main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Mando'ade
    Galactic Cup Final, Peace City Gardens, Peace City, Ylesia
    Mercs-31, Monarchs-24 as the clock winds down...

Across the Galaxy the seconds counted down on the clock, and Mandalorians everywhere counted down with it.

10-- The Mandalorians in the crowd stood as one, counting the seconds, for the end was no longer on doubt. They chanted, they cheered, they beat their armor chest plates with armored fists. This was the moment they had all been waiting for.

9-- A band of mercenaries on some far flung world. Hired to fight a war they neither cared about nor understood, but they needed the work. They had lost a brother the night before to enemy action, and now they were huddled around their camp fire, listening to the scratchy play by play come through over the wireless.

8-- The oyu'baat, filled to capacity and beyond. The stew and brew never stopped flowing throughout the game, except now as no one could eat or drink. The season was coming to an end here, and it was almost theirs.

7-- A Mandalorian clan, sitting in their karyai watching the festivities unfold on the holo. They counted down along with crowd and hugged and punched one another in celebration.

6-- A young teenage boy, who should have been studying for his history exam the next day, clapped and screamed along with the rest of his friends. They weren't as invested in the team as he was. But the Mercs had been his favorite team as a kid. They were watching for the event itself, but for Jacen it was a night he would never forget.

5-- A father held his newborn daughter for the first time. He looked into her eyes and carressed her forehead with his armored glove before bending down to kiss his wife. They had turned the Holo off a few minutes ago. For now their new family was all that mattered to them, they would find out how the game ended tomorrow.

4-- The General Manager, not long removed form doing his part to defeat this very team for his first Galactic Cup. He had left his Miner's championship ring back on Manda'yaim for this trip, in anticipation of winning one for his own people.

3-- A coach, a former player who had never tasted this moment, fell to her knees. She had been through so much over the years, and to do this in her first year as a head coach, to silence the doubters and the critics was her greatest reward. She had never doubted herself, and now no one else could either. She looked up and saw her father standing there, a smile on his normally stern face. He had once GMed this team, and he couldn't have been more proud of the daughter who had surpassed him in every way.

2-- The Mand'alor, his red and gold beskar'gam an ostentatious reminder of who had brought this team into existence, and whose fingerprints still lingered on it.

1-- An old man, his armor long since gifted away to others in his clan, held on to life just long enough to hear...

0:00-- OYA!!!!!

These and millions of others were the Mando'ade, the sons and daughters of Mandalore, and it was they that celebrated this first ever Galactic Cup Championship, whether separated by light years or holding each other in their arms, they were together in this moment. Seen as arrogant, deadly, sometimes psychotic, these 4.5 million beings spread across the surface of Mandalore, and countless others scattered throughout the galaxy all rose with one voice in celebration of their team.

"Oya!"

Time had not been kind to the Mandalorians, they had once been the bane of the Republic. The thing of legend and nightmare, they had been forced into a pacifism by that Republic and had never truly recovered. Their warrior spirit was reborn in them now, but deep down, despite the arrogance, they knew that their time on the Galactic stage was passed. Now was the time of the aruetiise, the time of the Republic, and though the Mandalorians would never again arise as a threat to civilization, they would be heard this night.

They had fought each other, clan against clan, warrior against warrior for centuries. Now they were unified, no matter where they stood, no matter their politics or clan or economic status, they were one people, they were the Mando'ade, and they were finally Champions!

Silver and Blue confetti spilled down onto the field after the final horn had sounded. The score, 31-24, flashed across the scoreboard along with the words CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 279 GALACTIC CUP CHAMPION MANDO'ADE MERCS!!! The Cup, that glorious cup, was brought out to midfield where the team had gathered around their coach. The Commissioner, Fenrir Lokensgaard, was there as well.

All smiles, he seemed to be truly enjoying this, and why should he not? This Galactic Cup Finals had been an amazing back and forth affair, not decided until the final minutes. The HoloCameras focused on him and his visage filled Holo-screens across the Galaxy as well as the Jumbo-Holo at the Peace City Gardens.

"That was," he gave one of his characteristic pauses. "An amazing game. Well fought on both sides, Truly it saddens me to be able to crown only one champion for both are deserving."

He was met by cheers and clapping by the throngs of fans for both sides.

"I want to congratulate the Rydonni Prime Monarchs on a wonderful season and a Galactic Cup finals game for the ages. They showed throughout the season and here on this field that they are the class of the league."

The applause from each side grew even louder. The Mercs fans in attendance hadn't been comfortable that the win was theirs until those final seconds ticked off the clock. The Monarchs were to be commended for their hard fought effort.

