main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Meredith Chambers-Vayne

The locker room was dead silent.

The locker room was so silent it made the vacuum of space seem loud in comparison.

Meredith shattered that silence by pulling up a chair in the center of the room and looking at her players. There was Wai Lin looking absolutely disgusted with her play. There was Camille Montes nursing a nasty bruise on her face. There was Pam Bouvier massaging a sore knee. There was Jinx Johnson with a cold compress on her ribs. Nobody said a word. Nobody could say a word after the unspeakable home loss.

The Hapes C-Bucs had failed to defend home field and now their success this season, even though the season was still young, was starting to be questioned. The Hapan media was growing concerned. Increasingly more articles were hitting the 24/7 news circuit that questioned whether or not Adanna Inviere and Meredith Chambers could truly save Hapan limmie. Everyone knew that had these two not signed with the team when they did that Hapes would’ve been demoted back to the Premiere League and a more hungry team such as the Denon Demons might’ve taken their place.

How quickly people forgot about success. So focused on failure, so focused on struggle, people in the media seemed to forget that Hapes had been one game out of the Final last year. But that was in the past. That was in the rear-view mirror. People wanted instant gratification, they wanted success now, they wanted results, and so far, those results hadn’t materialized for this Hapes squad.

Meredith looked at her players who refused to look back at her. They could feel the disapproval, the disappointment, the disdain, rolling off her like the great tidal waves of Mon Calamari. Each one of them had that special spark. They wouldn’t have made the squad if they didn’t and not one of them was playing up to potential. Not one of them stood out to her as worthy of making it to the All-Star game even though nominations were being sent to the league as they sat here.

She didn’t know where to begin today. She didn’t want to begin today. She wanted to put today behind her. So Meredith Chambers-Vayne did the only thing she knew how to do in order to send a clear message to her ladies to put out or pack it in for the season.

She got up and left the room.

The locker room was dead silent.

One by one her players packed up their gear and looked at that empty chair in the center of the locker room.

The message was clear.

The time to start winning was now.

Tag:Jedi Gunny

2. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    IC: Korlo Penin
    Lightning practice, four days before game vs Hapes

Things hadn't gone well since that tight win over Bakura the first week. Following it up with two near losses didn't bode well, considering the closeness of the first win. At least, he admitted, it hadn't been like the preseason blowout had implied.

While all three games had been close, he knew the team wasn't taking it well. Beating Bakura had felt like a fluke, with Coruscant coming out to surprise them after such a poor season last year, and the unknown Kuat squeaking by in the dying minutes. It meant that something was off, and right now, their coach was pointing a finger at Kasin.

"Thirty-three points is too much, it's time to switch things up," Kyril Lopaki explained, eyes narrowed as if to dare Kasin to argue. "Korlo hasn't played a minute this season, it's his turn."

"I'm not the reason we're losing!" Kasin snapped, while Korlo shrank away in his stall, wondering if he could sneak away before things got violent. "If the defense could hold on at the end of games, maybe I wouldn't be forced to save our-"

"Enough!" Lopaki and Kasin were almost nose to nose, and the entire room had stopped to watch the altercation. "I've made my decision, I suggest you don't push it."

Kasin made a rude gesture as their coach swept out of the room, then dropped heavily into her stall. Not sure what to say, Korlo picked at his keeper gloves until she spoke up.

"No offense, by the way." This situation was tough on both of them, and Korlo couldn't help but feel pleased that he was finally going to get to play again, even at Kasin's expense. "I don't really think you'll lose us the game, I just don't think that you or I are the problem."

Korlo shrugged. "If we lose the next one the same way I guess he'll have to listen."

"Or just switch me back in." Kasin sighed. "I hate this."

Privately, Korlo agreed. A backup goalkeeper should be a backup, not a second starter. He wasn't sure he was up to task after three weeks without playing a game, but practices would have to suffice. Or Kasin would end up back in net, as she said.

"But," Kasin continued, sitting up and eyeing someone or something across the room, "there's something else I wanted to talk to you about." Korlo couldn't figure out what she was looking at, and made an inquiring frown, which she caught.

"It's nothing bad," she assured him, but there was a dangerous glint in her eyes. "Just wondering what you thought of Meeks."

Uh oh. This wasn't going to end well. "I don't really think anything…?"

"Surely you've seen her play. She's very athletic. And pretty."

"And human?" he suggested, trying to figure out what in the galaxy had made his fellow goalkeeper go so insane as to pick Meeks out as a, well, whatever Kasin had in mind. Sure, he'd talked to her about being on an alien team but that was the beginning and end of their relationship.

"Likes aliens, got it. I hear Tobin's single."

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, I think she was asking about you."

Korlo gave up and covered his eyes in the hopes it would make everything go away. "I don't want to date anyone, Kasin. Anyone."

"Ah, but the ladies want to date you. So I'm here to be your wingmate, chaperone, mentor, and matchmaker." Peeking through his fingers, he could see that she was smirking. This really wasn't going away.

"I mean," she continued, "I'm not sure I see the appeal. You're clearly the second best goalkeeper on the team. But I have to keep you from those dangerous women on other teams, and especially those What We Learned writers. They're crazy."

"And," she leaned in, throwing an arm over his shoulders, "it's a good way to forget how badly we're doing. Come on, give it a chance."

Dropping his hands, Korlo examined her expression more closely. Under the mischief and teasing, he could see genuine concern. This wasn't just a prank - though with her, it was still probably mostly prank - she really did want to help him out, and maybe forget about the mess that was their professional lives. So going on a couple dates couldn't be too bad…

"All right," he sighed and Kasin grinned.

"Day after we play Hapes, you and Tobin. I'll send you the details." Grin still wide and dangerous, Kasin breezed out of room and onto the pitch for practice. This was going to be an adventure.

--------

(only slightly relevant music)

IC: Mirik Chal

This all-star game was going to be a disaster.

Their illustrious owner had jumped at the challenge offered by one of the new team's owners, though Mirik knew the Hutt had been reluctant before. Meanwhile, on Ylesia, there had been a sudden push from fans that had been around before their rise to the ELL, asking their colour commentator Jong Marson to take up the challenge, likely remembering fondly his days in net, when the team wasn't half as good as it was now. And forgetting that while well-liked, Marson had never been very good and, with a good thirty years of retirement sitting around his belly, wasn't likely to be any better now. Still, the Chagrian had stepped up and taken the challenge, leaving one less decision in her too-busy hands.

Though she could say nothing without risking Otta's ire, she could barely believe that any owners would participate. The risk of injury when facing Elite League all-stars was tremendous; what would happen if Otta or any of the others were hurt in the game? And, probably worse, what would it say of the Elite League's players if they lost?

"I swear, if Urdaaza gets in my face one more time," Kyril's voice interrupted her thoughts, barging unceremoniously into her office and taking a seat.

"Is she wrong, though?" Mirik suggested. "I'm guessing you told her she's not playing against Hapes?"

Kyril sighed and put his datapad on her desk. A quick glance confirmed it was their gameplan, full of changes for the next game.

"No, she's not wrong. But the team needs to shake that last bit out so we can actually get some wins here, and meanwhile we have this wasted potential on the bench. So Penin's in. Probably until Urdaaza learns to do what I say."

Mirik raised her eyebrows; now this was not the coach she remembered. "She's had the same coach for a long time, and she's been through a lot. Try not to push her buttons, I don't want to have to trade one of them somewhere else. Or fire you, depending on whose side Otta takes."

The warning lingered in the air, and Kyril straightened up. "I see."

"You know it's a possibility. If you two get along I won't have to make that decision." She spread her hands. "Simple."

"Yeah." The word didn't carry any belief in it, and Mirik wondered again what had happened to the coach she knew. Had she missed these changes? How long before the whole team was up in arms against him?

Kyril slouched forward and rubbed his hair back, suddenly looking far more tired than he had any right to after only three weeks of the season. "Sorry. Haven't been with a new team in a while. I'll sort it out."

"Get some rest while you're at it," she suggested absently as he left her office. Another problem to add to the pile.

At least, from what little Lonah Eelin had reported, the dance team was coming together nicely. Help was appreciated from the Starkillers, tryouts were continuing, and some other comments that hadn't really stuck in Mirik's mind. As long as it was coming together, as long as they'd be there to open the new stadium with style.

There was talk the new stadium was looking to sell the naming rights, but that was being handled by someone else. It wouldn't be long before the last game was played at the Gardens, and Mirik felt a bit sad. How long had the team played there? Probably since hitting professional leagues; there were a lot of plaques on the walls of its halls, commemorating championships of leagues they'd outgrown, and a single banner to showcase how far they'd come.

Well, they'd just have to win a banner for the new stadium.

TAG: Jedi Gunny Vehn (for goalkeeper change), Runjedirun (for brief dancers mention), and Trieste (for ASG and slight WWL mention)

Trieste, Jedi Gunny and Runjedirun like this.
  3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Adanna Inviere
    Ylesia

There were reasons not to be optimistic in the Consortium at this moment. The C-Bucs were reeling after a 16-1 loss to Euceron, and Adanna was anything but excited about this last nonconference game. She had heard about the reaction Meredith had given the players after the loss, the silence that had hung over the locker room with its deathly silence. That had summed up last week; the defense had shown up, but the offense had decided to check out early, like a business customer at a hotel. And the worst part of it was that they had embarrassed themselves. The Storm had looked good, and the C-Bucs hadn’t.

There were murmurs of the Inviere-Chambers project failing in the Consortium already. Despite only being three games into the season, last week’s lackluster performance brought out a few of the critics. No doubt this week was a necessary win if they wanted to keep their jobs. This had been a dream position last season, taking the reins of a failing team and turning them into playoff contenders. But now the second season was upon them, and question marks were popping up all over the place. It was that kind of year thus far.

Next up was Ylesia. Having dropped two close games in a row, they were looking to finally break through again after a shocking win over Bakura in the season opener. All reports out of their camp indicated that Korlo Penin, last year’s whiz kid, was going to start in goal for Kasin Urdaaza. While not wholly unmerited, as the usual Lightning goalie had struggled, much of the preparation this week had not been for the human goalie. The Lightning were throwing out a new look here this week, and Adanna silently hoped to herself that her team could figure him out. Because they had to today.

The matchups today were pretty similar on both sides. The Lightning had the slight edge in points scored, but the C-Bucs had the better defensive unit. Both teams were in the middle of the pack, and after this game one of them likely would be closer to crawling out of there, and the other falling deeper down in the rankings. Momentum was such a huge portion of this game, and a loss here might mean more than a bad start to the season. It could easily doom the rest of the season. Losses here could be overcome; the Ralltiir Starkillers had shown that a few seasons earlier after an 0-3 start. The 272 Ryloth Rough Riders had started 0-3 and went on to win the Galactic Cup. So Adanna knew it could be done. But it wasn’t easy. The Senators last year had done OK in their nonconference slate, only to be demolished week in and week out once conference play. Momentum was everything.

With Penin in goal for the Lightning, the C-Bucs offense would have to strike early and get in the kid’s head. That task fell to team captain Wai Lin, who desperately needed a good game here to vindicate herself as the unquestioned leader of the team. More production was also necessary from the Masterson twins and Jinx Johnson, the full forward who had a nasty habit of disappearing at the wrong time. The Lightning defense, with the element of surprise in Penin’s start, probably had the edge today. A slight edge, but one nonetheless.

At midfield it looked like a wash. Alysha Romax hadn’t played well the past two weeks, and it showed on the scoreboard. Her counterpart, Prya Tiin, hadn’t exactly looked spectacular either, so whichever midfield duo could figure it out first probably had the advantage. But it looked as if this matchup was also a tight one, with the momentum swinging either way.

That led to the Lightning offense versus the C-Buc defense. Camille Montes was more than capable in goal, but nagging bruises suffered by full back Pam Bouvier in the last two games had hampered her somewhat in practice over the week. It looked like Melina Havelock would need a stellar game to take her unit past the Lightning offense that could be explosive at times but also fail to click at others. Abbey Waters, a long-time veteran, was needed to shut down Meeks on the outside, while Havelock would draw Zoa Vra from the half back line. The C-Bucs had the numerical advantage here from the prior three games, and Adanna had a feeling that Havelock could do the job against Vra. So they had a slight edge here. Overall, the game was a complete toss-up. Both teams had the potential to be explosive, but also were inconsistent and had bad spells on defense.

And then there was the matter of the All-Star Break. The C-Bucs hadn’t sent in their Challenge Team nominations, although Adanna had an inkling that she would find out at least one of those very soon. All she knew was that it wouldn’t be her; no matter how much fun it would be to get back out on the pitch against Elite League competition, the being inside her belly told her otherwise. It would be too dangerous to let a pregnant woman play on the pitch, even with the modified rules. While she found an inner sense of pleasure from the pregnancy, knowing that her off-field life was going to be improved by it, her old competitive side was extremely disappointed. She would have to stay on the sidelines and watch, something that gnawed at her very being. She had never been one to let things go by without taking action, and now she was forced to sit while a golden opportunity like that passed by without her.

“Something bothering you, Ms. Inviere?” an assistant asked from a nearby seat.

“Nothing at all,” Adanna said in a brisk tone. The assistant shut her mouth and decided not to prod the GM any further. They knew when the former Half Back wanted to be left alone in her own thoughts.

And right now, those thoughts could only be improved with a win here today.

TAG: Rebecca_Daniels, Vehn

4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    HSN Morning Headlines:

• #2 KMI suffers heartbreaking defeat against unranked Garqi State University in SEC play, 19-17, on last-minute goal by GSU.
    • Republican U falls to 1-3 on the season with a loss against GVSU to open division play.
    • UCBV rolls along with an impressive 29-6 win over Cinnagar Imperial College. Renegades looking good thus far at 3-1 this season after winning last year's Division I title.
    • With Bak10 using new safety rules for players, other conferences including Super 16 and SEC looking into changing what constitutes an illegal hit. This issue will be brought to GCAA soon if conferences so desire.
    • S16 Spokesperson: "Adding more elements to player safety should be brought about so that we can decrease the number of injuries sustained by student-athletes."
    • Cambrielle College wins game against Norrand University to go to 4-0 on the season. They look like strong contenders to win the Veragi League title.
    • Questions arise on whether alcohol should be served at college stadiums. Recent study released at schools that do seem to show no correlation between alcohol sales and student disorderly conduct. Some conferences like the SEC have a ban on the sale of alcohol at games, while other conferences are looking into the possibility to increase revenue flows.
    TAG: Everyone

5. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

As you all noticed, I missed the promised scores post yesterday. I wound up actually doing almost all of the moving to my new place. Do I have all my furniture moved yet? Nope. Am I even a third done unpacking what I did move? Nope. Did I get Internet set up? Yup. And it's all good because...

It's Monday Night Meshgeroya. :D

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Lokensgaard: "Monday Night Meshgeroya is the perfect way to showcase one of our newest teams, Carratos, to the entire galaxy."

Bonus scores to Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, Ralltiir, and Ylesia.​
    Bakura Miners at Mando’ade Mercs (37-7)
    Coruscant Senators at Carratos Pirates (30-9)
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Ylesia Lightning (15-3)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (31-3)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Euceron Storm (39-2)
    Kuat Triforce at Agamar Packers (25-35)

Updated stats and standings will be posted later today or tomorrow, but they will be posted! :)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Polydroxol Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Christine Gamble
    Goss-Pell Memorial Stadium, Carratos

The ball sailed over the bar, and Christine scowled at herself for letting Rime Arezzo get around her for the quick score. The Pirate crowd loved to see their captain get a point up on the board, and Christine wanted to shut them up real quick. The Devaronian had gotten around her with a quick fake to the left before burning her to the right. That usually didn’t work against her, but this time she got caught out of position in a mental lapse and got burned. She smacked her fist into her other hand and bit her lip. That wasn’t how this was supposed to start.

So the next time the Pirates came down the field, she was ready for Arezzo. When he tried to catch the ball, she tackled him to the ground. That was how Christine Gamble played defense, with speed and excellent fundamentals. They said that in her rookie year of 275 she would have to play up to the level of Jerek Deter. Well, now she was the Deter of the team at corner back, and had to make sure as captain that she was in the right position not just to set her defense, but also to make smart plays. When the Devaronian tried to get around her on the next minute, she shoved him off his route, causing him to slip on the turf and fall down. That’s the way she liked it.

On the offensive side, the Senators took a few minutes to acclimate to the new environment. Goss-Pell was as large as Senator Stadium, seating 1 million fans on gameday. However, unlike the aforementioned home stadium, at least this place was full. And they were loud. It made Christine wish for the old days when the Senator faithful would pack the stands and yell their heads off. She hoped that a good game here from her team would convince those fans to come back in droves. They had to try.

After an early turnover, Anya Amasova finally had enough against the center half back of the Pirates, Rhodri Gwy’nedd. The Hapan pump faked the Klatoonian out of his shoes before making a nice dive into the middle of the field. Gwy’nedd had her in his sights and closed fast, but not before Anya was able to throw a scorcher into the back of the net for three quick points. That was her sixth goal of the season, a great achievement for the player whom Hapes had given up on two years earlier and who had somehow been the leading scorer for the Senators the prior season when they had no offensive punch. Even though she wasn’t considered a dominant forward in the league’s stable of half forwards, Christine had seen the young Hapan improve in all aspects of her game, and thought that more teams should respect her abilities.

