main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Kaitlyn Vehn
    One Week Before the Skywalker Conference Final
    New Vertica, Nar Shaddaa

“I have a favor to ask of you,” Kaitlyn said to Shay Dionne, the Smugglers’ Head Scout.

“Anything, boss,” Shay replied.

“Would you be willing to take…” Kaitlyn never got a chance to finish as a knock sounded at the door.

“Come in,” Kaitlyn said.

Meredith Chambers-Vayne poked her head into the office and asked, “Is now a bad time?”

Kaitlyn shook her head. “Shay and I were just wrapping up our scouting reports for the day. Shay, I’ll take a raincheck on that favor.”

“You got it,” Shay replied and then gave Meredith a smile before leaving the room.

“What’s on your mind, Meredith? Why aren’t you with the team helping them prepare for the Storm?” Kaitlyn asked.

“No practice today, boss,” Meredith replied.

“Right, middle of the week,” Kaitlyn said in a very distracted way.

Meredith sat down across from Kaitlyn and waited until her boss gave her the undivided attention she deserved.

“I know you have something to say, Chambers, so say it,” Kaitlyn said in a tired tone as she leaned back in her plush office chair.

“I wanted to thank you for letting me interview for the head coaching vacancy on Hapes,” Meredith said.

Kaitlyn leaned forward and said, “Everyone deserves an opportunity to coach their own team.”

“You think so?”

“Well, if you’re really asking if I want you to go and coach for Hapes, I don’t. You’re a very talented defensive coordinator and before that you were one of the best I’ve ever seen play the box. But I recognize that we all need new opportunities in life and if Hapes is going to provide that for you, well, I couldn’t prevent you from interviewing. How did you think the interview went?”

“Very well,” Meredith replied and then showed a brief moment of weakness, “they, uh, they offered me the head coaching position.”

“As I suspected they would,” Kaitlyn said as she clasped her hands together. “ They called me you know. Wanted a reference. I gave them a glowing one. So what do you want to do?”

“I love the Smugglers, Kaitlyn. I will always bleed burgundy and black. This entire organization has done so much for me, fulfilled my dreams like nothing else in the galaxy. Nothing can take that away. But they’re offering great pay and I get a chance to return home to Hapes. I haven’t been back there in a very, very, long time. This could be my chance to make my coaching mark on the league, to really show what I’m capable of accomplishing,” Chambers said.

“I take it there’s nothing I can say that will keep you here?” Kaitlyn asked as a sinking feeling settled into her stomach.

Meredith looked Kaitlyn Vehn in the eyes and replied, “I want this opportunity, Miss Vehn. This could be my chance, my time.”

Kaitlyn nodded her head and forced out a smile. She wasn’t too thrilled but she wouldn’t wish Meredith any ill-will. This was a great opportunity for the up and coming coordinator. Few ELL coaching positions opened up and most vacancies were filled fairly quickly. She knew Meredith couldn’t sit on this. She had to make her move.

“I’ll miss you around, Chambers,” Kaitlyn replied as she stood, “but don’t get too comfortable with your new job quite yet. We have a game coming up next week that I’d like us to stay focused on. You’re mine until the season ends. After that, well, you’ll be
    your own boss.”

Meredith smiled and replied, “Absolutely, Miss Vehn. Thank you, thank you so much.”

“Congratulations, Meredith. If anyones going to do well in this league as a rookie head coach, its you. Hapes should be proud,” Kaitlyn said as she offered her hand.

Meredith accepted the gesture and replied, “I wouldn’t be here without you supporting me.”

“I can only support you so far. I hear that Adanna Inviere interviewed for the GM position and was just hired. Before you cross sides on me, I have to ask, think you can play nice with her?” Kaitlyn inquired.

“You’ll just have to wait and see,” Meredith replied and left the office leaving Kaitlyn Vehn wondering how in the nine hells of Corellia were the Smugglers going to fill this vacancy.

Tag: No One

2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Alysha Romax (Midfielder) traded to Hapes with Honey Ryder (Midfielder) and Domino Derval (half back) going to Coruscant in exchange
    TAG: Jedi Gunny Vehn

Vehn and Jedi Gunny like this.
  3. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Vesper Lynd
    Weight Room, Monarchs Stadium, Rydonni Prime
    ELL Conference Semi-Finals, Monarchs vs. Miners, Pre-Match Practice

Upon returning home it was business as usual for Vesper. Romo allowed the team an extra day for “rest”, anticipating that most of the team would want to celebrate their accomplishment. But when the Head Coach walked in to the facility that day, he found the entire team working out. Vesper and her roommates were the first ones there, followed shortly by the rest of the squad.

“Hey Cap!” Ford announced, “Guess who made the headlines again?”

Vesper simply shook her head. She thought that the celebrity rags would have grown tired of her torrid personal life, “Come on Ford, are you trying to get me to throw this weight at your head?”

“I think this is one that you’re goin’ to wanna see,” he tossed her the datapad as she racked her free weights. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the image that dominated the screen. It was of her and Bella Starr, jersey-less and hugging fans. The headline proclaimed, “MONARCHS MAKE DREAMS COME TRUE, GIVE FANS THE SHIRTS OFF THEIR BACKS!”

Winnie leaned over Vesper’s shoulder, trying to read the article, “What’s it say Ves?”

Vesper cleared her throat, “As the sun set over Stoney End Park, the never-say-die Monarchs joined their joyous fans in the stadium seats. Little did the fans know that their dream trip to the Monarchs regular season finale would include an impromptu visit from the entire limmie squad. ‘Timmy has been paralyzed from the waist down ever since the explosion,’ Timmy’s tearful father explained, ‘When we told him that we were going to game he couldn’t stop talking about it. But now that he has a game day jersey from his favorite player, he’ll never be sad again.’

“Little Timmy was the lucky boy who not only received a jersey from Vesper Lynd, but also got an added bonus of hugging her. All of the fans that were in the section visited by the Monarchs were from the war-torn areas of Rydonni Prime. Timmy’s injuries were a result of his school bus being caught in a blast set off by Naathe Loyalist controlled battle-droids. The group is part of a support program put together by the Ryell Medical Center Group Health System that specializes in providing after-care needs for less fortunate children.

“Timmy’s group received notification that an anonymous benefactor gifted them tickets, transportation, and lodging just three days before the match…”

Vesper couldn’t read any further as the tears dripping off her cheeks onto the datapad had obscured the words on the screen. Wiping her eyes dry she looked around at the huddle of teammates around her. All of them were proven game day warriors, professional athletes at the peak of their physical fitness, and not one of them had a dry eye. Vesper stood up, put her arms on the shoulders of the people on either side of her, and pulled them in tight to her. Without telling them, the rest of the team followed suit and soon they all were gathered into one large, group hug.

“They are the ones we play for… They are the ones we WIN for!”

IC: Setarcos Rhemes
    General Managers Office, Monarchs Stadium, Rydonni Prime

The giant office doors parted to reveal the Head Coach, wearing a confused look underneath is signature darkened glasses. “Did I see what I thought I saw?”

Looking up from the scouting reports on his desk, Setarcos slowly removed his reading glasses, “And what precisely do you think you saw?”

“The entire team working out together on their rest day.”

“In that case… yes,” Setarcos returned his attention to his reports, “Why should that surprise you? You’ve done something that none of these players, except for Ford and Aptos, have ever gotten to do… made the playoffs.”

Romo took up the seat across from Rhemes, “I know, so I expected them to have spent last night celebrating.”

“Celebrating?” the reports fell flat before the GM, “What exactly would they be celebrating? Mediocrity? We barely made it in by the skin of our teeth. No, there will be celebrating until we have a Galactic Cup in that cabinet out there,” Setarcos rose and walked to the window overlooking 4th Fleet Field. “I would gladly trade every single trophy we have for just one Cup.”

It pained him to think back on the past ten limmie seasons. The closest they came to accomplishing anything was a Premiership in their founding season and even that was shrouded in tragedy. 270 they were the best squad in the ELL with the best offense and the Smugglers came into their home and reminded them why the league is dubbed ELITE.

“You know, Badger, the last time Bakura came into our house for a playoff game they smacked us so hard that it took five years to get back in.” There was one trophy that wasn’t in the cabinet but stood in the main lobby of the Monarchs Hall of Fame encircled by the framed jerseys of the Fallen Fifteen. The 271 Zumtak was the hardest for Setarcos to look at, not only because of who it was awarded to, but for the lackluster end to that same season.

The stone carved façade of Romo concealed the true emotion that Setarcos heard in Romo’s voice, “Oh, I know. Don’t forget, I was working for the enemy back then.” The GM watched Romo in the window get up and wonder over to his liquor supply, “So tell me Arco, what did you call me up here for? I doubt it was to recall team history.”

The bearded red-head slowly turned around to look at the Head Coach, “Why did you allow Vesper walk back to her apartment after the last home match?” Setarcos allowed for his irritation be heard in his direct question.

“Last time I checked I was her coach, not her babysitter.”

“In my world you’re both.”

“Well I’m sorry your world view is skewed.”

The look on both men’s faces was impassible, neither displayed any emotion. “Then you better skew yours to match mine, do I make myself clear?”

“Crystal. Now if you’ll excuse me, sir,” Romo chugged the remaining contents of his glass and then slammed it down on to Setarcos’s desk, “I have a playoff match to prepare for.” Without further regard the Head Coach exited the office. Setarcos continued to look out over the field that was diligently being tended to by landscaping droids.

The doors closed silently, but there was an audible click as they were secured by a lock. Setarcos turned around with a start as a figure crept out of a shadowy corner. “Do you think Romo is going to cooperate?”

[​IMG]

“Frak me Kol’sin!” Setarcos exclaimed grasping his chest, “Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

Kol’sin crossed to the desk and stoically stood before the GM, “No, but it was getting cold standing over there. So what are your thoughts on Romo?”

“Badger won’t be an issue, just like Erika hasn’t been an issue, and Laura’s not an issue.”

“The two girls are your daughters, Romo is not related.”

“He’s practically my brother.”

“And what about the Queen?”

“That’s another issue all together…”

Bankers Mansion, Cambrielle, Ralltiir
    Solo Conference Finals, Monarchs at Starkillers

It was game time and the announcer finished introducing the team. All of them received a semi-respectful amount of applause, except for Abe, who was lambasted with boos. Vesper ventured over to the former Starkiller and threw her arm around his shoulders as the rest of the team gathered round them. “Alright let’s pull it together.”

All of the sudden the entire stadium went dark. “Here is comes…” Abe whispered.

“What the kark?” Cali asked aloud, “Did the Vigo’s forget to pay their power bill or something?”

With that the fireworks off the goalposts started and spotlights appeared, illuminating the Starkillers’ dance team. “You have got to be frakking kidding me.” Vesper looked around at the rest of the squad. The only one not looking around at the spectacle was Abe. His eyes were fixated on the jumbo vidscreen. “Abe?”

The young keeper did not even flinch, it was as if he knew what was coming. As the Starkillers were introduced highlights from previous matches preceded their names. When the offensive forwards turns came round the majority of them were shots from their week 8 matchup against each other. Vesper watched as Abe’s face turned sterner and sterner. The final image was of their Head Coach celebrating in Monarch Stadium.

“Abe?” Vesper asked once more when the lights came back up.

“They poked a sleeping garu-bear,” Abe answered unblinking, “and now they will learn why it is best to let sleeping bears lie.”

“That’s what I’m talking about,” Vesper slapped him on the back, “Now let’s go teach them a valuable lesson.”

TAG: Runjedirun

4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus rolls to Euceron, Nar Shaddaa, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime. Banked bonus rolls to Bakura, Coruscant, and Mando'ade. And now, for one of my favorite weeks of limmie in the whole season!

Galactic Cup Playoffs
    Conference Finals
    (2) Rydonni Prime Monarchs at (1) Ralltiir Starkillers (16-2)
    (2) Euceron Storm at (1) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (25-38)

121st Galactic Cup Final
    Mesh’la Vhetin, Keldabe, Mandalore

(2) Rydonni Prime Monarchs vs. (1) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers

I'm short on time this morning, so @CPL_Macha and Vehn get to work out between them which conference gets Esther Gondorf to present the team trophy. ;)

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Jett Hanson (Right Half Back), Steen Hanson (Left Half Back) and Jase Hanson (Center Half Back) all of the Mando'ade Mercs announce their retirement from the ELL in press conference on Nadiem
    • Mando'ade Mercs in contract talks with Ciegarth (Left Half Back) on contract extension
    • Rumors that Xander Darkrider (Midfielder) will explore free agency
    • Bakura Miners release Neffroq Vubbins (Corner back, Mon Calamari) on waivers
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

Runjedirun, Vehn and CPL_Macja like this.
  5. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    276 Conference Finals, Storm vs. Smugglers

Kaitlyn Vehn stood on the edge of precipice, metaphorically speaking, and what she saw below her were the last five years of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers never being quite good enough since their magical run to the Final in 270. Her retrospective was further extended by the disappointing failure of the Smugglers to get past their conference rivals, and skilled opposition, the Euceron Storm in two playoff battles in 265 and 274 respectively.

Those two playoff battles against the Storm had been played on Euceron. Kaitlyn Vehn closed her eyes and fought back images of the Storm celebrating yet another win over the Smugglers. There was bad blood here between these teams. Anyone who watched the sport knew that Euceron was far from a push-over when it came to playing the rough and tumble squad from Nar Shadda. Euceron, where the dreams of Smugglers fans and players went to die. Euceron, where Meredith Chambers had suffered a catastrophic knee injury and never fully recovered to reclaim her perch as the greatest to ever play the box. Euceron, a team that always played up to the Smugglers and pushed them beyond the breaking point. Euceron the proverbial thorn in the
    side of a very well oiled machine.

