main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Christine Gamble
    Coruscant

My flight got in to the main depot early in the morning, probably around 0200 or so. After sleeping at the terminal for a few hours, I was finally up and around at about 0530 or so. There was a side of Coruscant that most didn’t see . . . no, it wasn’t the seedy nightlife, but instead the beginning of the day, with the beautiful rays of light that bounced off the tall skyscrapers and reflected every which manner. I was not too familiar with this portion of the day here, because I never had needed to be up this early for any reason. Any other day I would be spending sleeping.

I had come back to Coruscant to right my wrongs, to atone for my sins. The planet that had once been eating out of my hand was now turned against me; the galaxy was watching how my situation would be resolved. I knew that I had little, if no, leverage with the team or the fans, and that I would probably have to grovel not to be kicked off the team. It was funny what difference about a week made; I had gone from pissed off to suddenly very confused about my situation. But mostly I had felt lonely, very lonely, in my exile. I had turned my back on everything, and now I had to make up for those mistakes. It was my only option now, because I couldn’t hide forever.

I made my way into the Midtown district, to the one place I knew I could go for advice, and maybe a meal. The diner was closed, but the lights were on, so I decided to take a shot. Banging on the door with my fist, I hoped someone would answer it. Several moments passed before a droid came whizzing by, and I knocked again. It turned and went to the door.

“We are sorry, but the diner is closed right now,” it said in its automated voice.

“I need to talk to Tex,” I said through the door.

“He is busy,” the droid replied curtly.

“This is urgent,” I said.

Then, before the droid could say anything to the contrary, Tex, the owner of Dex’s Diner walked around the corner carrying several boxes. They were likely ingredients for the food that was to soon be prepared for the typical diner patrons. It wasn’t the greatest food, but at least it wasn’t terrible. I kinda liked the food; it reminded me of the good parts of my childhood and of college. The nutrition expert with the team never really understood why anyone would want to eat here, but they were just a stick in the mud, I figured.

I banged on the door again, and the Besalisk turned his head. He stood there stunned momentarily before putting the boxes down. “So, if it isn’t Christine Gamble,” he said, coming to the door. “You do know we’re closed, right?”

“I need to talk to you,” I said.

“Can’t refuse a patron,” Tex said, opening the door. I walked inside, and instantly was surrounded by the bright lights of the diner. The droid I have been conversing with whizzed off again, and I was alone with the owner. “So, what can I do for ya?” Tex asked. “You’ve been causing a lot of trouble in the media recently with your actions at the All-Star Game.”

“I know,” I said, downcast. “The media was eating me alive . . . I had to do something.”

“Sit down, I can whip ya up some grub,” Tex said. I obliged and sat down at the counter, and the Besalisk went into the back. He watched me from the service window as he worked. “We’ve all been wondering what happened to you, naturally,” he said.

“I’ve bounced around, been a few places,” I replied. “But it was time for me to come back. I knew I had to.”

“You do owe the fans an apology,” Tex said.

“That’s just it . . . I don’t know if they do . . . they did abandon us this year . . .”

“Well, just letting you know that we never did,” Tex said. “Still did pretty good business on all your game days, even though the team’s performance was crap. I know you’d probably not want to relive that, so I’ll let it be.”

“But I figured that I had to come back. I was scared, lonely,” I said. “I wondered what in the hell I had done, why I had been so rash there to leave without telling anyone.”

“Killenger was apparently none too happy that you left,” Tex said. He put a plate up on the counter, and one of the droids brought it to me. I started to eat. “Did you see what they did to her? Poor girl couldn’t even leave her hotel room there were so many reporters out to get her.”

“Because of me?” I asked.

“At least from what I hear, yes. They all thought she had a hand in your disappearance, although since you’re right here, I don’t think she did. Man, the Commissioner was furious when she didn’t show up for the game and his people found out why that was. It was ugly, let me tell you. The media market is probably still shaking from that one.”

I just slumped down in my chair. I had done even more damage than I previously thought. What had I been thinking? Now the food tasted bland, and I almost didn’t want it. If I wasn’t hungry, I would have pushed it aside out of pure contempt for myself. No one deserved that kind of negative attention, especially Ava. After all she had gone through, to be treated like dirt had probably hurt her beyond words. And I was the cause. Now I felt sick, not the kind that made me stop eating, but just mentally infirm. It felt like I needed to lock myself in a closet and not come out because I would hurt someone if I stayed outside in the real world.

“So, I take it you’re off to team headquarters at some point to turn yourself in?” Tex asked. “You wouldn’t have come back if you weren’t going to do that.”

“Later. I knew I had to talk to someone I could trust before going through with that,” I said. I was not looking forward to the thorough chewing-out I was going to receive when I got the Team HQ.

“Well, you came to the right place,” Tex said. He came and leaned on the counter across from me. “Look, I know the media here hasn’t been friendly as of late, but things can change.”

“But they haven’t. That’s the problem,” I said bitterly. “We’ve lost ten straight, Tex. Ten straight games. How we’re still in the League right now is beyond me. Must be credit possibilities over actual talent on this team.”

“Trust me, I know,” the Besalisk said. “This place used to be sold-out on gamedays. Now we can only fill up half the place. It’s rough sledding for businesses when the team doesn’t do well. But you have the power to change that.”

“Things are never going to change,” I said glumly, picking at something on my plate. “I haven’t won a game in almost two years. I don’t even remember what winning feels like . . . that was so far away from here.”

“You don’t think that can change?”

“How can it?” I asked, finally making eye contact with the diner owner. “This team is pathetic. We sucked so badly that it was historically bad. There isn’t any talent on the team . . . and I should know. I’m one of the stiffs that was in uniform this year . . . I don’t have talent anymore. Maybe that injury last year really did cost me . . .”

“The Draft is coming up soon. Maybe you can pick up a few decent players there.”

“It’s going to take a lot more than a few new players from college to fix this mess,” I said. “Especially after how I’ve left it.”

“Well, then you should get started on the building process. Look, I know it seems hopeless, but things were like this all those years ago, back in the last few days of the ‘Crendan Era’, or whatever in the hell they call those days. The team was terrible then . . . hadn’t been good since ’45, and the ‘Wonder Kids’, as we liked to call them. Ya know, Dain Horstse’s team. They were fun to watch, as I recall . . . and after they died, things went downhill from there. The team scuffled, and we all wondered if they would be dumped down to the Premier League or some backwater conference with little support. Things were tough then as a Limmie fan here.

And then, in our time of need for a winner, along came a man with no Limmie experience. Company man, got a tiny bit of interest in the sport from a vacation, of all things. The team was originally an investment opportunity, a business venture. Risky, I admit, but it seemed logical to him. He inherited a crappy team, one without veteran leadership, one without standout players. No one believed they could do anything but flop once again. But they didn’t. They used what talents they had and won some games. They finally won a title. Then they went on to boast one of the fiercest lineups of the modern day.”

“Those days were different, though,” I said. “They had someone special running them . . .”

“You still do. He’s still in charge of the team, unless things have changed in the last few days,” Tex said.

“And they had special players who actually had talent. I don’t have anything like what they did,” I commented. “I’m nothing anymore, just a waste of a pick.”

“Look, Ms. Gamble, you wanna know something?” Tex said. He leaned over a little bit. “I still believe in you. Even if you don’t, I just want you to know that beings out there care. You were named an All-
    Star this year.”

“Didn’t deserve it,” I said.

“But you were named one, when you had no reason to be metrics-wise. That means something.”

“I didn’t even play in the game.”

“Doesn’t matter. You still got there. That’s what, three, now you’ve been named to? That’s special; no other player in team history has gotten that many nods. Deter? Nope. Qorbus? Nah. Even Horstse and company didn’t get a single All-Star nod.”

“That was before the game became a fixture of the League calendar,” I pointed out.

“But they didn’t have a selection, either,” Tex said. “Point is, you’ve got something going for you whether you like it or not. It’s not my business whether you take my advice or not, but I believe in ya. Now, do you believe in yourself, or are you going to let a few bad seasons, a few bad breaks, keep you down?”

I finished my meal, and knew that I had gained something. It wasn’t a hell of a lot compared to the crushing stench of misery I was in, but at least there was some hope alive in my soul. Deep down, there had to be something positive to take out of all this. I reached into my pocket to pull out some change to pay for the meal, but Tex waved me off. “Nah, consider this on the house,” he said as he took my empty plate. “Between you and me, I think you needed both a talking to and some food. Now go make things right.”

And I fully intended to.

IC: Ava Killenger

Ava heard the doorbell ring, and she looked at the chrono next to her bed. 0700 it read; who was calling so early? She limped down the stairs and answered the door, he foot still in a walking boot. The doctors said it would be another few days before she could walk without it, but the limp was still there. That would probably take another week or so to heal, they said. Ava hated it, but she didn’t have much of a choice.

She opened the front door. A human woman stood there, her flowing brown hair evident.

“Christine,” Ava said. “What do you want?”

“Can I come in?” the corner back asked.

“No,” Ava said bluntly. “You’re the cause of all my misery, dammit! Because of you, I was ridiculed by the media. I wasn’t able to get out of my frakking hotel room because of you! I missed the game, and had to watch it on the HoloNet because I was too scared to leave. You have guts coming back here, after what you pulled.”

“I’m sorry,” Christine said.

“That’s not enough, Christine. Good bye,” Ava said. She wanted to slam the door, but Christine reached out her hand and touched the door. If it slammed now, her hand might be caught.

“I came out this way to apologize,” she said. “You won’t let me do that much?”

“Why should I listen to you? Look at you, Ms. Big Shot Drama Queen,” Ava said. “I stuck up for you, and this is how I was received, by being pelted by abuses from the media and from fans. Do you know how many times I’ve been assaulted by unwanted calls and threats against my person from idiots thinking I had caused your disappearance?

“But I’m here now.”

“That’s not enough, Christine. What you’ve done can’t easily be repaired. So just go on and screw up someone else’s life.”

“Things haven’t been easy for me either,” Christine said. “I’ve been hating myself the last week for what I did . . . for what I did to you. I should have said something . . . and I never should have left. You don’t have to forgive me, but I just want you to know that I’m sorry. Sorry about everything. Doubt I’ll be able to change your mind on this, but I’ve done all I can. I’ll see you on the flip side,” she said, turning around and then walking away. Ava watched as her teammate walked away, and knew that it would be hard to forgive her for what she had done. But at least she had the guts to come out here and apologize, the rookie thought as she closed the door. At least that counted for something.

Christine’s trip to the team HQ building included the chewing-out she knew she would receive, but she withstood it because she knew she was guilty. After that, Gark S’rily decided to suspend her indefinitely; she had brought quite a bit of bad publicity to the team, and he wanted to show that the team wasn’t going to put up with that sort of behavior. Christine left the building with her head down, but knew that at least she had some glimmer of hope alive. And that was all she needed right now.

TAG: No One

Rebecca_Daniels, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Gark S’rily
    War Room, Agamar

Gark didn’t like being back in this position, starting off a Draft. Sure it was a good way for the weaker teams to gain the better players entering the league, but no one wanted this pick coming into a new season. There was too much pride in Limmie to allow for such a thing. Yes his franchise had the pick, but he badly wanted to win. Hopefully this opportunity would allow the Senators to rise again; all the other teams in the League were already licking their chops for next year at their chance to beat the crap out of his team once again. The Bothan wanted to smack them around until they knew that the Senators were not to be trifled with. The ‘Golden Era’ of the team’s history had ended in 273, but it was well-past time he figured that the team would rise to prominence again. After all, it couldn’t be any worse than it already was.

It had been a long offseason since the Senators had bowed out of the League’s season with a complete undressing at the hands of Rydonni Prime. It had been torturous for Gark to deal with; rumors had been rampant that the Senators were going to be demoted, that they didn’t belong in this League. Somehow the Commissioner had saved his hide by keeping the team in the League, but that had only increased the scrutiny on the Bothan’s actions. His star player had left the All-Star Game amid a growing scandal regarding the media. He had to make the right move at some point, or else he would have to do something he really didn’t want to do - sell the team. That was a dreadful option, but at some point it was worth it to get out of the game rather than keep failing. He had an image to uphold.

With him in the Senators war room was his new coaching staff, or at least the major players. Peet Carelle, the new head coach, was going over a few last-minute things on a datapad. The Bothan had to hand it to Carelle; the man was a genius. He was quite outgoing and willing to make a move if he felt it would benefit the team. Rosa Berant, the new defensive coordinator, Polis Vayne, the offensive coordinator and newly-minted Hall-of-Famer, and Artie Gurvey, the longtime Thyferra midfielder coach now with the Senators, were here, as well as Gark’s wife Me’lin, the team secretary, Assistant General Manager Allie Orchetrada, and the scouting duo of Mac Johnson and Helena Forsythe. It was a packed house, but the Bothan wanted all hands on deck in this Draft. Every little bit of info counted tonight.

“Welcome to the War Room,” Gark said, getting everyone’s attention when he spoke. “For those of you who have been here before, welcome back. For everyone who is new to here, welcome to the madhouse. This is going to be a huge Draft for us, where we will hopefully get some players who can lead this team back to the Promised Land, the Cup Final. In order to do that, we need to be willing to accept multiple opinions, make trades, and most importantly take risks. The Draft isn’t cut-and-dry; players will be stars, and some will be busts. We have to find the players who will form a nice young core that can lead us into the future. Right now we have a few pieces, but only a very few. There’s a long way to go, and we will likely not come close to contention this year. So we have to build for the future, to prove to the League office that we do indeed belong here. If we have to move pieces, so be it. That’s the beauty of this Draft; we can trade for picks or players. But I don’t want to get burned on trades again. That Jayla Leed trade still haunts me. Let’s not do that again. Let’s be smart and make trades that can help our team. Trades for players who can be serviceable, but not stars. Build depth first and go from there.”

“So, when do we start?” Carelle asked, a wide grin on his face.

“Right now,” Gark said. “The Draft doesn’t start for another ten minutes, but that gives us more time to think about what to do with our pick.”