Christine played tight defense on Arezzo the next time down the field, when Seiji Tan lost the ball on a great play by Senator half back Haybius Korpus, and the fumble was booted out to midfield by Kara Milovy. Sharsy Wenips, the rookie midfielder whom had been the only middie taken in the Draft, grabbed the ball, swung her arm over the head of a driving Marcus Teaic with the ball to make sure he couldn’t knock it free, and then passed it off to Arienne Farfell before being ground into the turf. Farfell swung around the other Teaic to get into open space and dump it off to Vail Pin to set the offense.

This time, Leia Adama made the play. She came in on a curl route, set a screen for a slant pattern by Ava Killenger, and then set herself in a place where she could catch the ball easily. Amasova came back to help block, and Leia took off. She made her way through the defense, with Max Qorbus throwing a key block on his defender to get the rookie into the open. She then faked a ball to the goal before again pump faking the ball towards the goal bar. This moved the Pirates’ Quarren goalie out of the way, and then she sent a rocket off her foot into the goal for three points.

Leia would get back on the score sheet quickly. Christine slammed into Arezzo to force a fumble, and then punched it over to Jenna Leed. The veteran then passed it all the way up to Pin, who then sent a pooch kick into an open area of the Pirates defense. The ball came down in the middle of nowhere, and Leia on a slant pattern got there in time. She jumped up and headed the ball towards the goal. With some topspin, it corkscrewed its way into the goal just past the goalie’s fingers.

As the first half wound down, the Senators were dominating on all sides of the ball. The offense was rolling along on all cylinders. Although Amasova was being well-covered, the Senator forwards were having their way with the beleaguered Pirates defense. When Leia was double-teamed every now and then, she’d find her safety blanket in Max Qorbus. The Nautolan, although he wasn’t having monster games this season like he had earlier in his career, seemed to be a better passer than ever before. He zipped a ball at one point on a complete line to Ava Killenger. The second-year forward was able to bang the ball into the back of the next on a vicious kick to score a goal. Qorbus added a goal of his own when he backed down Brian Ebeling before faking a spin one way to get the human to jump out of his shoes before going the other way and then finding the back of the net for three. On the overall, six goals had been scored in the first half for the Senators.

On defense, Christine was glad to see everyone picking up their assignments. Although Jenna was having some trouble against Leigh Cavanagh, the talented Pirates half forward, the veteran was doing her job. Ugdulo Borr and Deluxx were overwhelming Logan Manx. The full forward for Carratos was unable to get much traction before being sent sprawling to the ground. Christine even came over and put in a few shots on the forward when they switched coverages. That seemed to further confuse the Pirates on offense. They only scored three bar points, two by Arezzo on Christine, but no more. A goal-less half was quite an accomplishment for a defense.

When the second half came around, the Senators started strong again. Leia finished her hat trick on a nice goal, and that was it for the Senator starters. Eventually the reserves filtered in as the game got out of hand. Christine got the hook about halfway through the second half, and as she went off she made sure to slap her replacement, Vex Blooker, on the back. The young Zabrak needed encouragement. Laura Cellen, the sixth overall pick who was overshadowed by Leia, chipped in her second goal of the season along with two bar points. Several other Senators scored bar points off the bench, and the Pirates could only score two goals as the game finally ended 30-9.

The teams lined up for the handshakes, and Christine made sure to same something to each Pirate she went by. As with the prior week’s victory against Agamar, she felt bad for the Pirates in a sense. Yes she was competitive, but on the other hand she had been through so many beatdowns by other teams last season. Even if the players on those teams didn’t feel in the least bit bad about running up the scores, she wasn’t going to be like them. She was going to be a professional. Although she borderline loathed Alana Glencross, she remembered what the Miners captain had said to her last season. At least she had the guts to say something positive after her team had ripped the Senator defense a new one. If Glencross could get the accolades for being a leader, Christine Gamble could too.

When she got to Arezzo, her opponent during this game and the Pirate captain, she made sure to pull him aside for a moment. “You had a bad day, but we all do,” Christine said. “If you guys can forget today’s loss and play to your strengths like you have the last few weeks, you can shock some teams in conference play. They’ll overlook you, so you can pop them when they don’t expect it. Good luck.” She then joined her team in a post-game huddle.

“Nice game out there,” Peet Carelle said to his team. “We dominated them like we were capable of doing, and it showed. We’ve got three wins so far, but we’re never satisfied until we make a push in the conference slate. Keep up the intensity next week against Hapes, and we can go into the break with four wins. The conference will be super-competitive this year, so we need to do all we can in order to stay up on top. So good work, and let’s keep it up in practice.”

Christine walked off the field feeling elated. She had done her job here today, her team had dominated, and they now had three wins in their first four games. The Commissioner had come here and finally seen a Senator win. They still had five games left, including some scary matchups against Bakura, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime, but those were for another week. Next up was Hapes, and they had something to prove. There was no rest for the weary in the Elite League.

TAG: galactic-vagabond422

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sub-GM Post

Bonus rolls this week to (points in parentheses): Tatooine (30), Eriadu (28), Thyferra (32), Druckenwell (28), Concordia (28).

Limmie Futures League
    Week 4
    Gallinore Firedrakes at Garqi Gunners (18–3)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers at Eriadu Thunder (26–5)
    Thyferra Force at Druckenwell Marksmen (25–14)
    Corellia Rebels at Commenor Gundarks (24–17)
    Concordia Crusaders at Byblos Red Wings (1–23)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik Polydroxol CPL_Macja Tim Battershell Rebecca_Daniels Vehn Runjedirun Jedi Gunny

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Kaitlyn Vehn
    Monarchs 31, Smugglers 3

24-12.

That wasn't the final score of the game today. No, Kaitlyn thought, that would've been far more palatable to her.That was the Smugglers win-loss column in the four years since the 'Great Realignment' of the conferences. In that time Kaitlyn Vehn had assembled a true contender, a hard hitting, high scoring, team that could run the distance with anyone. That team had brought that same soul and energy to Six Boroughs stadium where many an opponents dreams went to die. Winning was so common now that people couldn't remember the last time the Smugglers had lost at home to a non-conference team. And that was why today's thorough destruction of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers felt to Kaitlyn as if a great vibro-blade had just impaled her heart.

This loss was tough.

Down there, the celebrating Monarchs were going absolutely crazy on the pitch following the mutual handshake at the end of the game. Nothing had gone right today for the Smugglers. They had been pushed around at every turn, hit hard, beaten up, and drawn loads of unfavorable calls from the referees who would undoubtedly need their security escort tonight on the way out of the stadium. McCloud had never looked comfortable out there, Leed was caught out of position the entire time, Kaitlyn didn't know where to begin or how to even comprehend what had just happened down there. John Huntington had done the only thing he could do and pulled the starters early in the second half when it was clear the game had spiraled out of control. Better to lose this game than to drop the more important conference match-ups later in the year.

Kaitlyn kew Rydonni Prime was wanting revenge for their loss in the Final of '76. Kaitlyn just didn't know how badly they wanted to beat the Smugglers at home. There was Vesper Lynd being paraded around like a champion. There was Setarchos Rhemes and countless other Rydonnians who Kaitlyn had gotten to 'know' over the years. As she watched them celebrate on her pitch, in her stadium, she realized that she should've been mad, upset, something. But the anger, the loathing, wasn't coming today. She could feel the eyes of 'The Crew' watching her every movement on the great vid-screen. Undoubtedly the Monarchs players had caught sight of the live feed that showed her staring down at the field. The talking heads were out in force now wondering what Kaitlyn was thinking. Wondering how she'd react to the loss.

Kaitlyn Vehn did the only thing she wanted to do in a moment like this. She did the honorable thing.

She brought her hands together and applauded the victorious Rydonni Prime team down below.

The Smugglers fans quickly followed suit. There could be no bad blood today toward Rydonni Prime. They'd earned their victory.

Tag: CPL_Macja

9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Elite League releases All-Star Game ballot and Challenge Team Roster
    Elite League Limmie Challenge Team
    Player Coaches
    • Tover Micjaa (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, alumni)
    • Dawn Solo-Undolo (Rydonni Prime Monarchs, alumni)
    Starters
    • Goalkeeper: Cliff Tuff (Ralltiir Starkillers, fan & local youth program member)
    • Corner Back: Bara (Carratos Pirates, security staff)
    • Corner Back: Lex Silas (Rydonni Prime Monarchs, alumni)
    • Corner Back: Otta (Ylesia Lightning, owner--also Goalkeeper reserve)
    • Half Back: Edsel Corren (Bakura Miners, fan & cancer patient)
    • Half Back: Kaitlyn Vehn (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, owner)
    • Half Back: Jado Nalo (Euceron Storm, fan & son of former head coach & Jedi Padawan)
    • Midfielder: Bas Wren (Mando'ade Mercs, fan & winner of "How Do You Hate the Smugglers" contest)
    • Midfielder: Gark S'rily (Coruscant Senators, GM & owner)
    • Half Forward: Ryi Kor'le (Mando'ade Mercs, alumni)
    • Half Forward: Dorf Landa (Agamar Packers, assistant coach)
    • Half Forward: Schnitt Polenta (Carratos Pirates, owner)
    • Corner Forward: Polis Vayne (Coruscant Senators, alumni)
    • Corner Forward: Marte Nalo (Euceron Storm, former head coach and broadcaster)
    • Corner Forward: Flip Macklan (Kuat Triforce, fan [Mon Calamari])
    Reserves
    • Corner Back/Half Back: Irsine Chume (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers, owner & Queen Mother of Consortium)
    • Midfielder/Player-Coach: Dawn Solo-Undolo (Rydonni Prime Monarchs, alumni)
    • Midfielder/Forward: Tomas Vigo (Ralltiir Starkillers, owner's family)
    • Half Forward/Corner Forward: Kerry Trieste (Bakura Miners, Bak10 Commissioner)
    • Corner Forward/Half Forward/Player-Coach: Tover Micjaa (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, alumni)
    • Utility: Riv Lup (Agamar Packers, collegiate coach)
    • Utility: Jong Marson (Ylesia Lightning, alumni and current color commentator)

For the following ballot, you get a number of votes for each position as indicated. Do not vote for your own players. PM me your votes. :D
    Elite League Limmie All-Star Ballot
    Head Coach (choose 1)
    • Lu Braun (Mando'ade Mercs)
    • Peet Carelle (Coruscant Senators)
    • Meredith Chambers-Vayne (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    • Geoff Copin (Carratos Pirates)
    • Romo Benedict Crowley III (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    • John Huntington (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    • Asyr Kre'fey (Agamar Packers)
    • Axel Leonin (Kuat Triforce)
    • Kyril Lopaki (Ylesia Lightning)
    • Haron Orus (Euceron Storm)
    • Trey Till (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    • Gaeriel Valerii (Bakura Miners)
    Goalkeeper (choose 2)
    • Zeke Barbosa (Coruscant Senators)
    • Lizbit Comstock (Bakura Miners)
    • Chenkabukk (Euceron Storm)
    • Qazi Hameeduddin (Carratos Pirates)
    • Jayla Leed (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    • Mitth'or'norris (Mando'ade Mercs)
    • Camille Montes (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    • Oss'irh'cgood (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    • Kaat Stun (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    • Haydnat Swan (Kuat Triforce)
    • Kasin Urdaaza (Ylesia Lightning)
    • Hohass Vesh (Agamar Packers)
    Corner Back (choose 3)
    • Ty Allin (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    • Nael Baelidy (Euceron Storm)
    • Pam Bouvier (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    • Christine Gamble (Coruscant Senators)
    • Liddy Powe (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    • "Killer" K'Karlson (Mando'ade Mercs)
    • Horst Penn (Bakura Miners)
    • Saba Raine (Agamar Packers)
    • Boutros Sabah (Carratos Pirates)
    • Shahka (Ylesia Lightning)
    • Ike Tullo (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    • Yvan Varless (Kuat Triforce)
    Half Back (choose 3)
    • Chalporrin (Euceron Storm)
    • Avier Endivain (Kuat Triforce)
    • Rhodri Gwy'nedd (Carratos Pirates)
    • Melina Havelock (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    • Aley Helios (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    • Jenna Leed (Coruscant Senators)
    • Dev Poletin (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    • Roon (Agamar Packers)
    • Manta S'eo (Mando'ade Mercs)
    • Lisbeth Tobin (Ylesia Lightning)
    • Falene Trieste (Bakura Miners)
    • Zelena Wiles (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    Midfielder (choose 2)
    • Darin Celtru (Kuat Triforce)
    • Arienne Farfell (Coruscant Senators)
    • Alana Glencross (Bakura Miners)
    • Canton Golbert (Euceron Storm)
    • Alyda Hovechar (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    • Argo Mor'kesh (Mando'ade Mercs)
    • Alysha Romax (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    • Calli Royd (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    • Gabriella Teaic (Carratos Pirates)
    • Prya Tiin (Ylesia Lightning)
    • Kahr'maim Clan Tlakh'sar (Agamar Packers)
    • Erin Windreaver (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    Half Forward (choose 3)
    • Maggie Adams (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    • Miles Abrams (Agamar Packers)
    • Anya Amasova (Coruscant Senators)
    • Leigh Cavanagh (Carratos Pirates)
    • Jeem Daryc (Mando'ade Mercs)
    • Niskat Deenever (Bakura Miners)
    • Asterope Earlyes (Kuat Triforce)
    • Frokabukk (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    • Wai Lin (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    • Mylessa McCloud (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    • Niast Nan'lie (Euceron Storm)
    • Zoa Vra (Ylesia Lightning)
    Corner Forward (choose 3)
    • Leia Adama (Coruscant Senators)
    • Fu Arock (Mando'ade Mercs)
    • Mezgraf Goot (Agamar Packers)
    • Jinx Johnson (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    • Loren Jul (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    • Shady Lereoux (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    • Vesper Lynd (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    • Zonko Lyriss (Bakura Miners)
    • Logan Manx (Carratos Pirates)
    • Megan Meeks (Ylesia Lightning)
    • Porrsk Rett'ii (Euceron Storm)
    • Delphin Tiopfea (Kuat Triforce)
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Polydroxol Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: One-off Cundertol post for a very worthy occasion
    Mesh'la Vhetin, Keldabe, Mandalore
    Before the start of the Miners-Mercs game

The tall, thin human strode down the box level concourse of the fabled Mandalorian stadium with purpose. The beskar'gaam-clad warriors begrudgingly parted for him. They parted because they respected what he had achieved on the field of play; begrudgingly because his most recent accomplishment had come at their expense. Even so, the Mandalorians always respected a formidable opponent. There was no glory in victory without one. Their day would come and they would remind this impertinent human of their greatness on that day.

Quinn Cundertol seemed unperturbed by this respectful hostility. He had a particular purpose in making this trek from the visiting GM's box. That purpose rested in the inside lefthand pocket of his jacket. He arrived at the door he sought, one that had never opened for him before. It had never had a reason to--until today. The chime heralded his arrival inside and it was not very long before it was opened for him.

"Here for Mr. Vizsla," he said and he gained his admittance. The man from Eriadu extended his hand to clasp the forearm of his opponent for the day. So recently he had been part of Cundertol's own staff and now Adenn was calling the shots for an Elite League team himself. The truth was that Phelps' stupidity had been the Miners' gain. A being like Vizsla did not become available every day in this level of bolo-ball.

"Glad to see that they entertain you in style here," Cundertol said, "otherwise I couldn't countenance you having left." Quinn smirked. They both had known from the start that Adenn's time on Bakura was never going to be for long. His heart was here.

"It's our tradition to do this in person privately when it can't be done publicly," Cundertol said, reaching into his jacket, "though it indicates no less appreciation on our part."

The Bakuran GM handed over the small box to Vizsla, who opened it up. Though he knew full well what would be inside, the anticipation was almost overwhelming.

Nestled in velvet was his 277 Galactic Cup championship ring. It featured the Cup in silver against a sea of dark blue stones in an aurodium band, the team name and logo sculpted on one side, the year on the other. Inside, etched into the band, was Vizsla's name.

"We wouldn't have this one without you," Cundertol said as Vizsla gazed upon one of the greatest mementos in galactic sports. Possession of that ring made him a rare and honored being on Mandalore. What a cruel twist of fate in that for him to hold one, many more beings who called this world home were denied a similar treasure.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik

11. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: Adenn Vizsla
    Home locker room, Meshla Vhetin, Manda'yaim. Following 37-7 loss to Bakura Miners

The small box in his belt pouch long was light, but it weighed down on him heavily as Vizlsa made his way through the darkened locker room. The players had departed long ago, dressing quickly after the debacle and leaving nearly wordlessly. They knew that practice tomorrow would put them all through the ringer after a loss like this. They would need their rest. The locker room attendants had gone about their business quickly too, and departed after their various mundane tasks. Their last of course had been to turn out the lights, hence the darkened room. It suited Vizsla's mood as he made his way through, towards the one point of light at the far end.

It was quiet too, as a tomb. Such a stark contrast from the hours before. The Mando'ade fans had been especially fired up for this match, a chance to avenge themselves against the team that had denied them their dream of a Galactic Cup championship. Their revenge, just like their title chance was denied to them.

Watching from the "owners" box (something of a misnomer now that the team was owned by all Mandalorians, it had been reserved for the upper echelon of the front office staff now) Vizsla could see that the offense was again out of sorts from the opening kick. Lieznam, normally the very definition of over confidence was playing tentatively. It wasn't injury, his wrist had been healed by now (the wonders of bacta and modern medicine) and the training staff had declared him fully fit for play. Still there was still something clearly wrong with him.