Kaitlyn opened her eyes as her squad came lumbering down the long tunnel to the pitch. They were wearing those beautiful black and burgundy uniforms that screamed power, domination, physical play, honor, and tradition. This was her team. She’d put the coaching staff together. She’d put the talent together. This was her baby and now the time had come for one last great push to send this squad to the Final. Maker, was she nervous. Out there, in their road whites, were the Storm. Out there, in their menacing form, was a team that knew just how to kill the Smugglers. But they knew how to kill the Smuggler teams of the past. They did not know how to kill this particular Smugglers squad that had absolutely crushed the Storm in that miserable planet known as Euceron 39-4 earlier in the season.

There was Mylessa McCloud looking like a veteran despite this being her first year in the league.

There was Erin Windreaver with a fire in her eyes that screamed determination and lethality.

There was Jayla Leed who had taken on the mantle left by Meredith Chambers and reforged the defense in the way that the Smugglers of years past would be proud.

“Miss Vehn,” was all they said as they walked past.

Kaitlyn shook their hands as she always did before every game. This time, however, she added, “Blow the winds of the Storm away from this place. Send them back to where they came. Show no mercy, give no quarter.”

“You got it, boss,” Jayla Leed replied as the team raced out of the tunnel, into the bright lights of Six Boroughs, into the maelstrom of arguably the best week of the ELL known to the galaxy.

The time to change history was now. The time to pave the way to victory was now.

No longer would the Smugglers be humiliated by the Storm.

No longer.

No, nay, never, no more!

Storm 25, Smugglers 38

“Interception! Reaver with the game-sealing pick! Game over! The Smugglers have won! The Smugglers have won! They will advance to the Final on Mandalore for the chance to win a 10th Galactic Cup! Oh, Maker, what a day, what a day!” The announcer screamed into the telecast as Kaitlyn Vehn took off her head-set and headed down to mid-field.

“274! 274! 274! The crowd chanted as they reminded the defeated Storm players of recent playoff history. Everyone wanted revenge against the Storm and today they had gotten it in aces.

Loud explosions were heard in the upper decks of the stadium as burgundy and black ticker tape flooded the field. Police in riot gear, well trained in handling the equally explosive Smuggler fan base, flooded out to protect the players from being absolutely mobbed by ‘The Crew’.

Kaitlyn pushed her way to midfield, looked down at the torn and tattered skull of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, and found Tover Micjaa where she gave him the biggest hug of his life. Her chest swelled with pride, she could barely contain her excitement, her emotions, the feelings of joy, of ectasy, of being one step closer to her lifelong dream, threatening to make her mind explode out of sheer awesomeness. So this was how it felt to be a winner. So this was how it felt to be that much closer to the ultimate prize. Damn, that felt good.

She squealed in surprise as the cold, sticky, liquid of Gundarkade was dumped on the two of them in mid-embrace. Kaitlyn spun around to see Reaver and McCloud, her two first round draft picks, her two kids, smiling like kids in a chocolate shop. She flicked off the Gundarkade on her hair and doused her two players in the victory tradition. Everyone laughed, embraced, ticker tape sticking to her exposed flesh.

The crowd parted as Jack ran into her open arms. Lilly followed shortly thereafter. The trio posing for pictures with the holocameras as Kaitlyn proudly displayed a cap that said: ‘Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, 276 Skywalker Conference Champions’. This felt so damn good. But it was nothing next to what she really wanted to experience which was hoisting that Galactic Cup above her head for the entire galaxy to see.

The Elite League had sent Esther Gondorf to the Monarchs/Starkillers game so the trophy in the Skywalker Conference was presented by a nondescript league official. Kaitlyn didn’t care. In fact, she was glad that Gondorf wasn’t here today. Too much of a good thing. With sticky hands, with barely concealed joy, with her heart and soul exploding in a plethora of outlandish, fun, happy, emotions, Kaitlyn raised the trophy above her head as the deafening roar from the Smuggler faithful echoed across the stadium.

“Kaitlyn, tell us what you’re feeling right now?” Reporters from VCN asked.

“This is a great feeling, a great moment for this franchise. I frakking love this team, I love the fans, thank you, all of you, but our journey isn’t done yet! I won’t be fully satisfied, I won’t be completely happy, until the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers bring home the Galactic Cup!” Kaitlyn roared into the microphone. The fans loved that one. They refused to shut up for quite awhile.

“It’s taken you two years to build this squad to be a contender. Many people thought you couldn’t do it. Many people thought you were not qualified for the position. After being fired from your job as Chairwoman of the RTO, after your messy divorce with your husband, after losing your son to the laws of Druckenwell, what have you to say for yourself?”

Tears came to Kaitlyn’s eyes as she reflected on her journey to this point. “I knew I could do it. People could criticize me all they wanted but I love my family, I love this team, I knew I could do it. Nobody else thought I had what it took. I’ve made some enemies along the way, I’ve pissed a lot of people off with my behavior, I’m sure I make Board of Governors meetings a living hell for the Commissioner, but I don’t really frakking care about all that. I’ve worked my rear off to get where I am. But I would be nothing, absolutely nothing, were it not for Tover Micjaa, his brilliant coaching staff, all of it. Our journey as a team isn’t over. We’re coming to Mandalore, Nar Shaddaa! We’re chasing history now and nothing can stop us!”

That drew another loyal roar from the fans.

Today the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers had gotten rid of the monkey on their back. The Storm had blown over. Now, in about a week, a new confrontation would be coming. The Rydonni Prime Monarchs. A team nobody thought would make it to the big dance this year. A team that fought hard when it counted. A team that was putting in a playoff performance of their own that deserved equal praise, equal respect, and mutual admiration.

The Smugglers couldn’t afford to let their guard down. They were so close to making history. So very close. But Rydonni Prime wouldn’t make it easy. They too remembered 270 ABY, the last time the Smugglers trounced the Monarchs in two successive weeks enroute to a Galactic Cup victory. Kaitlyn realized that the Monarchs had memories and grudges of their own. They would be ready for the Smugglers.

Oh, yes, there would be a fight worthy of the golden era of Limmie on Mandalore. She could guarantee that.

“I love you, Mommy,” Jack whispered in Kaitlyn’s ear as she squeezed him tight.

“I love you too,” Kaitlyn said.

She’d worry about the Monarchs in a day or two. For now, forever, she loved her family, she loved this franchise, she loved being an owner in the greatest, most beautiful, game of them all: Elite League Limmie.

Tag:jcgoble3;CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Gark S’rily
    Offseason, Week After the Galactic Cup Final

Gark sat at his home HoloNet terminal, talking with Allie Orchetrada, the Senators’ offensive coordinator. She had informed him earlier in the week that she needed to talk to him about something, so now it was time to find out what she wanted.

“Obviously losing Adanna to Hapes hurts our organization, and leaves us without an assistant GM,” the human said.

“Yeah,” Gark replied. “I was getting used to having her here. She was improving markedly by the day . . .”

“I’d be willing to take over her old role,” Allie said.

Gark wasn’t too surprised to hear this, but it still was somewhat of a shock. Allie had never been a front office type with the Senators, just a coach.

“Look, I know it sounds a little weird, but hear me out,” the coordinator insisted. “I did some front office stuff for AC Coruscant back in the day when I retired from this team the first time. I even did similar duties to what Adanna did the prior two years. I know this team, this franchise, this planet, and what a front office persona needs to do better than anyone else currently on the staff.”

Gark reasoned these thoughts in his mind. She had a point. Although his positional coaches were all former players who had once played for the former head coach, none of them had experience in the front office of a Limmie club at any level. Allie had worked with an entry-level organization, and she was his best option to replace the Hapan. He didn’t like it, but that was how it had to be.

“All right,” Gark said. “Consider yourself promoted.”

“Thank you, sir. You won’t regret it,” Allie said before she cut the connection. Gark sighed and turned his screen off. Now his team needed another shift of personnel, but he knew where to start . . .

Next Week at Team HQ

“I want to thank all of you for coming out here today,” Gark said. “I arranged this meeting so that we could go over coaching changes and front office personnel for the 277 campaign.” He looked around at Polis Vayne, Moen Heatly, Dirxx Horstse, Shayt Contar, Allie, and Telena Perrette, the new defensive coordinator. “Now, Allie here has an announcement to make.” He ceded the floor to the human.

“After some debate, I have been promoted to Assistant General Manager for this club,” she said. “I will replace Adanna and do all of the duties that we assigned to her.”

“Congrats,” Dirxx said, clapping a few times. “Now you get to be with the nutjob even more than you probably ever wanted to be.”

That got a few laughs from everyone in the room, including Gark. Dirxx certainly had a gift of gab and humor. Then the room fell silent once more.

“As you are well aware, Allie’s promotion removes her from the Offensive Coordinator position,” Gark continued.

“I decided it would be best to not have both on my plate,” Allie reasoned. “I want a chance to not have the rigors of coaching.”

“So is this where we come in?” Polis asked.

“Well, sort of . . .” Gark said. “Polis, Moen, I want to ask you two something.”

“Sure, boss, go ahead,” Moen said. He had been quiet up until now.

“Do either of you want to take over the offensive coordinator position?” Gark asked. “I’ve only worked with defense, and I feel like I’d rather take a smaller coaching role on the team than being a coordinator again. So it comes down to whether one of you two wants it.”

The two former Senators looked at each other, and there was another period of silence as they deliberated. Finally Moen opened his mouth.

“A few years ago, I would have said yes. But I don’t think Laryssa would appreciate me adding more to my duties by being a coordinator.” Laryssa Heatly, formerly Oneida and now Moen’s wife, was a midfielder during her career, finishing with the 273 Senators team that had come so close to winning the Galactic Cup title. “I do enough as it is with the corners and fulls. Besides, I want to see my girls grow up.” He and Laryssa had two young daughters together.

This brought the mantle to Polis. “Gee, I don’t know,” the Team Hall-of-Famer said. “I think Meredith should have say on it, even though she’s also coaching.”

“And now she’s a head coach,” Dirxx interjected.

“I just don’t know if I’m ready for it,” Polis said. “Maybe one more year . . .? Ask me again sometime.”

“Well, I need something concrete now,” Gark said. “I want to make sure we shorten the amount of time spent searching for coaches, and get started on our offseason plans ASAP.”

“I won’t be the coordinator,” Polis said. “Sorry.”

“It’s all good,” Gark said. “Luckily, I have someone who might fit the bill for the upcoming season.” He lifted his comlink and said “Come in,” into it. The coaches were curious to see who this new coach prospect was.

The door to the conference room opened, and in came a chalk-skinned Echani woman.

“Let’s boogie,” Sulena Gure said, a look of mischief on her face.

TAG: No On directly, but Trieste might hate me for doing this :p

jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Somebody break my fall, I'm slipping down all over again.

It wasn’t the game we had been hoping for. The offense that had showed up for the last 6 games reverted all the way back to game one of the season. I could see the frustration on Jul’s face when the second half began and Marmu returned to her old habits of attempting every score herself. Fortune was so frustrated that he actually tried to steal the ball from his own teammate. This led to our only point of the second half. Till wasn’t having that type of play from one of his players though. Not even if it put points on the board in the most important game of the season. Both players were benched immediately.

Our efforts on defense while not commendable were decent. Teaspoon was blocking plenty of shots. Ty and Dev were up to their usual standards as well. By the end of the game the entire defensive unit was just too exhausted to keep the Monarchs from extending their lead. I admired them for keeping their composer and even congratulating themselves for their own small achievements even when it was obvious we were not going to win.

Ty’s father left the box early. “Third play-off loss in 5 years,” he said in frustration as he stormed out the door. His wife apologized as she followed.

The Fortune’s seemed to be a much more level headed understanding bunch. Even when Andres was pulled from the game I didn’t hear a complaint from them. When the game came to an end they thanked me for the use of the box and I invited them back for any game they wanted to see next season.

For me personally the loss was hard to take. I held my composure though, as is necessary of any leader. Richard did a decent job of keeping Tomas from allowing his emotions to get the best of him. “This happened 2 years ago too.” Richard reminded him. “You just weren’t old enough to care yet. Starkillers won the division and imploded in their play-off appearance. Don’t you worry though, Dad’s going to let me help with the scouting and attend the draft. This is not going to happen again.”

He sounded cocky. Later, after the game, next week maybe, whenever appropriate. Once we had time to shake off our feelings from this game I’d remind him that all we had to work with were two low second round picks and a third. Hardly the pool of talent that was likely to win championships. I made my own way down to the field. Local press would be asking questions. It was important for me to hear what our players and staff answered. It was also important for me to reassure fans that we would work this offseason towards solutions to our problems this season.

I watched as the Starkillers respectfully lined up to shake hands after the final buzzer. Till took a moment to congratulate Romo on a job well done. We all tried not to look as the visitor’s bench celebrated. A few reporters tried to stop us before we got off field, but I instructed all players to hold off on any answers until after a team meeting. We would hold a press conference within the hour I promised.

For the first time all season I watched Till address the team after a game. “I want to thank every last one of you for a great season,” he began. “This hurts. There’s no denying the pain when a season ends on a loss. It’s not over though. We will be back in this locker room just a few short months from now. Preparing to hit that field again. We won’t be fighting to overcome a deficit next season if I have anything to say about it. Don’t leave here with your heads down. It was a hell of season. Rest well and be ready to prove yourselves. If anyone has any questions or concerns about what you can or cannot say to the press please see me or Mr. Vigo before reporting to the conference.”