“The Mock Drafts all seem to think that we should be smart and draft the Helmsman winner,” Berant said. “Smart play, since we need a superstar at that position.”

“We need stars at every position,” Carelle commented. “But that can be taught. First, we need to find a player to mold into the system.”

“How much do we need a goalkeeper like Ul’kesh?” Polis asked. “I know Barbosa can do a lot better than he did this past year, and I know that we have a couple of options on Thyferra right now who we could plug the gap with for the time being.”

“I don’t know if his problems were more on his shoulders, or if Zeke was betrayed by a terrible defense,” Gark said, rubbing his chin. “He did well when the defense was holding, but fell apart when he was getting shelled. Some of those scores were on him, but only about half. He did what he could without any help whatsoever from the defense. I don’t think he was our problem, or at least the biggest concern out there.”

“He’s only got a year left on his contract, so we might need to find a replacement,” Me’lin offered.

“But is the first overall pick the right time to jump on this chance? Who knows, Ul’kesh might be available in the next round,” Carelle asked. “And goalies usually are only as good as the defense around them. We could go defense.”

“He’s right,” Rosa said. “We don’t have a lot of defensive talent in this organization. And that’s something that needs to be addressed now, since it’s a recurring problem.”

“But the offense was our bigger issue last year,” Gark countered. “The few times we held on defense, the offense couldn’t score worth a crap. We could have won a few games last year with some more scoring. Might’ve changed the outcome of the matches.”

“What about Elbog?”

“I’m not sold on him,” Helena commented. “Has great upside, but can be a risk at times. Not the biggest college pedigree either.”

“Since when have we cared about that?” Gark asked. “Besides, if he fits our needs, we’ll take him. Hopefully his upside will be enough to get him on this team. He’s got a lot, and he won’t be available in the second round for us to take him. Guy should be a top-5 pick at least.”

“Jeffers?” Peet asked.

“Safer bet,” Gark mused. “Defensive back. Need something there.”

The discussion went for a long time, during which the Draft began and the Senators were on the clock.

Time was winding down, and no one has reached any consensus. At least not as much as Gark liked for there to be. Finally, he put out a proposal, something he knew he would like but was unsure about the others.

“I like that idea. Let’s take a risk,” Carelle said.

“Wouldn’t it be better to take the safe bet?” Me’lin inquired.

“It’s just the kind of risk we need to take,” Gark said. He grabbed the jersey off the table and walked to the door. “Now, to make history, or crash and burn trying.”

“Aren’t you positive today,” Helena commented.

But Gark didn’t pay attention to the scout’s comment. He made his way to the stage, which was bathed in light. The draft floor quieted as he approached, still clutching the jersey. This was going to be a big moment for the franchise, and that brought along with it all kinds of pressure. They had to pick a winner here, someone whom they could lean on next season.

Short and simple, Gark thought to himself as he cleared his throat. Had to make sure the fans didn’t get any reason to try and boo him off the stage; that was the last thing he needed.

“With the first overall pick in the 278 Elite League Draft,” he said, “The Coruscant Senators select . . .

Leia Adama, from the University of Bakura at Telaan Valley

[​IMG]

Needless to say, Adama was shocked at being picked first overall. It took her several moments to move from her seat and come up to the stage. Gark had his apprehensions about this pick, because it was no secret that the Adamas had long-running connections with the Bakura Miners. Frankly, they almost were the Miners, second only to the Trieste clan. So this was a chance to not only grab a star player, but also to subtly sabotage Bakura’s draft. Then again, the Miners had already done that by not drafting, so now there seemed to be little incentive. However, any chance to make a jab at their rivals was something to jump on.

Adama took the jersey from Gark’s hands and held it aloft for the Holos. She smiled widely as she held it, and when the Holos were done, she turned to Gark.

“You do know how hard it will be for me to wear this uniform, right?” she asked.

“We hope it’ll grow on you,” the Bothan said with a smirk.

“I appreciate the chance, even if it’s for the Senators” the rookie-to-be said. “And I intend to make a splash.”

Good, Gark thought to himself. That was the kind of fire he wanted in a player, the willingness to make plays and be a force.
    He went back to the podium and said “The Kuat Triforce are now on the clock.”

TAG: Polydroxol

3. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Here are your Daily Headlines. Better late than never, right?

• Bak10 releases blue ribbon study on concussions in limmie that concludes there is "significant" potential for traumatic head injury in the game
    • Commissioner Trieste instituting new "heads up" tackling rules for Bak10 to eliminate dangerous plays
    • Formerly legal tackles will now carry penalties in 278 Bak10 play to eradicate such hits
    • Trieste: "Player safety must and will come first"
    • Changes announced well in advance of season to give teams time to practice and prepare for new rules
    • All Bak10 home games, including playoff games, will be played with these rules
    TAG to Trieste

Rebecca_Daniels and Vehn like this.
  4. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Falene Trieste
    Euceron

(Could it be anything else?)

“What do you mean Christine left?” Falene asked.

“The press were getting on her case yesterday, really nasty stuff,” Aron said, “Caught the highlights this morning. First I heard of it. Commissioner’s super angry. Recalled press passes and everything. Gondorf’s even looking into whether some of them can be charged for going to her hotel room and harassing her there.”

“They what?” Niskat exclaimed, “Are you Sithspitting me?”

“This is ridiculous,” Alana said, shaking her head, “Come on.”

“And she’s really gone?” Falene asked.

“Seems it. Can’t get a replacement here in enough time either. They called up Havelock, but one day’s not enough time,” Aron said, “Or that’s what HSN said.”

“So we’re short one player,” Lizbit said, “Sweet.”

“Well, as they say...” Horst said,

[​IMG]

Niskat put a hand to her forehead. “Horst--”

“Don’t bother, just don’t,” Falene told Niskat.

The players all received individual introductions, this was the All-Star Game after all. The reservists went after the starters and the head coach came after that, which meant that Falene, Alana, and Aron got to hang out with Meredith Chambers-Vayne in the tunnel while they waited.

“So Merry, that’s three for you and three for me,” Alana said, holding up three fingers on each hand, “You know, we get in a fist fight with all those rings, I like our chances.”

Meredith laughed and shook her head. "Four, Alana," she reminded Red as she waggled a finger in the veteran midfielder's direction.

She couldn't believe she was coaching the All-Star team. Seemed just like yesterday she was on Bespin working her rear off to impress the fans, to show the league that Limmie did matter, to swap jerseys with then rival Alana Glencross. Now her playing days were gone. And that friend of hers, Red, well, maybe hers were winding down too. Hard to say. But the young blood of the league was looking good. There was Falene Trieste of the industrious Noble House and Aron Rodders, two and three time Galactic Cup champions, respectively

“You three are going to put up some points today. Skywalker hasn’t got anything on you. McCloud isn’t in the game today and Reaver isn’t going to play very hard as she's still nursing injuries from that bash fest that is known as the Game of Rivals. The rest of those players don’t have the championship experience we have and that will make all the difference today,” Meredith said as she gave high-fives to Alana, Falene, and Aron.

The crowd roared. The game was about to begin.

“Happy hunting,” Meredith said as her name was introduced to the deafening roar of the Limmie faithful.

As a reserve, Falene did not play in the first half. That meant that she got to watch her teammates Lizbit, Horst, and Niskat as they did their thing on the field, shamelessly cheering them on. She was also throwing in a lot of cheers for Vesper, who was leading a strong first half attack on the Skywalker Conference goal. Instead of sitting on the bench, she was standing on the sidelines, which meant that she was generally getting in Meredith’s way as she was “coaching” the team.

“Hey, does anybody have any chants that rhyme with Solo?” Falene called her team.

“How about, ‘Hey Hey Skywalkers/We’re the conference of Solo/Since you’re all big talkers/Tell us why’s your score so low?’” Alana suggested.

“You are so lucky you’re not quitting your day job,” Aron said shaking his head.

“Yeah, yeah Mr. Short Timer,” Alana said giving her retiring teammate a friendly shove.

For the second half, it was Falene’s turn as the reserves came in. Ty Allin, as assistant captain, had volunteered to cover the extra minutes. It was quite a thing to volunteer for: those were going to be hard minutes since this was limmie sevens. She hoped Allin was ready for it.

“That 270 all-star game nearly killed me when we played the whole game in sevens,” Alana said to Falene before the half started, “I hope he know what he’s in for.”

Every time Falene ran by the Solo Conference sideline, there was Niskat cheering, just like she and Alana had done for her and Lizbit. Except Niskat wasn’t cheering for them.

“Great save Korlo!” she called out.

“Way to go Korlo!”

“You’re awesome Korlo!”

“Why don’t you try, ‘Can I have your number Korlo?’” Falene caught Lizbit saying sarcastically.

“Korlo can I get your number?” Niskat yelled across the field.

Because it was the all-star game, Falene was having some fun with her play. Rather than straight up, hard-nosed limmie, she was trying out fancy things, like rolling the ball from one hand, down her arm, across her shoulders to the other arm, and into her hand. Well, she would have, had one of her Skywalker opponents not plucked the ball from off her shoulder partway there. She tried bouncing the ball between her legs, alley-oop passing, all sorts of things that she’d never do in an actual game. But this was the all-star game--why not have some fun?

Falene might have inspired her captain too. Alana Glencross at one point decided to balance the bolo-ball on her head, because she was very good at balancing things, and run across the field--which lasted all of about two seconds before a Skywalker player swatted it off her head.

Alana was toying with Reaver. The two were head to head, playing hard, fighting all the way, and Meredith wanted to throw her headset. This was the All-Star game not a contest of who had the happiest feet, what the heck was going on out there?

"Someone going to make a play on the ball?" Meredith roared.

"Anyone? Anyone?" Meredith mumbled to herself as she paced up and down the sideline.

Someone had forgotten to tell old Chambers-Vayne that this was for fun.

At one point, Falene got tripped up with one of the Skywalker attackers and she tumbled to the turf, no worse for the wear. She heard the whistle blow.

“Free kick!” Lokensgaard said, trotting over. He had on a microphone so the entire stadium could hear his calls.

“Eh, it wasn’t that bad. Barely stained my jersey,” Falene said, getting to her feet.

“I know. Free kick to the Skywalker Conference!” Lokensgaard proclaimed.

“Seriously?” Falene said, tilting her head and putting her hands on her hips, “I was the one who got tripped there.”

“Unsportsmanlike diving,” Lokensgaard announced.

“Diving?” Falene repeated in disbelief.

“Free kick, Skywalker, and ten pushups to Trieste,” Lokensgaard said.

Some of the fans applauded and cheered at this.

“You know I pay your salary,” Falene said, but she was still getting down on the turf.

“Hey, anymore of that backtalk and I’m bringing out the glow stick of destiny on you,” Lokensgaard said. He was smiling broadly, clearly enjoying this.

“Laugh it up,” Falene said as she obligingly began her punishment.

Of course, there was some actual limmie going on as the teams continued to put up more points, but the Solo Conference was having the better of it.

Late in the game Alana plucked a bolo-ball and put a very targeted kick pass down field she had only one target in mind: Aron Rodders. Aron took it, set his feet in his trademark style, and fired a laser of a shot into the back of the net for a valedictory goal. The fans applauded and Alana and Falene came over to give their teammate a hug in what would be the last professional points he would ever put up in his career.

At the end of the game, Falene made sure to shake the hand of every one of her opponents. After all, it had been an enjoyable game and if you couldn’t be a good sport at an all-star game, when could you be? Also, the Solo Conference had won, which meant that Falene had earned 50,000 credits for her charity of choice, a variety of Bakuran disabled soldier funds.

All in all, it had been a good 277 for Falene Trieste.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Elite League announces that starting in 278 the Duchess Eldin Award will be open to all members of a limmie organization and will recognize sportsmanship only, dropping the athletic excellence part of the award
    • Coruscant trades Sorcha Styles (FF), Bernie McAllister (FB), and Nada Baldvid (CB) to the Corellia Rebels in exchange for Haybius Korpus (HB) and Gemma Sal-Solo (CF)
    • Senators send Raley Tenegat (CB) and Kinn Numm (CB) to Chandrila in exchange for Ugdulo Borr (FB)
    • Kerry Trieste reportedly “elated” over first-ever Bak10 first overall draft pick in ELL Draft
    TAG: Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Agamar

The Commissioner took the podium after the Senators had finished taking their pictures with Adama.

"It is my pleasure to announce the second overall draft pick in the 278 Elite League Draft," Lokensgaard said, "With the second overall pick, the Kuat Triforce select..."
    "...Noj Elbog, Corner Forward, National University."
    "I also have the rare honor of announcing that with the third overall draft pick in the 278 Elite League Limmie Draft, the Ylesia Lightning select..." Lokensgaard paused for dramatic effect.
    "...Tadhara Tunni, Half Forward, University of Kuat."
    "And with that, the Ralltiir Starkillers are now on the clock."

TAG: Polydroxol Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Ty Allin

The day before Trey left for the draft Loren Jul and I sat in his office at the stadium. “We finalized a contract with Zan,” he told us once we got the mandatory pleasantries out of the way. “I think she’s going to make a solid assistant.”

He wanted our opinion on the hire. I wasn’t shy so I went first. “I know that Gwynn Reeser didn’t exactly end her season on a high note with the Sandskimmers, but was she even considered for the position?” I asked.

“Her name was brought up,” Trey assured me. “Ultimately though we knew we had to go in a new direction. This ball club needs to get back to the play-offs next year and we need to win when we get there.”

“Sunlua Zan is going to get us play-off wins,” I said in skeptically. “She hasn’t won anything since 273,” I reminded him.

“She won the whole thing in 273,” Jul said speaking up. “That’s a lot more than we’ve ever won.”

I admired Jul’s optimism. This was going to be her final season. If I was her I would be concerned about a great many things within this organization right now, possibly even demanding a trade. “She’s going to want to change up or defense again, isn’t she?” I asked Trey.