The swagger was gone and with it the ability to see the field and extend the play with his legs. The other forwards (save Daryc) tried to feed him the ball, as Coach Braun called play after play involving the young full forward. An effort to get him "back in the game" no doubt. That too was a failure as Lieznam was the source of countless turnovers leading to Miner's points. His passing skills were no where to be seen, his legs ran him into more trouble than out of it, and his shots were so far off goal as to almost be passes to the defense instead. It was a disaster.

Still the Mercs held on for the first few minutes of the game, but soon the defense started to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of possessions against them caused by the Mercs, by Lieznam's, offensive blunders. Under the onslaught they simply had no chance. By halftime anyone watching the game knew it was over already, but the Mercs didn't quit. Despite their best efforts though they were simply not up to the task of defeating the defending champs.

With only minutes to go Coach Braun finally surrendered to the inevitable and took Lieznam out of the game for good, but by then it was too late. They scored no further points in the game, the only goal had been Daryc's, coming at the beginning of the half. Mor'kesh had managed a couple of points(as well as an assist on the Daryc goal, and Arock had accounted for the team's other two points. It was an odd game for the offense, but the irregularities didn't stop there.

With the game all but decided the defense had gone out of sorts. Se'o in particular started playing out of position, trying for the big hit and the highlight play. Sometimes he was successful, but more often than not his reckless play left the defense open for yet another Miner's score. Now both the offense and the defense were back in disarray and just in time for the start of Conference play.

Vzisla exhaled audibly as he rounded a last pair of lockers, these bathed in the soft glow of light emanating from his destination. Conference play. For the first time since realignment the Mercs were going into conference play with a losing record. That was problematic. With a 1-3 record the Mercs were facing an uphill battle for the postseason, one only made easier by the fact that three other teams in the conference held identical records. Those four were all looking up at the Storm and the hated Smugglers who ruled the conference right now. It would be a long hard road for the Mercs, but at least they, like every other team at this early juncture, held their fate in their own hands. The way the Mercs had played out there today though didn't inspire much confidence in a repeat playoff berth though. Vizsla arrived at his destination

The Mandalorian inhaled deeply, the door before him was open just a crack, allowing some light to spill out into the darkened locker room. He knocked on the door once and opened it revealing Coach Braun sitting at his desk smoking a cigar. "Who in the..., " the old ball coach started gruffly before spinning around in his chair to see the team General manager enter. "Oh. It's you." He motioned for the Mandalorian to have a seat, an invitation that Vizlsa quickly took advantage of.

"So." Vizsla said plainly, removing his bucket and placing it on the coach's desk.. It was clear that he wasn't happy, but then again neither was Braun. The coach stabbed out the cigar in an ash tray. "The team is coming apart. Last season we had...well we had circumstances that brought us all together." Vizsla nodded, he had been brought up to speed on what had happened under the previous owner by Vhett, the team 's current president. "This year, everyone is out there doing their own thing." Vizlsa raised an eyebrow and Braun conceded. "OK, fine. Not everyone. But enough of them that it is tearing the team apart."

"Daryc?" Vizsla asked. Braun nodded in reply. "And Lieznam?" Braun rubbed his hand over his mustache before responding with a simple "ee-yup." Vizsla nodded himself now, rubbing his temples. "And Se'o?" Braun's head shot up. "That's a new development. I had K'Karlson talk to him. The kid is in his contract year and wants to look good for when he hits free agency." Vizsla didn't respond noticeably to that. Playing out of position and letting the rest of the defense get torched wasn't the way to earn yourself a better contract, but players who thought only of themselves often didn't see that. "I'll deal with him at practice tomorrow, let him know what I think about his play and his contract." Vizsla allowed a small smile at that. Braun had been the man who had replaced him as head coach, but Vizlsa did enjoy the ways the man got into his player's heads.

"I'm also going to bench Lieznam." There was a brief moment of silence that hung between them now. Lieznam, despite being an aruetii, was one of the faces of the franchise. His acqusition had gone far in making inroads in the aruetiise market, expanding the Mercs fanbase beyond the traditional mando'ade fans. Benching him could have severe repurcussions on that, though Vizsla knew that it was right move, and one he probably would have taken even sooner, there was clearly something wrong with the young man right now. "How did he take the news?" Vizlsa asked hoping that it wouldn't send the star full forward deeper into whatever mess he had found himself in.

Braun looked at Vizlsa for a moment, holding his stare before relighting his cigar. He puffed on it twice before responding thoughtfully. "I haven't told him yet."

TAG: No One

[​IMG]

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Power Rankings, Week Four

1. Rydonni Prime Monarchs – You may be wondering why the Miners or Smugglers aren’t #1 this week. Just look at the points allowed total for this season. There you shall find the answer you seek. And it’s quite astonishing. [​IMG] 2

2. Bakura Miners – Losing out on the top spot definitely hurts, but do not fear, Miners fans. You still have one of the best teams in the league to root for. However, if you start saying you’re “underappreciated” and are “underdogs”, please keep it to yourself. Because no one else buys that kind of crap.

Sincerely,

Fans of the Monarchs, Storm, Lightning, Packers, and Senators [​IMG] 2

3. Nar Shaddaa Smugglers – One bad week does not a bad team make. The Smugglers struggled this week, yes, but they are still top-tier. And they have a two-game lead on pretty much the entire Skywalker Conference, so they are in good shape going forward. [​IMG] 2

4. Coruscant Senators – Three wins in your first four games is a good achievement. Doing it a season after winning zero of your nine games is even more special. Even if this team flames out in the second half of the season, they’ve built a foundation. That’s key in any rebuilding process. And doing it with a diehard Miner up front is oh-so-delicious irony. [​IMG] 1

5. Ralltiir Starkillers – Euceron came into the week undefeated, and now they have three wins and a huge black eye. We knew the Starkillers were good, but struggling. Now they are good and hopefully off the slide. [​IMG] 2

6. Euceron Storm – Ouch. That is all. Still a good team, though. [​IMG] 4

7. Hapes Consortium Buccaneers – We don’t know what to make of this squad except they are still really attractive. But they can win when they put things together. And Ylesia certainly felt the heat this past week. [​IMG] 2

8. Mando’ade Mercs – You lose by thirty at home to a major rival, and of course you will experience a backslide in the rankings. But don’t fear, they can bounce back. Just need to get rid of the infighting and inconsistency in their game. It can be fixed, but we’ve seen good Mercs teams self-destruct before, so they will have to regroup and get on the same page again before this gets ugly. [​IMG] 2

9. Ylesia Lightning – All the feel-good moments of beating Bakura in Week One are gone now. Even Korlo Penin couldn’t save them this past week, and it was against an all-female team. You would think they would rather date him than beat him up like that. Then again, the Hapans are known to work that way. Either way, the Lightning are falling fast. [​IMG] 1

10. Kuat Triforce – Hung in there against Agamar, but finally relented in the end and lost by ten. We want to say this team is improving, but we’re not sure by how much. N/C

11. Agamar Packers – They finally won a game! Now if they could just score like that every week . . . [​IMG] 1

12. Carratos Pirates – Rough game this week at home. They still have punch left, and their schedule gets a little easier after this. Don’t count them out because they’re last in the rankings; the Skywalker is still wide open for the taking. And underdogs like them usually rise up to challenge the favorites. [​IMG] 1

TAG: CPL_Macja, Trieste, Vehn, jcgoble3, Runjedirun, Bardan_Jusik, Rebecca_Daniels, Tim Battershell, galactic-vagabond422

13. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Ty Allin
    From the very first possession our offense looked like a completely different unit than the one we had fielded just a week earlier. Stommer dribbled around several defenders before passing off to Jul for the first score of the day. Moments later the Storm attempted a drive of their own. They were stopped midfield by Sichi and Zire, who ran across field to help with the block. On the next offensive possession Sureysh fielded a pass from Frokabukk and was able to put a point on the board.

Euceron drove even harder hoping to answer; a shot was taken on goal from my left. I dove to meet it and caught it midair. I felt the hard ground make contact with my fingers as I landed on the ball. Ignoring the pain, I stood up quickly dropped the ball towards my foot and kicked it up field in Andres’ direction. He was able to make a stop with his feet dribble around two defenders and put the ball in the net. I jumped in the air and exchanged high fives with my fellow defenders. The pain in my fingers turned to numbness that wore off sometime during the next play.

The offense continued to dominate and only two shots were able to get by our defensive efforts during the first half. We headed into the locker room with a commanding lead of 21-2. “I know I could pull the starters,” Trey explained at half time. “I know we could take the sportsmanlike route and ease our efforts out there. But they don’t call this the Elite League for nothing. We aren’t pulling the starters today and we aren’t backing down. The Storm signed up for this league and they can take it. They may even come out and try to fight back. If they do, you fight harder,” he instructed.

Dev was playing a solid game, not a goal had been scored on him during the first half. I challenged the rest of the defense to help me keep it that way. We managed to keep the Storm scoreless in the second half. While the offense put up another 18 points for us. When the final whistle blew we all ran to midfield for a huddle. We congratulated each other on the great plays we had made. It was too early in the season for too big of a display. There was no reason to make the Storm or their fans feel any worse about the loss. Without further ado we lined up for handshakes and headed into the locker room.

This was the momentum we needed heading into conference play. What we had held back on the field we let out in the locker room. There was a boisterous celebration. The furry members of our squad were shaking and spraying now mostly clean water all over the locker room when Trey came by and pulled me away with him. I shook my own head to spray them back quickly before I followed him out.

“Put a shirt on,” he told me handing me a comb. “The press is waiting.” As I towel dried my hair one last time and began to pick at the tangled ends with a comb he gave me further instructions. “You agree 100% that Stun is our best option for keeper next week on Rydonni Prime, I haven’t changed my mind about giving the start back to Roselli either. No one loses a roster slot because of an injury.”

“I will support whatever decision you make,” I said just before pulling a shirt over my head. “Don’t worry Trey I’ll be a good boy and say all the right things.”

“Coach Till,” he corrected. “We are coach and player right now; remember?”

“Yes, Coach Till.” I tossed the comb back at him and headed out to face the press.

A horde of reporters were waiting in the next hallway. “Congratulations on your win,” one particularly eager reporter said as he ran ahead of the others to get the first question in. “Considering how well Dev Poletin played in goal today, do you think he deserves the start there next week?”

Trey had known all the questions the media was going to ask. As quickly as possible I answered as he wished so I could get onto the shuttle and unwind. After a win like that Trey had no choice but to be more lenient with seating assignments for the flight home. I rushed aboard to locate Lucie. “Hey there beautiful, is this seat taken?” I asked with a deliberate lift of my eyebrows.

“I’m saving this seat for my husband,” she replied back.

“Just for a moment,” I pleaded. “He won’t find out, I promise.”

"Only for a moment,” she warned. “He’ll be here soon you know and he’s pretty possessive.”

“I only need a moment to win you over,” I sat down next to her and put my arm around her. “What do I need to do to convince you to leave this other guy?” I asked.

“Don’t tempt me,” she shot back.

I couldn’t help but laugh which ended our charade. “Enjoy the game?” I asked. She nodded while I pulled out my data pad to check the score between the Smugglers and the Monarchs. The Smugglers were losing, bad. “Alright,” I exclaimed with a pump of my fist.

“More good news?” Lucie asked.

“Looks like our regular season win record will remain intact,” I told her cheerfully. “The Monarchs are whooping ass.”

“Doesn’t that concern you just al little considering you play the Monarchs next week?”

“Not at all,” I told her. “We can handle the Monarchs.”

Lucie knew better than to argue with me about the Starkillers abilities. She loaded up her own data pad. “There’s a message here from my mother asking us to take Tomas for a day when we get back. She says Spencer has a swim meet in Salibury that she would like to attend.”

“We can do that,” I responded. “Trey will likely have us report to the facility a few hours since we travel again next week. It won’t be a full day practice though, not after a win like that.”

Lucie shook her head as she typed a reply. There really wasn’t any privacy on the team shuttle so for most of the ride we didn’t even talk much. We watched a holo on her datapad, slept and ate a meal to pass the time. When we got off the shuttle Mrs. Vigo was there with her two younger son’s and three grandchildren. T.J. let go of Spencer’s hand and toddled his way into a three way hug. “I missed you so much Junior,” I said pulling him close. “Did you see daddy win?” I asked once I pulled back again as Lucie lifted him in her arms. There was no response as Tomas approached with a small bag over his shoulder. “Ah,” I said, “Kid two. How have you been while we were away?”

“I’m not your kid,” Tomas responded.

“You are a kid and you are staying at my house tonight, aren’t you?” I asked.

"I guess, but don’t call me Junior,” he grumbled.

“What’s wrong?” Lucie asked noticing his poor demeanor.

“Nothing,” he stated.

Lucie went to speak with her mother for a moment. I watched as Andres reunited with his kids. He put his large sized cap on little Marty’s head covering his face completely. Then he lifted Zoey off the ground and spun her around. Her laughter filled the spaceport. Lucie gave her mom a kiss on the cheek in parting and Spencer a hug before she waved good-bye. “Come on,” she said with a sigh as she passed us and lead the way out to our speeder. Tomas and I silently followed as instructed.

“Everything okay?” I asked Lucie as strapped T.J. into his safety seat.

“We’ll discuss it when we get home,” she said forcefully.

Without a word I climbed into the pilot’s seat and began to prep the engine. Once everyone was secured I lifted off into traffic. “What did you think of the game?” I asked looking briefly over my shoulder in Tomas’ direction. “No points scored against us in the entire second half,” I continued as I looked out towards the traffic ahead of me again. “Beating a previously undefeated team, this is why you play Limmie,” I told him. “To prove to the Galaxy nothing you did last week or last season matters.”

“That’s if they let you play,” Tomas grumbled.

“Don’t tell me you lost your starting position?” I asked with concern. “If so I can talk to your coach. Find out why, work with you. We can get it back,” I promised.

“Let’s talk about this when we get to the house,” Lucie advised between clenched teeth.

“Why not talk about it now?” Tomas hollered from the back seat. “I didn’t want to play in that stupid All Star game to begin with and now they’ve announced the challenge team and I’m listed as a reserve,” he fumed.

I was taken by complete surprise. I had expected the league to give Tomas a starting position. It had never even crossed my mind to prepare him for not starting in the game. I had even spent numerous conversations getting him interested and then excited about the opportunity. My first reaction was to be just as angry as he was. Lucie didn’t give me a chance to voice my opinion. “You sound like a spoiled rich kid,” she retorted. “You already have so many opportunities to play Limmie and to participate in ELL events. Heck every home game you are on the field rubbing noses with the Starkillers when you work the sidelines. What do you have against letting other people have a chance for once in life?”

“Don’t tell me how to act,” I heard Tomas fire back. “I’ve been snubbed and I have every right to be angry about it.” There were things I wanted to add to the conversation, but when two Vigo siblings started arguing it was impossible to get a word in. I did my best to tune out their yelling and pay attention to piloting the speeder. Next thing I knew T.J. began to cry.

“Now you went and scared the baby,” I heard Lucie accuse Tomas.

“Don’t worry Junior,” I called over to the back seat. “We are almost home; you and I can get away from this noise real soon.”

“You should have kept your mouth shut for the ride home,” Lucie said suddenly turning the whole thing on me.

My turn couldn’t come soon enough. I pulled onto our street and into our garage. “If anyone is interested we are home,” I said as I began to shut down the engine. Lucie quickly unstrapped herself and rushed around the speeder to comfort T.J. Once she got him unstrapped she lifted him into her arms and carried him upstairs. I looked back towards Tomas, “Help me with the bags?” I asked.

He didn’t reply but he got out of the speeder and followed me to the trunk. We lifted out his bag, my gear, T.J.’s travel bags and Lucie’s. We were loaded down as we trudged up two flights of stairs to the bedrooms. “Thanks,” I told him. “Sorry to hear you aren’t starting at the game, I know you were looking forward to it.” I said as he put his bag down in the guest room.

"Do I still have to go?” He asked.

"Yea,” I told him. “Cliff would be disappointed if you didn’t. Besides you know your father wouldn’t approve of backing out.”

“That’s so unfair!” Tomas exclaimed as he kicked the doorframe to the guest room.

“It’s not that bad, you still get to miss school, travel to Carratos, meet other players, owners, fans and you will get to play. You may play a lot more than you realize,” I said hoping I was right. “Who is starting?” I asked suddenly. “If it’s owners they are just out there for a minute of glory to accept the challenge or represent their franchise. They won’t want or expect a lot of playing time. I bet they will be more than happy to have you relieve them after a few minutes of play.”

“That’s not what I was talking about,” he said more quietly this time. “It’s not fair that for the rest of my life every time I make a decision people expect me to honor my dad and do what he would have wanted. It hasn’t even been a year yet and it feels like I’ll never get to make a decision for myself.”

It sounded rough, “Don’t think of it that way then,” I began. “Think of this way. If your father was alive and he heard you yelling at your sister in the speeder today, saw you kick the doorframe just now, or knew about your attitude in general towards this announcement what do you think his reaction would be?”

Tomas shrugged, “He would tell me to change it”. A bit of a smile appeared on Tomas’ face, “Real quick.” He added.

“You miss your dad so much,” I commented. “That you even miss when he was angry with you, don’t you?”

“I never thought I would miss being in trouble,” he confessed.