"But we can sadly have but one champion. One team, owned by their fans," The crowd went their wildest yet. "Put together by a GM, Adenn Vizsla, who now has two rings on his fingers," he smiled wickedly at that. "And coached by a former player, in her first year on the sidelines, Ryi Kor'le. It gives me true pleasure to award this championship to all the Mando'ade and this Galactic Cup to team captain Argo Mor'kesh!"

The midfielder came forward to the cheers and adulation of the fans and his team mates as he gladly hefted the Cup over his head. It had been a long tough haul to get this far, and he wouldn't forget a moment of it.

"I also have this other shiny award to present, the Numifolis Award for the Most Valuable Player in the playoffs. Would Jeem Daryc please step forward, this one is yours!"

The gruff and somewhat menacing all star forward wasted no time in wresting the award away from the commissioner.

"Never before in the history of meshgeroya has an award gone to someone more deserving than myself." The Mandalorian crowd cheered at his arrogance, it was a part of why they loved him so much. That arrogance and the ability to back it up, now enshrined forever as a Galactic Cup Champion.

And that was just the beginning of the night's festivities. Across the Galaxy the celebration lasted long into the next morning and even the following week. The Mando'ade Mercs were Galactic Cup Champions, and the mando'ade themselves were going to enjoy every moment of it.

TAG: CPL_Macja, Trieste.

OOC: Hope I did the commissioner justice. I know I spelled his name right because I just copy and pasted it. :p . I'll get to a standard Rancor Pitt post either tomorrow or Monday.

[​IMG]

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Three weeks after Galactic Cup Final

“Good morning.”

Tendra turned to look at the chrono. It read 1247. She groaned. “Thank you for letting me sleep. You have no idea how much I needed that.”

“Let's just not make it a habit.”

“Yes, Mom.”

Tendra fumbled around in the conservator for a moment and came out with a bottle of blue milk, with which she poured a glass and sat down at the kitchen table.

“Big night tonight,” Jaria commented. “Got your decision made yet?”

Tendra let out a sound that was a cross between a laugh and a grunt. “Are you kidding? I haven't even eliminated anyone yet.”

“Well, the press conference is at 1900. So you've got about six hours to decide. I don't want you going into that press room without having made your decision.”

“Trust me, I won't. I promised every team that I would tell them my decision before I announced it. I'm sticking to those promises.”

“Well, then you better get to work.”

Tendra downed the last of the blue milk and headed out into the living room, where she planted herself on the couch. The season was over and Elite League training camp was several months away, so she could afford a day of laziness. Putting her datapad down beside her, she smoothed out a piece of flimsi on the table in front of her and wrote the following on it:

CORUSCANT — 2.5/4/guar. starter
    CARRATOS — 1.725/5/guar. reserve
    BAKURA — 1.8/4/poss. starter
    RALLTIIR — 2.2/5/?
    HAPES — 2.7/4/guar. starter

She then studied the five offers. Every team had something going against it. Coruscant was likely going to be stuck rebuilding for a while. Carratos was offering the least money, and the planet had a reputation for being run by criminals. Bakura was offering little more than Carratos. Ralltiir wanted a long-term contract that Tendra didn't want to commit to. And Hapes, well, after four years in the Consortium, Tendra wasn't a fan of their ways, particularly their gender discrimination.

Likewise, every team had something going for it. Coruscant was offering a lot of money, the right contract length, and a guaranteed starting spot. Carratos was hot, and she could probably negotiate the salary up. Ralltiir was offering the most money of the current contenders. Hapes has the highest salary offer of all five. And Bakura didn't really have a single positive that she could point to, but they had the fewest negatives, and that alone was a positive.

She had to start ranking them. After looking at them for about ten minutes and running various scenarios through her head, she wrote down her first set of rankings:

BAKURA
    CARRATOS
    HAPES
    RALLTIIR
    CORUSCANT

As she continued thinking, her datapad beside her buzzed with the special ringtone she had set for the Elite League teams who had made offers. She picked it up and looked at the message. Ralltiir had upped its offer to 3 million, but still with that blasted five-year contract. Even so, that gave them the highest offer, higher than Hapes.

Tendra picked up the flimsi and tore off the section where she had written the rankings, then tore it into five pieces, each with one team written on it. She laid them down and started rearranging things. Ralltiir moved up a couple of spots with their latest offer, and the changes continued from there. For the next three hours, she continued to examine the pros and cons of each offer and each team, switching two teams every now and then. At some point in those three hours, every team had the top spot at least once. Finally, she realized that one team had not risen higher than fourth in an hour. She picked up that slip, looked at the contract offer one more time, then wadded it up and fired a shot at the wastebasket across the room. She missed and had to pull herself off the couch to pick it up.