“We need to make changes with the defense, but don’t worry, “he assured me. “Your position is secure.” That wasn’t what I was concerned about. I was the best defensive player on this team. I knew I was going to start. It was changing the system again that bothered me. Bringing in new players, young players, rookies and learning under a new coach always took time. We needed to win now. I didn’t have time to bring up those concerns. Trey had another more pressing matter to bring up with us. “News will be breaking any minute now about the draft,” he warned us. “So I wanted you to hear this from me first. We have acquired two extra picks this season.”

“Please tell me Andres didn’t ask for a trade,” I said before I could stop myself.

Jul looked at me, now she was worried. “Andres wants out of Ralltiir?” She asked.

“He wants to win a cup,” I said with a shrug. “He brought it up at the end of last season, but he’s expecting a new baby almost any day now. I thought he was resigned to sticking it out with us for at least one more season.”

Trey was shaking his head, “We didn’t trade anyone. We traded for picks next season.”

“So what do we need with 5 picks this season?” I asked.

“What I’m going to say doesn’t leave this room,” Trey stated quietly. “There’s a 24 year old kid calling the shots for this franchise now. He was supposed to graduate from Republican University last week, but he put that off, dropped a few of his classes so he could be ready for this draft.” Trey’s voice was dripping with sarcasm. “He knows we should draft a defensive player in the first round, but he also wants Rhonda Gabor and he wasn’t so sure that she would be available in the second round.”

“Our offense is strong,” Jul argued. “Why does he want to draft so high for an offensive player?”

Before Trey could answer I asked some questions of my own. “Who did he make this trade with?” I asked. “And how can he be so sure we won’t need some picks next season?”

“There is nothing wrong with our offense,” Trey assured Jul. “Even if he does draft Gabor I am starting Sureysh in Lightcin’s spot. I make the final roster.” He turned to face me next, “The trade was made with the Mercs.” My mouth fell open and I started to argue. Trey held up a hand to stop me, “Don’t worry it’s not as bad as it sounds. We won’t be drafting absolutely last in the first round. They acquired the 4th pick from Euceron and traded that our way.”

“So we acquired a high first rounder and the very last pick in the draft?” I asked quickly before he could stop me. “What did we give in return?”

“Next year’s 1st and 3rd round picks,” he told me flatly. “Look, Ty, I don’t like this either. But it’s my job to win ball games, not argue with management. If we win this ends up being a fair trade. Consider it motivation.” What I liked about Trey was he had the decency to tell us what was going on and he gave us his honest opinion about it. “Let’s talk about the draft options we have. Obviously we need a half back to replace Ikell. If you had your choice who would it be, Allin?”

He was using my last name, meaning this was business and he wanted a strait up answer. “Lena Roselli,” I answered without hesitation.

“She’s rated awful high; even with the fourth pick she may be gone. You still watch Ralltiir’s games on the holo do you think Horste is worth considering? Or do we skip down to someone else.”

There were no other half backs from better schools than Ralltiir. “Horste can survive in the ELL,” I told Till. “It could be a rough start though. I imagine it would be a rough start for anyone. Roselli is Hapan she’s our best bet.”

Till nodded I could tell he agreed with me. He also asked my opinion on Kaat Stun. It was hard to evaluate players from Ralltiir U. I had gone there, Jul had gone there and Trey had attended school there as well. We had all played there. Trey was a native of Ralltiir. He especially wanted one of their prospects to make a splash in the league. Our most recent attempt with Teaspoon wasn’t exactly a smashing success though. “Don’t draft her before the 3rd round,” I advised.

“If we could play her on Tatooine a few seasons she might develop,” Trey tried.

He planned to coach this team forever. I had a few more seasons here, but after that I didn’t know. I didn’t know how long my body was going to hold up or if I’d stay on Ralltiir. When I finished playing I wanted to coach youth. The ELL was too stressful for my taste. Long term plans didn’t interest me. “Do what you want,” I said plainly.

“Developing a keeper is important,” Jul said suddenly speaking up. “There are never many available. If you want to take, her I think it’s a good idea.”

“Thanks, Loren,” Trey said giving her a genuine smile. “If you have any last minute thoughts call or text me,” he smiled warmly as he stood up and walked her to the door. “If you’ll excuse us I want to talk to Allin alone for a minute.”

“Sure, no problem coach,” she gave me a sympathetic look and a wave on her way out the door.

Once she was gone and the door was closed Trey turned and looked me directly in the eye. “We can win it all this season,” he told me. “It doesn’t matter who we draft or who’s calling the shots in the front office. On the field is what matters. What I said to you today was in confidence. You can’t tell anyone, especially not your wife. I don’t want tension. I just want to see you and your teammates hoist that cup at the end of the season. Are we clear?”

“Clear,” I told him. Not that I was any good at keeping secrets from my wife. I would do my best though. “See you next week? Maybe we can play holo games at your apartment some night.”

He smiled, “I’d like that.”

The night of the draft I had Andres, Justyne and Zoey came over. Tomas had been watching HSN since he had gotten back to our house after school. Spencer had spent several hours in the room we provided for him studying but he came out when the draft began. We watched as the first three teams to draft selected forwards. I was nervous. Richard was going to select Gabor with that 4th pick we had acquired, I just knew it. I wondered what Till was thinking right now. I glanced over at Andres who sat coolly with his feet on my caf table. Just then Zoey came running out of the kitchen where she had been talking to Lucie and Justyne. She headed for the spot where T.J. was sitting knocking over block towers that Spencer built and rebuilt. Seconds before running him over she jumped directly over T.J. and landed safely on the other side.

I felt my heart leap into my throat. I hid it well as I could as I leaned down to pick up T.J. “It’s not safe for you down there, little buddy,” I said putting him in my lap.

Andres grabbed Zoey by the arm. “That was reckless,” he scolded. “Go tell your cousin you’re sorry and don’t let me see you do that again.”

Shyly Zoey looked over towards me and T.J. “Sorry,” she said quietly before retreating back to the kitchen. I was nearly shaking as Mrs. Vigo approached the stadium with both confidence and elegance.

“With the 4th pick of the 278 draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select Lena Roselli,” She stated looking out towards the Hapan. Lena rose from her seat and approached the stage. Mrs. Vigo unfolded the Jersey she was holding and handed it to Lena. “Good to have you young lady,” she said.

After the owner and new player shook hands Mrs. Vigo returned to the podium. “The Rydonni Prime Monarchs are now on the clock.” She stated as if she had been on that stage 100 times before.

TAG: CPL_Macja

8. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Vesper Lynd
    Kashyyyk
    277 ELL Awards

[​IMG]

Vesper always looked forward the season end awards, regardless if she was playing for anything in the days following. It was one night, out of the entire season, that she could showcase her femininity. Playing a contact sport did not lend itself for girls to be girls. But walking the Red Carpet in a strapless, low-cut evening gown definitely showed off her womanly, yet athletic, figure. Smiling and waving to the holocams, she answered the myriad of questions that were hurled at her in turn.

“Vesper! Who are you wearing tonight?”

Looking in the general direction of where she thought the question came from, she answered with a schoolgirl innocence, “I have absolutely no idea. My sister Ginnifer picked it out and shipped it to my hotel room here.”

“What do you think of what some of the various sports talk shows are saying over the holonet? That the Duchess Eldin should be renamed the Vesper-Alana Award?”

That one tickled her, “I had not heard that one yet,” she laughed, “Honestly, I’m surprised to even be nominated after the lackluster season our offense had. It’s truly an honor just to be nominated.”

“Yeah, but this is your fourth straight year being nominated for the award, and if you win, it will be a three-peat for you. Not even Alana Glencross has achieved such a feat.”

“Well there are a lot of other players in the league that exemplify the qualities worthy of the Duchess Eldin, not just Ms Glencross and myself. Besides, I would gladly trade both of my Duchess Eldins for just one Galactic Cup.” She started to walk away when another question froze her in her tracks.

“Do you believe the Monarchs are cursed?”

“Why would you think that?” answering the question with a question.

“They were the first team to be promoted to the ELL because the team that beat them in the Premiership refused admission. They lost that same Premiership because their star captain OD’ed in the middle of the field. Since then, they have only been in the playoffs four times, only making it out of the first round once, have had five losing seasons, have a sub five hundred record, and are about to have a third new owner in ten seasons. You’re either jinxed or not nearly as good as you think you are.”

Vesper searched the media pool for the reporter who just gave her the Monarchs’ season-over-season rundown. As soon as her eyes fell upon the Bothan, she knew it was Jhym Ro’meo, the former Monarchs beat writer. “Seriously Jhym? Do you not have something better to do with your time? Isn’t there a grav-ball player you need to make cry on your show?”

“Actually, I’m scheduled to meet with JoBren Salem about his free agency announcement tomorrow, so I still have some time,” the Bothan retorted smugly.

Vesper put her serious face on, “So you came to Kashyyyk just to ask me if I thought the Monarchs were cursed?”

“No, I came to Kashyyyk to get your reaction to the claims that the Monarchs are systematically returning to a human-centric organization?” Vesper’s jaw dropped, but Ro’meo continued before she could respond, “Setarcos Rhemes shipped Net Benneb, Lexi Anna, Vicki Divine, and Rayel Edare to the LFL. He only brought Oss’irh’cgood up because his golden boy, Abe Cynour, snapped and attacked a fan. Meanwhile, of the twenty-nine players that he has drafted, only seven of them have been non-humans, one of which never once touched the bolo for the Monarchs.”

Before she could launch into a tirade, a strong hand gently grasped the bare skin of her arm, “I’m going to advise Ms Lynd not to even justify those torrid allegations with a response.”

Vesper immediately relaxed, knowing that her knight in shining armor was there to protect her.

“She is here to enjoy the festivities and celebrate the accomplishments of her fellow players in the ELL. So, if you would excuse us, we are going to find our seats. Should you have any further questions I will direct you to Ms O’Shane, who will be more than happy to give you a full statement.” Nicholas flashed his disarming smile as he led Vesper into the ceremony.

“Thanks,” she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as they continued to walk, “I owe you.”

“Yes you do.”

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Press Conference Room, Monarchs offices, Ryell, Rydonni Prime
    Four weeks after the conclusion of the 277 ELL season

Vesper hated press conferences, especially after the encounters that she’s had with the media over her six season career. But it was essential that she be there since she was the focal point of the announcement being made. She stood off to the side of the room as Setarcos and Romo stood front and center. Romo gave his obligatory post season review and pre-season forecast, “Now I have a few housekeeping notes that I wanted to pass along to you before Setarcos speaks and Vesper makes her announcement. First things first, Midfielder Bry Dougant has had successful reconstructive surgery on his knees, ankles, elbows, wrists, shoulders… let’s just say that everything that was broken is now fixed.

“Abe Cynour, Sugnok Umanh, and Fahpe Sojuria have been cleared by a league approved councilor and will be re-instated to the active roster. However, I am not sure, at this point, which of our active rosters they will be on next season. Speaking of where players will be next season. Staweh-Tam Ford will be undergoing a series of surgeries that will keep him sidelined for the duration of 278. It’s not quite as extensive as Bry’s this last year, but it is necessary.” Romo then turned the podium over to Setarcos.

“Moving from personnel issues to stadium issues, we have decided to try something new this coming season. Instead of having assigned seating for seasons tickets holders, we will be having guaranteed seasons tickets seats. What this means is that our seasons ticket holders will be issued vouchers that they can exchange for the best available seat in the lower bowl. Plus the package prices will increase slightly to offset the new taxes being imposed by our new Parliament.”

The room developed a dull roar of murmuring that Vesper had heard several times before while watching the GM’s press conferences. They usually punctuated a less then favorable announcement. To her the economics of tickets sales and running a team were somewhat lost on her.

I should probably keep my eyes and ears open about that this next season.

Once Setarcos finished disclosing some more of the changes he took a step back so that Vesper could join the two managers. She walked up to the podium amid a lightning storm of holocam flashes. During the season it was not uncommon for Vesper to address the media. But when the front office called the press conference with a note that Vesper was going to speak, every news outlet across the galaxy sent a correspondent to provide first hand coverage.

Before she started, Vesper took a drink from the water goblet that Erika O’Shane ensured would be there for her. Setting down the glass she slowly began her address, “Hello. Thank you for joining us today. Let me begin by saying I’m not here today to announce my retirement, nor do I plan to do so any time soon.” The dull roar returned to the gallery, but Vesper continued to soldier on with her address.

“Now, as most of you know, the players of the Monarchs organization and the majority of those who were assigned to the Red Wings joined together to create a unified players’ association. Our first action was to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement with House K’ntarr to ensure our members equal and fair contracts through the transition of ownership.

“Our second was to elect someone to represent us during the season. We agreed upon someone whom we all have already entrusted our personal freedoms and security. We now have entrusted our professional careers to him. We elected Uda Nazug as the Director of the Players’ Association.”

Vesper realized that most of the media were still waiting for her to get to the world changing news that she had called them all in for. “Last night, Mr. Nazug along with Chief Legal Counsel, Nicholas Arden, brokered a deal for the Players’ Association to purchase the majority shares of the Rydonni Prime Monarchs.”

She waited for the news to sink in before moving on, “In compliance with the legislation of the Peoples Parliament of Rydonni Prime, the joint shares owned by the players under the association will equal 63% ownership of the team. House K’ntarr will retain 36% equity with the remaining 1% will belong to the newly appointed President of Limmie Operations, Uda Nazug. I will now open the floor to questions.”

“Ms. Lynd. How will the players’ stockholder equity effect their contract compensation?”

Of course the first question was about credits, “As is our tradition, we do not discuss specific details of individual contracts. In general, anyone who joined the league before 277 will earn at least the league veteran’s minimum but no more than the league veteran’s maximum. Anyone who joined in 277 will earn at least the league rookie’s minimum but no more than the league rookie’s maximum. The excess will be held in escrow for each individual for rainy days.”

“You just said that everyone will get at least what the league says they should but no more than they shouldn’t. You just talked around that question like a city mayor dealing with a traffic officer.”

A smile spread on Vesper’s face, “Exactly, I majored in Poli Sci after all. Next question.”

The press conference continued on and as it did Vesper knew that 278 was going to be an interesting year… especially for the two men standing behind her.