“Your dad would be proud of you,” I reminded him. “Representing the family on field in two weeks is a very honorable thing to do” I paused for a moment before adding, “And you can always make trouble you just have to be selective about it.”

“What do you mean by that?” He asked curiously. We talked about how our decisions affected others, willingness to accept consequences and how to learn from messing up. “I liked you better when you were just my older brother,” he commented a moment before Lucie called us downstairs to eat.

That evening Tomas asked Lucie to help him with some schoolwork. I fell asleep on my bed holding T.J. early while watching the holo. In the morning I dropped T.J. off at daycare and took Tomas to school before heading over to the stadium for practice. We did a lot of walk through drills. Kaat was back. “Don’t any of you let anyone knock you down this week,” she ordered. “I don’t want to get suspended again.” I laughed at the comment, hoping it was a joke. Surely she knew if she was suspended again Trey would send her back to Tatooine or cut her completely.

Hovechar was much quieter. Her expression was one of pure determination as she demonstrated her skills, proving that she hadn’t lost her speed or ability to pass while sidelined. “Alyada,” I called to her in the parking lot after practice. She stopped in her tracks when I called her name and looked over her shoulder with a frown. “Wait up,” I told her as I jogged to meet her. “Last week, was last week. This week is new, everything has been forgiven. Can you do me a favor and bring your smile to practice tomorrow?”

“That’s a lot to ask,” she stated flatly.

“Aren’t you happy to be back?” I asked.

“I never lost control of my emotions like that before, it scared me. It’s just going to take a few days to shake off that’s all. Don’t worry Ty, I’ll figure this out,” she said climbing into her speeder. She slammed the door shut and took off, leaving me alone trying to come up with some way to cheer her.

The next morning I dressed T.J. in his Starkillers warm up suit and brought him to practice with me. “Forget to make a stop?” Trey asked as I walked into the locker room hunched over so I could hold his hand as we walked.

“Just for an hour or two,” I told Trey. “This little guy can make anyone smile. I’m trying to lighten up Hovechar’s mood.” I spotted Hovechar over by her locker removing her earrings, getting ready for practice. I pointed at her, “Go say hello to Ms. Alyada.” I told T.J.

T.J. was beginning to understand simple instructions he ran towards Hovejar “Lo”, he said. Several of the female players in the locker room turned his way, their faces melted.

Not Alyada’s. “Ty,” she looked at me with an expression full of hurt. “I’m sorry, I don’t like children. Besides there’s puke all over his shirt, I think you should find him a clean one, he stinks.”

I went over and collected my son. “Little guys lose their breakfast, that’s all.” I said as I lifted him into my arms. His shirt did smell, but I did my best not to let on that it bothered me. “You don’t think he’s the least bit cute?” I asked.

“No, but that’s not surprising his father isn’t much of a looker either.”

Well at least she could still throw me an insult. I brought T.J. out on the field and handed him a cup of water which he mostly poured on himself as he attempted to drink it. Jeffers, Zire and I began a three-way game of catch to warm up and I took my eyes off him for a minute or two. When I turned around T.J. was gone. For several minutes I calmly asked everyone in sight if they had seen what direction he wandered off in. It didn’t take long before panic began to set in. Frantically I ran off field and began to search the locker room and surrounding hallway.

My teammates joined me on the search. Hovechar and I together ran back towards the field to look there once more. The dance team was assembled on the far corner and Lucie was headed towards us with a happy one year old in her arms. “Lose something?” She asked me, furious. “How much money are we spending on daycare? And do you know why we spend so much on daycare?” She asked. Without giving me a chance to answer she continued. “He needs constant supervision. At daycare they watch over T.J. You can’t provide that here. But I don’t need to tell you that. Do I? Because you lost him already, practice hasn’t even officially started yet and he already wondered off. Now, you take him,” she said handing him over. “Directly to daycare, pay the price for missing any practice and don’t cry to me about it.” She turned leaving me with T.J. and ran back to her own rehearsal.

Hovechar stood next to me laughing, “She told you.”

“You’re smiling, laughing even, my plan worked.” I told her as I headed off field and back towards the locker room.

Trey and coach Zan were on their way out to the field. “Where do you think you’re going?” Trey asked.

“I’m taking T.J. to daycare,” I replied. “Be back in 20 minutes,” I said as I rushed off without giving him a chance for further questions.

I knew there would be a price to pay when I got back and there was. Before being allowed to join practice I was assigned sit-ups and push-ups. When I did join practice Trey put me in the goal box and had the entire offense take shots at me for an hour. It was exhausting work and just when I thought I was finished the rest of the team came over to throw and kick a few more balls at me. Alyada’s grin when she put a ball over my head and into the net made it all worthwhile.

It was a short week. Lucie and I were boarding the shuttle to Rydonni Prime just a few days later. We parted ways and I went to sit with the rest of the defense. Our roster had been restored, Roselli would be starting and Stun would get another chance in goal. We were looking forward to proving ourselves in conference play and moving up the ranks in the Solo Conference.

Tags: jcgoble3 CPL_Macja

14. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Geoff Copin

Shield Towers, O’pahz, Carratos

“What’s the occasion?” Geoff asked walking in to the bedroom he and his wife shared. He was drying his hair with a towel and she was wearing a simple black dress, not a formal evening gown but, not something you were to a lime game, with a necklace. Upon closer inspection he noticed that the charm on the necklace was a Pirates’ logo.

“Oh, Schnitt sent passes for the girls and I to sit in the owner’s box this game.” She answered while Geoff grabbed an undershirt from his dresser.

“Wait isn’t the commissioner visiting this week?” He pulled a button down shirt off its hanger.

“Yes, hence the box seats,”

“Are you sure that they’ll behave themselves?”

“Well, Ira is a perfect little girl, Iris on the other hand,” she sighed “I’ll be lucky if she doesn’t bring that bolo-ball you got her.”

“You know I can’t say no to those girls sometimes.”

“I don’t blame you. She’s just so energetic and doesn’t listen.”

“What four-year-old does?” He asked putting on a pair of slacks

“Well, Ira for one,”

“Ira is an outlier. My mom told me that no force in the galaxy could keep me still for more than 10 minutes.”

“See, that’s why Iris is your child.”

“Hey she’s our child, Iris just takes after me is all, just like Ira takes after you.”

“You’re right,” Geoff finished getting dressed and turned to his wife.

“So, do i look ready to win a limmie game?”

“You always do.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek. They exited the bedroom and saw Iris and Ira running around. Ira had on a black skirt and white blouse, Iris wore simple pants and her Cavanagh t-shirt. “Ok girls let’s get going.” The twins stopped running and turned to their parents. “Iris didn’t I say to wear something nice.” Iris looked up at her mother a bit of sadness in her eyes.

“But, I like these mom,”

“You may like them but…”

“Ah, let the girl wear what she wants, Schnitt will understand.” Geoff said cutting his wife off. Laura looked at him. She opened her mouth to speak but before words could leave Geoff rushed them out the door.

“Better win coach.” Bara said as the family hurried past.

“We will Bara,” He replied giving a thumbs up.

Goss-Pell Memorial Stadium, O’pahz, Carratos

The crowd erupted with a Pirate ‘Arrr’ after Rime scored an early bar point on Christine Gamble, the opposing captain. Everything seemed fine, Amasova got a goal after Rhodri bit hard on a pump fake, but defense was holding. Then Seiji lost possession and in a flash the ball was in the hands of Leia Adama, she faked the bar point and sent the ball into the back of the net. Soon after Rime was hit hard by Gamble causing a turnover, again the ball ended up near Adama and then in the back of the net. Rime replied by scoring another bar point but, the tide had turned. The Senators offense lit into the defense shredding the passive intercept style Geoff was testing out. Vayan scored a bar point but, the first half ended 18-3 five goals down, the Pirates so far only averaged three goals a game.

“Team” he said getting their attention. The team looked burnt, almost nothing left. “Guys I’ve got nothing, I don’t hear Drunken Spacer in the stands so even the Scallywags are done, I’m pretty sure the commissioner is done and the Senators are dominating.” He looked around no sprits were uplifted he didn’t expect them to be. They couldn’t make it back against the Miners last week and Geoff had no hope of beating the Senators this week. He set his datapad on a bench and clapped his hands. “You know what; forget my defensive strategy, play like we have been. Let’s go out there and have fun.” Everyone looked around. “I’m sure the Senators are getting bored of scoring on every attack and the fans are bored from watching them. So let’s change things up, do the unexpected, take risks, play like you’re in an empty field with your friends, let’s be the only people having fun on that pitch what’s there to lose.” Rime shrugged his shoulders and Rhodri shook his head.

The Pirates returned to the field with a bit more energy but, did little to change the game. Else managed to find some open space in the middle of the offensive zone and sent a powerful kick to the top corner. Vayan put some distance between himself and his defender and threw the ball into the back of the net. Other than those flashes of brilliance the offense could do much. Logan was pinned down and Rime couldn’t shake his man. Leigh was well covered but Geoff noticed that she missed some golden opportunities to score she had been all game. She seemed distracted by something. The clock wound down and the match ended 30-9 the Pirates got crushed again this time at home. Next week started conference play and Geoff like his prospects there a little better. Their first conference game was against the Storm with a 3-1 record. Geoff was not looking forward to that game. He shook hands and gave some interviews, on the sidelines he saw Leigh talking to two large men, not Star Dragons. The men walked away as Geoff approached. Leigh disappeared into the locker room her eyes wide. Geoff didn’t say anything to the team, there was nothing to say. He was angry, not at the team, at himself. He failed the team, he gave up, lost his hope. His mind was clouded as approached the exit. Just inside the front door he saw Leigh standing in a corner looking nervous.

“Something wrong Leigh?” he asked, her brown eyes darted around.

“No, nothing’s wrong.” She said in a weak voice. It was strange for Geoff to see her like this. Normally she was a confident, headstrong woman, now she looked scared, her arms were crossed, and her eyes rarely moved from the floor.

“Leigh, I pretty sure the crowds have moved on so there’s nothing to be afraid of out there.” She glanced outside. “See they’re gone.” She tightened her arms around herself. He looked outside himself and saw the two large men she was talking to after the game. “Hey where do you live? I can walk with you there if that would make you more comfortable.” She looked up obviously thinking about the proposal.

“You live in Shield Towers right?” She asked.

“Um, yeah,” He answered, a little confused.

“They’ve got guards on the front door?”

“Yeah they do but,”

“Can we go there?”

“Um, I don’t think,”

“Please,” He could see the fear in her eyes.

“Ok, stay close.” As they left the stadium Geoff kept an eye on the men following Leigh. His comlink buzzed, it was his wife.

“Hey babe,” Laura said, Geoff made sure that she could only see him, “Schnitt and Syrnola are taking us out to eat, where do you want to go?”

“You know what, why don’t you and the girls go on ahead. I’ve got things to do back home.”

“You sure,”

“Yeah, I’m afraid I wouldn’t be good company right now.”

“Ok, see you at home.” He deactivated his comlink and walked on, Leigh stayed very close the whole way. Geoff wanted to put an arm around her shoulders to provide some kind of comfort but, he couldn’t. He knew this was a bad idea, taking her to his apartment without his wife and kids there, that didn’t look good.

“Hey, Bara,” Geoff said as he approached the front door. “If anyone comes looking for Leigh tell them she’s not here.” The Klatooinan leaned in shifting his gaze between the two humans.

“Do you want me to warn you when your wife comes back?” Bara said his eyes boring in to Geoff.

“No, Bara, it’s not like that.” Geoff couldn’t think of anything to say to make the situation seem less wrong. They made their way up to Geoff’s apartment. Inside Leigh moved quickly to the window and looked outside. Geoff sat down as she closed the blinds. “Ok Leigh,” he said looking over the back of the sofa, “What’s going on?” She walked around and sat next to him her hands shaking a bit.

“I got myself into a lot of trouble.” He nodded his head.

“That’s obvious but, what kind of trouble.”

“I made some bad bets and I don’t have the money to pay them.” Geoff’s eyes widened, gambling debts were serious things on Carratos, even the legitimate casinos had no problems with breaking legs to encourage re-payment.

“Who do you owe money to, maybe Schnitt can help.”

“I asked for an advance on my paycheck but, he said no.”

“Did you explain the situation?”

“Not really, I don’t want to lose this job and Schnitt could can me in an instant.”

“He’s not that kind of guy. If you explain the problem to him he’ll try to help.”

“I don’t want him to know about my gambling he could see it as a liability.”

“If it’s a onetime thing I’m sure it’ll be no problem.” Leigh looked to the ground. “It is a onetime thing right?” Geoff asked worry entering his voice. The young forward remained silent. “Leigh if this is an issue you should seek help, professional help, Carratos is no place for a gambling addict.”

“You think I don’t know that.” She shouted raising her eyes to meet his, “I grew up here, lived down the street from where the stadium stands. I know what happens to people who don’t pay their debts.” Tears began to well up in her eyes. He put his hand on her shoulder,

“I’m sorry,” he said staring into her brown eyes, “I didn’t mean to hurt you.” He felt her hand on his knee.

“It’s alright.”

“Talk with Schnitt tomorrow explain the whole deal and see what he says, he might surprise you.”

“I will,” she smiled and Geoff’s heart began to race. He’d never noticed her eyes before, they were kind and warm. Her hand slid above his knee and he moved his hand closer to her neck. Millimeter by millimeter their eyes came closer together. Leigh’s breathing quickened. Geoff continued to move closer until her short blonde hair brushed against his hand. The door opened, Geoff and Leigh turned their heads surprised by the sudden noise. Laura stood in the doorway, her eye’s wide. Geoff rose quickly,

“Babe, I can…” He started

“Geoff,” Laura said cutting him off “Not now.” Iris and Ira walked up behind their mother. Iris’ little jaw hit the floor.

“Leigh Cavanagh.” She squealed. Iris ran over and immediately began to pepper Leigh with questions.

“Iris honey,” Laura called out “Miss Cavanagh has to leave now.”

“Do you have to?” the four year old asked. Leigh nodded her head furiously. Geoff could see it in her eyes, she wanted out of there now. The limmie forward stood, said a quick goodbye to Iris and, exited.

“Ok, girls,” Laura said getting her daughters’ attention, “get ready for bed, mommy and daddy will be back in a minute.” Geoff followed his wife to the bedroom.

“Babe, I can explain.” He said once the door to the bed room closed.

“Please do,” Laura said a little bit of sadness in her voice, “explain why you brought a young woman here alone?”

“She was in trouble, I tried to help. I know it was a mistake to bring her here but,”

“Mistake, a mistake, do you know how much I hurt right now,” Her voice trailed off. Geoff reached out a hand, she knocked it away.

“Babe, I’m sorry, I assure you nothing happened.” Laura raised her hand and screwed her eyes shut.

“Just stop talking.” She took a few deep breaths and walked away. Geoff helped put the girls to bed and then returned to the bedroom. He tried to restart the conversation but, Laura had no interest in continuing. They changed and got into bed. They weren’t as close as the usually were, like there was a wall between them in the bed. Geoff’s mind was flooded with guilt, what would’ve happened if Laura hadn’t walk in when she did, how far would have Leigh and him gone. Geoff stomach turned, he made a vow to love his wife and to be loyal to her alone. What about Leigh, she was nineteen. Still just a girl and he had no business even thinking about her like that. His mind kept replaying the moments just before Laura opened the door. Leigh sent lingered in his nose. He got out of bed and made his way over to the kitchen. He opened a cabinet and pulled down a bottle from the top self. They didn’t keep much liquor in the home and only brought in out for company. Tonight Geoff wanted a drink. He opened the bottle of Rancor Killer and took a swig. The small batch whiskey from Denon burned and bubbled its way to his stomach. He poured a glass and downed it, then another. His body began to feel numb and his head heavy. He stumbled over to the couch and collapsed.

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Jado Nalo
    Time: Following the Week 4 game against Ralltiir

“Come on, Master,” Jado pleaded. “Dad wants to see us.”

Zay stayed firmly planted in his seat—Section 342, Row 18, Seat 7, to be precise—and continued to pout.

“Come on, it's just a game.”

Those six words had no more effect on his Master than the first three times the Padawan had uttered them.

“What's wrong? I thought you had broken your attachment, but—”

Don't talk to me about that!” snapped Zay. “You need to—”

“Alright, why are you yelling at my perfect little son?”

Both Jedi turned to look at the newcomer making his way up the stairs. He was easy to spot for two reasons: the bright blue uniform of a Eusebus Police Department officer would stand out in any crowd, and there was no crowd at all, for the game had been over for 45 minutes and the two Jedi were the last fans left in the seating areas. Clearly this officer wanted them to leave, and for once Jado was happy to have his father tell him what to do.

Lieutenant Marte Nalo arrived at Row 18 and studied Zay for a moment. The older Jedi took a deep breath and held it for a moment before releasing it slowly and speaking. “I apologize, Mr. Nalo. Jado is right. I need to work on my attachment to limmie some more.”

“I frankly don't understand the Jedi concept of 'attachment', so I'll let you two work that out. Anyway, we're ready to close down the seating areas, and I want to show you guys a new toy we have for security this season.”

Zay perked up at the words “new toy”, and Jado suppressed a chuckle. Leave it to Dad to get him moving. The three of them walked down the stairs and out into the concourse, where a few fans were still milling around. As Marte led them back to the main security office, Marte inquired about the Bassell trial.