Now she was down to four. She typed out a brief message to the GM of that team informing them that she had decided not to sign with them, and sent it. More adjustments to the rankings followed, and by 1600 she was down to three, another GM having been notified that they had been eliminated. 1700 came and went and she was still at three, but a few minutes later she was sending another message out to tell a GM she wasn't signing. She smelled dinner cooking in the adjacent kitchen, and gladly put the decision aside for the moment. Her mother had cooked up an excellent meal as usual, one that she had missed a lot over the last four years. Thirty minutes later, with her stomach stuffed to the point of aching, she returned to the couch with a fresh mind, and now the decision was obvious.

She sent her fourth and final “not signing with you” message of the afternoon, then changed out of her pajamas into business casual attire and went to the holocomm. Her parents had never liked to use the holocomm for ordinary business, but the message she was about to deliver was nothing ordinary. She flipped the switch and waited for the answer.

A few seconds later, the room was bathed in a blue glow as the call was answered by an Elite League general manager. Tendra wasted no time (after all, holocomm calls could be obscenely expensive, even for a professional athlete) and got right to the point.

“Hello. This is Tendra Nalo. I want to sign with you.”

TO BE CONTINUED...

TAG: Jedi Gunny galactic-vagabond422 Trieste Runjedirun

Trieste, Vehn, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  3. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    OOC: Used this song earlier this season, but it's fitting again so I'll use it again.

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe, on a who cares what the weather is like here because it's still raining confetti on Ylesia. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and we're Galactic Cup Champions baby!!!!!!!!"

"Ummm K-Man's not there."

"What?"

He's not here?"

"What do you mean he's not?"

"Look for yourself."

"Well son of a ...."

"He was getting hammered at the oyu'baat last night."

"Yeah him and everyone else," Came the voice of Liz from the booth.

"It was a great time."

"Hell yeah it was!"

"Champions baby!" the pair of co-hosts screamed out in unison.

"OK, for those that don't know, the crew all watched the game together at the oyu'baat cafe,and oh what an atmosphere it was."

"Can't remember the last time I've had that much fun."

"Yeah well apparently Kitterich won't remember any of it either. "

"He uhhh he called in a few hours ago, something about too much tihaar and wanting to kill the sun...."

"Thanks Bob the Intern, next time get that to me before we air."

"Tihaar is strong stuff."

"Yeah it is, I stuck to ne'tra gal myself mostly, and that was bad enough."

"Y'all are lightweights."

"Hey we're not used to it like you are."

"All that partying at Ord Sabaok."

"The Ord Sabaok University you mean. Go Bucks."

"Oh not this again. Stop it both of you. Today is all about the Galactic Cup and the Mercs first ELL Championship!"

"Nothing else?"

"Nope."

"What about KMI?"

"Nope, though some knucklehead will probably call about them too."

"Or the draft, with the season over people will always call about the draft..."

"NO! Hell, they call about that during the season, but still no! Today is all about the Galactic Cup finals..."

"You got that Bob the intern? Don't let anyone through unless they want to talk about the Cup."

"...and oh what a finals they were."

"It was a fantastic game. I would have been glued to my seat if it hadn't been standing room only at the oyu'baat."

"I would have been standing up had it been my own living room, what an exciting game."

"The way it started man, the Monarchs came to play jumping out to that three point lead like that."

"Yeah I was having flashbacks to the 272 Cup finals. But Kor'le calmed them down and Daryc came through and tied the game not much later. Then the Monarchs went back ahead by two, then the Mercs came back and took the lead."

"Never a dull moment in that game."

"I loved the competition between these two teams, the way it went back and forth the entire first half. Just wow."

"At halftime I figured whoever had the last possession was going to win the game."

"It was a tie ballgame at halftime, at what 14?, and I thought the same thing."

"Yeah it was 14 and both teams were playing so well on both sides of the ball."

"The refs were letting them play out there too, not like last week against Carratos."

"Yeah they did, that hit that Mauntak layed out on..."

"Yeah and then the Monarchs creamed Daryc in response. That was awesome."

"I think that's what got him so fired up. He was a different player after that, and in a good way."

"Yeah he was pissed, you could see it on the Holo. When they came out after halftime he was a man on a mission."

"I think Mor'kesh tried to calm him down at first but Kor'le said to let it go and let him play mad."

"Well it worked. The Mercs came out firing in the second half and took that six point lead, but it didn't feel safe."

"And it wasn't, with as much as the first half was a back and forth battle with each team separated by just a possession throughout, the second half was a game of runs."

"Yeah it was. After that great stop against Arock..."

"That was a hell of a stop by their goalkeeper"

"The Monarchs turned things around and grabbed all the momentum."

"They did, they just carved us up there for several series, and we could get nothing going."

"That run gave them the lead and then we got back started by that turnover caused by Tullo."