OOC: This will be the end of Vesper’s side of the story for now. Next season will feature a new and an old perspective on the less than average Elite Leaguers of Rydonni Prime

Jedi Gunny and Trieste like this.
  9. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    GM APPROVED!!

Primary Character Sheet
    Name: Romo Benedict Crowley III
    Species: Human
    Birth Year: 222
    Physical appearance:
    [​IMG]
    Homeworld: Coruscant
    Relation to Team: Head Coach
    Brief Biography:
    Romo played defensive back for the Republican University Scholars as a scholarship starter for the 240-243 collegiate limmie seasons. Upon graduation he spent his entire professional career with the Denon Demons, playing defensive back for them from 244 through 261, earning a Galactic Cup ring in the process. Through the teams various promotions and relegations between the ELL and PLL he also earned two premierships and four defensive player of the year awards.

In the final match of the 261 PLL season, Romo blew out both of his knees, ending his playing career. Starting with the 262 season he was hired as the Defensive Coordinator of the Cloud City Sky Captains and worked his way up to Assistant Head Coach by the 264 season. He was then hired by the Trieste’s to be the Head Coach of the Bison Sabres in 265, where he remained until 274.

After a chance meeting with his old college teammate, Setarcos Rhemes, at the ELL Season Awards he was hired as the Head Coach of the Rydonni Prime Monarchs. He had a rough inaugural season only winning two games. But then he turned things around and lead the Monarchs to their first Galactic Cup appearance. The following season found them on the outside looking in on the playoffs.

Now he has a new challenge before him… his players are now his bosses.

Secondary Character Sheet
    Name: Setarcos Rhemes
    Birth Year: 222
    Physical appearance:
    [​IMG]
    Homeworld: Coruscant
    Relation to Team: General Manager
    Brief Biography:
    240-243 – Played every position on the offensive sided of the field on the Republican Scholars as a reserve. Only started three game, one of which was the 243 Border War. Graduated with a degree in Journalism and hired by HSN as a college grav-ball reporter.
    267 – Assigned as the HSN beat reporter for the newly created PLL squad, the Rydonni Prime Monarchs. He is credited with coming up with the nickname “Hotrod” for the Monarchs’ rookie phenom Rodrick Reicrof.
    268 – Started investigating the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of Reicrof. Midway through the season he was hired as the new Offensive Coordinator for the Monarchs. Continued to write HSN articles under the pseudonym of Tu’Py’Lo Cerrum.
    269 - 270 – Promoted to Head Coach and nominated for the Langann Award. Coached the Monarchs to their first Commissioner's Trophy and won the Langann Award.
    271 – Promoted to General Manager, quit as Head Coach after being knocked out of their first round in the Galactic Cup two years running and the first two matches of the 271 season, promoted Greebus Ion to Head Coach. Nominated and won the Grames Award.
    272 – Implicated in a scandalous relationship with first year Offensive Coordinator Julla Ehennifer. He then took over as Head Coach when Greebus Ion resigned when the Monarchs failed to qualify for the post season.
    273-275 – Took on the stressful job of rebuilding the Monarchs after losing the majority of their veteran players to retirement. Lead the Monarchs to an overall winning record. He helped form the Byblos Red Wings, Limmie Futures League affiliate of the Monarchs, and inaugural General Manager.
    275 – Hired Romo Benedict Crowley III as Head Coach and resumed working full time as the General Manager of both the Monarchs and the Red Wings.

Vehn and Trieste like this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• League announces Kuat Triforce will play in Solo Conference
    • No news yet as for sixth Skywalker Conference team to round out League
    • Sources say League has narrowed down to two candidates
    • Senators sign Leann Lightcin (CHF) as a free agent
    • After a thorough investigation, authorities on Mandalore rule Rak'el Felps' death a suicide
    • Argo Mor'kesh (Midfielder) signs 4 year contract with Mando'ade Mercs
    • "Killer" K'Karlson (cornerback) signs 2 year contract with Mando'ade Mercs
    • Mij Katan (Goaltender) signs 2 year contract with Mando'ade Mercs
    • Pedro (corner forward) signs 1 year contract with Mando'ade Mercs
    • Lycar Naughten (Full forward) signs 1 year contract with Mando'ade Mercs
    • Rajah Rollko (corner forward) signs 1 year contract with Mando'ade Mercs
    • Arick Vau (Midfielder) announces his retirement from the game of Limmie
    • Tsulkalu (Wookie female) Corner forward, released from the Mando'ade Mercs and becomes a free agent
    • Mando'ade Mercs and Maggie Adams (Half forward) still in contract negotiations. Adams is rumored to be seeking a multi-year deal to stay with the Mercs
    • Mando'ade Mercs and Jaya Tam (Half forward) still in contract negotiations. Tam is rumored to be seeking a significant pay raise over her previous contract
    • Mando'ade Mercs promote Kad Mereel from the Concordia Crusaders
    • Stan Marin (Human male), Forward, released by Concordia Crusaders and becomes a free agent
    • Hyde Los (Human male), Forward, released by Concordia Crusaders and becomes a free agent
    • Zed un Ded (Gungan female), Goaltender, released by Concordia Crusaders and becomes a free agent
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik Jedi Gunny Polydroxol

Rebecca_Daniels and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  11. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Romo Crowley
    Monarchs’ War Room, Agamar
    278 Elite League Entry Draft

He was the first person in the room, alone with his thoughts and several datapads filled with scouting reports. Slowly he set down the one he was reading containing a Mock Draft. According to it, by the time the Monarchs pick would come around Ul’kesh, Elbog, Saunders, and Jeffers would all have been taken. They predicted that Rydonni Prime would take one of the two remaining Helmsman nominees, Laura Cellen.

Of course the writer didn’t think that the Monarchs would be taking her because of their poor offensive showing but because “(t)he Monarchs love taking GVSU players, and Cellen’s a good prospect. Should be a win on both accounts.” Romo guessed that writer didn’t take into account that the man who was making the pick didn’t write tuition checks to GVSU like his predecessor.

Slowly his coordinators and coaches filtered into the room. Settling into their seats around the table with a wide variety of beverages and refreshments, Romo remained stoic watching them from behind his tinted glasses. As the pre-draft show started discussing the probables for the Monarchs pick, Dawn Solo-Undolo decided to kick off the discussion in the room, “Well one thing’s for sure. We definitely don’t need any of the five middies on the board.”

Everyone laughed, even Romo chuckled slightly. But all the levity was let out of the room when Romo’s third in line, Jared Remington, opened his mouth, “Well, thanks to glass-jointed Ford, we’re down a defensive back.”

“Excuse me?” Lex Silas, defensive backs coach and former teammate of Ford’s, looked like he was ready to deck his superior, “Glass-jointed Ford? He is the only member of our 271 Draft class that has started and stayed in the starting rotation since being drafted. He anchored our Defense last…

“A defense that now has a gaping hole in it!” Jared shouted over him.

“It’s not like we don’t have a back up!”

“Sugnok?!? Are you kidding me? He’s one stubbed toe away from being banned from limmie for life!”

“He’s been cleared…”

Romo finally had heard enough, “Sit down and shuddup!” He took off his glass and looked between the two men, “Both of you.” He rubbed the bridge of his nose until everyone had settled back in, “We don’t need to worry about the hole in the defense, Mr. Rhemes is taking care of that. Now if you’re not too preoccupied it looks like the Senators are going to make their first pick.

“With the first overall pick in the 278 Elite League Draft, the Coruscant Senators select… Leia Adama, from the University of Bakura at Telaan Valley.”

The head coach found this pick to be surprising, yet not, all at the same time. There had been only one other offense that had been just as lacking as the Monarchs. So the Senators taking a forward was not the surprise, who they took was a shock. Romo never thought that someone who was the product of the Bak10 would ever be selected by Coruscant. As a matter of fact he never expected one to go number one.

“There goes one we could have used,” Piped up Corrie Andersen.

“Not really,” Romo chimed in, “She was never on our board. It would take too much time for us to do all of bad habits drilled into her by Kip Chelly and Hark Melfrich.” Coach Melfrich was Chelly’s successor when the Chelly left for the University of Northern Dependencies. Needless to say Romo wasn’t impressed with them or the sanctions their practices brought UB Telaan Valley.

Quickly Kuat and Ylesia took Elbog and Tunni respectively. “Watch out everyone, there’s a run on forwards.” Jensen Remington joked and watched as Mrs. Vigo of the Starkillers walk towards the podium, “Here goes another one.”

“With the 4th pick of the 278 draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select Lena Roselli.”

Silently Romo put a stylus to smooth surface of his datapad and slowly drew a line through Lana’s name, “That’s one we could have used.” With stunned looks everyone in the room turned to look at him. “Get Setarcos on the comms.”

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

IC: Setarcos Rhemes
    Monarchs’ Table, Draft Floor

“Come on Aebatt, we’ve never had a problem before.”

Even though they both were at the draft, the GMs chatted with one another over their comlinks as if they were lightyears apart. “I know I’ve been around the league a lot lately, but so have you.” He knew that when that news report leaked that he was shopping players around at the end of the season he would have a hard time wheeling and dealing on draft day. But he wasn’t anticipating having to make draft day deals.

That all changed as a result of a meeting he and Romo had the night before. After a couple of cocktails the Badger and Oracle of old came out of hiding with a crazy plan. Setarcos, half hung over, started by placing a few early morning calls to some former colleagues. He was able to fix two of the problems they had created for each other, but still had four more to rectify. “Oh Aebs, you know I only have eyes for you.”

The light on his datapad flashed with message to call Romo ASAP, “You know what… yes… ok… I know I’m on the clock… thank you Dr. Zargana, I look forward to your call.” With a flick of his thumb he disconnected from one call and placed another. “Romo, Arco, whatcha got for me?” The GM listened as his Head Coach and friend pitched him the idea. “Bold, but not unexpected… at least by me. I’ll go make the announcement.”

With a slight spring in his step bounded up to the podium with one name on his mind. “With the Fifth pick in the 278 Elite League Draft, the Rydonni Prime Monarchs select…” he paused for dramatic effect.

Rhonda Gabor, Forward, Republican University Scholars! [​IMG]

“The Coruscant Senators are back on the Clock!”

TAG: Trieste (for the thing) Jedi Gunny (for Pick #6)

12. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    GM Approved!

[​IMG]
    Name: Kaitlyn Vehn
    Birth year: 234
    Physical appearance: Slender, brown hair, 5’8’’
    Homeworld: Druckenwell
    Relation to Team: Owner/General Manager/Mayor of Nar Shaddaa

She has resurrected a franchise in her own image.

She has built a new stadium with her own money.

She has won a Galactic Cup in the greatest sport of them all.

She has fallen from the sky in flames.

She has known the pain and agony of a physical disability.

She has known the beauty of a healing.

She has known the love of a daughter and a son.

She has once ruled an economic union of planets and was exiled.

Now she lives on Nar Shaddaa. Now the galaxy knows her name.

85 billion people call Nar Shaddaa home, 85 billion voices crying out through the stench of garbage, the rot of urban decay, the temptations of prostitution and spice, of gang violence and a police force as corrupt as the Hutt clans. Only one woman can turn the tide for the downtrodden. Only one woman can provide the hope and inspiration to save a moon from self-destruction.

Kaitlyn Vehn is the mayor of Nar Shaddaa.

This is her story….

OOC: She's baaack!!!

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines

• Rydonni Prime trades Lexi Anna (Female, Theelin, HB) & Rayel Edare (Female, Pantoran, H/FF) to Corellia for Corvo Antilles (GK) & Liddy Powe (HB)
    TAG: CPL_Macja

14. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Prelude
    IC: Kaitlyn Vehn
    Six Boroughs Plaza, Nar Shaddaa

Six Boroughs stadium loomed large over the plaza that also bore the same name. The recently constructed stadium stood out from the rest of the cityscape with its sweeping steel girders and heavy use of transparisteel as its prime architectural feature. The stadium was a symbol of modernity and a symbol to all those who walked underneath her long shadow of the fame and glory of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers franchise who played so well under her protective dome. The stadium was also a physical reminder of the impact that Kaitlyn Vehn, owner of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, had on the Vertical City and everyone she came into contact with on a daily basis.

Tonight the stadium was dark as were the headquarters of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at the opposite end of the plaza. The season was well and over with for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. Anyone who cared about the franchise could count all the ways the team had imploded in one of the bloodiest playoff battles in recent memory against the much hated Mando’ade Mercs. Still, despite the close loss, those who bled burgundy and black knew that the Smugglers would not stay dormant for long and that they had fought well on a dark day for the franchise.

Kaitlyn pushed the loss to the back of her mind as she stood in her darkened office and watched the citizens of the upper-scale neighborhood of New Vertica transition into the five other boroughs that seemed to jut out from the plaza like spokes on a wheel. Here, at these crossroads, the great moon came together. Now, tonight, a speech would be made to celebrate her debut as the Mayor of this Vertical City. Already the square below was filling with people. She was minutes away from her personal declaration that would change how this city ran, that would send a message to those who would oppose her, that would shake this place to its very core.

“We’re ready for you, Mayor,” an aide called into the room.

Kaitlyn took one final look at herself in the windows of her office. She was dressed in an intimidating black gown with her hair pulled tight behind her in a pony-tail. Her chiseled face seemed to be even more pronounced now. Her heart was on fire though her blood felt cold as ice. Today she would do her family proud. Today she would show why she had been born in the powerful Ypres family of Druckenwell but had taken on the surname of Vehn to solidify her role as one of the galaxy’s strongest political players. A smile escaped the corner of her mouth as she headed down the hall and out onto the balcony to address the masses. The fallen angel had returned to power and this time she would never let her enemies wrestle that away from her.

Never again.

“Citizens of Nar Shaddaa,” Kaitlyn said over the wind of this mighty city and against the backdrop of holo-images of her face, “I stand before you now as your leader, as your protector, as the only salvation in this dark moon for a better tomorrow. Together we can turn back the plague of drugs and illegal weapons that flood our beloved moon and murder our youth in their prime. Together I promise that we will make the Vertical City a safer place to live!

A small spattering of applause.