Jado answered. “Well, the reason it's taking so long is because Rosty's been held in contempt four times, and each time they have to adjourn for the day and sometimes take a day or two off to get everyone to calm down. But the prosecution wrapped up its case Friday afternoon. Rosty starts his defense tomorrow morning.”

“Will he even present a defense?”

“We don't know. But we'll find out tomorrow.”

Arriving at the security office, Marte swiped his identification in the card reader beside the door. It beeped twice and flashed a red light. He tried again and got the same result.

“Er, looks like we have an issue,” he said, digging into his pocket. He fished out another card. “Master key,” he commented as he swiped it. This time the reader emitted a single beep and a green light, and they heard the door unlock. Marte pushed it open.

Two officers in the room turned to the door and immediately rose, snapped to attention, and saluted. “At ease,” Marte said, tossing the older of the two his ID. “Check that in the system, Sergeant. The card reader on this door wasn't accepting it.”

“Right away, sir,” he said, quickly going over to the computer.

Marte turned to the other officer. “How much of the stadium is clear so far? I want to demonstrate the new toy for our Jedi friends here.”

“Give me a minute to find out, sir.” The young corporal made some radio calls and got a few responses. “We've cleared the whole South Wing, and should have the East Wing cleared in a couple of minutes. The North and West Wings are still quite full and will need another half hour to an hour to clear out.”

“Perfect. Let me know when the East Wing is cleared.” Jado knew that the East Wing was where they were, so that would make the ideal testing place for... whatever this toy was. Marte turned back to Zay. “Where's Palla?”

“Guard duty at the jail. I'm surprised Rosty hasn't tried something yet.”

“'Rosty'? Why are we now on a first-name basis with a mortal enemy?”

“Well, when you have two bad guys with the same last name, you have to differentiate them somehow.”

Marte opened his mouth to respond, but didn't get the chance before the corporal spoke up. “Sir, the East Wing is clear.”

“Great. Take the controls while I head out there with them, and keep an eye on us through security cams.”

“Yes, sir.” The corporal slid his seat over to another control panel as Jado and his Master were led out of the room.

Marte escorted them about 200 meters down the empty concourse to a nacho stand, where a couple of workers were cleaning the cheese machine. He called over to them. “How about y'all take a break for a few minutes and watch our latest security toy in action?”

The two workers grinned and put down the parts they were scrubbing. A manager stuck his head out from a back room to see what was going on, and decided to watch also. They were instructed to stay behind the counter as Marte turned back to Zay and Jado.

“Since you saw fit to yell at my son earlier when he didn't do anything wrong, we're going to test on you, Zay. Sound good to you, Jado?”

Jado grinned and gave two thumbs up. Zay protested, “Hey, don't I get a say in this?”

“Nope. Stand over here.” Marte indicated a spot on the floor about two meters from the wall across from the nacho stand. “Act like you're causing problems. Or just stand there. Either works. Jado, follow me.”

Jado followed his father back behind the counter of the nachos stand, joining the three workers.

Marte clicked his radio button. “Lieutenant Nalo to all units. We are going to test the... new toy in the East Wing. Stay clear. Corporal Hest, do you have eyes on us?”

Hest to Nalo, I have eyes on you. Assume we're testing on the older Jedi?

“Affirmative. Put it on short range, medium power on my mark.”

Stand by... ready for your mark.

“Three... two... one... mark.”

Almost as soon as Marte said “mark”, an invisible force yanked Zay off his feet and pinned him to the wall. Jado and the nacho stand workers all busted out laughing.

“What the kriff was that?” sputtered Zay. He tried to move his arms, then his legs, but they were firmly plastered to the wall. “It feels like I'm on one of those carnival rides that spin you around and use centrifugal force to hold you in place while the whole unit tilts up to vertical. Except I'm not spinning.”

“It's the same principle,” Marte explained, “just more power. Directly behind you is a gravity generator pulling eight standard g-forces. That's what's holding you to the wall. In a real emergency, we could pin people to the wall and immobilize them until security can get there. Then security can stand out of the generator's range and hit them with a blaster set to stun before the generator is turned off. Depending on what the situation calls for, we can set it anywhere from four gees to thirty gees.”

“How'd you come up with this idea?” Jado inquired.

“Actually, it wasn't our idea. Two years ago, my predecessor as head of stadium security met with Tim Dodd of the Packers and a representative of the ASF to discuss ways to maintain stadium security. This was one of the ideas that they passed to us. They also set up an officer exchange between Euceron and Agamar, which I participated in. We got a lot of new ideas from them, mostly new training techniques and new strategies and tactics for responding to active threats. These generators, though, were quite expensive, which is why we just got them installed this year.”

“Cool!” said the nacho stand manager. He turned to his two employees. “Now get back to work so we can get out of here, or I'm going to have him pin you to the wall,” he said, with a wink. The two workers laughed as they returned to cleaning the cheese machine.

“Can I be released?” asked Zay.

“Oh, yeah, almost forgot about that,” Marte said with a chuckle. He hit the radio button and ordered the generator turned off, and Zay promptly fell to the floor.

Picking himself up, Zay studied Marte for a minute as they walked back to the security office. As they reached the door, he finally spoke. “Remind me to never cross you again.”

Marte just laughed as the door was opened from the inside, revealing the face of the sergeant, who was holding up Marte's ID. “Sir, somebody got into the system and revoked your card's access to everything. And whoever it was didn't leave a trace in the system.”

“Great. Tracking a slicer was never my strong suit. Did you get the permissions restored?”

“No. I don't have sufficient clearance to give you everything. The chief will have to do it. Until then, you'll have to use the master key.”

“Why would they even bother when I carry the master key?”

“Beats me, but I suspect the answer to that question will be very important.”

Time: The next day

Jado, again seated in the spectator area in street clothes, watched as the judge took a deep breath before speaking. “On Friday afternoon, the state rested its case, and we adjourned at that point. We will therefore now proceed with the presentation of the defense. Mr. Bassell, please call your first witness.”

“Shut up,” Rosty Bassell replied.

This behavior had gone on enough throughout the trial that no one was surprised by this response; indeed, Jado has almost expected such a retort. The judge simply spoke again. “Mr. Bassell, do you wish to call witnesses or not?”

“Why should I?”

Jado detected a definite tone of sarcasm in that comment. The judge apparently recognized it also. “Mr. Bassell, I will ask this question only one more time, and I expect either a yes or a no in response. Anything else will result in yet another contempt charge. Do you wish to call witness or not?”

“No, dummy. You couldn't figure that out from my first two answers? I ought to revoke your kindergarten diploma.” The audience was laughing uproariously by now. “See, they're laughing at you.”

The laughter was interrupted by the sound of a gavel being repeatedly banged on a desk. “Order in the court!” the judge demanded. The room quieted immediately. “Mr. Bassell, they were laughing at you, not me. And I find you in contempt again. Let's just move on. Since you refuse to call witnesses, the prosecution therefore had no need for a rebuttal, and we will proceed to closing arguments. As the defense did not call witnesses, they have the right to go first. Mr. Bassell, would you like to make a closing argument?”

“My closing argument is this,” Rosty said as he leaned back in his chair, folded his arms, and studied the judge. After a moment, he said simply, “You're an idiot.”

The judge let out an exaggerated sigh. “Fine then. I'll let the court of public opinion decide whether that is true or not. The prosecution may now make its closing arguments.”

The prosecution team conferred for a moment, then the lead prosecutor spoke from his seat. “Your Honor, given the defendant's refusal to offer any kind of defense whatsoever, we see no need to waste time with closing arguments. The witness's testimony and the defendant's behavior can speak for themselves.”

“Fair enough,” said the judge. “I am compelled to ask one more time if the defendant would like to make a final statement before the jury begins deliberations.”

“Kriff you,” said Rosty.

“Whatever,” muttered the judge. He pressed a few buttons on his desk, and the faint sound of vibrating datapads was heard from several areas of the courtroom. “Prosecutors, defendant, and jury, the jury instructions have been transmitted to your datapads. I now release the jury for deliberations.”

“All rise,” said the bailiff. Everyone in the courtroom, save Rosty, stood. The judge and bailiff both chose to ignore this breach of protocol as the jury exited the courtroom.

The judge elected to remain in the courtroom, and Jado figured that deliberations would be short. What was shorter was the length of time it took Rosty to doze off: he was asleep and snoring loudly within two minutes. The judge buried his head in his hands. “Can someone please wake him up?”

Palla retrieved a large book from a shelf next to the judge's bench and dropped it on the defense table. Rosty jumped. “Give me some peace and quiet, will ya?”

The judge responded. “I do not permit sleeping in my courtroom.”

The bailiff came through the door to the jury room and delivered a note to the judge, who read it. “Well, that was fast,” said the judge. “It appears that we have a verdict already. Bailiff, please bring the jury in.”

Everyone in the room, again excluding Rosty, rose on command as the jury filed in and took their seats. Following the standard script, the judge asked if the jury had reached a verdict.

“We have, Your Honor,” said the jury foreman.

“Please read the verdict.”

“We, the jury, having taken into account all of the evidence presented during this trial and nothing more, do unanimously find the defendant, Mr. Rosty Bassell, guilty as charged, and furthermore, having examined all aspects of the crime, recommend the death penalty.”

“Thank you. Does either side wish to poll the jury?” The prosecutors looked at Rosty, who merely flashed an obscene gesture at the judge. “I'll take that as a no. In the interest of ending this as fast as possible, I shall simply impose the recommended death penalty, and I will order that Mr. Bassell be held at the Jedi Temple on Ossus until such time as the execution can be carried out. That concludes this trial; the jury is dismissed, and this court is adjourned.”

The Jedi in the room, save Jado who was still undercover, conferred for a few minutes on how best to get Rosty back to the Temple securely. They settled on a plan, and six Jedi escorted Rosty from the courtroom, leaving Palla and Zay behind. When Rosty was out of sight and earshot, Jado got up and joined his Master. “So what now?”

“We hold him until execution. Simple as that,” said Palla.

“Shouldn't you two be part of the escort? This is where we're most likely to have an attack.”

“The Masters felt that it was better to not have anyone in the escort that he knows, otherwise it could be too easy to exploit a weakness.”

“That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't you want the people that know him best and know what he's most likely to try to be part of the escort?”

“That's what I thought,” said Zay, “but I was overruled.”

Palla's comlink vibrated, and she answered. “Yes?... What?” Her free hand went to her lightsaber, and Jado automatically did the same. “What direction did he go?... Are you guys okay?... We'll get help there as fast as possible.” She hung up and looked at her former Padawan and his apprentice. “They tried to take a back route to minimize attention, but they were attacked by an army of hundreds led by Rondy. Rosty escaped with them. They don't have the manpower to chase him down, and there aren't enough Jedi on the planet or police in the state to go after an army of that size.”

“And so begins the hunt again,” Jado said.

“Indeed,” said Zay.

Over the next two days, they discussed what to do. Marte was brought into the conversation as well. Eventually, it was decided that the Council would personally lead the hunt for the Bassells this time, while Palla, Zay, and Jado would travel with the Storm for protection as they had done in 275. They had no evidence to suggest that an attack on the Storm was likely, but with Rosty on the loose again, anything was possible. The decision was also made to keep the escape quiet as long as possible; the public would be told that he was being held at the Temple as planned, not that he had escaped, to prevent panic. Stadium security would be increased as well.

A major point of contention was whether to pull Jado from the All-Star Challenge Team. Ultimately, the Council put the decision on his Master's hands. Zay decided that Jado would play as normal, but instructed him to be on high alert during the game and that he had the double duty of playing and providing security. Palla and Zay would provide security themselves during the game along with several other Jedi, and Zay would be on the sideline and would carry Jado's lightsaber during the game.

As they arrived on Carratos for the Week 5 game, Palla, Zay, and Jado resolved to do whatever it took to recapture the Bassell brothers and bring them to justice.

TAG: galactic-vagabond422 (for Week 5), Trieste (for ASG security; consider all relevant league officials aware of what's going on), Tim Battershell (for the ASF mention, and the results of our conference from two seasons ago)

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines

• Elite League praises Euceron verdict against Rosty Bassell, but deplores the fact that he is at large again
    • League is unconcerned about security for the ASG, saying, "We're ready for anything"
    TAG: jcgoble3

Runjedirun likes this.
  17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Xander Darkrider
    Coruscant

“Thanks for inviting us out to join you two for dinner,” Zeke Barbosa said. He tugged on the cufflinks of his sport jacket as he spoke.

“No problem,” Xander said. He unlocked the speeder door and got into the driver’s seat. Zeke got in on the passenger side, and the two players’ wives, Jenna Leed for Zeke and Reena Darkrider for Xander, got in the back. Their couples’ three children were being babysat tonight so that their parents could go out for dinner, especially with the Darkrider’s daughter only being two weeks old. Reena had finally recovered from her long pregnancy and then the birthing process, and Xander had wanted to take her out to a fancy restaurant to celebrate. Inviting Zeke and Jenna along had come around afterwards, given that Jenna and Reena had been teammates in the 277 season and Jenna had been a friendly source of advice for the Hapan during her pregnancy. After all, Jenna had given birth to her second child not too long before the beginning of the Limmie season, so she had been able to give the first-time mother in Reena some advice while both of them were carrying their children. Zeke, as Jenna’s husband, had been invited along.

“So, back to your place?” Xander asked.

“Yes,” Zeke said. “I think it’s time we get back there to our kids.”

“Kids? I like the sound of that,” Xander said with a sly grin. “Hey dear, you hear that?” he asked his wife in the back seat. “I like the sound of kids, with the plural. Let’s say you and I strive for that at some point.”

“Give me some time to recover, and then we can try for another,” Reena said back. She had retired after the 277 season specifically so that she could start a family with her new husband.

“I like it when you say that,” Xander commented. The speeder took off from the curb and then went into the hyperlane.

“So, we’ve got a big game this week,” Zeke said.

“Hm, the C-Bucs,” Jenna said. “They’re going to want to play us tough as usual.”

“They’re just a bunch of girls. We can beat them,” Xander commented. Reena gave him a dirty look from the backseat, but the midfielder ignored it.

“Gave us a hard time last year. That was ugly,” Zeke said with a frown. Of course, with him being a Bith, you couldn’t easily tell.

“Almost everyone gave us a hard time,” Jenna said with a sigh. “But this is a new year. We have a better team; we can take them this time. At home in front of our fans.”

“If they decide to show up,” Xander said. “The first two home games haven’t exactly been sold out. Not like Six Boroughs or Mandalore. Those places filled up fast and were loud.”

“I think they will,” Jenna pointed out. “We’ve won a game for them, and we’ve looked a lot better this season. So they will show up.”

“Depends,” Xander said. “They’re probably still a little wary after last year, as they should be. I heard attendance last year was terrible.”

“A few wins can go a long way,” Jenna said.

Xander looked forward as he stuck the nose of his speeder out into the lane to yield to oncoming traffic before turning left. He saw a few speeders whiz by, but he didn’t see the one coming from the left wildly. When he saw the glare of the headlights in his mirror, he only had time to quickly look before the sound of crushing metal hit his ears. He was pushed back, his head nailing the headrest. Everything went black.

The call came late in the evening. Gark fumbled for the comlink from his bedside table, his paw just not quite able to get it. Finally he found the device and flipped it on. The caller was Zeke . . . what did he want? Gark groggily punched the “Answer” button.

“What is it?” he asked, still tired.

“This is Jenna Leed,” came the voice from the other end of the line.

“You’re calling me late at night with Zeke’s comm. unit?” Gark asked.

“It’s urgent!” Jenna said. “Zeke’s been in an accident!”

Gark tried to get up, but his head smacked into the headboard, and he winced in pain as he sat up. The sudden jostling of the bed woke his wife, and she rolled over to see what the commotion was about.

“How serious?” Gark asked. Now he was worried about his goalkeeper.

“The doctors say he fractured his wrist and has a broken rib.”

“He’s at the hospital?” Gark asked, now standing up.

“We’re all here at the hospital. I got out with just a few scratches . . .”

“How many of you were involved?” Gark asked.

“It was Zeke and I, and Reena and Xander . . . he was driving . . . we got blindsided,” Jenna said. “They took Xander into the critical care ward, he got bashed around pretty badly . . . we’ve heard no word for the last hour.”

“Do you want me to come down?” Gark asked.

“No, I think we’ll be fine for tonight,” Jenna said. “But I think you might want to inform Doctor Wor that we’ve got some injuries that could keep us out of this week’s game.”

“If Zeke fractured his wrist and broke a rib, I think he’s going to miss a few games.”

“Zeke can tough it out,” Jenna said.

“Better to not take the risk,” Gark said.

The next morning, Gark drove down to the hospital to check in on his players. He quickly found Zeke’s hospital room after some help from the desk staff, and he entered it slowly not to disrupt anyone. Zeke sat in the bed looking worse for wear, and his bulbous head moved to track the Bothan as he came inside. “I won’t play this week,” he said.

“Of course you won’t,” Gark said. “Where’s Jenna?”

“Probably around somewhere. I asked her to stay here last night. She wasn’t hurt badly, so she was able to get away from needing a hospital stay like me.”

“How’s the rib?”

Zeke coughed, and then he winced. “It’s been better,” the Bith said.

“What about Xander? I heard he got nicked up pretty badly,” Gark inquired.

“Don’t know. Jenna didn’t tell me anything.”