Tell me where I begin. You can't deny what's already been.
    Coach Till walked up to the podium with a sense of determination to speak first as the press conference began. “First off I want to congratulate the Rydonni Prime Monarchs. They came into our stadium and out played us. As an organization we wish them the best in their upcoming game against Nar Shadda. I also want to thank this organization for giving me a second chance. It was a disappointing loss today. If I am given the opportunity to coach here again next season I will fight hard not to repeat our losses early in the season. I will fight hard to repeat our play-off appearance and I will fight even harder to win when we reach the play-offs.” He put up a hand to decline any questions and exited the stage.

Bravely Loren took the podium next. “What excuse do you have for your poor play today?” The first reporter fired off.

“I don’t make excuses,” she said. “We were outmatched.”

“Do you regret your eagerness to re-sign with the Starkillers at the end of last season?” Another reporter asked.

“No,” Loren answered quickly. “I have been a member of the Starkillers since I the start of my career. The fans here have always been extremely supportive, this is my team I am proud to be a Starkiller.”

“What changes do you hope to see the team make to improve the offense during the off-season?” A final reporter asked.

“That’s not for me to say. My job is to welcome any new players and catch them up to speed so we can win games together.”

Loren exited the podium and Ty took her place. “Was it difficult to be coached by your best friend this season?” The first question came.

“Trey and I go back, it’s true,” Ty explained. “But even during our playing days he was many years my senior and much more of a mentor than a regular teammate. I’ll admit that we had our struggles during the beginning of the season. It was hard for me to remember sometimes that I had to listen to him. Once we worked through that our relationship strengthened. I hope upper management decides to keep him.”

“Would you have been opposed to keeping Cynour on the team?”

Ty’s initial reaction was to look slightly uncomfortable, recovering quickly he answered. “I’m glad Cynour left our organization. He seems to have matured since his departure. I’m sorry he couldn’t have made that change before he left.”

“When your wife missed the game against Hapes there were reports she was expecting. Can you confirm those rumors?”

“Unfortunately no.” Ty said trying to keep his composure. “She was ill two weeks ago, she is doing much better.” He didn’t even bother to raise his hand to refuse more questions. He simply exited the stage.

I took the stage next. Much like Till I read from a prepared statement. “I want to thank our coaches, staff and players for a wonderful and memorable 276 season. If Till will have us next year we will be more than happy to have him. Negotiations for an extended contract will begin immediately. I also want to thank our fans for all the support this season. I promise there will be several exciting announcements about the future of this organization during the off season. I will personally be over seeing changes to the roster and improvements in other areas as well. Stay tuned Ralltiir your 277 Starkillers will be back and better than ever.”

I won't break but I can bend. Shaping the scars that I can't mend.

We had several contracts come to an end with the season. Most interesting of those was Marmu Ishana. She wanted a larger salary than I was paying Fortune. In my opinion and in that of coach Till it wasn’t something she deserved. She and her agent were relentless. The offense had performed well most of this season and she had been a big part of that. Still she hadn’t been solely responsible for our wins. Negotiations on her contract were quickly becoming frustrating. In private Till and I were beginning to discuss how well the team could fair if we let her go.

Flarn was willing to stay with us even for the salary we were paying him. After his aggressive play against Coruscant I wasn’t sure he was the type of player I wanted to represent our franchise. The problem was he’d made positive contributions as well. It was not an easy decision to let him go or keep him.

Sen was leaving heavily towards retirement. She had been with the organization a long time it was hard to see her go, but she had also been struggling with an injury all season so if she did decide to go it was understandable. At the very least I would be throwing her a retirement party. If she was leaving she would be getting proper farewell.

That left us with Frokabukk. Whom I hadn’t spoken to at all at this stage. He was also a veteran, luckily Wookies had longer playing careers than most species. I hoped he would be reasonable with his salary requirements so we could retain his talent.

Our final possible off season complication was Assistant Coach Gwynn Reeser. She had been invited to Corellia for an interview with the Rebels. The team had the audacity to contact her before or play-off game preparations were barely underway. All of us wanted her to have the opportunity at a head coaching position. Our entire organization needed to be concentrating on our play-off appearance though, not concerning ourselves with the possible loss of one of our staff members. It was something I would be bringing up at the next owners meeting. There should be no contact made with players or staff until a team’s season was over. I felt strongly about this and was curious to find out if other owners would agree.

Feel your fingers around my throat. There's nothing but bones beneath my skin.
    It had been difficult to keep my plans for the future quiet. I had been hoping for a win. Our fans would have been more than pleased to go on to the cup game. Now that we had lost my name was taking a beating in the press. Hopefully the announcements to come would quell their concerns. The morning after the game I began to make calls so those announcements were made within a timely manner.

Hello, goodbye my friend.

Until we start all over again.

OOC: I enjoyed the season very much. I'd do it all over ;)

Tag CPL_Macja

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sub-GM Post

Bonus rolls this week to (points in parentheses): Tatooine (28), Thyferra (30), Byblos (28), Commenor (28), Druckenwell (28), Concordia (28).

Limmie Futures League
    Consolation Semifinals
    (8) Kashyyyk Rangers at (5) Tatooine Sandskimmers (10–24)
    (7) Garqi Gunners at (6) Thyferra Force (13–27)
    Futures Cup Semifinals
    (4) Byblos Red Wings at (1) Commenor Gundarks (15–16)
    (3) Druckenwell Marksmen at (2) Concordia Crusaders (26–10)

Championship Week
    Zygian Savings and Loan Seventh Place Game
    (8) Kashyyyk Rangers at (7) Garqi Gunners
    Ardees Beverage Fifth Place Game
    (6) Thyferra Force at (5) Tatooine Sandskimmers
    SoroSuub Third Place Game
    (4) Byblos Red Wings at (2) Concordia Crusaders
    Futures Cup Final, presented by Gundarkade
    Mesh'la Vhetin, Keldabe, Mandalore
    (3) Druckenwell Marksmen vs. (1) Commenor Gundarks

Reminder that there are per-player cash prizes to each team based on the results of their playoff games. Refer to my season-opening post for more details on that.

Also, remember that Championship Week scores, as usual, will be posted Saturday evening, not Sunday. I will try to give a few hours' warning in OOB before I post scores, but I cannot guarantee that. If you want your post to count, I would advise getting it posted before 3:00 pm EDT on Saturday to be safe.

TAG: Jedi Gunny Bardan_Jusik Vehn Runjedirun Tim Battershell CPL_Macja

Vehn likes this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Marmu Ishana (Bimm, Female, Full Forward, Ralltiir Starkillers) becomes a free agent
    • Flarn (Yuzzem, Male, Left Half Forward, Ralltiir Starkillers) becomes a free agent
    • ELL reminds teams that with playoffs under way, all free agent acquisition filings will be held until conclusion of Galactic Cup Playoffs to preserve an equal chance for all teams to tender offers
    TAG: Runjedirun, all people watching for new free agents

Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC
    Visitor’s Locker Room, Mesh’la Vhetin, Keldabe, Mandalore
    Galactic Cup Final

When the Monarchs entered the locker room, their jerseys already hanging in their stalls, each with a patch celebrating the 121st Galactic Cup Final sewn onto the breast, Vesper Lynd would find propped up in hers a small flimsi envelope of heavy stock standing there, her first name written in tight script.

Inside was the following handwritten note:

Vesper,

Today the Noble House of Trieste stands with you. We all wish you the best of success today on this great playing field—even your Uncle Oisin, Aunt Verity, Eleanor, Austin, and May, though they may not show it. I regret that I am not cleared for travel in the wake of my procedure to be there myself. In my stead, I have sent a suitable factor to represent my interests and those of the Noble House. We are all incredibly proud of you today and will be cheering you on from Bakura.

If I may so bold as to borrow a phrase: we believe in you.

Best of luck,

Aunt Kerry

Box level, Mesh’la Vhetin, Keldabe, Mandalore

The Lynd tribe was not going to miss Vesper’s big day. They’d decamped from Bakura en masse and traveled all the way out to Mandalore for the event, arriving as early as possible just in case there were any delays in travel. It was the second straight representation of the Noble House at a Galactic Cup Final—and on both sides of the field. The Trieste-Vehns were also in attendance for this game and would be watching with Kaitlyn Vehn (who no doubt would be reveling in the fact she would, as the “home team,” be relaxing in Beskaryc Taab’s personal box today).

Not to be outdone, the Lynds had taken out a box for the occasion, sparing little expense. It meant that they had plenty of room with them and when word had trickled down to Cillian, he suggested that they bring Rickard Harlow, his fellow veteran of the Coalition military action against the Ssi-Ruuk, with him. Ginnifer added her voice to it and it was decided. The two soldiers had spent their days preceding the Final visiting old friends that wore the beskar’gam and had shed blood with them in the Cluster. Though neither of them talked about what they said to their fellow warriors, the Lynds got the sense that the trip did both young men good.

The box was pretty well full with pregame warmups not even completed. It was with some curiosity that they heard the chime announcing another visitor. Siona was doing a headcount as she headed to the door and, yes, everyone was there. Maybe it was a stadium waiter with more food, which they could probably do with.

She opened the door, which slid back to reveal a young woman standing there in a retro, sky blue Monarchs t-shirt with its pouncing feline logo.

“All right—now we can get things started,” Falene Trieste said with a smile.

TAG: CPL_Macja

jcgoble3, CPL_Macja and Vehn like this.
  11. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Six Boroughs Stadium, Vehn’s Quarters

Kaitlyn watched the cleanup crews work with a high level of intensity after yesterday’s sterling playoff victory against the Euceron Storm. Thousands combed the stands as they hunted for trash, left behind belongings, while hundreds more worked hard to get the field back into playing shape for next season. Even though there would be no more games at Six Boroughs this year Vehn preferred to have most of the pre-season work done at the conclusion of the previous year. That way there was less to have to do in order to get the stadium ready for opening day.

The Nar Shaddaa Smugglers had left for Keldabe to prepare for their match up against the Monarchs. They would be the home team and would be wearing their venerable burgundy and black jerseys. Tover had them in good spirits and Kaitlyn knew she could trust her squad to put a good product on the field. If everything went well there would be another trophy to take home and parade in the streets. Yes, Mandalore was an inhospitable environment but she knew that for all their animosity towards the Smugglers, the Mandos would uphold their honor and protect both franchises from any external threats. They were safe. That was good. And the security on Mandalore was not what was bothering her. No, her problems lay closer to home.

She had a deal to uphold. A deal with the Jedi. Should she renege on her promises, Lilly’s healing wouldn’t stick. As with anything in life, as with most things, magic, the force, whatever, came at a price. Her price, her promise to the Jedi had been that if Lilly was successfully healed she would adopt the young woman as her own. Make her a Vehn. Give her a family name that resonated with the galaxy. Give her a name that would give her a leg up in the world. She would want for nothing. She would know only love. She would know only kindness, understanding, and trust.

Trust.

Kaitlyn felt her stomach twist a little as she mulled that word. She’d done some digging into Lilly’s background because she’d had to procure a few documents for the courts to start the paperwork on the adoption. What she had discovered further reinforced the growing notion in Kaitlyn’s mind that she really didn’t know Lilly at all. That she was making this thing blind, stabbing in the dark, and that bothered her. She never went into any negotiation, any decision, or any transcation blind. That was stupid, that was how mistakes were made, and that was how beings were destroyed in the blink of an eye.

Lilly had lied to her. Blatantly lied.

The cold hard truth settled in her stomach and nearly made her sick. Truth could do that to anyone. Send icy chills up and down the spine, rattle the head, make one doubt. Today, Kaitlyn Vehn was doubting and doubting everything she had ever been told by Lilly. This wasn’t good and so she’d summoned Lilly to her quarters. It was truth time. Time to reveal all. Wouldn’t the media love that?

“I’m here,” Lilly said as she broke Kaitlyn’s thoughts.

Kaitlyn turned around and folded her arms across her chest. She looked down at the floor briefly as she decided how best to broach this particular subject. Say the wrong things and Lilly could run. Say the right things and this could blow over better than a Smuggler riot in the streets.

“I wanted to let you know that I’ve filed for adoption,” Kaitlyn announced. “I’d like you to be a part of my family, Lilly. Do you want that?”

“Of course! You’d really do this for me?” Lilly said.

Kaitlyn nodded and said, “I would but there’s some things I think we need to talk about.”

Vehn studied Lilly’s demeanor and could tell that a crack had just formed in her usually strong fascade. Yes, Kaitlyn thought, I’ve got you right where I want you, Lilly. You can’t hide from me. Few people in the galaxy want me as an enemy. Don’t make this harder on yourself.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Lilly replied.

Kaitlyn wanted to smack her head against a wall. So Lilly had chosen to play coy. That was a mistake.

“You and I have always been honest with one another, Lilly. We trust one another. We love one another. I’ve done my very best for you and you’ve always talked to me when something isn’t right or we need to work something out,” Kaitlyn began, “I don’t know how else to say this but I’ve discovered that you haven’t been entirely truthful with me. Is there something you want to tell me or do I have to drag it out of you?”

Lilly squirmed and shoved her hands in her pockets. She looked beyond Kaitlyn, tried to deflect, knew that wasn’t going to work.

“I’ve always been honest with you, Kaitlyn,” Lilly insisted.

Kaitlyn sighed and reached for a dossier on her desk. She tossed the file to Lilly who nearly dropped it on the ground.

“Read that,” Kaitlyn said.

Lilly did. When she was finished she looked up at Kaitlyn with shaking hands.