“My enemies have already schemed against me to bring me down and they have failed. I assure you that those who were responsible for the attempted assassination on my life shall be brought to justice. There is no dark corner they can hide in on this moon. Not any longer, not any more. Let justice be served!

“ I stand before you now unafraid and humbled by your trust in me. Now, let me reward you with that trust by telling you that my first act as mayor of the Vertical City has already been implemented. For all of us to feel safe we must have a security force capable of providing rapid response to violent acts, capable of going after perpetrators before they strike, capable of protecting our youth at all times of the day, capable of leading us to our salvation. Look, Nar Shaddaa, at how the VCPD serves you!”

Kaitlyn waved her arm in the direction of one of the many roads leading out from the square. Marching in lock-step, armed in heavy riot gear and the latest weaponry in crowd control, were the restored ranks of the Vertical City Police Department who looked far more like a private army than a police force. The crowd shuffled back, cries of fear slipped high into the night, for they had never seen such a heavy presence of the state on their moon before. Kaitlyn smiled and watched with pride as her new army stood before her and the crowd. She had them now. She had the cowards, the rapists, the gang bangers, the drug pushers, the loose women and the much maligned youth right where she wanted them. Cowering in fear, cowering from her unbridled displays of power, cowering back into the shadows from where they had so long tortured those who were truly innocent, truly virtuous, and truly righteous.

“Never again will you have the need to cower in fear from those who may harm your family. Never again will you collapse to your knees in agony as yet another death goes unsolved or unattended. This revamped VCPD force is here to serve you, to protect you, to provide you with everything you might need to feel safe. You voted me in so that I could change the culture of the Vertical City. That culture starts with the very men and women tasked with protecting this city.

“Only together can we save Nar Shaddaa. Only together can we save this beautiful moon for future generations. Only together can we move forward to better times. I pledge to make Nar Shaddaa safe, prosperous, and whole once more! Only by moving together forward can we have peace!”

The crowd could see the writing on the wall now and yet they did nothing to stop their personal freedoms from slowly being sucked away from them. They wanted safety and security. They were willing to sacrifice much for that. Far too much.

“Together forward!” Kaitlyn roared above the wind, closed fist held high above her head.

The crowd responded in kind and chanted, “Together forward! Together forward! Together forward!”

Kaitlyn reveled in the adorations of the crowd. This was right. This was how it always should have been. Her enemies were numerous, she knew, but she would crush them one by one. She would destroy their homes. She would incarcerate their friends.
    She would give newfound power to a security force that had long been unable to control the Six Boroughs of Nar Shaddaa.

Yes, at long last, Nar Shaddaa was hers and there was not a damn thing anyone could do about that.

Tag: No One

15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: Adenn Vizsla
    278 ELL First year player draft, Agamar

Vizsla had come into his new job as the Mercs GM to find the front office in a state of considerable disarray. It seemed that they had been operating under some...interesting instructions from Ms. Felps, instructions that made so many of the odd moves from the now deceased former owner make sense. The scouting department was looking two or three years down the road, not at any of the current candidates. Apperently the only man who had cared to look forward to next year had been his predecessor, and he had deleted the contents of his notes prior to quitting. It left the Mercs in the position of having virtually no actionable intel to go on heading into this draft. So rather than fire blind, Vizsla had done the next best thing. He tried to make moves to trade out of the 278 draft.

That was easier said than done. The lateness of the Mercs draft picks made them none too desirable to other teams. Fortunately the Euceron Storm were looking to move back in the draft for their own reasons. They offered their 1st rounder (the 4th overall in the draft) for the Merc's 1st and 2nd rounders. Vizsla knew he would have a much easier time moving the 4th overall pick than the 9th and 18th overall. So in order to move back, he first moved forward. He jumped at the deal. He then shopped the 4th pick and waited for the bites.

It didn't take long before the Ralltiir Starkillers made known their willingness to part with their 1st and 3rd rounders next season for the 4th pick and the Mercs 3rd rounder (the last in the draft) this season. Vizsla took some time considering that one. It could easily be a bust if the Starkillers went deep in the playoffs, but it did serve to get the Mercs out of this draft, which had been the goal all along, as well as stockpile some decent picks for the 279 draft. He took the deal.

Of course he also had to worry about the bevy of expiring contracts on the Merc's roster. From what he could gather the previous regime was going to let them all go. That was something Vizsla knew he wouldn't do. He started, naturally enough, with the starters. Keeping players like Argo Mor'kesh and "Killer" K'Karlson was a no brainer. Not only had the team captain and the enforcer on the defense earned their keep from their previous contracts, they were fan favorites as well. Given that Vizsla's new boss was in effect those same fans it made good sense to keep them.

Next up was starting goaltender Mij Katan. Katan had played unevenly this past season, at times he was great and at others (including the Galactic Cup) he had been awful. From his time as the coach of the Mercs, Vizsla knew that this was because of his propensity to rely on his own athleticism. He was too aggressive between the pipes, and in trying for the big save he too often was caught out of position. Their backup goaltender, the Chiss "Thorn", played the exact opposite style of goaltending, and given the Mercs hard hitting style of defense was actually a better fit. Vizsla had suspected it before, but after seeing the game from the other side now he knew it. Katan was still a good goaltender, so he would be retained, but his time as a starter was passed.

The final starter was the Zabrak, Pedro. He too flashed signs of brilliance undercut by those moments where he seemed absolutley clueless. He needed more seasoning, either at the LFL level (though Vizsla suspected he had nothing left to learn in the Futures league) or perhaps coming off the bench. The more he thought about it, the bench seemed the best fit. Braun was a savvy enough coach to use the Zabrak in situations that he could handle. That would continue to give the young corner forward confidence. Mereel would be brought back up from the Crusaders to take his place in the starting lineup. From afar his demotion had never made any sense to the Mercs new GM, though knowing what he did now he saw the logic in it, as disgusting as it was.

The starters taken care of (along with a few demotions and promotions) Vizsla then concentrated on the bench players with expiring contracts. The midfielder, Vau had again announced his retirement from the game of meshgeroya. Asked in his self called press conference if anything could have kept him in the game he had responded only with "duh, winning." To be honest Vizsla was glad to be rid of the man and his antics. Corner forward Tsulkalu would be let go. The Wookiee still had plenty left in the tank, but Vizsla hadn't liked what he had seen of him when he had scouted for the title game. Too much reliance on his size and not enough on technique. His loss would leave a hole to be filled on the roster, but Vizsla was sure that it could be filled via free agency. His fellow corner forward Rollko would be kept on a one year contract as would back up full forward Lycar Naughten.

Next up were Jaya "Barefoot" Tam and Maggie Adams. Vizsla wanted to retain them both, but they were playing hardball with their contracts. Tam wanted more money than Vizsla had been prepared to pay, and Adams wanted more years. Both of their agents were taking things to the wire and Vizsla doubted whether he would have either in the fold by the time the draft had ended. Still he held out hopes that at least one could be retained. Losing either of them would mean once again having to dip into free agency in order to fill out the Merc's roster. Of course there were options down at the LFL level, but the Crusaders had just come off their worst season in franchise history. The armory down there was pretty bare, and those players whose contracts were expiring (Marin, Los and the odd Gungan goaltender, un Ded) were let go without much thought.

That brought Vizsla to the present. The Mercs had traded away their picks in this draft, yet they still wanted to be represented with a table. Vizsla felt it important to make his presence as the new GM known, especially at an event as important as the draft. The future of any ELL team began here, and though the Mercs weren't taking part, Vizsla knew that the moves he was making now would someday build a champion.

TAG: No one.

[​IMG]

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines

• Bree Tarth and Mira Kashvili announce their retirement from the Elite League
    • Ike Tullo resigned to three year contract with the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    • Bakura Miners and Nar Shaddaa Smugglers to play preseason friendly at Bakura Gardens (August 3)
    TAG: Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Gark S’rily
    Agamar

Work on figuring out who would be taken in the second round with the first pick of said round had been interrupted by a call. Gark took the call; it turned out to be Tim Dodd, the owner/GM/everything for the Agamar Packers. The Bothan wasn’t sure why Dodd was calling, but took it all the same.

As it turned out, the Packers were willing to move their draft picks for the current year. Gark quickly called for a roster, and a datapad was handed to him. Everyone in the room paused to watch the ‘Magic Bothan’ work; despite having bad teams the last two years, he was renowned for his willingness to swing trades. As Gark scanned his roster, he found some pieces that he knew the Senators didn’t need any longer. He offered them to Dodd for the late Packer picks, but when Dodd decided that all of his picks could be moved for these players, Gark pulled the trigger immediately. His franchise needed the picks badly, and he was willing to move the players in question.

The trade was sent in to the league offices while the Triforce were on the clock, and eventually the Packer logo on the draft board in all three pick slots were replaced with the crested man that adorned the Senator logo. Gark smiled, knowing that he had made quite a deal. Both Rana Lel Dey and Cord McKerty hadn’t been going anywhere with the Senators; McKerty had talent, but his production had dropped the past few seasons, and the incident last year with the crowd had made him expendable. Lel Dey had some skills that were rather impressive, but didn’t fit in well with the Senator defensive system. It was time to move on, Gark figured. In exchange the Senators now had three new picks to play around with, including the sixth overall selection. This put the War Room back into motion for first-round action, something they had earlier thought wasn’t going to be the case.

“Now we can get another impact player,” Peet Carelle said. “I like the move.”

“Dumping old players, plus their salary, is a win right now,” Polis commented. “So, that being said, who do we take?”

“I like the look of Roselli,” Rosa Berant said. “She is a versatile back who could help us at all three major position groups. That’s the kind of toughness and mental fortitude you need at this level.”

“I’m not sure if she’s going to be around at six,” Gark said. “Someone likely will take her, unless they need a full back. Then Jeffers is the likely bet.”

The Triforce took Noj Elbog, whom the Senators had considered for the first overall pick but had passed on. Any trade talks involving Max Qorbus had fallen through, so it looked like the Nautolan was going to stick it out on the Senator roster in 278. That, coupled with recently-completed trades for Syra Kuna with the Ylesia Lightning and Gemma Sal-Solo with the Corellia Rebels, filled the corner forward slots in the preliminary roster. Therefore, Elbog had been seen as stuck on Thyferra until further notice. Ylesia went next and took Tadhari Tunni, out of the University of Kuat. She had been down on the draft stock board, but the Lightning obviously liked her skills.

Now Ralltiir was up. The Mercs came calling with this pick after acquiring it from the Euceron Storm, but no deal was made from the Senators War Room, and the Starkillers ended up receiving it.

“They could use some defense after being lights-out earlier in the year,” Gark said.

The Starkillers ended up taking Roselli, which made the Senator staff frown. Now the utility back was off the board, which sucked mightily for the struggling Senator defense. Now up was Rydonni Prime; they badly needed a forward, being second-worst in the points scored category in 277. The run on forwards had ended with Roselli, but it looked like it might pick up again if the Monarchs followed traditional wisdom.

“They don’t need defense,” Polis said. “They certainly shut this team down last year.”

“Everyone shut us down last year,” Gark said with a snarl.

“But a forward would be a smart play,” Peet said. “Need offensive production.”

The Monarchs finally announced that Rhonda Gabor would be their selection. Rosa was intrigued, because Gabor had recently been one of her players with Republican University. Now she was going to stay in the same conference in the Elite League.

“No conflict of interest,” Pete told the blonde-haired defensive coordinator. “Gabor can’t be let free in your defensive zone because she once played for you.”

“Oh don’t worry, I intend to make it hard on her,” Rosa replied bluntly. “She won’t get any freebies from my defense.”

“Which brings us to our pick,” Gark said, cutting into the conversation. “We are in a good position right now with this pick, and can make any number of selections. Do we go for another forward to fill out the roster, or do we try to take a midfielder or goalie here to give us a talent there?”

“Defense seems kinda set at the moment, so I think we should go offense,” Polis piped up.

“Meeks is available,” Me’lin said.

“But we will likely pass on her, like we did with Elbog,” Gark said. “We need a half forward or two. Thyferra has some talent there, but I’d like to make sure we have a stacked team here.”

“What about Cellen?” Mac Johnson, the head scout, asked. “The Monarchs passed on her, which seems odd given her background. But their loss can be our gain. Helmsman nominee.”

“Doesn’t mean as much as it used to, apparently,” Gark said. “Look at Ul’kesh. He won the award, and yet is still on the board. That never used to happen.”

“I think this is a golden opportunity to pick up a forward,” Peet remarked. “We may not have another chance.”

“And we certainly need offense,” Polis chipped in. “I want to have a multitude of weapons available to play with during the offseason.”

“Then just go with the smart play,” Rosa said.

“All right,” Gark said. He walked out of the room and to the podium in the Draft hall. It felt like he had just been here, which he had. “First off, I want to apologize that we don’t have another jersey to hand out for this pick. Either that, or we should just recycle the other one.” Some laughs came from the crowd. “With the sixth overall pick, the Coruscant Senators select Laura Cellen, Forward from Grand Vulpter System University.”

[​IMG]

Cellen came forward from the crowd to get her Holos taken with the Senator GM, and was then directed to go to the team table on the draft floor below. Gark then returned to the War Room after commenting that Ralltiir was on the clock, and his staff was already gearing up for their next pick. One round down, Gark knew, two to go.

TAG: Runjedirun

18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

I didn’t bother to hide my excitement. Roselli would be a great addition to our defensive line-up. I assisted T.J. in fist pumping with me, “Good choice, Vigo.”

I suspected it hadn’t been Richard’s decision, but there were two other Vigo’s in the war room. Mrs. Vigo and Bat had both made the trip to Agamar along with Trey who was also hopefully getting some input on who the draft choices were. I was looking forward to his play by play about how the draft went when he got back home in a few days. Rydonni Prime was next to make their pick. They chose Gabor. I tried not to show any emotion. Spencer began to throw the blocks he had been stacking for T.J. at my holovision.

“Now we lost two of next year’s picks for nothing!” Spencer lashed out.

“Whoa,” I said reaching down to gently grab his shoulders. “Let’s not take it out on my holo, besides there are plenty of good picks left on the board. Including the top defensive player.”

