space. Thus, while very little time has occurred for you depending upon the distance, tech you posses, traffic level of hyperspace, objects in the way, potential improvements to the hyper lane, potential disruptions, acts of force power, pollution, and disposition of time.

Thus, you could technically have a system for travel that doesn't require you to have large amounts of ship based facilities that will cause travel to take time and you also could monkey around with the system to provide whatever results you'd want.

For most people backwater planets will be just that because while you can technically reach them in very little time for you it could add up to a substantial amount of time away from your world and the people you cared about. Let's say for every 5 days of travel time you experience one hour of time passing. Let's suppose you work 40 hours a week for 52 weeks 1/2 the time is spent flying and 1/2 is spent unloading. During that time everyone you cared about is now 14 years older.

To minimize the number of long term time traveler's you'd probably want to ensure that anything that takes longer than 6 months will shred any common ship 99% of the time. Otherwise you'd have criminals use it to dodge the statue of limitations along with people with diseases that are at the present incurable.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I miss Bosbit Matarcher.

But I sort of agree with your first statement--I think the ideal scenario is to have enough hard details that it can be a story element without having so many that it's a story obstacle. I can think of a lot of ways that multi-day hyperspace voyages could lead to interesting storytelling, but it should be something that writers are able to use if they want without forcing everyone to account for them all the time.

Kylun likes this.
  18. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    And while the diversity thread takes another welcome field trip to ETE...
    THE EMPIRE IS NIGHT AND DAY ON ALL FRONTS!
    (or something :p )

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going to have to leave a comment on that post when I get home, I only have a few minutes now--at which time I'll just say that the Empire is not where I expected to find diversity, and I find myself pleasantly surprised.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, the phrasing of that sentence was not an accident.

cthugha likes this.
  21. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    I explicitly remember getting out a calculator at a specific part in Heir to the Empire the first time I read it to try and calculate how quickly different ships could go through hyperspace. Yeah I was that type of kid.
    Personally I'd prefer slightly longer hyperspace times (maybe a day or two from the core to the rim) but above all it should be consistent and make sense.

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's that time again--anyone have any idea why today's piece is getting a bunch of FB referrals?

23. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    I think for a lot of that stuff you hit the issue of looks being a benefit and a curse.

My Darth Malgus statue from my SWTOR collection edition is off sitting in a corner facing the wall because I think he's hideous. Sure, I liked parts of his character at times but not anywhere near enough to make up for how bad he looks and I'm the only one that sees him.

But, on the other hand, I think if I'm being honest many of the characters I like or dislike that are female come down to looks/voice acting rather than actual depth. If you traded Bastila and Juhani's looks and voice actor I suspect most of my characters would stop killing Juhani and start killing Bastila.

Roughly the same thing rings true for most of KOTOR II's female characters. Take away the looks and humor from Visas, Mira, and the Handmaiden and their isn't much left.

Sure, you've got exceptions like Kreia, Vash, Atris, or Terna in KOTOR II that one might actually like or relate to for other reasons than visuals but, I'm not sure I'd actually want any of them on a T-Shirt due to the joy of explaining why if someone asked.

Part of this is because ultimately we like humor and visuals a lot.

GOTO is arguably far more interesting than HK as a droid but because of his visual design and lack of humor compared to HK he is quite unpopular.

Characters in suits of armor can avoid that for the most part. As lots of good looking suits of armor exist. If someone doesn't know who the character is I just need to explain a suit of armor. I don't need to go into that much detail. Suits of armor have easier and more even appeal than the visuals of individuals.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something I hope the NEU don't do that the old EU did is to have to much of the galaxy explored rather early in its history.

spicer likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I left a few ramblings a day later than I had planned.

CooperTFN likes this.