“Then I’m sure I have some things to find out. I’ll be back.” Gark left the room and then asked Xander’s whereabouts from the staff. It took him a good fifteen minutes to find his way to the critical care ward, and when he was there, he was allowed to see Xander. The midfielder was a complete wreck in his hospital bed. Reena was sitting there quietly holding his hand.

“He doesn’t look so good,” Gark said, stating the obvious.

“The doctors say he fractured his collarbone in three places, plus got a concussion, and a broken jaw,” Reena said. “Whiplash.”

“Hey, Xander, can you hear me?” Gark asked. The midfielder couldn’t open his mouth for fear of it hurting like the devil, but nodded slightly. “Good. You’re lucky to be alive; oftentimes crashes like that claim lives.”

“Almost did,” Xander finally said, but it obviously was painful to do so, and thus he stayed quiet again.

“I think you’re done for the year,” Gark said. Xander shut his eyes and sighed ever so slightly. The Bothan looked to Reena, one of his former players. “Have you seen Jenna?”

“She was in here several hours ago, but I think she found a place to sleep,” the Hapan said.

Gark then went searching for the half back. He looked all over the hospital, including the cafeteria, before finally finding her with her head drooping over in a waiting room seat. She was still dressed in a very fancy get-up, obviously not having gone home the night before. Gark didn’t blame her; this had been a pretty traumatic event for all involved. He shook her shoulder, and she awoke.

“You hurt badly?” he asked.

“Not too seriously. The doctors looked at me and said that I had some bruising, but nothing major. I don’t think I’ll be well enough to play this week, though. Too sore.”

Now Gark knew he had a problem. Three players were out for this week, and at least one out for the season. This was the last thing his team needed while starting the conference slate.

TAG: Vehn, and Myself (for the Hapes response, if any)

Senators Team Transactions:

Xander Darkrider (Human, Male, Midfielder) - Placed on IR
    Zeke Barbosa (Bith, Male, Goalkeeper) - Placed on Disabled List
    Jenna Leed (Human, Female, Half Back) - Out for Week Five game against Hapes

Gayla Renhorn (Human, Female, Midfielder) - Called up to Senators from Thyferra
    Ziva Kender (Nautolan, Female, Goalkeeper) - Called up to Senators from Thyferra

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: May Trieste
    The Inky Raven, Salis D’aar, Bakura
    Day before home game against Kuat

“You’re coming,” Falene insisted.

“No, it’s a team thing,” May replied.

“You’re on the team.”

“I meant it’s a player thing.”

“No it’s not.”

“How many beings who aren’t players show up?”

“Well...none, but you can still come.”

“It’ll be weird.”

“I’m ordering as you as Taoiseach to come,” Falene finally said.

“You seriously are not.”

“I seriously am.”

And that settled it. May was committed now. She had to go.

So it was that May walked into the Inky Raven. It was an old bar with lots of character with its rich wood paneling, low lighting, and a generally intimate setting. It was a favorite bar of a certain sort of beings, professionals and not the partiers. This was evidenced by who had recommended the bar to Falene in the first place.

“Sydney Talon,” Falene had said when May had inquired.

“You mean the lawyer with more gel in his hair than an environmental disaster oil slick?” Dalton Ward asked, “I think I like this place less now…”

“He’s a good guy,” Falene defended.

“He’s a lawyer. You can’t use the words ‘good guy’ in the same sentence with him,” Sutton Millard observed.

“He got this team out of a jam in 272,” Alana said, “We were looking at major penalties back then if those GCAA charges stuck. Kayl’hen was going to come for us.”

“Well, you know what they say: sometimes you don’t need a criminal attorney, you need a criminal attorney,” Ward said.

“I don’t get it,” Dorvan Fiesta said.

“Forget it,” Falene said, “He’s being cheeky.”

The Miners gathered at the table were the Bak10 contingent of the team. It was college game day and with practice done for the day, they’d all hustled to the Raven to watch their teams in action. UB Salis D’aar had the largest contingent, represented by Niskat and Dalton. Alana repped UB Cape Suzette. Dorvan was a UB Gesco City grad. Sutton was an alumna of Atalanta and riding high after their championship last year (though she’d missed playing on that team by one year). Falene was, of course, a Prytis College of Natural Sciences alum. Nelly Wizmark was an Evenvale Archer. All of them were wearing t-shirts representing their institutions and May had, on Falene’s instructions, followed suit with her University of Nime t-shirt. Nime didn’t play limmie anywhere near the Bak10’s level. Then again, May had never actually gone to a game, so she was only about 80% sure that was the case.

The Inky Raven might cater to professionals, but even professionals loved their alma maters. All the Bak10 games were showing on multiple vidscreens throughout the bar, allowing everyone to keep tabs on everyone else. Not only were the Miners rooting for their teams, but they were also needling everyone else based on what was happening in other games.

“Look at Tiarest go,” Sutton teased Niskat to the latter’s displeasure.

“Man, how can you call D&M your rival, Dorvan, if they’re going to do stupid Sithspit like that?” Alana said.

“Ooooooh, what a beautiful score by Fleet Academy,” Ward said, “You know, they’re going to rip you to shreds in Rivalry Week, Alana.”

“Uh huh, like that Bears defense is going to stop Tiarest,” Alana retorted.

“Well they were bound to have a rough few years after losing me,” Dalton replied.

Niskat just thwacked Ward on the back of the head. “Thou shalt not speak ill of the Bears.”

“UBTV is going to destroy the league again now that they’ve got sanctions out of their system,” Nelly said to her linemate, “and you’re going to just have to sit here and watch it happen.”

“You mean like Atalanta destroyed you guys last season?” Falene shot back.

“Oooh burn!” Alana called out while Sutton gave Falene a high five.

“I hate you,” Nelly said crossly.

“I sign your paycheck,” Falene replied.

“She’s got you there,” Dorvan said.

“She’s got us there,” Dalton said, “Speaking of getting us things, this pitcher is empty.” He turned it upside down to prove it, which had the effect of allowing the last remaining drops to slip into his glass. It wasn’t even enough to consider quaffing as it would dribble with tantalizing slowness towards one’s mouth. “Who’s up?”

“Could it possibly be you?” Nelly asked sweetly, batting her eyes.

“It most certainly is not. I bought the last one,” Dalton said adamantly.

“I’ll do it,” Falene said, standing, “even though my contract is smaller than all of yours.”

“Uh huh, yeah, and which of us is signing the paychecks again?” Sutton asked facetiously.

“Just for that I’m buying a pitcher of something you don’t like,” Falene said, “Come on May, Niskat. I’m going to need a few extra hands for these drunks.”

May obligingly stood and followed Falane to the bar. She was happy to go--she had her own order to put in while they were there.

The three wove their way through the other patrons that were crammed into the bar, living and dying with every play. Nime hadn't fielded a particularly strong limmie team and they certainly didn't approach the level of a power conference like the Bak10. This intense fandom was new to May. Then again, it was little surprise that Bakurans would be this passionate about their collegiate limmie. They certainly didn't pull punched with their pro team.

Falene flagged down one of the bartenders to put in an order of a few more pitchers for the Miner table. Before he got away, May leaned in and added, "Another whiskey too." This earned her an interested look from her cousin. "What’s with you and the whiskey? That taste at the Black and Blue Brawl stick with you?"

“Bakura isn't the only place that appreciates a good whiskey. Not much else going on out on the homestead sometimes,” May said, “and when you’ve got a Bakuran father…”

“Maybe we ought to call you that,” Niskat interjected.

“Call me what?”

“Whiskey.”

May cocked an eyebrow. “Seriously?” she asked incredulously.

“I think--oh come on!” Niskat suddenly protested. It seemed the UBSD game had taken a turn for the worse in her opinion. “You had that wide open! Bring it back to the middle...that’s it! That’s how you do it!”

“Should have been three though,” a voice said from behind her. It belonged to a young man wearing a UBSD shirt. “Center half back should have passed up to his right corner forward and reversed across the field.”

Niskat snorted derisively. “Yeah, no. The center half forward totally told have taken that shot. Risky play to go cross field like that on sustained possession with their defense set. You want to use that play when the defense is playing catch up and you need to get the goalkeeper out of position.” It was then that Niskat noticed that the commentator on question was wearing a Golden Bears shirt. “Hey, did you go to Salis D’aar?”

“Go bears,” he said by way of confirmation.

“That's what I'm talking about!” she said, giving him a high five.

“What year did you graduate?” he asked.

“273,” she said.

“No way, I was class of 274. Good years.”

“I’ll say,” Niskat confirmed. After all, she’d been the good years.

“Evander,” he said, introducing himself and extending his hand.

“This is Kat,” May jumped in. She got the distinct feeling that it would be a good idea for Niskat to not use her full name at the moment. After all, if she did she’d become “Niskat Deenever,” the professional limmie player who existed in some untouchable realm for which mere mortal men could not even hope to strive

“Yeah. Hi. Kat,” Niskat said, a little stiltedly, shaking his hand stiffly.

“She wants to buy you a beer,” Falene said helpfully.

“Shouldn’t I do that for her?” Evander asked.

“Or we could go with the free beer idea,” Niskat agreed.

“We’ll just take this beer elsewhere then…” May suggested as she and Falene took the pitchers (and May’s glass of whiskey) back to the table where they’d come from, leaving Niskat to fend for herself.

When the Trieste ladies got back to their compatriots, the Miners were absolutely silent and focused. May looked around at the vidscreens to see what it was that they had locked on to, but all of the games seemed to be no more exciting than usual.

“What’s--”

“SHHHHHHHH!” Alana chastised.

“But--”

“SHHHHHH!” Alana said and yanked May into a chair, “We’re observing the Golden Bear in foreign territory.”

“She’s speaking with a member of the opposite gender in the early stages of the intricate mating ritual,” Nelly said without looking away from where Deenever was at the bar.

“I just hope she remembered everything I’ve told her,” Falene said.

“What did you tell her?” Dorvan asked.

“The usual stuff. Smile, flip your hair, laugh at his jokes, touch him on the arm,” Falene said.

“You’re so funny!” Niskat said with a laugh suddenly in response to some unheard joke. She proceeded to playfully shove Evander’s arm. Unfortunately, “playfully” for Niskat was not exactly what he was expecting, as the force of the action toppled him from his barstool. Needless to say, the offender was extremely mortified. “Oh my Maker, I’m so sorry!” Niskat apologized, helping him up, “Are you okay?”

“Uh...yeah…” Evander said, rubbing the back of his head, “I’m fine. Totally fine.”

The Miners put their heads in their hands.

“Well...we know one area where she isn’t a player,” Ward said.

“Maybe we need to rescue her,” Falene said.

“Are you kidding? This is the more entertaining than anything on the Holonet,” Alana said, “and he’s still talking to her. No way we’re cutting this short. In fact, we need to pour those beers. This is just getting good.”

May thought that things were leaning a little too much towards schadenfreude, but as she watched Niskat (who had just flipped her hair in an attempt to regain her allure--only to smack the man behind her in the face with her golden locks) it looked like the forward was having fun being forward, even if she might not be succeeding at it. As long as Niskat was happy...well...it didn’t hurt to let things play out.

Accordingly, May sat there and sipped her whiskey and enjoyed the show.

TAG: Joss Whedon fans will appreciate the little nugget I threw out in the middle there

19. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Geoff Copin

Geoff woke the next morning with a splitting headache.
    “Good morning,” Laura said in a sarcastic tone. She was in the kitchen preparing breakfast. Geoff could see her back over the half wall that separated it and the living room.
    “Morning,” Geoff replied putting his feet on the ground, “Uh babe, could you tone it down a little?”
    “Oh, you want me to tone it down.” She raised her voice slightly on the last word. Laura turned to face her husband, the bottle of whiskey in her right hand. “Because of this,” Geoff wasn’t sure but, the bottle looked emptier than he remembered it being. “Are you trying to hurt me more?” She asked her voice cracking a bit. In the moment Geoff forgot, Laura’s dad had a problem with alcohol, nearly ripped her family apart.
    “Baby, I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking.”
    “You’re right you weren’t thinking not when you brought Leigh here, not last night and, not now.” He opened his mouth to retort but, a sharp pain in head caused him the pinch the bridge of his nose. “There’s ibuprofen in the ‘fresher.” Geoff walked slowly into the re-fresher and opened the bottle of pain reliever. He swallowed three tablets and made his way to the bedroom. He changed into street clothes and left. Both of them were too emotional right now to talk this out. Geoff got breakfast at a restaurant and headed to the stadium.

Goss-Pell Memorial Stadium, O’pahz, Carratos

In his office Geoff looked over stats and some game holo of the Storm, they were 3-1 but their offense wasn’t explosive and their defense wasn’t impressive. What they did have was consistency something the Pirates lacked. Geoff tried to work on a game plan but, his thoughts drifted to Leigh, was she all right, had she talked to Schnitt, where did she go last night? He wanted to call her but, the possible awkwardness and the sense of betraying Laura again stopped him. The coach outlined the practices for the coming week and some key points to work on for the game. He rubbed his eyes after staring at a holo-screen for a while and checked his chronometer, around noon local time. He left his office looking to head home but, in the lobby near the exit he ran into Leigh. She put up the hood of her black jacket and turned away. She was also not ready to talk.

“In the doghouse coach,” Bara said as Geoff neared.

“Working on getting out Bara,”

“You’d better, you’ve got a good thing going don’t screw it up.” Geoff nodded his head. He took a deep breath outside his door, organizing his thoughts. Inside his wife and daughters were watching a holo.

“Daddy,” his girls shouted. They ran over and gave him a hug.

“Hey girls, what are we watching?” He asked.

“Wicket the brave Ewok,” Iris said.

“That again, don’t you get tired of watching it?”

“No,” Ira answered “we just started you could join us.” Geoff glanced to his wife. She didn’t smile like he hoped she would.

“Girls,” Laura said standing up, “Why don’t you come sit down while mommy and daddy have a talk.” Iris and Ira looked a little confused

“It’s alright girls, mommy and daddy will be back soon.” Geoff said trying to ease the tension in the room. The four year olds walked slowly over to the sofa and sat down. Geoff followed Laura to the bedroom.

“We’ll be in here if you need anything.” Laura said to their daughters in the living room. They entered the room, Laura sat on the bed Geoff remained standing.

“I’m sorry,” He said bowing his head, “I hurt you, probably more than I can imagine. I knew what I was doing was wrong but, I did it anyway. There is no excuse for my actions and I will do whatever it takes to make it up to you.” He felt tears starting in his eyes.

“Did you have feelings for Leigh?” She asked looking at the ground. Geoff’s stomach turned, his mind flashed back to those moments, him and Leigh, alone. He couldn’t say that he was just trying to comfort her, nor could he say that his feelings in those moments were fatherly. Geoff knew that if he was honest it would hurt Laura even more but, he didn’t want to lie. “Geoff,” her quivering voice broke the silence. Geoff dropped to his knees in front of her and clasped her hands in his.

“Please forgive me,” he looked up her eyes widened, “In those moments before you entered I felt emotions that I promised I would only feel for you.” She pulled her hands out of his and turned her face away, a tear ran down her cheek.

“Geoff,” she said turning her eyes to him, “are you happy?”

“Laura, this isn’t your fault,”

“Are you happy?” she insisted.

“How could I not be, I have a beautiful, brilliant wife and, two precious daughters that are growing into strong women like their mother. I was just an idiot that forgot all that. This is my fault and mine alone. Please forgive me.” She lifted his head with her hand and looked him in the eyes, more tears running down her face.

“Promise me,” she started “Promise me you’ll never be alone with another woman.”

“I promise and I will do my best never to hurt you again.” She bent her head and he raised his, their foreheads met in the middle.

“Let’s go finish that stupid movie.” She said

“I’d like that.” He replied.

TAG: jcgoble3

20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Jedi Council issues statement condemning actions of Commissioner Lokensgaard in revealing escape of Rosty Bassell to public
    • Jedi Master Palla Quelkin, at press conference on Euceron prior to departing for Carratos: "The commissioner was specifically told that this information was to be revealed only on a need-to-know basis to avoid inducing panic, and he utterly ignored that request. Now there is a fear in the populace of Euceron that has not been seen since the days and weeks following the 275 shooting. This is exactly what we had hoped to prevent by keeping the news secret."
    • Euceron Police Bureau head announces that his office will explore whether it is possible to file criminal charges against Lokensgaard for the leak: "The leak may fall under the definition of classified information in the Euceron Criminal Code. If that is determined to be the case, felony charges could result."
    • EPB head says that his investigation will be followed if necessary by grand jury consideration before it is determined whether charges are warranted
    • An anonymous source within the EPB says that due to red tape, charges are "unlikely to be filed before the Galactic Cup Final, if they are filed at all"
    • Elite League responds: “Our statement was intended to express confidence in Euceron officials and the Jedi Order, not to create worry. There are currently no known threats against the All-Star Game or any Elite League match, including the Galactic Cup Final. Fans should attend the game with confidence. The Commissioner has no worries at all about games on Euceron, including the Final.”

What We Learned: Week 3...errrr 4
    So we wrote most of this last week and then our bosses said we had to move to a higher floor. That was a good thing, because they have an ice cream machine up there. But then we had to move and the interns suspiciously had “coursework” or something to do. And whenever something heavy needed to be carried, we couldn’t find Zigby anywhere. Figures.

Also, the Skywalker Conference has asked that we pretty much forget this last week ever happened. Everybody okay with that?

Agamar Packers – The interns were threatening to withhold our caf if we wrote mean things about the Packers, but then the Packers won. Hooray! Caf for everybody!