"That took the wind right out of the Monarchs sails and we were back on the attack again."

"Even then the Monarchs would just not go away."

"They had their chance, they were driving on us again, and with us all tied up at 24 had the chance to go ahead and take control of the game."

"Yeah but Katan made that diving stop..."

"Save of the game right there. If the Monarchs had scored there, they would have won."

"Yeah, the Mercs responded to that effort by putting their boots on the throats of the Monarchs and not letting up."

"Yeah a boot named Jeem Daryc."

"He was a monster at the end of the game."

"He scored six of the team's last seven points and put away the victory for the team."

"Even then the Monarchs played their hearts out. I wasn't sure we were going to win until we got to the final minute."

"Even then it was dicey. When Langdon lost that turnover..."

"Yeah no kidding. Fortunately Mor'kesh got it back for us before it got passed midfield."

"Yeah when that happened and the keep away formation started up I knew we had it in the bag."

"The countdown at the oyu'baat was crazy!"

"I played my college home games at The Arsenal, and I can tell you how loud that was. but I have never heard anything as loud as the oyu'baat last night."

"It was crazy, I admit I got a little scared there."

"Yeah, I was worried too."

"Well fortunately there were no riots on Mandalore"

"Did you hear about Gargon?"

"Oh yeah, some knucklehead started a one man riot and burned down a quarter of the financial district."

"Listen everyone, flamethrowers and alcohol don't mix."

"Well they do... but...."

"I'm trying to send a good message here Randy."

"Right. Well, I can tell by looking at my board that the comm lines are filled up just waiting for us to take your calls, so we're going to take a short break and we'll be back here with you in a few minutes for our continued celebration of the Mercs first ever Galactic cup Champions. We'll be talking to the GM of the Mercs, Adenn Vizsla in the next hour, Head Coach Ryi Kor'le in the third segment and rumor has it that the Mand'alor will be with us in studio towards the end of the show so I know none of you will want to miss that! All that and more coming up on the fanadalorian!"

TAG: CPL_Macja

[​IMG]

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Galactic College Final

The timeout was called. KMi and Chandrila A&M had fought to a 25-all tie with fifteen seconds left in the game. This was for all the marbles, and the crowd was at a fever pitch. Unlike the last several Galactic Finals, this one would come down to a final play, or a quick stretch if this one went to OT. The Warriors had the ball, and in the huddle Ur’ban Me’yer got his troops ready.

“We will win this game if we press them hard enough. They are tired, and will soon break. All we need to do is push that last button. We win, and we will all be champions back home. For victory and glory! Oya!”

“Oya!” shouted his players, all of them drenched in the history of their people and their perceived superiority. Everyone in the galaxy knew it was misguided logic, but the KMI players didn’t care. This was their stage.

Ama’ri Koop’er, a senior corner forward, knew exactly what to do. He had burned his matchup all game, the lanky Ithorian able to keep up with him. So Hexton Cordell had gone to his bench and put in a wily human female who had put the clamp down on him in the second half. It was frustrating, because wherever he went, she was right there in his face. Perhaps if she was Mandalorian, he would find her attractive; that drive was there, as were the looks. But he wasn’t going to let that preoccupy his mind. He was a winner, and wanted to go out on top. That was the only way to go for his people.

The ball came in to the half forward, and Ama’ri went to his corner spot. The Rovers corner back followed him step-for-step, and finally he had enough. He dug his foot into the ground and pivoted, losing her in the process. Her foot got stuck in the divot he had created long enough for him to break free. The crowd was screaming at the top of its lungs, and there were ten seconds left.

The ball came in from the half forward, a lazy pass due to the pressure placed on by the Rovers. It was the only pass that could get to Ama’ri from there. He jumped into the air to receive the ball . . .

Intercepted!

The female corner back got the ball as it came through the air. Ama’ri, without thinking twice, reached in and grabbed a hold of the ball, anything he could. His fingers slipped off the ball, and he grabbed her waist instead. They fought for the ball, but finally he was able to get his footing and rip the ball away.

A quick look at the clock said four seconds left. Ama’ri didn’t even check his range before letting a vicious kick go. If this was good, then he would be a legend on Mandalore. If he missed, they couldn’t complain too badly, because he had been fighting the clock the whole time and was trying to make something out of a busted play coming out of the timeout.

The ball sailed towards the goal.

All the Rovers goalie could do was watch.

The ball sailed through the uprights with plenty of clearance.

The horn blared.

KMI was the champion.

Ama’ri knew that he had done the impossible, making a perfect bar point without taking the time necessary to find a good range and calculate his odds. He had been flying blind, and thus when he knew it was good, he knew he had won.

When the Mercs won the Galactic Cup days later, Mandalore had two reasons to celebrate.