“You lied to me, Lilly,” Kaitlyn said. “Lied to me about your age. Lied to me about what really happened with your parents. Why?”

Lilly was on the verge of tears. Her hands were shaking. She looked like she was going to pass out.

“I love you, Kaitlyn, I never would do anything to hurt you,” Lilly stammered.

“Well, you can avoid hurting both of us by telling me the truth,” Kaitlyn said.

Lilly wiped a few tears from her eyes and looked up at Kaitlyn. She knew better than to continue to resist. There was no point in fighting.

“I,” she stopped and burst into tears again. Kaitlyn handed her some tissue but she wasn’t about to give in. This hurt but it would hurt a lot worse if the courts found out they weren’t telling the same story, “I lied about my age. I’m 18 years old. I know we just celebrated my 16th birthday two weeks ago and that was great. I shouldn’t have lied. I figured out after my accident, after my parents had that damn garbage truck roll into the median and crush our car, that I could stay longer in the Valor Foundation, in the hospital, if I lied about my age. Nobody checked up on me. Nobody verified facts. Lying to the system kept me in the system longer because I was so afraid of being put out on the streets. I had nobody, Kaitlyn, nobody.”

She was visibly shaking now, hot tears running down her face.

“Until I met you,” Lilly blurted out, “and then my entire life changed. You loved me, you made my life so much better than I ever thought it could be. I wanted to tell you the truth so many times. I really did. I just got so used to telling a lie that I eventually started to believe it. You ever done that in your life? You ever lived a lie so thoroughly it became a truth?”

Kaitlyn thought about that. Yeah, there had been one point. Not so long ago, to be honest.

“You weren’t really born on Nar Shaddaa, were you?”

Lilly shook her head.

“I was born in Atalanta, on Bakura, during the Civil War. My parents fled because they were supporters of the Maple Flag Republic, the secessionists, and it wasn’t safe. Somehow, someway, Mom and Dad never told me how, they broke the Bakuran Navy’s blockade and fled to Nar Shaddaa. We were driving home one day from visiting some friends when a garbage truck flipped over the median and landed on our car. My parents were killed and I was paralyzed. That’s the Maker’s truth, Kaitlyn, that’s the frakking truth!”

Kaitlyn nodded. She knew Lilly would come clean. She knew she could break Lilly and build her back up again.

“Is there anything else I need to know about you, Lilly? Anything you haven’t told me?” Kaitlyn asked.

Lilly shook her head.

“Promise me that you’ll always be honest. Even if you think I won’t want to hear it, even if you think it’ll make me upset,” Kaitlyn said.

“I promise to always be honest,” Lilly said as she hugged Kaitlyn back.

“So do I, my love, so do I,” Kaitlyn whispered as she looked at Lilly’s dossier and smiled.

Promise to the Jedi upheld.

A few days later, Lilly Weste formally became Lilly Vehn and little did she know it but an entire world of opportunities had suddenly opened up for her.

Tag: No One

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Coruscant Senators pull of blockbuster trades
    • Arkan Matsoto (Twi'lek, Male, Half Forward), Zumarooroo (Wookiee, Male, Half Back), Myles Tormera (Zeltron, Male, Half Back), Doon'sun (Weequay, Male, Full Back), Ginkel Rey'ban (Twi'lek, Male, Half Back), Zoobel Ra (Whipid, Male, Corner Forward) traded to Onderon Crazy Dragons for Jenna Leed (Human, Female, Half Back) and Michelle Doss (Human, Female, Corner Back)
    • Carder Blylock (Zeltron, Male, Corner Back), Nihal Toggs (Zabrak, Male, Goaltender), Chorba Hoosten (Rodian, Female, Midfielder), Kapp Pyston (Human, Male, Goaltender), and Brancko Nagriski (Barabel, Male, Full Back) traded to Ryloth Rough Riders for Zeke Barbosa (Bith, Male, Goaltender)
    • HSN analyst: "Gark S'rily's emptying the cupboard to get big name talent. Just when you think the Bothan is out of tricks, he comes up big again."
    • Corellia Rebels hire Starkillers' assistant coach Gwynn Reeser as their new head coach and general manager
    • Rebels press release: "We're thrilled to have Gwynn on board. She's going to take a decisive role in reshaping the future of the Rebels."
    • Ralltiir Starkillers announce they will host a preseason friendly against the Ylesia Lightning (April 27)
    • Elite League Limmie is currently accepting applications for hosting the 277 Draft
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn (everybody because I have no draft venue yet--but I do have a backup one if no one wants it)

13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: Beskaryc Taab
    Oyu'baat cafe, Keldabe, manda'yaim

Looking around the oyu'baat, Taab sighed silently to himself under his red and gold buy'ce. This was not supposed to have been the venue for this event, but circumstances had forced the Mandalorains to do what they did best. To improvise, adapt and overcome. And so the 276 season awards ceremony had been moved from the originally planned location (a still unfinished hotel on the outskirts of the city) to the oyu'baat, a place steeped in Mandalorian culture and tradition. That the ceremony would take place here didn;t anger Taab, he had thought this a better venue from the start, but the reasoning for it to be held here was an issue. It was emblematic of all the problems the Mandalorians were encountering in holding the Finals here this time around.

Last time they had put up everyone in tents and other temporary shelters. It had been a good way for the aruetiise to experience the life of the mando'ade, and Taab had laughed at how well some did, and did not, adapt to the unfamiliar surroundings. But this time was to be different, this time the Mandalorians were to provide the aruetiise the decadent comforts to which they were so accustomed. So far those efforts had been a disaster.

They had outsourced much of the work needed, Mandalorians being more adept at destruction than construction and as the structures held little real value to themselves, had gone with the lowest bidder on every project. That was now coming back to bite them in the shebs. Sidewalks (what a strange aruetii concept) sat unfinished, stretches of unpaved mud bordering the streets. Most of the hotels were at least open, but many had no light fixtures or running water. Those that did have the latter luxury had their own problems. Either an issue of there being no hot water or more alarmingly, a yellow water that the Mandalorian owners had told their guests not to wash their faces or brush their teeth with. Other than that it was perfectly fine though. It was something of a black eye to the Mandalorians and the Mercs, and it fueled the speculation that the Iron Mand'alor of the mando'ade had bribed the ELL to have the event held here. Taab had scoffed at such notions yet the rumor persisted.

At least the field would be ready, it always was, though it irked him that the hated Smugglers would be using the home locker room. That Vehn would be using his box. Perhaps he should leave a special, and explosive, surprise for her and just eliminate her once and for all... He shook his head at that. The repair work to the stadium and his box wouldn't be worth the effort. A commotion towards the back of the oyu'baat caught his attention. The locals were gettng restless, waiting for the festivities here to start. Taab looked now to the other tables towards the front, the ones where the other nominees for awards sat, a table for each team. The Mercs of course were represented here as the hosts for the event, but they also had their own nominee, the aruetii boy Lieznam, nominated for rookie of the year. Taab doubted he had much chance of winning, but if he did, Taab was prepared for the roof to be blown off of this centuries old establishment. It was time.

TAG: Trieste

OOC: I'll make another post closer in to the game (after the awards ceremony) detailing pre-game festivities at the stadium.

[​IMG]

Vehn and Trieste like this.
  14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Coruscant Team HQ

Gark sat in his office, pouring over the Senators’ roster as he had it figured out thus far. The season had barely ended, but he was hard at work looking at things. The Draft wasn't that far off, just a few months. So there would be some help arriving in the form of Draft picks, which made him breathe a little easier. But something still worried him. He had a roster in chaos; lots of moving pieces, some players he was willing to shed despite their veteran status. A few of the players slated to be traded or cut had even helped the Senators win the 268 Cup title, and making any sort of move would remove those memories from the roster. But that was almost a decade ago; this was a different time, and a vastly different team. He no longer had Dirxx Horstse, Polis Vayne, Shayt Contar, Shev Fil’yer, Lokesh Fil’ish, Syprul Raches, Moen Heatly, Adanna Inviere, Jed Ortmeyer . . . the list went on. All of them had retired, and moved on to greener pastures.

But boy did he need them. He needed their veteran presence to help soothe what had been a fractured team in 276. They had used a team record 41 players during the course of the season, including six on Injured Reserve and two suspensions. There had been no continuity, and no chemistry on a team who seemingly had new members on it every week. You couldn’t build a contender like that, so he needed to find a way to build a better team, a stronger team. One that wouldn’t fall apart when the going got tough. He needed veteran grit.

He looked through the list of players he was willing to move for the right price. So many veterans, with so much experience. But they were no longer fit for the new system, or their salary was an obstacle to rebuilding. He had to find some value in return for them, especially on defense. He had swung a trade with Hapes to bring in Domino Derval at the corner back position across from Christine Gamble, but that didn’t fix the holes in the half back line. He had Reena Wyley, Tank Bratter, and potentially Evis Kunat coming back next year, but they weren’t going to scare more teams senseless with their presence. He had to find a deal that would bring in some new blood.

So he went off on a different limb. Instead of looking at the Elite League rosters, he instead ventured back into the Premier League. There had to be someone out there who would fit his team’s needs . . . Balmorra . . . Sabilon . . . already swing a deal with them for Ziva Kender, which had been a massive failure . . . Cloud City . . . already got tricked by them once, not likely going to do that again . . . Denon . . . didn’t have many good players that would fit his team . . . Ryloth . . . Zeke Barbosa . . . how was the Bith doing, anyways? How was home life with the Misses? Wait, that was an idea . . .

He called up the Onderon Crazy Dragons roster. Jenna Leed’s mug stared back at him, a determined look on her face. The rest of her defense looked . . . crappy, to say the least. Gark remembered Leed’s play when she had been in the Elite League. She had been a tenacious defender during her time in the league, and had then fallen off the map when Onderon had been demoted years earlier due to their plummeting attendance.

Gark then looked at his own roster. He desperately needed a half back . . . actually, he needed a bunch of them. Telena Perrette had talked to Tank Bratter about moving to Full Back to fill in for Abbey Waters and Doon’sun, who likely were going to be shopped or cut this offseason. The Herglic seemed willing to make the switch, so Gark now had one less half back to work with. That left him with Wyley, Kunat if he came back for another season, Girola Gundor, a poor-playing rookie last year, Jamee Meels, a young Talz who showed flashes of brilliance but had been slow at times last year, and Rainy Frantsen, who had experience, but not all at the Elite League level. He needed a dominant presence in the half back line, and Leed might fit that bill, Gark reasoned.

But then he remembered who still ran the Crazy Dragons. Samantha Poland, a real stick in the mud, had their reins. If he wanted to get Leed, then he would have to work carefully, and say the right things. He had some talent in his farm system that he could tap if necessary. Almert Song, Ynisse Zalt, Alex Renhorn, Ava Killenger, Steen Roggers, Arienne Farfell . . . all of them were untouchable by his standards. But he had some other interesting pieces to work with. Ginkel Rey’ban came bursting on the scene at the end of the year, starting as a backup for Thyferra and etching himself some nice plays in the close loss to Bakura after his call-up. If Calmerung D’jukk had to go, so be it. Roggers and Carder Blylock had done their job last season, and Domino Derval also added another name to the list. Raley Tenegat had a bad rookie year, but he had three years left on his contract. There was no sense in bailing on him just yet.

Gark scanned his list of trade pieces once more. Hm, he had Arkan Matsoto to trade. Matsoto had been an explosive piece of the Smuggler offense in 275, but hadn’t quite meshed in the Senator attack this prior season. He likely had decent value. That was one piece. Onderon likely would want defensive backs in return. Well, the Senators had plenty of those to trade away. Zumarooroo, who had been demoted during the season, hadn’t fit in the Senator attack, but had some talent. Doon’sun had struggled the last two seasons, but the Crazy Dragons needed some veteran experience in their Back 6. He had that experience, including a 268 title. His value was dropping the longer the Senators held onto him, so Gark had to move to Weequay now as part of a package deal. Next up was Myles Tormera, whom had a few decent seasons with the Senators. He would have been cut anyways because of his salary demands, so it was time to move him as well. This brought Gark to the prospect list. Ginkel Rey’ban could go to Onderon. He wasn’t a top prospect, but he was a decent one. Would this be enough to sway Poland towards making a deal?

After a few minutes of deliberation, Gark called the Onderon front office. Poland was feisty as expected, and Gark had to try and sweet-talk the deal. Poland liked the idea of getting some veteran half backs in return for Leed, but wasn’t so sure about Rey’ban.

Gark looked at his other prospects. He could move a forward prospect, such as Ganlin Costa or Zoobel Ra. One of them might be a nice addition for Onderon. Both were stuck behind full casts at the Elite League level, and might fetch some value in a trade. Gark finally mentioned Ra to Poland, and she seemed to like that idea. The Whipid had done a nice job on Thyferra the prior two seasons despite not being the first option on offense, and had played for the Senators. Not only would Onderon gain a few veteran backs, but Matsoto and a forward prospect would help boost their offense. Ra was added to trade discussions immediately, but this led to another problem. Leed’s salary was now exceeded by the six players the Senators would send the other way, so they now had to get another player from Onderon.

After some haggling, it was decided that Michelle Doss, a corner back, would be thrown in with the deal. Poland said that the trade was fine, so Gark knew now was the time to strike. There was no use in letting the turbulent GM try to change her mind. He thanked Poland for talking trade, but not before he sent in the trade to the League offices. When the trade was sent in, Gark knew he had a call to make . . .

Onderon

The comlink on the endtable rang softly, filling the bedroom with its sound. Jenna Leed stirred and reached out for the device, almost knocking it off the table as she went. Finally she gripped the communicator, and she looked at the caller identity. She didn’t recognize the number, but she flipped it on anyways. “Hello?”