“Don’t tell me what to do,” Spencer said shrugging me off. “Richard made that trade just to get Gabor and now she’s gone. It was a stupid trade to begin with even if we got Gabor. We didn’t even need her.”

“Maybe we’ll get something more valuable now that she’s off the board,” I tried.

“We have no use for five picks in this draft,” Spencer said angrily. “My brother wanted to draft a player from Republican, but it backfired. He screwed up,” Spencer yelled as he grabbed the final block in front of him and threw it as well.

I noticed that Andres had taken his feet off the caf table. He was sitting up listening intently to our exchange. Tomas turned from his position with a look of shock on his face to stare at his brother. Lucie had also come to the entrance of the room she stood with her arms crossed looking at Spencer. The blocks he had thrown at the holo were lightweight and made of plastic. Even though he had hurled them fairly hard I doubt they could have done any damage. It wasn’t my style to get angry, “Things could still work out in our favor,” I encouraged calmly. “There are plenty of good top defensive players left.”

I watched Lucie roll her eyes at me. She thought I was much too passive. “That won’t help us next season,” I heard Spencer mumble under his breath.

“It gives us time to develop those players in case we need them next season. We shouldn’t need picks next season. The only expiring contract besides Jul’s is Poletin’s and I’m fairly certain he’s happy here. I think your brother’s decision is more solid than you realize.” It was something I had given a lot of thought since leaving Till’s office. At first I had been perplexed by the trade, but the more thought I gave it the more it made sense.

“You better be right,” Spencer told me as he leaned back against the footrest of the sofa in his spot on the floor to listen to Coruscant’s next pick as Gark S’rily took the podium. The run on forwards continued as he announced Laura Cellen to be their pick. It would be interesting to see what the Starkillers would do here. If they wanted a forward the time to pick one was now. While there will still some left on the board. We had a great offense though and I knew if Trey had any say in this war room we would pick Lou Jeffers.

Lucie entered the room and took a seat next to me giving T.J. a kiss on the forehead. Her mother once again approached the podium. “With the 7th overall pick in the 278 draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select Lou Jeffers, Imperial College of Bastion.”

The young man smiled and ran up the steps of the stage taking them two at a time. He shook hands with Mrs. Vigo, grabbed the jersey she offered him and quickly pulled it over his head. He looked a little over eager to join an already stacked defense. Mrs. Vigo took it all in stride, never missing a beat as she welcomed him to the team and announced that the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers were now on the clock.

Tag: Vehn

19. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Kaitlyn Vehn
    278 Elite League Limmie Draft, Agamar

“We should go defense,” Beauregard ‘Bo’ Thomas, the defensive coordinator pressed.

“Kashvili and Tarth are officially retired,” Lilly pointed out as she twirled a pen in her fingers. “We have holes in the back.”

“Offensively I feel we’re set. We have most of the core group from last year returning. We smacked our conference around last year and I feel we can do so again,” Head Coach John Huntington added.

Kaitlyn studied the data streaming in from all around the Holonet. Something wasn’t quite right here. Something wasn’t quite right in her mind. There’d been a run on forwards. Everyone hoping to add more firepower to their anemic teams and she wished them the best. Good teams, strong franchises, weren’t built overnight. The goal, always, was the long-term haul. That was why Nar Shaddaa had won two titles in five years. That was why Bakura had built a dynasty in a similar span and her respectable rivals weren’t even participating in this year’s draft.

276 had been her most successful draft when she’d brought aboard Erin Windreaver and Mylessa McCloud. Last year had been an exercise in futility as most of the talent wasn’t very good and the sole draft pick, Fianna Ragnos, now sat on the Smuggler bench destined to perpetually warm the seat. This year, Kaitlyn wanted to strike hard once more. She wouldn’t field any calls. She wouldn’t make any trades. She would sit tight and watch how the board unfolded.

“Our turn to pick,” John said.

Kaitlyn nodded and stood from her seat at the head of the Smuggler war room. There was one target in mind today.

“Zelena Wiles,” Kaitlyn said.

“She’s a little rough around the edges,” Lilly gently said.

“I could use her talent in the back,” Bo insisted.

“Small school, I like what you’re thinking,” John said.

“Pull the trigger,” Kaitlyn ordered.

“With the eighth pick in the 278 Elite League Limmie Draft,” Lars Steelhead announced wearing his infamous ‘Blasters Don’t Kill People, I Kill People’ t-shirt, “the Nar Shaddaa Smuggler select,”

A drunken WHAAAAT escaped the lips of ‘The Crew’.

Zelena Wiles Half Back, Prytis College of Natural Sciences.”

[​IMG]

Zelena went nuts and did a cart-wheel across the stage drawing raucous cheers. She posed for the traditional photo and then hugged John Huntington who had presented the Smuggler jersey.

Kaitlyn watched quietly from the shadows and nodded her head in approval. This was good. This was what her franchise needed another bruiser in the back, another lady to lay down the law and
    another human to make Kaitlyn Vehn seem incredibly specist.

That was just fine with her.

Tag:jcgoble3

20. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    New CS incoming, Trieste approved!

Name: Mirik Chal
    Birth year: 230
    Physical appearance:
    [​IMG]
    Home world: Naboo
    Relation to Team: General Manager
    Brief Biography:

The idyllic world of Naboo was not enough for Mirik's ambitions. Not the most socially adept but with a dangerous combination of sharp business senses and a passion for athletics, she went through college playing Limmie and earning a business degree. Though she had a brief stint in the PLL, Mirik had more of an interest in management and those who knew her were more than happy to recommend her for a position; having represented herself in contract negotiations, she had always managed finagle things so that she was being paid more than her worth. Initially she spent time as an agent for players in lower-tier pro leagues, then was offered a position as an assistant general manager for a college team. Not particular about which team she worked for, Mirik managed various different college Limmie teams before she received the offer of a jump to the Elite League. Assistant to a wily Togruta who hated humans almost as much as she appreciated Mirik's skills, brought in only as a political move during a tumultuous time on Ylesia, Mirik still made a place for herself in convincing players to sign to lower values, which made their Hutt owner very happy and in turn kept her in her job. Once things had calmed down, Raakla To grudgingly kept her around, though refused year after year to participate in drafts - another particular skill of Mirik's, due to her history with college teams. Eventually, having been left overseeing much of the team's finances, she began to notice inconsistencies, and, with the help of Lejique Beiron, confronted Raakla To, who was subsequently arrested on numerous counts including embezzling. This left Mirik as one of the only remaining front office staff, with coaches already having been fired and now short a general manager. But after discussions with the team's owner, Otta, she was given the promotion and left to put the team's staff back together - and even given permission to start allowing more humans onto the team.

--------

IC: Mirik Chal
    Agamar

Changes were in the air for the Lightning. Her predecessor had never been willing to pull the trigger on major change for the team, only making the easy moves of letting coaches go after a poor season. Of course, the woman was now locked up for what would likely be the remainder of her wretched life, and could do no more harm to the team or anyone surrounding it. And no longer treating Mirik's opinions like bantha poodoo.

There were a lot of question marks leading into the draft. Still without a head coach, they were moving forward anyway; whoever she hired would just have to deal with her decisions at the draft. But being in charge, having to bring a new coach in, meant that every roster position was up in the air. She'd already dealt the Kuna sisters to the struggling Senators; their own poor season had necessitated a change to their offense. It also meant more space for the Thunder prospects, give them a chance to make the team.

But the trade had left some Twi'lek shaped holes up front and she had to do something to fill them. Unfortunately for her, she had to balance more than filling the roster by need.

Tadhara Tunni had not been her first choice, though the girl would never know. At half forward, she'd end up on Eriadu for a long time unless she immediately impressed; still, she'd been singled out for the Lombardee. But with only humans higher up Mirik's list, she knew she had to take the alien. Her first draft as the first human GM for the Lightning and she picked a human? They'd mob her. No, this was safer. In the second or third round she might still be able to pick up one of the full forwards on her list.

Though she'd let Lokensgaard announce their pick, she greeted Tadhara personally as they took holos. There weren't many in the holo, though it didn't stop the Devaronian from baring sharp teeth in what Mirik assumed was happiness. The draft pick's family was there, of course, but Mirik's team consisted only of herself and her two recent hirings, assistant Ina Viyai, another Devaronian, and Thunder head coach Shor Dol, a Kel Dor. Their only remaining coach, their defensive coordinator, had felt no need to be at the draft after they'd decided not to take any defense; now that there seemed to be a run on forwards, she was reconsidering that stance and told Ina to see if she could get a line to Chahrki before their second round pick.

It was mostly a waiting game after that first pick. She could no more control another team's picks than they could hers; her list was clear, and with only two other voices in the mix it was not hard to come to a consensus, leaving her mind time to turn to other problems.

Namely the Kasin Urdaaza problem.

Kasin had been out of contact since her return - not missing this time, simply having all her calls screened by overprotective family members. While they had Korlo Penin ready and eager to step in should he be needed, Mirik was stuck with a dilemma as to their goalkeeping situation. Neither would be happy being relegated to the bench should Kasin return, and if Kasin wasn't up to form she could very well end up there. But if she returned to her previous abilities, Korlo would be on the sidelines, and after his incredible performances the past season he didn't deserve that relegation.

But this was all speculation; the way things were going, Mirik wasn't convinced Kasin would return at all. She sympathised with the trauma the woman must have gone through but having a straightforward answer would make the remainder of the offseason go much smoother. After all, Kasin was a name, and would increase their prospective coaching pool; without her, who did they have? Their aging captain? No, they needed Kasin.

A message came in while waiting for the second round to begin, an answer to an earlier inquiry about the coaching position: Kyril Lopaki was more than interested, and would be on Ylesia for an interview in a few days. He had been her preference, having worked with him at the college level in the past. The only issue was if he was kicked out for conflict of interest; his daughter was signed to the Eriadu Thunder, though not directly to the Lightning. With that sort of position he could easily influence his daughter's rise, or hinder it. But Mirik knew he would do the team good, and she would step in personally if she had to. Lopaki also said he had an offensive coordinator they should talk to, a Rodian. She made a note of his name and passed it off to Ina to check out; they did need more alien staff if they ended up hiring Lopaki; a human GM and a human head coach on the pro-alien Lightning, what had things come to?

Shor Dol interrupted her thoughts to point out a couple players that had fallen further than expected, particularly a couple that would do well to supplement at least the Thunder, if not immediately making the jump to the Lightning. Their next pick approached, and so she set aside future problems for current ones, reworking her lists yet again.

TAG: No one

Vehn, Jedi Gunny, CPL_Macja and 2 others like this.
  21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines

• Starkillers and Lightning to play Battle for the Sky friendly at Peace City Gardens (August 3)
    • Rydonni Prime announces its slate of preseason games with traditional opponents: vs Loronar Colonials (July 30), at Byblos Red Wings (August 3), and vs Balmorra Blasters (August 6)
    TAG: CPL_Macja Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun

22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC
    Salis D’aar, Bakura

One, two, three, four.

She counted them every time she looked in the mirror. She didn’t know why she still did. They never changed. They never went away. They were always right there. One slanting across her forehead. One bisecting the right side of her lips. One underneath her left eye and another below that, straighter across.

She should have been habituated to them by now. She’d looked at them for over a decade. But she knew that they were the first thing that everyone saw when they looked at her, the thing that caused their eyes to turn away for a moment before politeness reasserted itself, before beings looked her straight in the eyes so as to not look at them. She counted them every day, perhaps as a way of reminding herself what everyone else saw, so she never forgot that she would never be treated as completely normal.

It was especially important today that she remembered this. Today, May Trieste, MD, had her first day of work at Belden General Hospital in Salis D’aar as a resident. It would be the first time her coworkers would see the scars on her face that she’d carried with her for years.

May was here because of her cousin Falene, the Taoiseach. Without Falene, May would never have been assigned a residency on Bakura. She would have had a fine life anywhere else--most likely on Naboo where she had attended medical school at Theed University--but she had wanted to come back to Bakura. She was a Trieste. This was her homeland, even if she had been born on Roon.

And yet she hadn’t gotten used to her new home. Salis D’aar was bigger than Nime, the largest city on her homeworld of Roon she’d grown up. It was more sleek and modern than Theed with its classic marble architecture. She felt like she should belong here, but she at the same time she felt like she didn’t belong at all.

Case and point--upon arrival she’d not had to check into a hotel. Instead, a hovertaxi had brought her to what the Noble House called the Plaza, the seven story residence in southeast Salis D’aar that served as the Triestes’ home (or base of operations depending on who you asked and their opinion of the Noble House) in the Bakuran capital. Built by May’s grandfather Fionn Trieste as part of the reconstruction of Bakura, it was one of the great residences of upper class Salis’ Daar as evidenced by its enviable architectural taste. The Plaza was also barely inhabited at present, being occupied only by the Eldreds. As a result, May had been given an entire floor for herself, already furnished, “but we can get different things if you don’t like these,” her Aunt Regan had said when showing her around, “We’ve got other furniture lying around in storage. I think. Atticus, do we have other furniture?”

“This is your family’s house,” Atticus said, “I just live here.”

“When you set your mind to it, you can be completely unhelpful,” Regan said deprecatingly.

“My mother always said I could do anything if I set my mind to it,” her husband replied wryly.

Currently, May was only using two rooms of the entire floor. It was odd, and yet she knew she should feel like this was home. This was Bakura. She had felt called to come here. Yet she didn’t feel like she belonged here.

Then again, Naboo had felt similarly foreign when she’d begun at Theed University and soon enough she’d settle in. Maybe this would pass. After all, she’d only had her sister on Naboo, a sister with whom she had never really connected, a sister who had left for Coruscant not too long after May had arrived. She had an entire extended family here.

This was a new chapter in her life and that would require some adjustments. That was what she told herself as she took the lift down to the ground floor. Aunt Regan had said that they’d arrange to have a speeder service for her until she got a speeder of her own (“or learned the mass transit routes if you prefer that”). May had to admit that it was nice that on her first day she wouldn’t have to worry about how to get to work.