25 Chandrila A&M University vs. Keldabe Military Institute 26 (at Bakura Gardens)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik, Trieste

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    First of two posts from me tonight.

279 Elite League All-Pro Team

Goalkeeper: Ware Vulf (Denon Demons)
    Defender: Ty Allin (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    Defender: Tuuvash Mauntak (Mando’ade Mercs)
    Defender: Ike Tullo (Mando’ade Mercs)
    Defender: Sugnok Umanh (Denon Demons)
    Defender: Eponette Ternardiel (Carratos Pirates)
    Defender: Horst Penn (Bakura Miners)
    Midfielder: Zarene Klick (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    Midfielder: Alana Glencross (Bakura Miners)
    Forward: Maggie Adams (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)
    Forward: Logan Manx (Carratos Pirates)
    Forward: Miles Abrams (Agamar Packers)
    Forward: Jeem Daryc (Mando’ade Mercs)
    Forward: Niskat Deenever (Bakura Miners)
    Forward: Andres Fortune (Ralltiir Starkillers)

TAGS to the players: Trieste, Bardan_Jusik, Runjedirun, CPL_Macja, Tim Battershell, galactic-vagabond422

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    280 Elite League Mock Draft, v. 10.0 (because, hell, why not?)

1. Coruscant Senators – Zuzu Nuun (Human, Female, Corner Forward, Ralltiir University)

Briar Thorne is in her first season as GM of the Senators, and they have needs everywhere. She would be smart to take the versatile Nuun with her first draft pick, as Nuun can pick up the slack from the corner and take pressure off star Full Forward Leia Adama. Only question about Nuun is the quality of the teams she played against in the Veragi League and if she’s up to the limelight in her rookie year.

2. Nar Shaddaa Smugglers - Sa 'Akhuun (Zabrak, Male, Forward, Vertical City University)

With Nuun off the board, the Smugglers could take the homegrown kid. That would be a popular move for ‘The Crew’, we can guarantee that. He could replace Mylessa McCloud’s spot in the lineup (even though we all know he can’t truly replace her). Oh, and the kid won the Helmsman. This deal is getting better all the time!

3. Ylesia Lightning - Mera Loralsgaard (Arhan, Female, Offensive Forward, Aquilaris University)

It’s obvious that the Lightning’s offense just isn’t cutting it, and their team is suffering. They can move to remedy that by taking Loralsgaard, who at the second-ranked offensive player in the Draft is flexible and can play multiple forward positions.

4. Bakura Miners - Mick Steele (Human, Male, Forward, Vertical City University)

The Miners need a Full Forward, and although none of the remaining forwards at this point play that position exclusively, Steele can come in and make a contribution immediately. He played on a very good VCU team this year, one that set school records for points scored. We think that Steele can take the pressure of being the focal point of the Miner offense, which also likes to score a lot of points. He’s well-suited for the role.

5. Ralltiir Starkillers - Cordell Beckman Jr. (Human, Male, Forward, Druckenwell Technical University)

We’re going to take our first reach pick here and give the Starkillers a forward who can replace Andres Fortune should he be traded come Draft time. Beckman is a freak athlete, known for making catches that are out of this galaxy, kinda like Sarah Connor of the Senators. Or maybe on a different plane. We think the Starkillers have a replacement for Fortune waiting in the wings, but it doesn’t hurt to have a backup plan.

6. Carratos Pirates - Syedna Moole (Mon Calamari, Male, Corner Back, University of Gacerian)

We’ve been raving about the Pirate half back line so much this past year that we forget that the rest of their defense is average. Taking Moole should ease the pressure on the half backs to perform, although we keep hearing the Christine Gamble-to-Carratos trade chatter on the HSN talk shows, and yeah . . . that would fix the hole at corner back in a hurry. If not, Moole is a fine substitute.

7. Rydonni Prime Monarchs – Hamm Leak (Zabrak, Male, Half Back, National University)

Before stiffening in the playoffs, the Monarch defense was average all season. We don’t know if that was Ozzie having an off year or the defense coming back down after two astronomical seasons. Whatever the cause, we think Leak could patch the leaky (ha, bad pun alert!) defense before that becomes an issue. Of course, we’re not too worried; the Monarchs have done well regardless, and there is no way we think they take a step back next year.

8. Mando’ade Mercs - Ed "Eddie" Munster (Shistavanen, Male, Half Back, Taanab A&M)

We think that the Mercs are going to be looking for defense this offseason, and Munster fits that bill quite perfectly. Has great size and instincts. Only worry here is the lack of playing time currently available in the Mercs organization. But when you’ve just won the Galactic Cup, that’s to be expected.