Bakura Miners – Think somebody mentioned Lizbit Comstock that all-star voting was about to open up? Yeah, we do too given that she turned in a shutdown and then a 7 point game against the Mercs.

Carratos Pirates – We’d like to say that after two hard games against Big Five teams, things only get better from here...but they have their third Big Five team in a row with Euceron on the docket, so things are going to have to get worse before they get better.

Coruscant Senators – At least during the postgame handshakes, the Senators could honestly tell the Packers and the Pirates, “We’ve been there. Sorry.” Also, anyone think that drafting Adama was maybe a really, really, really, really good idea? We do too.

Euceron Storm – We can’t talk about the Storm. Clearly talking about the Storm makes them not play well. So...uh...how about the weather?

Hapes Consortium Buccaneers – Even with three 3-1 teams ahead of them in the Solo, coming out of the conference at 2-2 is not a bad thing. We think that Merry and Adanna would live with 7-2 at the end of this season, no problem.

Kuat Triforce – We were going to say that Kuat only liked winning if they could play in an offensive shootout, but the Packers ended that hypothesis.

Mando’ade Mercs – As goes Johnny Limmie, so go the Mercs. So things aren’t really going at the moment.

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers – When the Smugglers do badly, it’s a good thing that life on the Vertical City is so utopian that there are plenty of other things that citizens can focus on and find happiness in. Especially these days thanks to Mayor Vehn!

Ralltiir Starkillers – Loren Jul remains one of the unsung heroes of the Elite League. Therefore, we wrote a song about her. “La la la la la/Loren Jul is awesome/la la la la la la laaaaaaaaaa/This is our Loren Jul song.” Intergalactic music award, please!

Rydonni Prime Monarchs – At this rate there’s going to be a statue of Ozzie outside the Grande Villa. And by “at this rate,” we mean tomorrow.

Ylesia Lightning – New idea for the Lightning: remove the full back and just put Kasin and Korlo in the net at the same time. It can’t be less effective than what they’re running now.

21. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Kaitlyn Vehn
    New Vertica, Nar Shaddaa

“You have a visitor,” her desk comm. chimed.

A knock on the door a few minutes later sounded and all the while Kaitlyn never took her eyes away from the still smoldering rubble of the Corellian Sector. She knew she had to put back what she had destroyed. People had homes and lives to return to and she’d called in the heavy guns to clean up the streets. The police could only do so much. Now, as she knew in her heart, she had to set right what had been so wrong.

“You were a little heavy handed,” a voice said behind her. “But I understand why you did what you did.”

Kaitlyn knew that voice. She hadn’t spoken to the woman in some time. They had once been friends. They had once shared laughs and better times. Now, well, they shared whatever they could afford in these politically charged times. Kaitlyn loved this woman. Loved her well. She was family.

She was Eleanor Vehn.

“Eleanor,” Kaitlyn said giving her niece a respectful nod.

“Kaitlyn,” Eleanor responded.

The two women had much to discuss.

IC: Victor Trubaan
    New Vertica, Cityview Park

“Daddy!” two kids squealed as they ran toward Victor’s oustretched arms.

He embraced them in a tight hug and kissed them on the head as he did so. He wanted nothing more than to be reunited with his family. To set everything right. To fix the mess he had created. He knew he could never take back what he did. He knew that what he had done with his life before was all the wrong things. He’d pursued money and the temptations of the Vertical City over what was most important in his life: his family. He’d had so many sleepless nights. So many agonizing hours replaying his poor choices over and over again in his head. Answers were few and far between. Why had he decided to go astray? Why had he decided to place his energies on the wrong priorities? What happened to that young man who’d loved his wife once and promised her everything? He didn’t know.

“Victor,” his wife, Trish, said as she stood a few feet away watching him cuddle their children.

“Hey,” Victor said as he slowly stood. His kids went off to play without him leaving the two of them alone, together for the first time since they’d separated.

The sounds of the city nearly drowned out anything that might’ve been exchanged between them in those few tense minutes. She was hurt. Victor could see that. He’d made some bad mistakes, some poor choices. There wouldn’t be any easy way out of this. Hell, he wasn’t even sure he could save his marriage. Maybe that was the point. Maybe their marriage was beyond saving. They found a bench nearby and sat down and watched their children play.

“You’ve strayed before haven’t you?” Victor’s wife asked.

Victor folded his hands together and looked down at the durracrete. He always knew his wife was sharp. He always knew that she never let anything by her without noticing. There was no running away. Time to be honest. Time to take some blows on the face. Time to step up to the plate and admit his wrongs.

“Yeah, Trish, I have,” Victor admitted.

“All those late nights at the office, were they—“

Victor nodded. “I don’t know what to tell you.”

“Start by telling me the truth,” Trish insisted.

And so he did. He told his wife everything. Everything. It was the most honest conversation he’d had with her in a long while. That felt good.That felt right. It was a step in the right direction, whatever that meant.

Trish didn’t cry. Victor could see this wasn’t really news for her. She was still processing a little bit. She was still weighing her options. She could leave. She had the means to do so. She didn’t need him around. He was dead weight. He was nearly dead to her. She looked away at another family in the park. For once in his life, Victor didn’t know what thoughts were going through his wife’s head. He felt so disappointed. Disappointed in himself, in the way his life had turned out, in how he had thrown it all away for a few reckless moments of fun. Maybe he would never be able to redeem himself in her eyes. All he could do was learn from his mistakes and make sure they never happened again. He knew he would always carry the regret of what he’d done in his mind, a heavy burden on his soul. Was there a way forward? He didn’t know.

“I’m sorry, Trish. I’m so sorry,” Victor admitted to the cold Nar Shaddaa air.

Trish didn’t respond. She sat there. Quiet, unmoving.

His attention returned to his kids. He loved them so much. No matter what happened he wanted to be in their lives. He wanted to try again. To be the father he wasn’t before. To be the man he couldn’t have been for them before. Now that his job was gone, now that the Corellian Sector was in ruins, well, maybe he could sit down and figure out a path that really suited him. A path that was in his highest and best good. A feeling of calm came over him that slowly washed away the pain and suffering he’d caused his family. He was okay if she left him. He was okay if she stayed. He would always love her. No matter what.

Victor felt the delicate fingers of his wife’s hand wrap around his own. He closed his eyes and savored that moment. When they touched it was electric. When they held hands a rush of a lifetime of memories came to him. Their first kiss, the first time they made love, her laughter, holding his first child in his arms, happy tears, vacations, slow weekend mornings with the smell of fresh caf in the air and a hearty breakfast. Maker, he loved her. He loved her so frakking much.

When he opened his eyes Trish was staring at him. Something had changed. The hurt was still there. That would take awhile to heal. She looked like she had something to say and for once Victor kept his mouth shut. He just listened. He just wanted to savor whatever this moment would be, good or bad.

“I have something to tell you,” Trish said.

“Okay,” Victor replied.

“I wasn’t always faithful to you either.”

Victor looked away for a moment. Blocked out feelings of jealousy, feelings of rejection, feelings of judgment. He couldn’t judge her. After what he’d done, he was no better. He hadn’t been a good man to her. He hadn’t been a good husband. He’d pushed her away. He’d pushed his kids away and they had all suffered. He couldn’t blame his wife for straying. They’d pushed one another into somebody elses’ arms. Her confession didn’t make what he’d done any better or different. Her confession had made her seem all the more real to him. All the more human. Just two people, struggling with life, loving one another, trying to find a way, any way, to pick up the pieces and move forward.

“Do you think—“ Victor started to say but his voice caught in his throat.

“We could begin again?” Trish finished.

Victor nodded. His lip trembled as he looked into that beautiful reservoir of energy that was his wife’s eyes, the window to her soul. “I’m so sorry, Trish. I’m so very sorry,” Victor said through tears.

Trish cried as well as she pulled Victor close to her and they embraced. “I’m sorry too.”

They held one another for what seemed to be an eternity.

“I love you,” they said in unison.

Victor closed his eyes and held his wife tight to him. Yes, he would do everything different now. He would do everything better. He made a promise that day that he would be a better father, a better husband, that everything was going to turn out all right. Nothing was going to get in his way. He felt his kids join him in a hug.

Victor was so thankful for the blessings in his life. He was so thankful for his wife, for his children, and in this moment everything was right.

It was time to rebuild his life.

It was time to begin again.

Tag: No One

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Big Board, v. 4
    Sarah "Terminator" Connor (Human, Female, Goaltender, Taanab A&M)

Game Line: 10 saves, 4 PA, W vs. VTI, 32-4
    Analysis: The Verp Tech team got destroyed by “The Terminator”. That’s a good thing for her draft stock. A very good thing.

Mark Meeks (Human, Male, Corner Back, Ord Sabaok University)
    Game Line: 3 turnovers, L @RU, 7-0
    Analysis: The team didn’t show up on offense, and that didn’t bode well for Meeks. Of course, give a lot of credit to the Scholars on defense, because they shut the Starbucks down completely.

Pashta (Gungan, Female, Corner Forward, Theed University)
    Game Line: 2 bar points, 2 shots on goal, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, W @LCS, 28-6
    Analysis: Didn’t do a whole lot, but didn’t have to in this nice offensive game. Can be quiet in big games.

Noah Till (Human, Male, Center Half Back, Ralltiir University)
    Game Line: 5 tackles, 1 interception, L vs. TBA, 26-20
    Analysis: So-so game from Till, which breaks his hot streak. However, he seems to be playing himself into a high draft stock, so we think this was just a “bad” day. And if by “bad” you still have a decent day, then you have a high ceiling.

Mikia Sandin (Human, Female, Left Half Back, Bilbringi University)
    Game Line: 2 tackles, 1 fumble recovery, W vs. CTC, 28-13
    Analysis: Was so dominant off the ball that she didn’t even need to rack up the stats. That’s what you want from your defensive players. Could be a force in the Elite League someday.

Gorgalan "Gor" Irukandji (Nikto, Male, Center Half Forward, Norand University (Carratos))
    Game Line: 3 goals, 9 points scored, 5 shots on goal, L @TBA, 40-11
    Analysis: Did everything he needed to on offense, scoring a hat trick in what otherwise was a dreadful game. Showed that he runs this team.

Niels Karuari (Ishi Tib, Male, Left Corner Forward, University of Denon)
    Game Line: 1 shot on goal, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, L vs. URC, 33-24
    Analysis: In an otherwise good game for the offense, didn’t have any impact. That’s not what you can afford when the rest of the offense is rolling, and doesn’t bode well for later prospects. Looking like a third-rounder right now at best.

Yeorg Niktel (Human, Male, Half Forward, Bakura Fleet Academy)
    Game Line: 3 shots on goal, 2 assists, L @PCNS, 15-6
    Analysis: Had some opportunities to score, and facilitated the offense a bit, but wasn’t nearly enough to help put away their opponents. Still has a lot of potential, just didn’t get it done this week.

Felda (Cathar, Female, Midfielder, UB Cape Suzette)
    Game Line: 2 tackles, 1 loose ball recovery, W vs. UBSD, 31-5
    Analysis: Didn’t have much to do out there as her side of the field was covered with ease. Her team dominated, so there’s a lot to be excited about in Cape Suzette right now.

Kal'cre'ltenk (Chiss, Male, Half Forward, Sarvchi Technological University)
    Game Line: 2 goals scored, 2 bar points, 8 points scored, 4 shots on goal, 2 turnovers, 1 assist, W @TBA, 33-26
    Analysis: Had a very nice game in the road win. Can be a force if given the ball on a regular basis.

Penkal (Aqualish, Male, Full Back, College of Fondordelphia)
    Game Line: 3 tackles, L vs. CorTech, 15-7
    Analysis: Just didn’t have it this week, and his team suffered as a result.

TAGS to CPL_Macja, Bardan_Jusik, Trieste (and we know Niskat won't be happy about this week's result ;) ), Vehn, Rebecca_Daniels, jcgoble3, galactic-vagabond422, Tim Battershell

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008

Three Weeks Earlier

As the close game against Ylesia went final, all of the Senator fanbase took a collective sigh of relief. The drought was over; the team had finally won a game. And there was Christine Gamble, the team captain who had borne the brunt of abuse from the media and the fans, on her knees with her eyes closed and her hands stretched towards the heavens screaming her head off in triumph. That was her win, that was the team’s win, and that was a win for the fans. They had waited a long time for victory to come knocking, and now they finally could experience what it felt like to be winners again.

Lots of speculation swirled about if this team was for real. Most speculated that two games, tight ones at that, weren’t a good indication of how good this team was. After all, they said, Euceron and Ylesia had missed the playoffs the past season, so it didn’t mean a hell of a lot. But the optimists and the diehards knew that this was a win they could savor. Because it meant a lot to them.

Two Weeks Earlier

The beatdown on Agamar was wrapping up, and the Senators had torn the Packers, a playoff team in 277, apart. The offense was running on all cylinders, and the defense had finally found a rhythm. It was music to the ears not just for the Senator defenders, who had seen a string of unfathomable awfulness, but for the fans. They wanted to believe that this was really happening, that they weren’t just dreaming and would wake up to see the cold hard reality of an 0-4 Senators team.

The fans who had gone to Senator Stadium went home happy that day, having seen their team win for once at home. It had been six games since the last home win, so the price of admission was definitely worth it. They told their friends, who told other friends, and maybe even strangers. Something was going on that they didn’t want to miss.

Dex’s Diner

Leia Adama punched the ball into the back of the net for her second goal of the day, and the denizens of Dex’s went wild. The rookie punched at the air with some mock boxing moves before being swarmed by her teammates. That was the kind of offense they wanted to see.

“See that? That’s like the good old days!” one patron shouted over the din to the person sitting next to him. “Offense flowing, defense good, and we look great!”

“I knew they could do it,” Dex commented as he went into the back to grab some more grub for the hungry diners. Senators gameday was always a big event at Dex’s, and with the team on a two-game winning streak coming into this match against Carratos, it seemed like they had something going.

“Think it’ll last?” one patron asked a friend after the ball was kicked back into play by the Pirates. “You know, the offense . . . the winning . . .”

“I don’t know,” the friend said. “But what I do know is that they have a chance.”

A chance they really needed.

As soon as the game against Carratos got out of hand in favor of the road team, the Senator faithful realized that something was brewing with their team. They had offense, they finally had defense, the midfield looked good, and goalkeeping was a big step up from last year. Zeke Barbosa had finally figured things out, and over the past two games had shut down his opponents.

The local media started to pick up on it, and stories began to reappear in the news about the team. Talk shows that last season had completely ignored the Senators were now flush with stories about them. It was a total revitalization of what had been a corpse just one year earlier, a team going nowhere. Now they had something going for them. It was still early, but they had something going right for once.

When an individual walked down the sidewalk to grab a bite to eat or to shop, they started to see more black and orange than had been seen in a long time. Complete strangers would gesture to each other to compliment the others’ attire, usually featuring some sort of team merchandise. Children of school age began to dust off their old Polis Vayne and Dirxx Horstse jerseys and wore them to school. Flight attendants based out of the galactic capital started to put the Senator season pins back on their uniforms, and the pilots could occasionally be overheard in the cockpit when giving flight instructions to the passengers with an ending tagline of “Go Senators”. Construction crews all over the planet started to bring out their hard hats with the Senators logo plastered on the front, the crested man it featured giving a very serious look at the surrounding environment. Magazines were popping up with the faces of the team on their covers, with positive titles instead of negative ones.

On the practice field, the team worked its ass off. While things didn’t quite go smoothly all the time, as bruises were a common occurrence with the energetic practices Peet Carelle enjoyed dishing out, the players were buying in. They had ripped off three straight wins, and were ready to go into conference play. They had confidence they hadn’t experienced in a long time. The veterans and the rookies alike were all working hard, no one taking a rep off. The conditioning work they had done in the offseason was paying off thus far, as they were taking other teams the distance and tiring out their starters while using fresher legs off the bench to fill in the gaps.

The Senators had life.

IC: Christine Gamble
    Senator Stadium

Christine took a deep breath before shimmying into her jersey. Team management had decided to go against the grain and wear the black and orange uniforms instead of the planned orange alternates. If the uniform had won them a game, even though it seemed silly, they were going to go with it. In a superstition-riddled game like Limmie, changing even one thing up could invite chaos. The team was in sync, and they didn’t want to jinx anything.

“Ready to go to war?” Ava asked from her nearby locker stall.

“I was born ready,” Christine said back.

The team finally huddled up around Coach Carelle. The man ruffled his graying hair and then put his hat back on. “We’ve done a great job in getting to where we are now,” he said. “Everyone in this room should be proud of themselves. Give yourselves a round of applause.”

The room was quiet for a few moments, but finally the claps came. They were short-lived when Carelle raised his hand. “However, we still have half the season to go. And this is where things get tricky. Hapes was in the playoffs last year, and very easily could have gone to the Cup Final. If the Miners hadn’t been so damn good last year, they probably would have and fared well. They know that if they can come in here and beat us, that they have a great team. Well, we have a pretty good ballclub here. We’ve shown that over the last three weeks. Now we have a gauntlet of death to face. This is the easy part of our schedule, really. We have road trips to Ralltiir, Bakura, and Rydonni Prime coming up. All are top-five in the rankings, or at least should be if they aren’t. I haven’t checked the last few editions, to be honest.