When she stepped out of the lift into the private court where speeders loaded and unloaded at the Plaza, May found a sharp, sleek dark blue two seater enclosed speeder waiting for her. It had tinted windows and at May’s appearance one of the doors raised itself automatically.

“Heard you’d appreciate a ride for your first day at school.”

“I just graduated from medical school,” May said in response to her cousin’s teasing, “so I think we call this the first day at work.”

“I thought being a resident meant you’re still learning,” Falene Trieste said as the cousin furthest from her on the family tree buckled in.

“Kind of,” May said.

“But you are a doctor, right?” Falene said as she put the speeder into gear and zipped into traffic.

May found herself clutching the door handle from the sudden acceleration. She willed herself to relax. Salis D’aar traffic was a little more intense than Nime or Theed--and her cousin appeared to be a bit of a daring driver. She must like getting kicks in places other than the limmie pitch. “Being a resident means you’re supervised, but yes, I’m a doctor,” May said.

“Oh that’s good,” Falene said.

“Why, do you want me to listen to you cough?” May kidded.

“Not right now,” Falene said as she switched lanes with the most cursory of glances, “but I do want you to be my new doctor.”

“Wait, you do?” May said with surprise.

“Yeah. Who better than family?” Falene posited, “Besides, you’re trained in the latest techniques and I know you’re going to do the best for me that you can.”

“I’m flattered Falene. I’d be happy to do that for you,” May said. She should be. She owed Falene a lot. For all of the supposed “openness” that the resettlement had brought, the world was still not the most welcoming place to outsiders. At least she was human. From the way her cousins talked about politics, however, Bakura had a long way to go in alien acceptance.

“I hope I can add something to the medical care that you get through the Miners. I’m sure their medical staff is quite good,” May continued.

“Well that’s what I mean,” Falene said, “I want you on the medical staff of the Miners.”

May’s eyes went wide. “What?”

“That’s where I’m going to have my most pressing medical needs should worst come to worst,” Falene continued, “so it makes sense for you to be there when I have them.”

“But Falene--well, first, I’m flattered, but I have to be on call for 80 hours every week,” May said as nicely as possible. It was a notoriously tough slog as a resident. “I don’t think I’d have time to do home games, let alone travel with the team.”

“I’ve already spoken with Han--Han Tunross, team physician, good guy, friend of Quinn’s, you’ll like him--and we think we can work out an arrangement where your time with the team is counted towards those hours. He knows doctors at Belden General who he thinks can negotiate that with them,” Falene continued, “That’ll include all of your travel. When we do road trips you’ll be getting a lot of those on call hours taken care of with a lot less stress.”

That was actually a very nice arrangement...but she wasn’t sure how her bosses at Belden General would like that, even if they agreed to it. “The point of a residency is to learn from experienced doctors, Fae,” May said, “I’d lose a lot of that.”

“Han runs his own practice in the offseason. Working under him you’ll pick up a lot and you can use a lot of the travel time to pick up tricks from him. Trust me, he keeps busy during the season,” Falene said, “Obviously you wouldn’t just work on me--you’d do the whole team. You’ll get exposed to the non-humans on the team, which may not happen that often at Belden. Plus you’ll do your time at Belden the rest of the year. It’ll only be nine, twelve weeks tops, and that’s if we go deep in the playoffs.”

“Yeah, well, you did that recently so I like your chances,” May pointed out with a smirk.

“Sometimes we play okay out there,” Falene said with a coy smile of her own. Winning the Galactic Cup of Limmie was hardly “playing okay.”

Clearly Falene had thought this out thoroughly. May remembered what Falene had told her when she’d agreed to intercede on her behalf to get her a residency on Bakura: there was a price to be paid, but that Falene didn’t keep score with her family.

Falene was not trying to remind her of that favor now, but May knew that she should remember it all the same. It seemed that being a member of the Noble House of Trieste meant knowing--and owning up to--the real weight of a favor.

“Well, it would be a unique way to get some experience,” May admitted.

“Good! Then it’s settled!” Falene said with a smile, “Trust me, it’ll be fun. You’ll get to be on field for the games and everything. You’ll make all the other kids at school jealous. And here we are.” The speeder quickly came to a halt, almost throwing May against her seat belt. It was an appropriately abrupt stop for the drive, which May was pretty sure shouldn’t have taken as short a time as it had.

“Work--not school,” May repeated before she stepped out, “Thanks for the ride.”

“Have a good first day at school!” Falene called out the door cheerfully.

“Mommmmmmmmmm! You’re embarrassing me!” May replied cheekily before closing the door behind her.

She heard the beginning of Falene’s laughter before the door shut. May looked up at the transparisteel facade of Belden General. It was impressive, befitting one of Bakura’s best hospitals. She looked over her shoulder and watched Falene zip off with the same fearless alacrity that she’d displayed on the way there.

May’s face became serious, befitting the scars that crossed it. Life on Bakura had not started at all the way that May Trieste had expected it would. Life being in the heart of the Noble House of Trieste did not appear to be as simple as she’d thought.

Me approved!

[​IMG]
    Name: May Trieste
    Birth Year: 257 ABY
    Physical appearance: See above. (More detailed scarring pattern)
    Homeworld: Roon
    Relation to Team: Medical staff
    Brief Biography: The youngest child of a youngest child, May Trieste was born and raised on Roon as part of the Trieste-Vehn family that was created through the marriage of Oisin Trieste and former Nar Shaddaa Smugglers owner Verity Vehn. As a child, May was presented with the choice of keeping the Trieste surname or adopting the Vehn’s. She was the only one of her siblings who stayed a Trieste. Despite regular attendance at Nar Shaddaa Smuggler games, her father quietly inculcated an appreciation of the Miners in May.

Early in life, May demonstrated incredible aptitude and advanced through the educational system rapidly. She pursued university studies at an age when her peers were in high school. At the age of 17 she passed medical school qualifying exams and enrolled at Theed University to become a general practitioner, like her mother before her. After graduation, her cousin Falene, at Oisin and May’s request, used the influence of the Noble House to arrange for May to intern at Belden General Hospital in Salis D’aar on Bakura. May has now joined the medical staff of the Miners limmie team at Falene’s request.

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    HSN College Headlines:

Breaking News:
    • Palentine University (SEC) players take a vote to form the first college Limmie players union.
    • HSN Analyst: "This could dramatically shift the landscape of major college Limmie, and of college sports in general."
    • Questions being asked about the legality of stipends for student-athletes, which is believed to have been the starting point for the players' actions.
    • Super 16 Commissioner: "Stipends for athletes are being looked at for this conference, but much headway needs to be made before any changes will occur."
    • Palentine Player: "We just want the right to organize and get better conditions as students and as athletes".
    • Palentine U President does not comment to the media on this developing story.
    TAG: Everyone

24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Coruscant to play preseason friendly at Alsakan Flyers (August 3)

Bonus roll for Rydonni Prime in their friendly today.

Friendly Results
    Loronar Colonials at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (31-34)

TAG: CPL_Macja Jedi Gunny

25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    OOC: Decided to post this now while we wait for the draft to begin again. The following events take place after the draft. I want to thank Jedi Gunny for inspiring me to write about training camp and Mike Golic for sharing stories on the radio that also helped to inspire this post.

The weeks between the draft and training camp went by quickly. Justyne gave birth to a little boy whom she gave the name Martin. Martin Fortune, who quickly became known as Marty, often accompanied Andres to a private park near my new house where we practiced drills together so we could do our best to be ready when camp began. Marty would sleep or stay content in his carrier for hours. T.J. was crawling, getting into everything and he cried mercilessly if you tried to contain him. Spencer was good enough to ride along with Andres and watch T.J. while we got our workouts in, but I had to pay him. On days when Tomas wasn’t attending the youth Limmie camp his mother had enrolled him in he tagged along to run drills with us.

The night before training camp started Tomas had a request. “Can we go visit my dad,” he asked as we sat in the park drinking water and eating recovery chews.

“You mean his grave?” I asked.

"We haven’t been since the funeral,” Spencer said coming to join us. He had been entertaining T.J. on swings several yards away. “With camp starting tomorrow and Dad not being here, well we miss him a lot right now and we just want to go say hi.”

“I can take you guys on the way home,” Andres said. “It’s no problem.”

"Will you come too?” Tomas asked turning towards me.

“I should ask your sister if she wants to go,” I said pulling out my data pad. As soon as Lucie was ready we piled into two speeders and headed up the mountains overlooking Cambrielle. The view of the city from above was breathtaking. When we reached the clearing where Martin was lay to rest we landed and got out. Lucie grabbed her brothers’ hands and led them to their father’s grave. Andres and I each with a baby boy in our arms followed at a distance. When we got close we could hear them speaking to their father each in turn.

“I decided to dance again, dad.” Lucie said leading off. “I’m also putting together a tribute in your honor for opening day. I hope you like it.”

“Richard drafted some really good defensive players,” Spencer said speaking up. “Camp starts tomorrow, they won’t let us down. There won’t be any shut outs this season.” He promised. “The new stadium is on schedule,” he added. “Mom has been letting me oversee the building process.”

"I got my grades up,” Tomas explained. “I earned my spot back on the sidelines. And I’ve been working real hard at Limmie too. I wish you could see me play.”

“He can see you,” I assured Tomas as I walked up and put my free hand on his shoulder. There were tears in Tomas’ eyes. For a while we all just sat around in silence.

Lucie hugged her brother’s close and allowed her own tears to fall. “We need to go,” she said at last. “T.J. has his first day at daycare tomorrow. I have a morning of rehearsals and an afternoon of meetings. You have camp,” she said looking at me.

I nodded and got up off the ground. Andres took Spencer and Tomas home. I flew my own family back to our house. The next morning came all too quickly. I was lying in bed contemplating getting up when Lucie walked in the bedroom in short shorts and a t-shirt that didn’t quite cover her midriff. I reached out eagerly and gave her a smack on the rear. “Not now,” she said holding back a smile. “I have to be ready for rehearsal.”

I sat up fully in the bed and she began to give me instructions. “T.J.’s bag is packed. I put it on the kitchen table; all you need to do is add the milk bottles from the ice box.” She stood in front of her dresser applying eye liner and lip gloss as she spoke. “Make sure to find out if he’s allowed to have his own blanket for nap time and be sure to dress him in an outfit that matches.”

“Why don’t you get him dressed?” I asked knowing I would mess it up.

“Because he’s still asleep, and I have to leave now.” She said glancing at the chrono. She turned around and gave me a kiss before she ran out of the room. “Have a good first day of camp,” she called as she rushed down the stairs.

“Thanks; have a good day,” I called absentmindedly.

I somehow managed to get T.J. his bag, myself and my gear into my speeder on time. When I pulled up to the daycare I got a weird feeling. Parents were getting out of speeders with babies, some with slightly older children, some who had 3 or 4 children. I was a parent. Ever since I asked Lucie to marry me I’d planned on having children with her someday. Just not this soon, we had gotten the surprise of our lives during the 276 season when she found out she was expecting. The shock wore off to elation and then devastation when she lost the baby early in pregnancy. I went to work as soon as the doctors cleared her and suddenly here I was at a daycare with the other dad’s and a little guy in the backseat who depended on me to look after him.

There was actually a queasy feeling in my stomach. It felt a little bit like running out of the tunnel on game day. Surreal. I got out of the speeder and walked around to unstrap T.J. from his safety seat. I took him inside. I was introduced to his care takers and he quickly squirmed out of my arms to join the other little people on a carpet littered with blocks and other toys. I tried to say good-bye but he didn’t even turn around. He was too interested in a miniature musical instrument he had found. “It’s okay,” the caretaker assured me. “He will have a good day here, will you be back to pick him up this afternoon?”

“No,” I said shaking my head. “My wife will be by. I will see him after camp I guess.”

“You work at a camp?” She asked. I didn’t bother to explain. I was too worried about T.J. What was going to happen when he got tired of the instrument? Would he get upset when he realized I was no longer here to play? “Go on to work, Dad,” the caretaker encouraged. “Your son will be fine with us.”

Once more I waved good-bye, but T.J. still didn’t notice. With a heavy heart I walked back out to my speeder and continued on to the stadium where the Starkillers held their training camp. Several franchises held their camps off-world at resorts, but the Starkillers kept things simple. All practices even those that took place a month or more before the season started took place at the stadium complex. I liked it because I didn’t have to go far from home. It was especially convenient now that I had T.J. I parked next to Andres, grabbed my bag and jogged into the stadium.

I always looked forward to the first day of camp. It felt good to get back to organized practices again. I missed my teammates. Dev Poletin was the first guy I saw as I entered the locker room. The Whipid greeted me with one of his usual short jokes. “You can’t sass me this season,” I informed him. “Till’s made me a captain.” He laughed so hard he was holding his side. “No seriously,” I told him. I took his reaction in stride as I wiggled my toes in my cleats. It felt good to be wearing them again. I took in a deep breath, allowing the faint stench of body odor to fill my nose. A few more defensive players came by to say hello before Trey came in with his new assistant to give us a rundown of activities for the day.

As I suspected Sunlua Zan oversaw the majority of the defensive drills. The day began with laps around the field, push-ups, ab work and several cardio drills. “Now that you’re warmed-up” she began an hour later. “Let’s see if anyone in this group is able to stop a bolo ball.”

We got in two lines. Sweat was pouring off my brow and I tried to get near the back so I could catch my breath before I was up. “Allin,” Zan yelled out. “What are you doing hiding in the back of the line? You are a team captain, you should go first.” I did my best to jog up to the front of the line. She pushed a button on a machine and a bolo ball came out. Instinctively I threw my body in front of the ball. It slammed into my chest with a thud. I wrapped my arms around the ball and got to my feet as quickly as possible. “Not bad,” she commented. “Do it again.”

I looked back at the line, wondering why it wasn’t Harc’s turn. He was up next; suddenly I heard another ball coming my way. Again I dove for the ball this time it slammed into my stomach, making me wish I had eaten less for breakfast. Quickly I put my right hand on top if it and my left hand underneath. I stood and tossed the ball back to the new assistant coach. She rocketed at least 10 more balls my way. I stopped all of them, finally she moved on to her next victim.