Second Round:

Coruscant Senators - Chira Moun (Togruta, Female, Midfielder, University of Shili)

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers - Bel Kruhn (Muun, Male, Full Back, Taanab A&M)

Ylesia Lightning - Callopie Farlan (Zeltron, Female, Corner Forward, Coruscant Polytechnic Institute)

Bakura Miners - Alec Kazoo (Fondorian, Male, Corner Back, University of Evenvale)

Ralltiir Starkillers - Tanyo Oragam (Biituian, Female, Half Back, University of Zeltros, Paradise)

Carratos Pirates - Corunno Non (Nautolan, Male, Corner Back, Chofin Polytechnic Institute (Carratos)

Rydonni Prime Monarchs - Harper Rice (Human, Male, Corner Forward, UB Salis D'aar)

Mando’ade Mercs - Scott "Brick Wall" Sterling, (Human, Male, Goalkeeper, University of New Cov) (yes, you saw that right. We have a hunch)

Third Round

Coruscant Senators - Chestnut Reeser (Selonian, Female, Half Back, Ralltiir University)

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers -Gasnar (Barabel, Male, Corner Back, University of Dantooine)

Ylesia Lightning - Vallitt Comron (Umbaran, Male, Corner Back, University of Corellia, Bella Vistal)

Bakura Miners - Maddy Swann (Hapan, Female, Midfielder, Royal College of Hapes)

Ralltiir Starkillers - Komodo Lacroix (Human, Male, Defensive Back, University of Evenvale)

Carratos Pirates - Carrie Remington (Human, Female, Half Forward, University of Onderon)

Rydonni Prime Monarchs – Off the board, as per usual

Mando’ade Mercs - Arcus Ariota (Trandoshan, Male, Full Forward, UB Telaan Valley)

TAGS: CPL_Macja, Runjedirun, jcgoble3, galactic-vagabond422, Trieste, Bardan_Jusik, Rebecca_Daniels

7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Madelyne Till

I never thought I could be so content with a family of four. Even on nights like tonight when Trey was off-world to conduct a face to face interview with one of our top candidates in the upcoming draft I was kept busy making team decisions at home. It was about an hour past dinner. I was sprawled out on my bed with my data pad propped up on a pillow, my head perched on my elbow and I was browsing through a holo page of comments left by fans last season.

Most comments left at the end of last season had been harsh. Several of them called for Trey to be fired. Three play-off appearances in four seasons. It didn’t sound like such a bad record to me. But Trey was family. I was going to take the criticism that came with my decision to marry him. He would stay on this season as head coach. I could only imagine how the decision looked to fans. I could only hope for an even better outcome this coming season. Even if to me that better outcome somehow felt selfish.

I wasn’t in this for me. The Starkillers were a business. Maybe I was letting the fans down by not bringing in a new coaching staff. Hopefully there was another way to appease them. I went all the way back to the comments from the beginning of the season. It was here I found some complaints I could address.

Fans did not like the annual scrimmage between Ylesia and Ralltiir. It was unnecessary they claimed now that the teams met during the regular season. It was risky to subject our players to injury. Unnecessary to subject our players to the extra travel. Some fans chimed in saying they were glad it wasn’t a home game. Glad the owners weren’t able to charge them full price admission to a game that didn’t even count.

Just then I heard a knock at my door. “Come in,” I called.

“What are you doing up?” Spencer asked opening the door fully. His tall thin frame gave me pause. When had he grown up?

“Just trying to make decisions about the upcoming season,” I explained.

Leaving the door wide open behind him Spencer walked into the room and took a seat on the bed with his legs crossed. “You’re not actually reading these?” He asked when he saw the page displayed on my data pad.

“Why would you create an entire page for fans to leave their comments if there weren’t intended to be read?” I asked.

“I created it so fans could vent. Makes them feel better. Smart fans don’t even bother because they are intelligent enough to realize we have more important stuff to do with our time.”

“I think maybe we should listen,” I told Spencer as I sat up. The baby wasn’t big yet, but sitting was getting uncomfortable already so I threw a pillow up against the headrest to lean on. “What about the scrimmage we play against Ylesia before the season begins?” I asked. “Would it be so bad if we called that off?”

“But mom. We were gonna host this year. We need the profits.”

“Fans feel like they are being taken advantage of when they are asked to pay full price for a game that doesn’t even count,” I explained.

“Everyone knows that,” Spencer said rolling his eyes. “Stadium doesn’t have to sell out, enough people do come that’s all that matters.”

“What?” I said in shock. “You mean we wouldn’t even be selling all the seats?” This came as a surprise to me because during the regular season there were long wait lists and exuberant prices for second hand sales.

“The bottom line is we make money Mom. And Coach has a way to evaluate talent. Which is why you also need to discuss this with him before you go and do something stupid.”