But this is our chance to get a win and go into the break hungry for more. I know that we’re going to have a tough slog today; Xander, Zeke, and Jenna won’t be with us today. So we need to rely on Mr. Tarpals here,” he said, motioning to the Gungan goalie, “today if we want to win. So defense, I need you all to step up and keep him upright, got that? Ms. Leed leaves a huge gap at right half, so we have to fill that in well. I need the half back rotation to be rock solid today. Midfielders, Xander won’t be there for experience, but Ms. Renhorn does bring some to the table,” he said. Gayla nodded; she indeed had experience at this level. It hadn’t always been pretty, but the “Wild Thing” was ready for her second chance at the League.

“Offense, the C-Bucs have a good defensive unit that begins and ends with Camille Montes. If you get to her early, then we can win this game. Bouvier and Havelock are going to be the big opponents here, so we have to beat them at full forward and at the half, depending on where she decides to line up. If we pass well and make good decisions, then we have a good chance of winning. Got that?”

A chorus of affirmations greeted him.

“Let’s go kick some ass,” Carelle said before leading his team out of the locker room.

When the Senators hit the field, it was complete pandemonium in the stands with the strains of the old Senator anthem, 'Back in Black', blared over the loudspeakers. Christine stood there, dumbfounded. All the seats in the stadium were filled, all the way to the top. The ‘Black Hole’ and ‘Orange Crush’ sections were filled to capacity with the usual suspects, the orange-wearing fans covered in the color, and the ‘Hole’ fans dressing up in their craziest black costumes and yelling their heads off. She hadn’t seen the stadium like this in a long time, and for a moment it felt odd. Why were all these people here? And then she remembered why they were here. They were here because the team had decided to show up, because they had talent and could make it a ball game. Fans wanted to know that their team had a chance to win every game, and right now the Senators had that going for them.

“Kinda loud, isn’t it?” Ava commented.

“Just the way we want it,” Christine said back. “We finally have the crowd on our side. We should use it to the best of our advantage.”

Then the team huddled up, and she began to speak. “You see all those fans? They’re here to see us win today, to go to 4-1, to go into the break in prime position to contend for a playoff spot. They’ve come because we’ve given them a reason to hope again. So we need to show them a ball game today. We have to prove it to the C-Bucs that just because they went to the playoffs last year and walked all over us that this is a new season. We’re a different team. And we can defeat them. This is our field, our stadium, our house, and we’re going to defend it until the last second goes off that clock. Got that? Like coach said, let’s kick some ass.”

Finally the team broke the huddle and the starters went onto the field. Christine went to her spot against one of the Masterson twins. There was a likely possibility that she would shift onto other C-Buc forwards in this game, so she was ready to break off from Masterson when the time came. Kara Milovy on the other corner was facing her former team for the first time since the trade that had brought her to Coruscant in the offseason. It was going to be interesting to see how they would fare against a 277 playoff team, having beaten on in Agamar two weeks earlier. Conference play started here, and Christine knew a win would be nice to kick things off.

TAG: Vehn and myself

24. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Setarcos Rhemes
    GM’s Office, Monarchs Stadium
    Days before ELL & LFL Week 3

It was weeks like this that made Setarcos feel like he was a father neglecting one of his children. Of course he knew exactly how that felt. This week it was even harder, considering both of his teams were teetering on the edge with 1-1 records. The GM tried to split time between the Monarchs and Red Wings. It worked perfectly when both teams were on opposite home and away schedules. But there were times in which the scheduling gods don’t allow for the stars to align.

This week was one of those weeks.

The Monarchs were hosting the Mercs in the Duel for the Cross Pistol Trophy and the Red Wings were at home against the Garqi Gunners. Add to it the fact that Rydonni would be celebrating Memorial Day, he had requests from several of the newly formed local Limmie Sevens squads to make appearances, and he was invited to the Border War between RepU and GVSU.

As he sat with his chaotic schedule lay out before him, Assistant GM, Hris Helios came storming into his office. “Is this a joke?” Hris questioned with a slight growl in his voice, “What are you thinking?”

“What?”

“What are you thinking?” Hris repeated.

“Hey,” Setarcos answered turning away from his Assistant, “I’m thinking I’m busy. And you’re angry about something. Do you have the sniffles? I don’t wanna get sick.” Setarcos got up and started walking to the other side of his office. Along the way he was looking at holo-images of new stadium additions and renovations that encompassed the main sitting area.

“Did you just donate our entire state of the art strength and conditioning equipment from the Red Wings training camp to the...” Hris followed after him.

“Labors’ League of Kessel.”

“…Labors’ League of Kessel?”

“Yes.” He scooped up one of the designs he didn’t like and tossed it into a holographic rubbish bin, “It’s a worthwhile organization.” He turned and was confronted by a group of layouts for a newly redesigned refresher. “I didn’t physically check the crates but, basically, yes.” He started batting designs away. “And it’s not ‘our’ equipment, it’s my equipment. No offense. It was my credits that paid for them.”

“No, you know what?” Hris responded while dodging various restroom designs, “I think I’m actually entitled to say ‘our’ equipment considering the time that I put in, over two years, pushing it through league committees to get it approved for our use.”

Setarcos finally turned and looked at the Assistant General Manager, “It was a tax write-off. I needed that.”

“You know, there’s only about 8,011 things that we really need to talk about. The stadium expansion project on Byblos is a gigantic waste of time.” Hris was holding a datapad that he tried to hand to Setarcos.

“I need for you to wear a sterile rebreather until you’re feeling better.” He said completely ignoring the pad, “Is that okay?”

“That’s rude.” A small cough escaped Hris’ throat.

“There’s nothing more important to me than the stadium expansion.” Setarcos continued while moving towards his office door, “It’s my primary point of concern. I don’t know why you’re…”

“The expansion is your ego gone crazy.”

“Wow,” Setarcos paused by an architect’s rendering of a thirty story Adrimar Area. The rendered design would be the equivalent of stacking ten of the current area on top of itself. “Look at that. That’s state of the art.”

“You have got to be kidding me.”

“This is vital.”

Hris was dumbfounded, “The Red Wings are in complete disarray. You understand that?”

“No.” Setarcos fired back moving back towards his desk, “Our ticket sales have never been higher. You are…”

“Yes, from a managerial standpoint.”

“Well, if it’s messy, then let’s double back.”

“Let me give you an example.”

“Let’s move on to another subject.”

“No, no, no, no. I’m not going to let you pull that trick.”

“It’s not a trick it’s misdirection.” Setarcos was basically ignoring anything that Hris had to say at this point.

Hris pressed on, “My point is, we have already been turned down by the Byblos budgeting committee.”

“Yeah,” He turned to look at Hris while holding his abdomen, “Don’t say ‘budgeting’. I’m already feeling bloated.”

“And by the Byblos City downtown development committee, which was your idea, by the way. Those people have VIP suites…”

“Everything was my idea.”

“…and you won’t make a decision.”

“I don’t care about lower leagues anymore.” That caused Hris to pause, “It’s boring. Boring. I’m giving you a boring alert. You do it.”

Hris gave Setarcos a confused look, “I do what?”

Setarcos looked off into space as the solution finally dawned on him, “Excellent idea. I just figured this out.” The answer to what had been bothering him for the past four seasons was staring him right in the face. “You run the team.”

“Yeah, I’m trying to run the team.” Hris wasn’t getting Setarcos’ meaning.

“Hris, I need you to run the team,” Hris was busy trying to answer him but still wasn’t hearing him, “Well, stop trying to do it and do it.”

“You won’t give me the information I need…”

“I’m not asking you to try…”

“…in order to…”

“I’m asking you to physically do it. I need you to do it.” Setarcos’ voice started to grow louder as he tried to get through to Helios.

“I’m trying to do to.”

“Hris, you’re not listening to me!”

“No, you aren’t listening to me.”

“I’m trying to make you GM.” That got through to Hris, who just gave him a blank stare, “Why won’t you let me?”

Helios leaned in and sniffed the GM’s breath. “Have you been drinking?”

“Dihydrogen monoxide.” Setarcos put his hands on Hris’ shoulders, “I hereby irrevocably appoint you General Manager of the Byblos Red Wings, effective immediately.” Setarcos paused for a moment and then patted Hris on the shoulders, “Yeah, done deal. Okay?” Hris continued to stand in stunned silence as Setarcos walked over to his drink tray. “I’ve actually given this a fair amount of thought, believe it or not. Doing a bit of headhunting, so to speak, trying to figure out who a worthy successor would be. And then I realized it’s you. It’s always been you.” He poured two glasses of Corellian Ale. “I thought there’d be a legal issue, but actually I’m capable of appointing GMs to the lower tier teams in our organization. And for the Red Wings that would be you.” He walked over and handed one of the glasses to Hris, who was now sitting in one of the seats in front of the GMs desk. “Congratulations?”

“I don’t know what to say?”

“Really?”

“I mean… yes. Yes I’ll do it.”

That solved that headache for Setarcos, now onto the next one…

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

IC: Romo Crowley
    Monarchs Stadium, Ryell, Rydonni Prime
    278 ELL week 3, Monarchs vs. Mercs, 13-4

The Memorial Day festivities were spectacular, as usual, but more-so when you add the beskar’gam clad Mando’ad into the mix. There are usually sparse pockets of power-suited soldiers at matches, more during the Memorial Day match. But today, seventy-five percent of the spectators in attendance were in some type of armor.

It was terrifyingly beautiful.

The armor clad spectators weren’t the only things about the match he found this way. The Monarchs continued lack of offense was more than enough to haunt his dreams for the rest of the week. Luckily their defense maintained its nearly perfect display of keeping the bolo out of the goal. Ozzie nearly had his fourth career shutdown and second of the season. All it took was one minor mental lapse in the late minutes of the second half to put an end to that.

Looking up at the scoreboard Romo felt the victory was hollow. Yes the Monarchs retained the Cross Pistol Trophy and their defense proved that their week one performance was more than a flash in the pan. But their offensive struggles still baffled him.

He decided, before the match, to put Eli Rooth on the bench, move Rew Ileo over to corner, and position Maggie Adams in the traditional Center Half Forward position. He figured that having a standard offensive setup with a majority of the players with years of experience would help jump start their production. Unfortunately his assessment wasn’t entirely accurate.

Maggie and the other veterans gelled liked they had never stopped playing together. The two rookies on either side of her was another story. Every time Ivaan or Jaymes seemed to get their hands on the bolo they were bumbling it almost away. It was Maggie’s quick reactions that saved the fumbles from falling into Mando’ade hands. Fortunate for the Mercs the Monarchs were having trouble putting points on the board.

After the final whistle blew, Romo crossed the field to shake Lu Braun’s hand and then immediately headed back to his office to collect his thoughts. More often then not he barely had enough time to catch his breath before having to rush to the post-match press conference. But today, being a rivalry matchup with a brief trophy presentation, he had a few more minutes to look over some raw numbers from the game.

He glanced up at the vidscreen and found Maggie Adams being interviewed by HSN. Turning the volume up he was curious to hear what his latest acquisition had to say.

“This match means something different to everyone on the team, but to me it’s the biggest match of the year. I’ve had the unique opportunity to experience victory and defeat with both squads. But this one was the best so far. To return to the squad that brought me to the Elite League and help secure a rivalry win at home is absolutely priceless.”

Nothing wrong there, diplomatic and safe. He immediately thought that Erica O’Shane was leading the interview, but was proven wrong when he spotted her talking to Vesper Lynd in the dressing room. Then the reporter asked what Maggie thought was the problem with the Monarchs’ offense.

“Oh no. O’SHANE! GET IN HERE!”

Just as the former investigative reporter strolled in with Vesper and the coaching staff in tow, Maggie offered up her answer.

“Well, I don’t want to lay blame on anyone, but what do you expect when your head coach is a defensive specialist.”

If she had just left it at that Romo would have been ok, but then she just kept talking.

“He doesn’t know how to create a cohesive scoring unit. I mean we have a new offensive scheme like ever two minutes”

“Frak me!”

Romo wasn’t sure who behind him said it, but they practically took the words right out of his mouth. “O’Shane? What are you doing just standing there? Go put a stop to this and Vidda corral your player!” The duo bolted out of the office as he started to fume. But then he received yet another shock.

“You know Coach, she’s got a point.” Romo slowly turned and discovered that only the team Captain was standing with him, “It’s time for us to come together as a unit, and I need to be the leader you expect me to be.”

That brought a grin to his face, “Your right and it’s time for me to bring someone in to give us a lesson.”

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

IC: Setarcos Rhemes
    278 ELL week 4, Monarchs at Smugglers 31-3

If there was one thing that the GM loved, it was history. And it was his mission to give the new school Monarchs a healthy dose of it as they journeyed to Nar Shaddaa. Throughout the corridors a stoic voice could be heard just reading off a series of numbers.

269, 1 to 13; 270, 15 to 24 and 11 to 18; 272, 22 to 38; 273, 22 to 33; 275, 3 to 10; 276, 17 to 40 and 4 to 11

The series of number played on a continuous loop during the entire trip. And anyone who’s a fan of either the Monarchs or the Smugglers would recognize them as the scores of the eight losses that the Monarchs had suffered at the hands of the Smugglers. Eight of the last ten meetings ended in a loss with two of them coming in the finals.

Setarcos reminded everyone he saw that not only did the Smugglers beat them twice in 270, but they did it in consecutive weeks. However, he didn’t have to tell anyone what their last loss to Smugglers cost them. The bitter taste of losing the Galactic Cup just a few short seasons ago lingered in all of their mouths.

But that taste turned to sweet honey as the final seconds ticked off the clock over Six Boroughs Stadium. His work with the offense, teaching them how to flow fluidly from the traditional 3-3 formation to the contemporary 4-2 formation, was spearheaded with him taking Adams under his wing. He ensured that she was bombarded with nothing but the mantra of “The Team, The Team, The Team!”

And all of the messages stuck as the Monarchs gave the team that has been their bane since coming to the League, their second biggest in history. 28 points and Ozzie’s fourth career shutdown and the seventeenth in team history. Maggie and Vesper played like women possessed. Both score, almost at will, against the Smugglers defense. They combined for 24 of the Monarchs points, each scoring four goals apiece. The entire team was running around the field celebrating their momentous victory.

He just hoped that the team’s excitement would carry over into conference play. They had three straight home matches, which if they won, they would cement themselves in a playoff spot. The hard part was doing it against the Ralltiir Starkillers next week.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik (Week 3 stuff), Vehn (Week 4 stuff), Runjedirun (Week 5 mention), and jcgoble3 (LFL stuff)

Bardan_Jusik, Trieste, Vehn and 2 others like this.
  25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Elite League announces All-Star Game team
    Co-Coach: John Huntington (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    Co-Coach: Gaeriel Valerii (Bakura Miners)
    Starters
    Goalkeeper: Chenkabukk (Euceron Storm)
    Corner Back: Christine Gamble (Coruscant Senators)
    Corner Back: Liddy Powe (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    Corner Back: Ty Allin (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    Half Back: Zelena Wiles (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    Half Back: Falene Trieste (Bakura Miners)
    Half Back: Rhodri Gwy’nedd (Carratos Pirates)
    Midfielder: Argo Mor’kesh (Mando’ade Mercs)
    Midfielder: Alana Glencross (Bakura Miners)
    Half Forward: Mylessa McCloud (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    Half Forward: Jeem Daryc (Mando’ade Mercs)
    Half Forward: Zoa Vra (Ylesia Lightning)
    Corner Forward: Leia Adama (Coruscant Senators)
    Corner Forward: Loren Jul (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    Corner Forward: Shady Lereoux (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)

Reserves
    Goalkeeper: Kaat Stun (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    Corner Back: Ike Tullo (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    Corner Back: Nael Baelidy (Euceron Storm)
    Half Back: Manta S’eo (Mando’ade Mercs)
    Half Back: Lisbeth Tobin (Ylesia Lightning)
    Midfielder: Erin Windreaver (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)
    Half Forward: Niskat Deenever (Bakura Miners)
    Half Forward: Wai Lin (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    Half Forward: Miles Abrams (Agamar Packers)
    Corner Forward: Vesper Lynd (Rydonni Prime)
    Corner Forward: Delphin Tiopfea (Kuat Triforce)
    • Facts abouts votes also released by League:
      • Nar Shaddaa leads roster with one coach, three starters, and two reserves
      • Valerii and Huntington tied in votes and given co-coach titles
      • Senators Gamble and Adama tied for most votes of any nominee, underscoring comeback year for Coruscant
      • Christine Gamble named ASG captain, Zelena Wiles and Liddy Powe alternate captains
      • Chenkabukk and Stun tied for votes; Chenkabukk won coin flip to start
      • Glencross and Windreaver tied for votes; Glencross to start based on coin flip
      • Daryc, Deenever, Lin, and Vra all tied for votes; Daryc and Vra named starters based on coin flips
      • Early Ingbrand voting appears to be between Rhodri Gwy’nedd, Leia Adama, and Zelena Wiles

Does this week feel different to you, players in the United States? Anything a little different about this Sunday? Oh that's right, it's conference play time! What else did you think I could be talking about? ;)

Bonus rolls to Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Euceron, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime.

Week 5 Results

Ralltiir Starkillers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (2-39)
    Kuat Triforce at Bakura Miners (15-12)
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Coruscant Senators (12-24)
    Mando’ade Mercs at Agamar Packers (6-17)
    Euceron Storm at Carratos Pirates (40-2)
    Ylesia Lightning at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (27-29)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.