“Hello, Jenna?” came a voice from the other end of the line. “This is Gark S’rily from the Coruscant Senators. We’ve met before a couple years ago.”

“Oh, I remember you,” Jenna said. “You helped Zeke, didn’t you?”

“Pretty much,” Gark replied.

“What do you want?” Jenna asked. Why was S’rily calling her?

“My organization has just acquired you in a trade. Pack your bags and head out here to Coruscant. We have a few things to discuss.”

Jenna frowned. She had been traded by Onderon, the only pro team she had ever played for? What was Sam Poland’s game here? Obviously the GM wasn’t happy with her for something, and now she was headed off to Coruscant? She had been there a few times before, and liked some of the bustling street scenes. But it also shocked her to know that she had been traded.

“Alright,” Jenna said. “Let me tell my husband.”

“Oh, and Jenna?” Gark said, stopping the half back in her tracks. “Tell Zeke I said hello.”

Rolling her eyes, Jenna reached over and poked Zeke Barbosa. The half-Bith stirred and was suddenly awake. “What?” he asked, obviously not interested in talking.

“Just got a message that I’ve been traded,” Jenna said.

“Traded? To where?” Zeke asked, sitting up.

“Coruscant,” Jenna said. “Gark S’rily says ‘Hello’.”

Zeke thought this through for a few seconds. So his wife was now going to play for the Senators, under the direction of the Bothan who had helped him defeat his rogue father several years earlier. It was great that Jenna was going back to the Elite League; she deserved that chance. He might never return to the league, but at least she was going to get that elusive second opportunity. The Senators were going to get a gritty half back that didn’t take excuses, and just played smart Limmie. Her teammates on the Crazy Dragons had been marginal at best during stretches of the season, and she had carried the defense on her back. That kind of tenacity also stretched to her off-field persona. She had given birth to their daughter a month before the season a few years back, and had been back on the field at full capacity by Week Two. She was competitive, but also reasonable.

“That’s great,” he finally said. “You deserve it.”

“Thanks,” Jenna replied. She picked up her comlink once more. “I’ll be on the next shuttle out.”

“Good. We await your arrival,” Gark said before cutting the connection.

Jenna took a sigh. This was going to be a huge change not just for her, but for her family. She turned to Zeke. “I need to pack my bags, because I have a feeling that this is going to be an important meeting.”

Gark scribbled Jenna’s name down on his empty roster sheet. She would hopefully be the anchor on the half back line, a formidable player who could do some damage to opposing half forwards and anyone else foolish enough to come into her space. Being able to pry her loose from Onderon for a bunch of veterans with declining value and low-ceiling prospects seemed like a coup in his mind. However, Leed had to pan out. Otherwise, the trade would be a wash. Hopefully Doss would be an interesting addition as well from the corner spot. Perhaps she could fill in a reserve role on the team next season? That would fill two open roster spots on the team.

Now Gark looked to the rest of his roster. There were still upgrades that could be made on defense, but his team also had the #1 pick in the Draft. Some enticing prospects were available on the defensive side, so perhaps one of them would fit into this new defense?

And then he thought about Zeke. What a coup it would be to get both he and Leed on the same day. But would Lyle Kewman, the GM for the Rough Riders and potentially even more difficult to deal with than Poland, let his star goalie go? Well, the Bothan decided that he might as well give it a shot. He dialed to the Ryloth front office and got to speaking with Kewman. He was a tough man to deal with, Gark reasoned, but he could be broken if the deal was enticing enough. Hell, he had outright stolen Maximus Qorbus from this team in exchange for a low first-round pick and two washed-up forwards. Qorbus was now a two-time All-Star, and was the key to the Senator attack. Perhaps he could strike paydirt once again.

Kewman wasn’t interested in trading Zeke unless he got a very, very sweet deal. Obviously he was still upset about the Qorbus trade, Gark reasoned as he listened to the demands. A solid goaltender was necessary to replace the Bith, along with some other pieces. Gark looked over his roster and that of Thyferra once more. He hated to tear his development affiliate apart, but if he could boost the Senators’ chances of winning a few more games the next few seasons, it would be well worth it. Carder Blylock had played so-so in his first few Elite League games, but Calmerung D’jukk had been even worse in his time with the time. D’jukk was the top prospect at the corner position, but Blylock had the numbers and the starts to his credit. The Khil was the long-term solution, but the Zeltron was the more immediate contributor. So Gark tossed Blylock into the trade discussion. Kewman was intrigued by the prospect offer, but wanted more players.

“This franchise is built upon Barbosa,” he said at one point. “You can’t just steal him for low-level prospects.”

So Gark kept looking. Nihal Toggs had recently signed a one-year deal to stay with the team, but Jam Tarpals was the one the Senators wanted to keep along with prospect Ziva Kender. So Toggs’ name was tossed in as well. A young goaltender intrigued Kewman, but he still demanded more. Gark tossed in Chorba Hoosten, a midfielder prospect, and Kapp Pyston, a decent goaltender whose time with the team seemed up. Both had Elite League experience, and Kewman liked that. To finish the deal, Gark added Brancko Nagriski. The Barabel full back had skills, but had never quite panned out like the team had hoped. Kewman was intrigued, and the deal was done. He thought he was getting a lot in return, plus shedding Zeke’s contract, but Gark had the satisfaction of knowing that if Barbosa did much of anything, he would be victorious in this trade. A proven player versus a bunch of middling players and prospects? Once again, Kewman had skewered himself due to his own greed. Served him right.

Zeke watched as Jenna finished her packing. Leave it to a drama queen, he thought, to fill five bags with clothes and other assorted items for a trip out to Coruscant for a chat with her new organization. But he had learned to deal with it, so he just bit his lip and said nothing.

“I hope I have everything,” Jenna commented.

“Is that enough?” Zeke asked.

“Shut up,” Jenna said as she playfully punched Zeke in the arm. “I’m just a heavy packer, that’s all. Who knows what I’ll need when I get to Coruscant, or how long I’ll be there.”

“Hopefully not too long,” Zeke said. “I’d like to have you back here at some point.”

“I do too,” Jenna said before she kissed Zeke. “I’ll be in touch.” She hoisted the bags over her shoulder and headed out the door, leaving Zeke and the couple’s daughter left in the home. Zeke looked at the quarter-Bith child. She had some rough edges around the face like her father, and her head was slightly rounder than normal for a human, but otherwise she looked humanlike. Hopefully that would help her someday, Zeke thought as she picked her up. The young girl just laughed at being picked up by her father, and for a few moments Zeke played with his daughter as he waited for Jenna to leave.

But a comlink call came first. Putting his daughter down on the floor momentarily, Zeke answered the call.

“Barbosa, you’re shipping out,” Lyle Kewman said on the other end of the line.

“To where?” Zeke asked. This was odd. First Jenna had been traded, and now him.

“Coruscant. Tell Gark S’rily that he’s a fool for giving me so much in return for your sorry hide. He really valued you, and I don’t think you’re worth that much. I got so many prospects in return, and they’re going to make the fanbase forget all about you . . .”

“Shut the hell up, Kewman. I’m not taking any more of your crap, so you can shove it up your ass. I’m through with your organization,” Zeke said before hanging up. Wow, he had wanted to say that to Kewman for a long time, but never had the guts before now. The only reason he had been with Ryloth this long was because of his long contract, which still had two years left on it from an extension he had signed in 273. Picking up his daughter, he ran out to the driveway to intercept Jenna.

“Jenna! Jenna! I need to talk to you!” he said.

Jenna rolled down the speeder window. “What for?” she asked.

“S’rily got the Barbosa package deal. We’re both headed to Coruscant,” Zeke said excitedly. Gark was the exact opposite of Kewman. He took care of his players, and was a nice guy. The Bith looked forward to having the chance to revive his Elite League career with the Senators. This was his moment to shine.

TAG: No One

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Falene Trieste
    Kilmainham Brook, Prytis, Bakura
    Three months after the conclusion of the 276 ELL season

After Falene finished shutting the heavy wood door behind her, she turned to look at her mother who was standing in front of the great desk, finished in a similar color as the door, looking straight at her daughter. Falene found her eyes sliding away from her mother. Perhaps they had been habituated by an entire evening of looking at family portraits, but she found that her gaze rested on the painting that hung over the mantle in the study. It was of her grandfather, Fionn Dunross Trieste. The two-term Prime Minister was not presented in the trappings of government, but instead stood before the rolling hills and mountains. That landscape had been restored by his hand and steadfast determination. It was a fitting tribute to his legacy.

“What’s up?” Falene asked. They seemed like oddly unformal words for the occasion, but they were the first that came to mind.

“I wanted to show you something,” Kerry said. She came from the desk to the wall across from the hearth where a sheet covered an object. With two hands the white haired woman pulled the sheet off in one large sweep.

It was the Taoiseach’s own likeness that peered back, a younger likeness still in possession of all its tangerine-crimson hair. She looked straight out of the canvas, a small smile curving the corners of her mouth. In one hand, gently folded on top of the other in her lap, was a partially unfurled scroll that Falene thought was supposed to be evocative of legislation. Her mother seemed to be half-leaning, half-sitting against a desk, maybe the very one in the study. Flanking her, behind the desk, were two flags: one the dark blue field with bright gold circle of stars that represented Bakura; the other the bearing the emblem of the Republic. It was a picture of Kerry Wyvern Trieste at her height and in her prime.

“What do you think?” Kerry asked.

Falene looked at her mother. There was no certainty reflected in her face, framed by its whitened hair. It seemed to Falene that her mother was genuinely concerned with her daughter’s opinion.

“I like it,” Falene said, “It’s very you.”

“Good,” Kerry said, pleasure flooding her face, “This will hang for years in this house. It had to be good.”

“It is.”

Kerry nodded. She walked back to the desk. “I didn’t just bring you here to look at art.”

“Well, I’ve done plenty of that tonight,” Falene said, “Had to amuse myself in the Great Room while I waited.”

“Did you?” Falene asked with some amusement, “And what did you think?”

“About?”

“Anything.”

“I suppose if I thought anything, it’s that we come from pretty interesting stock,” Falene said, “Politicians next to bounty hunters next to both in one.”

“That is certainly true,” Kerry said, “certainly true.” She said nothing for a couple of seconds and silence descended upon the study.

“So what’s the other reason I’m here?” Falene ventured.

Kerry said nothing. She simply opened a drawer of the desk and pulled out a thick book of flimsi with sturdy covers. Even from halfway across the room Falene swore she could smell the musky and distinctive scent of old book.

She was also pretty darn sure she knew what it was.
    I hesitate slightly to include this music, given the context, which is obviously unsettling. However, I was well aware of this association when I chose the motto of the Trieste family and leave it to you if you would like the accompaniment. In no way is this an endorsement nor an equivocation of my characters with the values represented therein. However, for those who follow the Triestes, there may indeed be something unsettling about them and their long history. It all depends on what you see when you look at them.

“Is that the family Fulcum?” Falene asked.

“It is. We keep it in a deposit box on Empress Teta. It survived the Sith destruction there,” Kerry said, “After all, if you can trust a banker on Empress Teta, who can you trust?” Kerry smiled at the witticism, but the smile faded from her face quickly as she placed the book on the desk.

“It is time for this book to fulfill its sacred purpose to the Noble House.”

Falene’s heart skipped a beat. She found herself unable to ask the question, to confirm that this was happening. Her mother, however, saved her the trouble.

“When Niall Trieste founded the Noble House of Trieste, he set down certain rules by which we are bound by blood and the Force,” Kerry said, “among them that the Noble House would be led by a Taoiseach who would control the property and assets of the Noble House completely. The Taoiseach could not divide that property but pass it on in full to his or her successor. At the end of his or her service, a Taoiseach is entitled to a stipend, not to exceed the income from a tenth of the Noble House’s property, for the rest of his or her life in recognition of his or her services and leadership of the Noble House.

“And the Taoiseach has the sole right to name, from the descendants of Niall Trieste and their spouses, the next Taoiseach of the Noble House of Trieste.”

Kerry picked up the Fulcrum and motioned Falene forward.

Falene didn’t move.

“Mom, this is nuts,” she said.

“Falene, you have earned this,” Kerry said.

“Mom…Mom, I’m not a politician. That’s not the life I want. My life is limmie,” Falene protested.

“Niall Trieste was not a politician,” Kerry said, “Saraid Trieste was not a politician. Niall Dunross Trieste was not a politician. My father spent most of his life outside of politics. You know these things.”

“Mom, no. Declan is a Senator. He’s the next leader of this family,” Falene said.

“No, he isn’t,” Kerry said with more force than Falene expected, “I love you brother with all my heart and hope for great things from him, but he is not fit to be Taoiseach of the Noble House.”

Falene felt a panic rising in her chest more frantic than she’d ever experienced in her life. It was greater than any jitters she’d ever felt before a limmie game, even a playoff game or a championship game.

“No, Mom, I can’t be the Taoiseach. I’m only 25,” Falene said.

“And I am already more proud of you than I ever thought possible,” Kerry said and it seemed like her mother literally shone brighter as she spoke these words, “Whatever your own misgivings, know that it is part of being human, perhaps even sentience, that we never feel ready for the great moments in our lives.”

“You always were,” Falene said.

“Your grandfather became Taoiseach in the middle of the greatest war of the last two centuries and he had spent his entire life ducking that responsibility until that point,” Kerry said, “And the day I became Chancellor, my joy was equaled only by my terror at the sudden realization of exactly what I’d gotten into. Falene, one of the most important lessons I’ve learned is that half of being an adult is faking it. Most other beings don’t figure out that you don’t know what you’re talking about and pretty soon you do know what you’re talking about.”