By midday I felt like I had been run over by a speeder. I was determined not to let Zan know I was feeling anything at all. When she said sprint, I sprinted, when she said dive, I dove and when she said throw long, I threw long. At dusk when we headed back for the locker room I even found the energy to jog. The shower felt great and the massage from the trainer even better. I walked out to my speeder feeling like nothing was going to stop me this season.

When I got home things were different. I could barely get out of the speeder. Sitting had caused my muscles to tighten and cramp. Making my way into the front door and up the stairs to the kitchen was pure misery. I didn’t even bother to sit in a chair I just collapsed on the cool tile floor and lie down. T.J. crawled over anxiously and climbed on top of me. “Ouch,” I mumbled weakly.

Lucie laughed, “Show off much?” she asked knowingly. She was nice enough to help me to my feet and into a chair. She had also prepared a wonderful dinner. After eating I felt good enough to make it up a second flight of stairs to the bedrooms. I helped give T.J. a bath. He was happy as usual. He must have been okay at the daycare after all. Before bed I took a few painkillers and woke up feeling relatively good.

Over the next several days our routine became more and more settled. At camp Roselli was impressing me and the coaches everyday with her breakout style of play. Lou Jeffers on the other hand, well it was hard to see past his attitude to evaluate his play. He walked into camp acting like he owned the place. Instead of taking advice from us vets he tried to give out advice of his own. Several times he cut to the front of the water and refreshment lines. When it was his turn to get more water he was never around to fill the coolers. He even bragged of accomplishments he never achieved. One evening he had the nerve to brag to Roselli that he had intercepted several of Fortune’s passes during a scrimmage while I was in within earshot.

“Did Jeffers intercept any of your passes?” I asked Andres. He shook his head. “You need to learn some respect, rookie.” I called out with a smile. Quickly I ran to the sidelines and grabbed a few rolls of medical tape out of a first aid bin. Andres kept watch for me while I taped the rookies mouth shut first then moved him down towards the goal post on the far end of the field. Rapidly I wound the tape around the rookie and goalpost. Securing him tightly, I wound around as many times as two rolls allowed. “Can you breath,” I asked when I finished.

He nodded. “Good, you stand there and think about how you treat your teammates for a while. I’m going to shower,” I said with a wave. I did just that. I ran straight for the showers. I let the warm water pour on my body for an extra-long time before taking a towel and heading towards my locker. Once I was dressed I grabbed my data pad and saw that there was a text from Lucie Just picked up T.J. from daycare. I had rough day with rehearsals, my head is pounding. Hurry home so I can lie down. Lucie’s headaches could paralyze her. Knowing she was in pain I quickly grabbed the keys to my speeder and dashed out to the parking lot so I could take care of T.J. and she could rest.

The ride home was uneventful, the trip up the stairs easier than the days before. My body was becoming more accustomed to the work outs again. I found Lucie in the kitchen with her head on the table and T.J. waiving at me wildly in his high chair. “Go on to bed sweetie,” I whispered softly. Then I released T.J. from his chair and put him down in the living room so he could crawl about. I put a meal on for myself and looked back to see him standing as he held on to the gate we had between the rooms. His smile was contagious. His lone two top teeth shone brightly in the dim light. I climbed over the gate, gently tackled him to the ground and tickled him all over.

He was laughing uncontrollably and the alarm sounded in the kitchen to let me know my dinner was ready so I didn’t hear my data pad buzz the first time. After setting myself a plate and grabbing some crackers for T.J. I strapped him back in his chair. “It’s just you and me for dinner tonight,” I told him. “You know what that means?” He was already jamming a cracker into his mouth. “That’s right,” I encouraged. “No need for manners,” I said just before cramming half a sandwich into my mouth all at once. T.J.’s laughter was interrupted by my data pad.

I looked over and noticed it was Trey calling so I decided I had better pick up. “Did you forget something Allin?” He asked before he even said hello.

“Are my socks on the locker room floor again?” I asked.

“Ty, did you tie one of my rookies to a goal post this afternoon?” He asked angrily.

“Shavit,” I said loudly enough for T.J. to hear. “Coach he was being a smart ass all afternoon. Someone had to teach him a lesson. Can you untie him for me? He should have gotten the point by now.”

“Allin that is not how we teach lessons in this organization, you come back here and untie him yourself.”

“Trey,” I pleaded. “Lucie isn’t feeling well tonight. Just untie him, tell him that tomorrow when the veterans ask for water he should get the water, when we tell him to run left and make a tackle he should run left, and most of all when I say the score is 5 – 0 the score is 5 – 0.”

“Look at me, Captain,” Trey ordered. “You get down here, untie him and tell him yourself.”

I could tell there was no use in arguing. “On my way,” I told him just before ending the call. I quickly stuffed the rest of my dinner down my throat. I unstrapped T.J. “Daddy’s in trouble,” I explained. “You’re gonna have to stay here with Mommy. Be good for me, please.” I begged of him as I made my way up to the third floor. I opened the door to the bedroom. Lucie rolled over on the bed to face me. “I got some bad news,” I told her. “I need to go back to the stadium for a bit.”

"What? Why?” She demanded.

“I’ll tell you tomorrow, when you have the time and strength to yell at me.” I said as I put T.J. down on the bed next to her. Immediately T.J. crawled to the edge of the bed. Quickly Lucie reached out, grabbed him and pulled him close to her. She gave me a look that let me know I was in trouble, deep trouble. “I’m sorry,” it was all I could think of to say.

She rolled back over clasping T.J. to her chest. “Just go already,” she ordered.

Knowing there was nothing I could say or do to mend the situation right now I jogged back down two flights of stairs, got in my speeder and headed back to the stadium. When I got there Trey was waiting for me. “Evening coach,” I said forcing a smile. He barely acknowledged my presence. I made my way through the locker room and out onto the field where Jeffers stood still tied to the goal post.

Quickly I removed the medical tape from his mouth. “Hey rook,” I greeted with a genuine smile. “You okay?”

He nodded. “I’m alright,” he managed.

“What was the score today?” I asked.

“Five to nothing,” he answered quickly. “Now can you untie me, I need to use the fresher.”

I laughed, “Sure thing,” I told him as I started to unravel the tape and free him from the pole. “I meant to untie you before I left this evening. I got this wife and baby at home to take care of. I really didn’t mean to forget about you,” I explained.

“It’s alright,” he said. “I was a real jerk today; the new guy shouldn’t show up expecting to get special treatment.”

“Got that right,” I agreed as I finished untying his feet. “In fact you’ve been a jerk since the first day you arrived at this facility. Are we cool?” I asked.

"We’re cool,” he said. I raised my fist and he pounded me in return. “Now I really gotta use the fresher,” he turned to leave. “See you in the morning.”

“See you tomorrow,” I hollered as he ran towards the locker room.

I turned around to pick up and collect the tape I’d used to tie him up with so I could discard it. Till stood staring at me with his arms crossed, “I’ll take that.” He said gesturing toward my armful of tape. Without giving it any thought I handed over the used materials. “Now put your hand on the goal post,” he ordered. Hesitantly I did as he said. For a moment I thought he was going to tie me to the goal post. Instead he gave me an assignment. “I want you to run down to the other end of the field touch the other goal post and run back, 50 times.”

"That will take all night,” I argued. “My wife is at home waiting for me. Can we do this in the morning?” I tried, hoping he might forget by then.

He shook his head, “It might take an hour, how fast you run is up to you.” He said handing off the tape to a passing groundskeeper. “We do this now. I’m going to be here evaluating the practice I recorded anyway.” He picked up his data pad and twirled it around in his hands, “So counting your laps while I do it doesn’t bother me. Better get started.” He took a seat in a folding chair he had brought out on the field. “Go.” He barked.

The beginning was rough. My stomach was still full from dinner, I heard a sloshing noise, in order to keep my food down I had to go slowly. After a few laps my stomach began to settle. The stadium was peaceful when empty. The soft lights from above illuminating the turf, soon my shirt began to stick to my skin. When it became too uncomfortable I threw it off. I felt lighter, the work got easier for a while. I thought about Lucie and wondered if she would laugh or yell when I got around to telling her about this. I wondered if T.J. would grow up to be like me. I tried to picture him older, but I couldn’t. Most of the time I still had trouble believing I even had a baby son, imaging him starting school or even learning to talk back was a concept I couldn’t grasp. Lost in thought the time passed quicker than I expected. I had to pace myself to finish though, and puddles of sweat were all over my body. I was dripping and exhausted with ten laps to go. I tried to do the math, it took me almost an entire trip down the field to figure out I was 4/5th’s of the way done.

With two laps to go I picked up the pace, the final lap was a sprint. “Done,” I announced to Trey with a smile on my face as I tagged the goal post one final time.

"Not bad,” he praised. “Now why don’t you get out of here, we only have a few more days to prep these rookies for their trip to Ylesia and you need some sleep if you’re going to help me do that.”

I wiped the sweat off my brow, “Yes, coach.” He gave me a pat on the backside as I ran off to the showers for the second time that evening. I pulled up to the house and practically crawled up the steps, my legs sore from running. I peeked in my bedroom to see Lucie and T.J. sound asleep on our bed. Then I went down to the kitchen found a bag of salty chips and a bottle of gundarkade. I didn’t bother to pour myself a glass; I took a long swig out of the container. I proceeded into the living room, sat on the couch and put my feet up on the caf table. I found an action flick on the holo, it was just getting to my favorite part. The part when the entire city blew up. I grabbed a large handful of chips, pushed them into my mouth and enjoyed some rare time to myself.

When the holo ended I managed to move T.J. to his crib without waking him and slipped into bed. I didn’t hear Lucie rise or leave the next morning. I woke to the sound of T.J. banging his crib against the wall in the next room. With haste I got up and ran next door, “Careful,” I warned. “Your mother will be mad if you mark up the walls.” He smiled when he saw me; his cuteness outweighed his destructiveness which did him more favors than he knew.

As I ate breakfast I noticed that I had received updates to my play-book overnight. It was impossible to try to read those updates and watch T.J. so I got us ready as quickly as possible and dropped him off at daycare hoping to have some time to read up at the stadium before practice began. Lou Jeffers was in the locker room when I got there. “Can you help me understand these new plays?” He asked as I entered.

Apparently he thought we were friends now. “To be honest I haven’t had much time to look them over,” I told him. A panicked look appeared on his face. “Let’s look them over together,” I suggested.

Most of the plays were simple. Obviously they were for the scrimmage against Yelsia. “My older brother thinks I’m going to be shipped back home after next week’s friendly,” Jeffers confided in me. “I have to prove him wrong, do you think you can help.”

The rookies’ composure was much different from that he had shown since his arrival on Ralltiir. “As long as you listen and cut down on the back talk, I’ll make it a priority of mine to help you make this team.”

“Really?” He asked.

“Sure, why not? You won’t be playing fullback though,” I said knowing it was the position he played in college. “That’s my position. I happen to know we have an open roster spot at half back and that both of our corners are replaceable if you can prove your better than they are. I started at corner for years; it’s not a bad place to get yourself established.”

For the rest of the week I worked closely with Jeffers. He had a lot of talent. I began to understand how he had been ranked number one overall amongst defensive draftees. If he didn’t let his nerves overtake him and he performed on Ylesia he could earn a starting position.

Lucie had worked hard to not only construct a team of top notch dancers, but also to return to form herself after carrying and giving birth to our little boy. Still she struggled with the idea of leaving him. Mrs. Vigo encouraged Lucie to go. She set up a double nursery for T.J. and Marty in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Finally with less than two days to go before our departure she made the decision to travel to Ylesia. I convinced her to take T.J. to her mother’s the night before our flight so we could have an evening to ourselves.

I did my best to set up a romantic dinner in our dining room. Since I’m not a cook I purchased food from a restaurant I knew she liked and made sure to purchase something she ordered there often. Leaving T.J. did not make for Lucie to be in the best of moods. I could tell when she sat down I had ordered the wrong dish. She pushed her food around while I ate. I tried to talk about the reports we’d gotten from daycare about T.J. taking his first steps. That only made her more upset. “I can’t believe I missed that,” she said starting to cry.

My next topic was an even bigger mistake. “Are you excited about the game?” I asked. “I think the defensive rookies we drafted are going to make the roster. I think this whole season is going to be great.” I said as I took my last bite of food.

“How can it be great, with my father not there?” More tears fell.

“Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?” I asked. “We can watch a holo, get your mind of things,” I suggested.

She got up and went to the fresher, she was gone a long time. When she came out she had composed herself. She sat down and took a bite of food. “Why don’t you tell me why you had to run back to the stadium after you had already come home one night last week?”

“Oh, that,” I began leaning back in my chair. I wasn’t sure if she thought she would feel better if she had a reason to yell at me or laugh at me. Somehow though I knew one of those things was going to make Lucie feel better. In case she wanted to yell I started with a little self-defense, “First of all none of this would have happened if I hadn’t rushed home to help my beautiful wife.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” she said skeptically. I re-capped the story from the incidents at practice, tying up Jeffers, forgetting about him, being called back to untie him and finally my punishment details. “Serves you right,” Lucie said laughing. Since she was enjoying my humiliation so much I went into detail about how I ran back and forth down the field while Trey kicked back in a fold out chair and kept track of my progress. By the time I had finished Lucie was half way done with her meal and in complete hysterics. Despite the rocky start our evening ended well.

The trip to Ylesia was long and uneventful. I knew I would only get a few minutes of playing time so I concentrated on Jeffers during the warm up period. Roselli and Shyall were working with Dev and Harc respectively. “Just follow the playbook, don’t do anything fancy,” I advised Jeffers before I took the field.

“That’s not what you do,” he countered.

"I’ve already made the team,” I reminded him. “Concentrate on making the team first, then I’ll teach you to play as well as me.”

The ball was being placed in the middle of the field, quickly I ran out to take my position. I looked over to the sidelines and smiled at my wife. I was back on the Limmie field again, ready for anything that came my way and I felt amazing.

Tags: Rebecca_Daniels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.