main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I always correct RC's Latin so I have to do it to it to you too.

Your subject is plural so you need a plural verb: sunt. Secondly, super is an adverb in classical usage -- though it later appears as an adjective, in both cases, it means over or above and does not carry the transferred sense as it does in English.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
  3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well I'll just wait until you write anything in Finnish and then I'll point out that "in our cars too" is translated "autoissammekin", not "autossammekin".

cthugha likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    RC -- I played that scene to my Latin clas and my professor said "you wish I were that nice". My professor reduced a classmate -- and a JCer --- to tears! That's strictness.

She also always taunted us at being so inept at "baby Latin" (this was how she described Ovid and Catullus, being what she learned on grade school).

Lugija -- could be worse. Could be Welsh.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    See, this is why I stick with Quenya and Sindarin.

I'm kidding, of course. Tolkien debates, especially about language, puts SW debate standards like SSDs and the GAR numbers to shame. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am interested in learning so many languages, including Latin, Mando'a, Quenya, and Sindarin, its ridiculous.

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Learn a complex real language first. You don't know how much my language acquisition skills have improved after learning Latin. Picking up random Dothraki or Valyrian grammar (and they're legit conlangs) was so much easier as a result.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, all I know are a few Latin phrases, such as Deus ex machina and Si vis pacem, para bellum, but actually speaking Latin would take a lot of work.

I am also familiar with the Greek phrase Axios! thanks to Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, which had the Corbulo Academy of Military Science, an officer training academy on Circinius IV, as a namesake of Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo, which had students utilize Axios! to honor General Corbulo, since they were said to be his last words.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I owe all my latin to Aaron Sorkin--quo vadimus, and post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Asterix FTW.

[​IMG]

Gorefiend and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While I'm not a fan, it's hard to beat:

Cogito Ergo Sum

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I knew that one prior to Sorkin. ;)

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Used to be articles such as these would get threads here on TF.N that encouraged members of this forum to join in the discussion, to agree or disagree with the article being presented.

Now we are getting these great ideas for discussion, like Havac's recent article, and being encouraged to discuss them offsite. Anyone of those articles would make for a great discussion thread here on TF.N - and are frankly much better than anything we have had here in a long while.

Any reason for that?

For instance, if Cooper had come up with the Ignornace is Bias topic now I think it would be on his site, and not this one. I suspect that this approach will be a longterm loss for the community here.

15. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I disagree. Re-reading the Ignorance is Bias OP on 1138 actually made it fairly obvious to me that some issues and thoughts are better suited for articles (followed by a few comments), while others clearly belong here. Ignorance is Bias belongs here. But if someone posted something like "Politics and the Expanded Universe (part 1)" here, I would probably think "wall of text... what is this guy doing here lecturing us instead of starting a discussion". Well, maybe something not quite as negative as that, but you get the drift.

By the way I'm really impressed by the number and frequency of excellent articles you guys keep putting up. Definitely helps with my daily dose of procrastination.

That's what I grew up on! I remember spending guilty nights using my father's dial-up modem to deduce the rules of Khuzdul from the few examples we had... :-B

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'd very much like for the site to jump-start discussions here, and vice-versa, but being that we're--technically--competitors to TFN proper, I think it's probably better to fold ETE reactions into existing threads when relevant (to say nothing of just commenting on the site itself) rather than take up half the Lit forum with content from another site.

And the Diversity Thread, for the record, was always intended to be just that--a discussion thread. It's probably something that will come up on ETE here and there, but the goal of the existing thread is to foster a conversation.

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Fairly accurate, I'd say. There's having something to say, and then there's having something to discuss. I could write a thousand things on how something should be, could be, or might be improved, but none of those things are truly conducive to the kind of ongoing discussions we have here.

cthugha likes this.
  18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I dunno, I think something like Havac's most recent entry there would make for excellent discussion here. I certainly disagree with a couple of the examples he gave of cookiee cutter Jedi.

And no, I'm not going to discuss it in this thread. I just thought it would be nice to have such a diuscussion on TF.N.

Interesting that not that long ago I had my sig edited for mentioning a site that was deemed "competition" for TF.N. Times they are a changing.;)

Just out of curiousity, do both Imperial Loyalist & cthugha contribute content for 1138?

Esg likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I already have one Imperial loyalist, but assuming you mean The Loyal Imperial, no. :p Though he's certainly in the running for most-frequent commenter.

Incidentally, you can see our entire current roster right here. Additions are always possible going forward, of course, but there are only so many slots to fill on the schedule--there are way more people here I'd theoretically be interested in working with than the site could really sustain at once. Though I'd point out that TFN is hiring.

20. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Now didn't he just tell me about having something to say, or having something to discuss? I guess frequent commenting is different than discussing :p

I was curious who all was onboard. And nice job on the very diplomatic answer. Political office might be in your future.

I think you will have much more luck recruiting than they are going to have.;)

21. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I don't -- I'm just a fan :)

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Meant to be more of an example of why I wouldn't (and don't) say it here than to imply I was saying it elsewhere.

That aside, many Bothans died to bring you this article.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, ElevenThirtyAte.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Had to do what I had to do.