Falene asked the only question she could at this point. “Why me?”

“It’s no secret that of all the possessions of the Noble House, the most precious to me is the Miners. Being the owner of that team for the last 24 years, through four championships, has, short of the time I spent with you, your brother, and your father, been one of the greatest joys of my life. Declan likes the Miners, but he well never love them as I do—or as you do. To him, the Miners are a projection of what makes this House great. To us…they are something beyond words. To me, they are everything that makes Bakura, not this family, great. They are the beating heart of our homeworld, of our people. I can only imagine what the Miners mean to you as someone who has competed on the field, who has been raised to the pinnacle of the sport, whose name will live on the Galactic Cup of Limmie for all eternity.

“Part of the Taoiseach’s oath, written by Niall himself, is that you bind the Noble House to Bakura and her interests. That is why your grandfather sunk almost the entire fortune of the Noble House into the reconstruction of Bakura after the war. That was, in his mind, his greatest legacy and why in that portrait—” Kerry indicated the one on the wall, “—he chose as his background the landscape he brought back to life.

“Falene, that is what makes one fit to be Taoiseach. Not political achievement, not prowess of arms, but love of our homeworld.

“The moment I saw you, crowned with edelweiss, lifting the Galactic Cup over your head, lifting Bakura just as surely, I knew you were the next Taoiseach.”

“Why now, Mom?”

“Events have been set in motion for which I cannot own the Miners. Based on Niall’s oath and its provision not to divide the property, I can no longer be Taoiseach.

“Falene, it is time.”

Falene knew that those words carried more than one meaning. Her heart pounded as she stepped forward and placed her right hand on the Fulcrum with the lightest touch she could manage. The book seemed to have a gravitational force all its own, drawing her palm into its thick nerf hide cover. Maybe it was just a symbol of the Noble House and its traditions, but it was a powerful symbol all the same. Falene took a deep breath as her mother began.

“Do you, Falene Trieste, swear before your Creator in the presence of Kerry Wyvern Trieste, ninth Taoiseach of the Noble House, to guide the Noble House of Trieste faithfully, to uphold its interests above all else, to further bind the Noble House to Bakura and her interests, to assume all debts and obligations outstanding upon the Noble House, to keep the Triestes as the first house, the Noble House, of Bakura and to commit any deed necessary to vanquish and destroy any and all enemies of the Noble House of Trieste?”

Falene paused and took a deep breath.

“I do so swear before my Creator,” Falene said.

Kerry set the Fulcrum down on the desk and opened the front cover. She extended a pen to Falene and beckoned for her to step forward. There, in ink, were the names of all nine Taoiseachs of the Noble House in their own hands.

Niall Trieste 5 ABY
    Fionn Trieste 38
    Amergin Trieste 70
    Saraid Trieste 105
    Niall Dunross Trieste 110
    Nevan Trieste 142
    Lennon Trieste 175
    Fionn Dunross Trieste 208
    Kerry Wyvern Trieste 252

Falene took the pen and signed not her signature—that had been rendered illegible by countless autographs—but a halting, inelegant script:

Falene Trieste 276

“Congratulations, Taoiseach,” Kerry said, extending her hand, “Good fortune to you.”

Falene accepted it and then pulled her mother into an embrace. “I’ll do you proud.”

“You already have,” Kerry said, hugging her daughter back. They pulled apart. “Before we go any further, there is one matter you need to know about as a Taoiseach.”

“What? Is it the money?” Falene asked, “Is something wrong?”

“I doubt it,” Kerry said, “But see your Uncle Ronan as soon as you can to get a handle on that. He can continue managing the finances for the House if you want. I’ve always felt that he charges an honest and respectable fee for his services. No, this is a matter only a Taoiseach should know about.”

Kerry turned the Fulcrum over to place its back cover up. She opened the cover to show the three half credit chips set in wax. Two were united with the inscription, Niakara Kayl’hen, Commissioner of Elite League Limmie and then below it Redeemed 276 ABY. Beneath the lone half was Beskaryc Taab, Manda’lor.

“Beskaryc Taab received a favor from me once,” Kerry said, “and in return he pledged a future favor to me as Taoiseach.” She tapped her finger against the half credit chip. “Taab pledged that any Manda’lor would honor the bearer of this half credit chip with that return favor. Use it as you will, if at all, but I advise you to use it wisely. A favor from the Manda’lor is not a thing to be squandered.”

Falene nodded. “So as Taoiseach I get to know all the secrets?”

“Yes.”

“Then tell me why you can no longer be owner of the Miners,” Falene said, “You love them. You would only give them up for something else.”

Falene knew that her mother, who had so much respect for the institutions of the family, would tell her. Kerry would tell the tenth Taoiseach of the Noble House of Trieste whatever she wanted to know.

And she did.

TAG: CPL_Macja and Vehn specifically because this has an indirect impact on some of their current and former characters

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Ava Killenger
    Tatooine

Tatooine was hot, dry, and full of blowing sand. Ava hated every second of having to be on this Maker-forsaken chunk of rock, and the game hadn’t even started yet. Her Thyferra Force were up against the Sandskimmers, and it would be a worthless game for all intents and purposes. The League promised a certain number of credits depending on performance in this game. Ava liked credits, but she wasn’t so sure about this playoff system. The Force had been knocked out of the playoffs that meant something in the last week of the season, after such a torrid start, and then were forced to come here to play for a few more credits. Money didn’t buy you happiness when you were forced to play for 48 minutes on Tatooine. Besides, why did they have to play for credits that they should have gotten from their regular season performance? What was the point of having to win a game to get the promised credits from a long season? It just made no sense, credits or not. The League Commissioner obviously never had to sweat it out here on Tatooine. That much she knew.

Any observer of the Force likely had to check the roster out to see who was still playing and who wasn’t. With the upheaval on the Coruscant Senator roster, it seemed like new faces were everywhere. Players who had never started an LFL game in their life were now expected to play heavy minutes today because of all the call-ups. Ava wasn’t too impacted by the call-ups, but it felt odd not to have Zoobel Ra at the corner. Now someone else was there, a complete shock to her system.

“Why in the hell would anyone want to live here?” Ynisse Zalt, the Twi’lek half forward, asked as the team walked onto the pitch. “It’s so damn hot!”

“Blame the frakking Starkillers for having an affiliate here,” Reid Livingstone said. He had played several seasons for the Force and for the Senators, and had been here before. “Why they couldn’t have just let this franchise go to a lower league, I don’t know.”

Ava could feel the twin suns beating down on her skin as she looked across the field. The stadium here was nice; she had heard the old one had been much worse. Of course, everything was relative in this league, because what was nice for Tatooine might not be so fancy for Thyferra. Ava didn’t particularly like Thyferra’s humid environment, but it was leaps and bounds better than this frakking sandlot.

“The opposition will try to use the heat to their advantage,” Jed Ortmeyer, the head coach, said. “We need to make sure that we wear them down as much as they do us. Forwards, keep doing what you were all year. We were effective when we could let the half line wreak havoc. Corners and fulls need to feed the halves the ball. They will carry us again today. Defense . . . good luck. Not our season by any means, so do what you can. We’re almost done with this year.”

Ava strode out to her spot on the field. She could see sand particles between the blades of grass as she stood there. What a crappy venue this was. Shaking her head in disbelief, she stared down the half back across from her. One of them would be walking away with credits in their pockets for fifth place, the other for sixth place. Given the conditions right now, the first thing Ava knew she would buy with her “winnings”, if you could call getting the crap beaten out of you in this sport as such, was a fan, a nice motorized one. Then she would use it to keep herself cool in the heat.

The ball was kicked off, and the game began. The battle for credits was underway.

TAG: Runjedirun (for the LFL game), jcgoble3 (ask, and ye shall receive)

Vehn, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Maxson Foress has agreed to return to Ralltiir and take the assistant coach position
    • Lucie Vigo announces retirement from Starkillers’ ground breaking dance team
    • Evis Kunat (Zabrak, Male, Half Back) retires from the Coruscant Senators
    • Wylega Persnor (Cathar, Female, Corner Forward) also retires from the Senators
    • Salis D’aar Times reports legal filings in Bakuran county court indicate Miners owner Kerry Trieste has transferred ownership of Bakura Miners to her daughter, center half back Falene Trieste
    • Elite League Limmie 276 season awards tonight at the Oyu’baat cafe in Keldabe
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik Jedi Gunny Runjedirun

18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Martin Vigo

There was no time to lick our wounds from the loss to the Monarchs. With blessings from myself, the rest of the coaching staff and her players Gwynn Reeser left for Corellia the day after the game to interview for the head coaching position. Knowing that chances were good she would be offered the job I had already asked Till to give me names of anyone he was interested in working with. His list was short and at the top was that of Maxson Foress.

Coach Foress had not been an easy man to find. He had left the game of Limmie and the planet to try and save his marriage just over 4 years ago. His attempts to save his marriage had proven futile. I found him on Naboo where he had returned to coaching Limmie. Not on the stage one would have expected to find a former ELL coach though. He was an offensive coordinator at a secondary school. What was not surprising was that the school had the best ranked offense on the planet and had won its championship game two years in a row.

When I made the first call to Naboo Foress seemed shocked to see me on the other side of the line. “Mr. Vigo, you are the last person I ever expected to be calling me.”

“I suppose you heard I bought the Starkillers?” I asked.

“Well yes, of course I heard.”

“And I’m sure you also heard that Corellia is after our assistant coach for their head coaching vacancy.”

“Yes, I heard that too.”

“Well since I believe that we will be in need of a replacement for her. Why is it such a surprise that I’d be calling you?” I asked.

“It’s just that, oh never mind.” He paused for a moment. “How’s Trey? I was so happy to hear he was free again. Not to mention to hear he had been given the chance to coach. He was one of my best players. Losing him was a shock. I feel awful for not knowing he was innocent.”

“Till is well. He is working overtime right now to prepare the team for the upcoming game against the Monarchs. It’s upon his suggestion that I’m calling you.” I cleared my throat. “We were hoping you might be interested in the assistant coaching position for the Starkillers. At very least a front office job or a coordinator position, that is if you’re interested in returning to the league. I think though, more than likely the assistant job is going to be open for you,” I hinted.

Again his eyes popped open in shock. He sat back in his chair. “That’s a hard offer to pass up,” he said with a whistle.

“Then why would you pass it up?” I asked.

He shrugged, thought for a moment and said “You’re right, why would I pass it up. When do you need me to report?”

“An announcement will be made at the end of the season. Please keep this conversation confidential until that time.”

“Of course,” he said. “I understand; your season’s not over yet. Good luck to you.”

A week later I was able to call congratulate and officially welcome him back to the organization. Immediately after that I sent word to the team so our players would have a good 24 hour notice before the press release. The veterans who had played for Foress in the past were all very excited about the news.

Then I got an unexpected call from Lucie. “I’m quitting the dance team,” she stated.

“What brought this on?” I asked hoping she would tell me another baby was coming. Deep down though I knew it was too early for that news. Something else was up I just hoped there wasn’t trouble between her and Ty.

“It’s something I’ve been considering for a while. Now’s just the right time, that’s all.” She answered.

I didn’t want to nor did I have the time to press for details. I had to pack. Till, Jul and I were headed to Tatooine for the consolation play-off game against the Thyferra Force. Before the game we had a quick stop to make in Mandalore where I had arranged for Richard to meet up with us. We would only be stopping long enough to attend the Awards Ceremony. The reports of the conditions in the unfinished hotels made sleeping on ship sound like a good idea. Besides showing up there was little more than a formality for us. I didn’t expect any of us to go home with any of the awards we had been nominated for. We were still a new franchise in the league and even if voting was not supposed to be swayed by post season play we still had yet to win a game in post season. I was just fastening my travel bag when Tomas appeared in the doorway with a long face.

“I can’t believe you’re going to go watch a Limmie game without me. I thought you said it was important I watch Limmie games.”

“It will be on the holo,” I reminded him. “Besides you have school.”

“You would have let me miss school to go to the cup game if the Starkillers had advanced though, right?”

“Yes,” I conceded “Unfortunately that’s not how things worked out.”

“So what’s the difference? The game on Tatooine is important too.” He was leaning in the doorway with a pleading look in his eyes.

“I’m sorry things didn’t work out the way we had all hoped.” I said approaching him and taking a knee to be at eye level with him.

“Your letting Richard get out of classes,” he tried as he avoided eye contact and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Whoa,” I said holding up my hand to stop him from further debate. “This isn’t negotiable. I understand why you don’t like it, but you are staying here.” He kicked the doorframe in anger and turned to leave. Quickly standing, I reached out grabbed his shoulder and spun him around. “I want you to watch the Force play the Sandskimmers,” I told him sternly as I pointed my finger in his face. “Take notes if you have to, because when I get back we are going to discuss who played well and who could have played better. I don’t just want a list of names for each category either. I’m looking for details, understand?”

He was biting his lip in anger as he nodded in reply. “You be on your best behavior for your mother, if I get a bad report when I get back I’m pulling you from the Limmie team.”

“That’s not fair!”

“I’ll decide what’s fair.” I said sternly. Then softened as much as I could, “I’m about to leave the planet for several days. Let’s not part in anger, okay?”

He stood there with his arms crossed. “Have a good trip,” he said coldly before storming off.

Before it got any later I decided to go up and say my farewells to Spencer. He sat at his desk his data pad in hand. I knocked as I entered. The room was in shambles. There was Limmie gear and clothing strewn all over the floor. Tomas’ bed sat unmade. “You need me to get on your brother about cleaning up in here? “ I asked.