Spencer’s words hurt. Carrying a baby made me a lot more emotional and subject to outbursts. “Like you should have discussed your concerns about my safety at the game before burning me?” I asked.

“Yes,” he admitted. “And I get that you’re sending me away so you’ll feel safer. I’m going to prove I can handle school, the swim team and the Sandskimmers. Without spice,” he added.

Trey had suggested initially that Spencer consider the offer from Tatooine. He said Spencer was a lot like a new draft pick. A big fish at home who over achieved and was unable to deal with failure. There would be better swimmers on Tatooine. He’d learn to step up to his competition. Or he would fall, use spice again, maybe even worse. Spencer had insisted he was up for the challenge. This was the first time it had crossed my mind that he thought we were kicking him to the curb.

“If you attempt to hurt anyone in this house again you’re going straight to jail,” I reminded him. “But we aren’t kicking you out. You are more than welcome to stay here and attend classes at Ralltiir U.”

“No, I want to go to Tatooine.”

“Are you sure? Baby, I don’t want you to make a decision based on what you think I want.”

“Tatooine is a good school. It’ll be good for me to be on my own. Besides I just had an idea that might solve your pre-season dilemma.”

“What’s that?” I asked hoping the change of subject was permanent.

“Maybe instead of hosting Ylesia you could host the Sandskimmers. We don’t have to charge for tickets either. We can set up a lottery on the holo net. Beings can simply enter their name and well use a random generator to choose who gets seats. And if Coach agrees make it a touch game so it’s less likely anyone gets hurt.”

“That way we still make profits on parking and concessions,” I said catching on.

“Exactly,” he said. “Help make some of these credits back that I have to spend on tuition.”

Spencer was bitter about having to pay tuition. Tatooine had offered him a full scholarship between his academic and athletic accomplishments he certainly deserved one. In the end I had forced him to turn down the offers. He had inherited more than enough funds from his father to pay for school. The scholarships should go to students who couldn’t attend otherwise.

“These are good ideas,” I told Spencer. “Let’s get some sleep and call Coach tomorrow. See if he agrees.”

“Okay,” he got up and left the room.

“Goodnight,” I called.

I heard him grunt in reply.

Once he was gone I looked at my belly and gave it a soothing rub. “I’m looking forward to having someone to hug again,” I said aloud.

Tag: none

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Tendra Nalo
    Location: Press room, University of Euceron, Eusebus, Euceron
    Time: Later that evening

Tendra tapped the microphone, and the speakers responded. “Greetings, everyone. Welcome to my big announcement, or at least you people seem to think that it's big.”

The assembled press laughed.

“But seriously, I am well aware that the rumors surrounding this announcement have dominated the headlines here on Euceron for the past few days. Some of the rumors have seeds of truth, some are outright lies, and others make me think the author would make a fine stand-up comedian. However, tonight we will put the rumors to rest for good and begin dealing in actual facts.” Tendra paused for a moment. “Facts. That is a good word, so let's start with that. If you'll hold your questions for a little bit, I am going to monologue for a few minutes. Don't worry; I'm not turning into a supervillain, though I do enjoy a good superhero flick.

“Anyway, I received five contract offers from Elite League teams. I also received a few from the Premier League, but as I never gave any of those serious consideration, we will speak no more of them and focus on the Elite League teams. Those five teams are, in no particular order, Bakura, Coruscant, Ralltiir, Hapes, and Carratos. I am going to take a couple minutes to outline the basic details of each offer.

“Bakura representatives, namely Mr. Quinn Cundertol and Miss Saoirse Sloan, made a special trip out to Shedu Maad to watch one of my playoff games, which I greatly appreciate. Following the game, I spoke with them. Mr. Cundertol offered 1.8 million per year on a four-year contract. While I respect the fact that the Miners operate on a strict budget, I do have to say that this was one of the lowest offers I received in terms of salary. I was, however, impressed with the fact that they were actively contending for a championship.

“Coruscant was one of the first out of the gate when I announced my availability. Their offer was 2.5 million on a four-year contract, with a guaranteed starting role. This is one of the higher offers I received, and I could certainly see myself living in the urban jungle of Galactic City. However, their recent struggles give me concern that they will be stuck in a rebuilding cycle for a few seasons.

“Ralltiir is another team with whom I would be able to contend for a championship. They raised their offer a few times during the past few weeks, finally settling on three million for a five-year contract. This is the single highest offer I received, and as such is very enticing. However, I am unsure as to what my role on the team would be, and the fact that the coach plays himself and has given the owner's son a starting role with little experience compared to the vast majority of pro players gives me cause for concern.