“It’s okay,” he said, though I didn’t believe him.

“There’s an empty room across the hall if you don’t want to share anymore. And I have a feeling a few more will be opening up soon if you’d rather have one of those.”

“Is Bat really going to move out?” He asked.

“Not right away, but by next semester I think so, yes.”

“Fortune hasn’t proposed to Justyne yet? What makes you so sure he will?”

“Because he asked for her hand, I think he wanted to propose after a win. He’s just looking for the right moment. It’s only a matter of time,” I told him.

“Going to be empty in the house,” he said sadly.

“Perhaps, nothing is set yet. Don’t feel obligated to share this room though. It looks like Tomas is taking advantage of you here. So, what are you working on?” I asked nodding towards his data pad.

“Economics,” he grumbled.

“Impressive,” I told him.

“Boring is what it is,” he responded.

“I know these classes are dull right now. Just you wait until you get to put them to use. It’ll be worth it, I promise.”

“How?”

I stepped over some clothes on the floor and sat down on Spencer’s bed. Suddenly I had an idea. “Would you be interested in sitting in with me on some conference calls when I get back next week?” His expression was confused. “I’m going to be calling Ylesia to see if they are interested in a pre-season game. I think you might find it interesting how all these business and language classes are going to pay off for you.”

“You’re going to negotiate with a Hutt? You’re braver than I thought,” he said in disbelief. From the expression on his face though, I knew I had gotten his attention.

“I’ll probably never talk the Hutt,” I conceded. “I’ll probably have to make several calls just to get through to someone who will negotiate for us. What do you say? Sound like something you’re interested in?”

“I guess.”

“Good, well I just came up to say good-bye. I’ll be leaving first thing in the morning. Don’t study too hard while I’m gone.” I said with a warm smile.

“Bye Dad. Good luck at the awards ceremony.”

That evening I sat on my bed and admired my wife’s figure as she stretched in and out of poses on our bedroom floor. “Did Lucie tell you she was quitting the dance team?” I asked.

“No. I wouldn’t worry about it though. She’s probably just focused on getting pregnant again.” She finished and climbed up on to the bed to sit next to me.

“So she’s not pregnant yet?” I asked.

“No, but they’re trying.” She said with a sly smile. “Our house is going to get empty again soon, you want try?”

“No.”

“Can we at least practice?”

“Yes,” I agreed reaching over to turn off the glow panel.

Tag: Jedi Gunny Bardan_Jusik

Vehn, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Coruscant Team HQ

“Have a seat,” Gark said as he motioned his hand to two seats on the opposite side of the conference table. Zeke Barbosa and Jenna Leed nodded and sat down. The two had just arrived earlier in the day, and despite getting lost on the way here, somehow made it in time. Gark wasn’t too worried; Coruscant’s super-busy hyperlanes were hard to navigate the first time around. These two would learn in time. “I take it that I need no introduction?” he said with a smirk. “So, the reason I brought both of you in today is just to fill you in on the state of the organization, where we’re headed, and all that good stuff. Any questions before I begin?”

“You still masquerading around as Superbothan?” Zeke asked as he slumped back in his chair.

“Gave that up some time ago,” Gark said hastily. It was an outright lie, but no need to bring up his recent activities as the Caped Crusader right now.

“I don’t think I buy that,” Zeke said.

“Anyways, moving on . . .” Gark said, quickly changing the subject. He hadn’t brought Zeke in to talk about the state of the former Superbothan Project; he was still on the fence about continuing that. But Limmie was the order of business today. “How is married life treating you?”

“It’s going fine,” Zeke said. “Sometimes there are lumps, but you know that. We work through ‘em.”

“I’m just glad that my big, strong, loveable man is going to be playing on the same team as me,” Jenna said. Gark could see why Zeke liked her so much; she was a beautiful lady. Not as attractive as his own wife, obviously, but Leed had good looks.

“You’re just happy to know that I’ve got your back. Remember, I’m gonna be your back-door man,” Zeke said with a mischievous grin. Jenna punched him in the shoulder, and Zeke shied away a little bit. “What? It’s just a joke.”

“Not the place for that,” she hissed at him.

“Sor-ry,” the Bith said. “So, what do you need to say?”

“Talking about the defense,” Gark said. “In order to get both of you via trade, I had to give up a lot of veteran backs. I hope you can prove that I won both trades, starting this year.”

“We’ll give it a shot,” Zeke said. “Not gonna be easy.”

“Nothing ever is,” Gark said with a sigh. That was an understatement given recent events. “But losing those veterans means that I don’t have a lot of returning defense to work with. We have Christine Gamble, who is our incumbent at . . . left corner, I believe . . . doesn’t matter. She’s going to start, obviously, but then there’s a black hole right now on the roster at the half back spots. I have some veterans who should provide depth, but I need someone who can get out there and give me forty or forty-five good minutes every game. The backs I gave up weren’t starting material anymore, so I gave them up because I believe you, Ms. Leed, can be the answer. I need a half back who can hit, who can play hard-nosed Limmie, and be smart. I’ve seen you play. You’re a whiz. You know your position well, and can do whatever is asked of you. I ask of you now to give me every bit of the effort you gave to Onderon.”

“I can do that,” Jenna said with a nod.

“Zeke, I haven’t had a solid goalie in years. The position was a nightmare last year, and I banked on you being able to shore it up. I know you’re a little older than you were when we last chatted, but given by Ryloth’s performance this season in the Premier League, I think you still have some gas left in the tank. Give me that effort, and we should be fine. Hold down the area between the pipes, and I’ll build the defense to make sure that you stay upright.”

“Who else is on the defense?” Jenna asked.

“Aside from Gamble . . . Reena Wyley, reserve back, Tank Bratter, reserve back . . . might go full back this year . . . Tenegat’s a young corner . . . Gundor is too young . . . Ortho Dyhon might stick around. He’s a veteran. But the point is that they don’t scare anyone. I need someone who can put fear in opposing forwards, and who can give me maximum effort every week. That’s your job. We’re still building the defense, but I need to know that you can clamp down on your spot in the rotation. You’ve got big shoes to fill at both left and right half, so try and do your best under the circumstances.”

“I will,” Jenna said. “Didn’t you make another move not too long ago?”

“We picked up a corner back and midfielder from Hapes. The middie was an All-Star a year or two ago, so she has credentials. Both of you were All-Stars in your careers. Gamble has been named to consecutive All-Star teams. So we’re building quite a cadre of good players. But the only question is if you all can play together as a unit. If not, forget it. This team either works together, or not at all. I need deep commitment from both of you to turn this thing around. We can do great things with this roster, but only if you both buy in to the concept and do your jobs on the pitch. That means not always making the biggest play that will get you on the highlight reels, but playing smart team Limmie. Make the extra pass, tackle with good form . . . do what you need to do.”

“Who will I be playing across from, at least right now?” Jenna asked.

“Not sure yet,” Gark replied. “However, I am in the midst of making a deal that should help change things in that half back line.”

“You never miss a beat, do you?” Zeke asked.

“Try being the GM of a big market team who not only missed the playoffs, but didn’t even get a nomination for a season award,” Gark said in a matter-of-fact tone. “There’s a lot of pressure on me to bring this team back into order, and I’m bringing all of you in to help get us back to the Cup Final, and to win it this time. Zeke, you’ve been there and won it before. I’ve won it twice. But you always want to win it again. That’s what I’m trying to do here. Win that title again.”

“I understand,” Zeke said. “So, who is this new player you’re bringing in, or players?”
    “You’ll just have to find out,” Gark said with a sly smirk.

“Not Fravid, I hope,” Zeke said with a frown.

“Of course not. Not after what he did to us,” Gark said. “Hopefully he’s still in jail. But I think my new acquisition should help us rebuild this defense.”

“I hope you know what you’re doing,” Jenna commented. “This is a lot of star power to bring in in just a few weeks.”

“If I knew what I was doing, I probably would never have gotten this far,” Gark said, that same smirk on his face. “Now, if there aren’t any more questions, I think we can call this meeting adjourned.” He stood up, and the two players also stood up. “Good luck, and I will see you both later,” Gark said. He showed them both out.

As the two of them walked back to their speeder after picking their daughter up from the daycare attendant, Jenna had to comment. “I hope he has a plan for all these moves. I’m so used to being the star that . . . having other good players around will take getting used to.”

“But we’re back in the Elite League. That’s enough incentive for me,” Zeke said. “But, if you need more incentive . . . how about we turn in a little early tonight?” He winked, or at least Jenna thought the Bith winked. It looked more like a facial twitch. She smiled.

“That’s the kind of incentive I like,” she said.

When the two players had left, Gark sat back down at his desk. He could see this defense shaping up, but something still bothered him. What if this didn’t work out? What if the team flopped again? He pushed these thoughts of his head, but knew that he would come back to them later on. Hopefully he wouldn’t need to worry.

TAG: No One

Trading Block:
    Will Detra (Human, Male, Forward)
    Abbey Waters (Human, Female, Corner/Full Back)

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Sub-GM Post:

Here are your College Season Award Winners:

Ruy Gey Award for Best Goalkeeper:

Oola Ban [Oola'ban] (Twi'lek, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Agamar)

Grazo Award for Best Corner or Full Back:

Horst Penn (Human, Male, Full Back, University of Agamar)

Outlandi Award for Best Interior Defender:

Patti Meter (Human, Female, UC Bella Vistal)

Batkis Award for Best Midfielder:

George Wulson (Weequay, Male, Midfielder, University of Coruscant)

Bulitnekoff Award for Best Corner or Full Forward:

Doug Kraken (Quarren, Male, Corner Forward, Dac State University)

Lombardee Award for Best Interior Forward:

Emma Blanchard (Human, Female, Half Forward, University of Ryell Clemency Beasts)

Helmsman Nominees:

Genevieve Rokee (Zabrak, Female, Enarch Tech, Corner Forward)
    Patti Meter (Human, Female, Half Back, Citadel University of Anaxes)
    Oola Ban [Oola'ban] (Twi'lek, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Agamar)
    Nina Odette (Sullustan, Female, Full Forward, Druckenwell Technical University)

TAGS to CPL_Macja, Bardan_Jusik, Tim Battershell, Trieste, Vehn, jcgoble3, Runjedirun

21. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Bankers Mansion, Cambrielle, Ralltiir
    Solo Conference Finals, Monarchs at Starkillers

3… 2… 1… BUZZZZZZ!!!

Vesper could scarcely believe it, “We won… WE WON!!!!” Thrusting her hands to the sky, Vesper ran to the center of the field. She jumped onto Shae Bellweather’s back, who carried her to the middle of the converging Monarchs. From her vaulted vantage point, she could see Romo standing stoically on the sidelines while the rest of the coaching staff was celebrating as much as the players on field.

“Alright, put me down Shae,” when her feet hit the ground, she had everyone’s eyes, “Come on. Line up to shake hands.” Once Loren Jul, team captain and last of the Starkillers, reached Vesper and shook hands, the Monarchs gathered once more at midfield. The Monarchs had only witness what was to come first hand once before, in 271 when the Miners defeated them on their way to a Galactic Cup.

The PA system crackled to life, “Gentlebeings, please welcome to the field Elite League General Counsel Esther Gondorf for the presentation of the Solo Conference Championship Trophy.” There was a smattering of applause from around the Mansion. All of the Monarch faithful that made the journey were still in the stands, getting as close to the field as security allowed. Meanwhile, there were a handful of ELL diehard fans in Starkillers gear that stayed despite their team losing.

Slowly Gondorf walked out onto the field, carrying the Solo Conference trophy. Two Squibs in Elite League vests scurried behind her with a table for her to set the trophy upon. One pulled a small microphone out of his vest pocket and handed it to Gondorf.

“Let me begin by congratulating the Ralltiir Starkillers on a hard fought season in a tightly contested Solo Conference,” A loud whoop went up from the Ralltiir fans walking out the door, “And now, to accept the Solo Conference Championship Trophy, captain Vesp…” Vesper started shaking her head, cutting Esther off midname, and pointed emphatically to the player to the right of her, “Allow me to correct myself. Accepting the Solo Conference Championship Trophy, on behalf of the Rydonni Prime Monarchs, is goalkeeper Abe Cynour.”

Shocked, Abe unwrapped himself from Cali Royd’s all-encompassing embrace and walked over to table. Vesper was not aware of how close her top middie and keeper were until that moment. She leaned in closer to whisper in Cali’s ear, “We need to talk later.” Exchanging giggling grins the two teammates turned their attention back to trophy presentation. Gondorf looked over at Abe, asking something that Vesper couldn’t quite make out, and he simply shook his head.

Once a couple of holos were taken of the two of them and the trophy, Abe called the rest of the team over and there were a few more holos taken. Vesper turned around and looking at the rest of the squad, “Ready?”

“YEAH!” they answered in unison as they took off running towards the stands. Anywhere Monarch fans had gathered at least one player climbed into their midst to personally celebrate with them.

March along, sing our song, with the Army of Sixteen
    Count the gray, count the blue, who have fought for vict’ry
    We're the Monarchs and proud of our name
    We're the Monarchs and proudly proclaim

We will fight through the night,
    We’ve been built by the people’s might,
    And the Monarchs go rolling along
    Proud of all we have done,
    Fighting till the match is won,
    And the Monarchs go rolling along

Then it's Hi! Hi! Hey!
    The Monarchs are on their way.
    Count off the cadence loud and strong
    ("Two! Three!")
    For where e’er we go,
    You will always know
    That the Monarchs Go Rolling Along.

Meanwhile the Squibs in ELL vests loaded the Solo Conference trophy into a case where it remained until the team returned to Rydonni Prime. But first they had a date with the Smugglers on Mandalore to settle a little matter called the 121st Galactic Cup Final.

to be continued...

TAG: Runjedirun

Vehn, Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Frokabukk re-signs with the Starkillers with a new 5 year contract
    • Rana Lel Dey (HB) traded to Coruscant for Malida Worody (HH) and Jenacca (HF)

Oyu'baat cafe, Keldabe, Mandalore
    Galactic Cup Final Week

“Welcome, welcome one and all,” Niakara Kayl’hen said, “Tonight Elite League Limmie celebrates the accomplishments of the 276 season here in Keldabe, on one of the planets most passionate about the sport of limmie, mesh’geroya—”

“Oya! Oya! Oya!” a large section of the audience chanted.

“Like I said, most passionate indeed,” Kayl’hen said with a smile, “We begin tonight with the award for the rookie of the year, the Ingbrand Award. Our candidates this season are Jonathan Lieznam of the Mando’ade Mercs—”

“Oya! Oya! Oya!”

“—Bella Starr of the Rydonni Prime Monarchs—”

A large section of cheers here for the member of the Finalist team.

“—and Erin Windreaver of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers.”

Big rowdy cheers here as well, though an undercurrent of boos ran beneath them.

“And the winner is…
    “…Erin Windreavers, Nar Shaddaa.”

“The Grames Award for the best general manager in the League has three outstanding nominees this year. They are Katilyn Vehn, Nar Shaddaa Smugglers—”

Cheers here again, but less grumbling from the Mandalorians too.

“—Martin Vigo, Ralltiir Starkillers; and Aebett Zargana, Euceron Storm,” Kayl’hen finished. Applause for both of the latter, but with less fans on hand not quite as hearty as for Kaitlyn. “The winner is…
    “…Martin Vigo, Ralltiir Starkillers.”

“The Duchess Eldin Award was founded to promote sportsmanship and athletic achievement. Its winners have already become some of the most recognizable names in limmie, proof that it is not enough to win, but to play the game well. The nominees are Alana Glencross of Bakura—”

A low boo murmured through the chamber.

“—Vesper Lynd of Rydonni Prime—”

A loud cheer here.

“—and Porrsk Rett’ii of Euceron are our nominees,” Kayl’hen said, “The winner of the Duchess Eldin is…
    “…Vesper Lynd, Rydonni Prime Monarchs.”

“This year I am proud to be the first to hand out our latest award. It does not yet bear the name of any limmie legend, but it speaks for itself. It is the Comeback Player of the Year Award. It recognizes the player who has overcome obstacles in their pursuit of the game of limmie. The nominees for this award are ones who could have given up and thrown in the towel. Instead, they kept playing and have proven the doubters wrong,” Kayl’hen said.

“The nominees are Abe Cynour, Rydonni Prime Monarchs—”

Cheers for the keeper erupted.

“—Jayla Leed, Nar Shaddaa Smugglers—”

Cheers and scattered boos.

“—and Kasin Urdaaza, Ylesia Lightning. The winner is…”
    “…Kasin Urdaaza, Ylesia Lightning.”

“The Langann Award recognizes the best head coach in the Elite League. All of our nominees are worthy of this award. They are Romo Benedict Crawley III of the Monarchs—”

Loud cheers once more.

“—Tover Micjaa of the Smugglers—”

Cheers and very decided boos for the Smuggler great.

“—and Trey Till of the Starkillers. Our winner is…”
    “…Trey Till of the Ralltiir Starkillers.”

“The Zumtak Award recognizes beings connected with Elite League Limmie teams who have demonstrated perseverance and dedication to the sport of limmie. Our nominees this year have all done just that. They are Niast Nan’lie of the Euceron Storm, Kaitlyn Vehn of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers—”

The expected Mandalorian salutation rumbled again beneath the Smuggler frenzy.

“—and Martin Vigo of the Ralltiir Starkillers. The winner is…”
    “…Martin Vigo of the Starkillers.”

“And finally, the ultimate award of the night. The Salbukk Award for the player judged to be most valuable to his or her team,” Kayl’hen said, “Our nomines are all outstanding, the cream of the Elite League crop. They are Loren Jul of the Ralltiir Starkillers, Mylessa McCloud of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers—”

Everyone knew what was coming—the mix of cheers and boos, which at this point was getting rather amusing.

“—and Kasin Urdaaza of the Ylesia Lightning. And the winner of the Salbukk Award is…”
    “…Mylessa McCloud of the Smugglers.”

“That concludes the 276 Elite League Limmie Season Awards. Congratulations to all our nominees and winners. We’ll see you all at the Final,” Kayl’hen concluded.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja jcgoble3 Runjedirun Vehn

23. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: Beskaryc Taab
    Meshla Vhetin, Manda'yaim

This was it, the Galactic Cup, and eyes around the galaxy were now on Manda'yaim. They had managed to salvage the situations with the preparations for the game, well mostly. Slabs of quick dry perma-crete had been laid for the barren sidewalk sections, with crews working three shifts under penalty of death should they fail to get the streets ready in time. The hotels too had been completed on time, though some media members and fans had been forced to migrate from room to room while their current ones were being re-wired for lighting. Only the hot water situation had never been fully rectified, and the source of the toxic "yellow water" had not yet been nailed down, but all in all things had turned out.

The game itself of course was sold out and Taab was pleased to see how many local fans had managed to secure tickets to the penultimate game. Now of course Taab mused, if only the weather would
    co-operate. It had started earlier that morning as a driving wind that kept the team flags which surrounded the stadium fully taut. Soon thereafter the rain started, and not a warm summer ran, but a cold hard hitting rain that chilled one to the bone. The Mandalorians of course didn't seem to mind, ensconced as they were in their armor. Taab of course had the added benefit of staying warm in the luxury box reserved for the commissioner (as host for the game he was afforded that). He did wonder how the aruetii fans would respond to such adverse conditions, but it didn't concern him.

The teams were led out onto the field, first the visiting Monarchs, who were met with wild cheering from not only their own fans but the Mandalorian faithful as well. On the enormous holo-tron overhead images from the previous Monarch's season played out for all to see. Soon thereafter the Smugglers were led out from the home locker room. At almost the same moment they hit the field the rain turned to a driving sleet that turned the already wet playing surface into a slippery quagmire of death. The Smuggler's too got the same holo-tron treatment, but the boos from the Mandalorian fans drowned it out. It was clear who they were pulling for, and the Meshla Vhetin, what should have been a neutral site for the Galactic Cup had become a hostile "home" for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. Taab had to wonder if they had the guts to pull out one last win here. Looking to the reporters that were watching with baited breath for the game to start, he began to wonder if he had the guts to do what he knew had to come next...

TAG: Trieste, CPL_Macja, Vehn.

OOC: Good luck to you both.

[​IMG]

Vehn, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Martin Vigo

It began with several cries of “Oya! Oya! Oya!” a phrase that would be repeated many times throughout the evening by the locals. Rookie of the year was awarded to Erin Windreaver. It was the obvious choice we all applauded politely. The very next award to be announced was the Grames Award. When I heard my name called I didn’t believe it. Richard smiled broadly “Way to go dad!” he said giving me a pat on the back. As I stood Jul and Till followed suit, they both reached out to shake my hand in congratulations before I headed up to the stage to receive the award.

Although it was a surprise it wasn’t the first honor I had received over the years. I walked confidently up to the stage received my award and a handshake from the commissioner. “This is unexpected” I said as I took my place behind the podium. “As a first year General Manager I am honored to have been considered for this award. I’d like to thank my family for planting the seed. It was my children that begged their old man to buy the team.” I took a moment and looked at Richard he smiled at me and I smiled back. “I’d like to thank the coaching staff, the players and every last being that put time in with this organization. From groundkeepers, to scouts, to food servers, there isn’t time enough in the galaxy to thank you all. Please know your hard work is appreciated.” I said smiling as I thrust the award into the air. Quietly I exited the stage and returned to my seat.

We sat respectfully as Vesper Lynd received the Duchess Eldin award. To my great relief Kasin Urdaaza won the Comeback Player of the year award. Abe Cynour had been one of the candidates and in my opinion it would have looked bad for our organization if he had been recognized this evening. The next award would be for coach of the year. I glanced across the table at Till who was trying to look nonchalant. “And the winner is Trey Till of the Ralltiir Starkillers,” the commissioner announced.

As he stood Jul and I did the same, in turn we each shook his hand in congratulations. He raised and lowered his shoulders before approaching the stage at quick pace. Obviously nervous he accepted the award and took his spot behind the podium. He took a moment to look at it. Placing it in his right hand and holding it out in front of his face. Then he looked out to the audience.

“Words can’t express what this means to me,” he began. “I want thank Ty Allin for believing in me when no else did.” He took a deep breath and continued. “I want to thank Martin Vigo for giving me a job. If it weren’t for him I doubt I could afford my own rent right now.” Again he paused this time a lone tear escaped his left eye. Quickly he brushed it aside. “I need to thank my assistant Gwynn Reeser. Good luck to you next season Reeser, you will be missed. Thank you to all of my players. And to the league for this great opportunity.” He made a hasty depart from the stage and returned to our table. When he got there it was obvious he was struggling not to break down.

He didn’t have much time to recover the Zumtak nominees were announced next. My name among them. “The winner is Martin Vigo of the Starkillers” the commissioner announced. Richard's jaw dropped open.

“Leave it to my dad,” he said with a laugh. “Two awards in one night.” I realized I was in a bit of trouble as I pushed back my chair to stand. I had nothing prepared for accepting a second award. Again we all exchanged handshakes before I made my way back to the stage.

“Now this,” I said with a chuckle “Is really unexpected.” I looked out at Richard he was waiting expectantly to hear what I was going to say. Suddenly I was nervous, it wasn’t a feeling I was familiar with. “I am honored to have been selected for this award. On this evening I would like to pledge to Starkiller fans that I will uphold the same integrity I have upheld this year going forward. This franchise is important to me as is my home planet of Ralltiir for which it represents. I will continue to build this franchise into something we can all be proud of.”

I turned and exited the stage. When I got back to the table I noticed Jul was visibly nervous. I realized her nomination was up next. Could we pull off a sweep? If any of us deserved an award it was Jul. She had been a part of this franchise since their days in the Alliance Bolo-Ball Conference. Her play on field and leadership of the team was second to none in the opinion of Till, her teammates and myself.

“And the winner of the Salbukk Award is Mylessa McCloud of the Smugglers.” The commissioner announced. A rookie, I wanted to hide my hardware as I watched Jul try not to break down. Tears came despite her best efforts. She wiped them away as inconspicuously as she could; her husband put a hand on her shoulder for support.

The organization had made out well. It was always nice to be recognized for my efforts, but as I left the hall that evening I pledged to oversee every move made this off season. Jul deserved a title. Jul deserved a Salbukk award and we only two more years to get her those things.

Tag: @ no one

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Starkillers lead ELL awards with Martin Vigo winning Grames & Zumtak
    • Vesper Lynd takes home second straight Duchess Eldin
    • Smugglers rookies take Salbukk and Ingbrand

What We Learned

Do you know what we learned? That when the Galactic Cup Playoffs start we don’t have a social life. They’re so awesome. We forget to write columns. The interns forget to write columns. We just have this massive ragers to celebrate our former colleague Arco getting his team to their first Final.

Agamar Packers – Things are quiet on Agamar. Too quiet… They’re definitely plotting something.

Bakura Miners – We totally didn’t see that Miners loss coming. A team with a bottom half defense losing their first playoff game? They were clearly supposed to go all the way.

Chandrila Patriots – The shareholders stand by Kether. That’s totally ridiculous. Clearly winning only one championship in three seasons is grounds for termination. That’s how HSN operates. Don’t win major journalistic prizes every two years? Fired.

Corellia Rebels – After disastrous Final hangover, the Rebels make the smart hire and go with a hot hand in Reeser. But will their new Selonian do better than the last one? She’s clearly not afraid to shake up the roster, getting firepower for a defensive stalwart.

Coruscant Senators – You don’t just trade for a big name all-star. That’s just a rule. Gark S’rily, of course, never breaks the rules so he traded for two big name all-stars. He never fails to surprise, does he?

Euceron Storm – We are making it official: with three straight Skywalker Conference appearances, the Storm are part of the Big 5. Gentlebeings, Euceron has arrived.

Hapes Consortium Buccaneers – The C-Bucs now have, without question, the hottest GM/head coach tandem in the league. Pun very much intended.

Mando’ade Mercs – Another last-team-out season for the Mercs. Well at least they can hold their heads high over the Galactic Cup Final! That’s going great. Now excuse us, we have to go check into our hotel rooms and take a long shower.

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers – Everyone knew that the Kaitlyn Vehn rebuild was destined for great things—especially us. We love being right. We can’t wait to see the Power Rankings fawn over her now.

Ralltiir Starkillers – Dare we call the Starkillers the best front office in the Elite League today. Yes, in the face of Kaitlyn Vehn, we dare. Like eagles. Like eagles…on pogo sticks!

Rydonni Prime Monarchs – So…about that bet where we said we’d go streaking through the set of Limmie Tonight during a live broadcast if any of us HSN reporters ever took a team to the Galactic Cup Final…that was a joke…right Arco?

Ylesia Lightning – Kasin, your greatness has now been appropriately honored—in part. We will never forgive McCloud for winning the Salbukk instead of you. Never. NEVER DO YOU HEAR US?!

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.