“Hapes was the last team to approach me, with Mrs. Adanna Inviere visiting me at my team facilities a couple weeks after the end of our season. After a brief negotiation, an offer of 2.7 million for four years was mutually agreed on. This offer is second only to Ralltiir in terms of annual salary, and includes a guaranteed spot in the starting lineup. However, while Mrs. Inviere assured me that the C-Bucs are headed in the right direction after recent bad seasons, I still have my doubts, and while I may be one by birth, I am not a fan of the Hapans and their gender discrimination.

“Finally, Carratos was quick to jump into the fray, but at 1.725 million for five years, their offer was the lowest, and I would not have a shot at a starting role for 280. The planet's reputation for being run by criminals is also concerning to me. They are, however, able to contend for a title now, and that is a plus in their favor.

“At this time, before I announce my actual decision, I will open the floor to questions in case you would like to pick my brain about these contract offers.”

“Miss Nalo, who are you signing with?”

“Next question.”

“Who are you playing for next season?”

“I said I will announce my decision after this round of questions. Now be patient. Next question.”

“Can you just skip the questions and tell us the decision already?”

Tendra clasped her hands together, placed her elbows on the table, and rested her chin in the circle created by her thumbs and index fingers, as she studied that reporter. “Okay, fine. If y'all are not going to ask reasonable questions, then I suppose that there really isn't a point in delaying any further. So, here is my final decision.

“For the 280 Elite League Limmie season, I will be playing for...

“...the Hapes Consortium Buccaneers.”

OOC: When I wrote the death of the Euceron Storm, I told you guys that I was not done with this game. That was and is absolutely true. Beginning with next season, I will be taking over the C-Bucs as my new official team, with Tendra as my POV character. Thank you all for playing along with my story, and yes, this has been approved by Trieste and has been in the works for quite some time. :)

TAG: CPL_Macja Bardan_Jusik Vehn Rebecca_Daniels Trieste Runjedirun Jedi Gunny galactic-vagabond422

9. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Elite League Limmie 280

We’re Gonna Score Tonight

Mandalore

Fenrir Lokensgaard took to the stage for what had become the de facto opening of the Elite League Limmie season: the ELL Draft. He was greeted with cheers. Perhaps that was because limmie hungry fans wanted something to break up the monotony of the offseason. Or perhaps it was because there were a bunch of females who had shown up called themselves the “Lokensgals.” They were quite...passionate.

Oh the burdens of being Commissioner.

“Greetings, limmie fans,” Fenrir said, “and welcome to the 280 Elite League Limmie Draft. Before we go any further, I’d like to take a moment to reflect. This is the tenth ELL Draft, which is a pretty big milestone for an event like this. In just a decade, this has become a cornerstone not just of the sporting year, but also of the Elite League’s future. This is where Galactic Cup champions begin. In fact, teams participating in the Draft have won 80% of the Galactic Cups since then. I’d say that’s a mighty strong correlation, wouldn’t you?

“Now, as always, before we begin, I like to my little preamble, if you will, to discuss the state of the League. For example, sadly two teams left the League last season for circumstances beyond their control. Alas,” Lokensgaard said with a sigh, “But this means that other teams will get a chance to win the Galactic Cup. So who are those teams?

“The Membership Committee reviewed many candidates from across the galaxy. It was clear from the start that there was one team eminently qualified to return to the League. They have a pedigree of success wherever they’ve played and a fanbase that stretches through the galaxy.

“Gentlebeings, it is my pleasure to announce that in 280, the Chandrila Patriots will return to Elite League Limmie!”

The Patriots logo was displayed on the giant vidscreens on stage and fans of the Patriots in attendance went nuts cheering. There was plenty of booing too--the Chandrilans weren’t exactly known for making friends, especially local girl head coach Reina Kether who had lobbied hard for the Pats to return to the ELL.

“For our second open slot, the decision was tougher. We looked at many teams. For example--the Adumar Aces, a Golden Age stalwart franchise.” This got cheers from a small section of old Aces fans. “Then there were the Naboo Ducks--” Other cheers. “--and the Mon Calamari Mariners, blasts from the past. By the way, does anyone know whether I can say Mon Calamari? Am I supposed to say Dac? Well, that was incredibly confusing, so we tossed them out.” Disappointment from the stands.

“We considered small market teams like the Herzob Jevesects--though I confess I haven’t the slightest clue what a jevesect is--and the Woostri Wave. However, we wanted a team that would make a splash. A big team. A team with history, a team that some of our current members might want to settle some grudges against. A team...well, a team named the Kashyyyk Rangers.”

There was a big roar from what one assumed were Wookiee fans of the Rangers, accompanied by underlying hissing from Trandoshans as the Rangers’ crest was displayed behind them.

“Yes, the Rangers and the Patriots. Two teams with recent Galactic Cups, returning to the Elite League. I’m proud to announce that both teams will be playing in the Skywalker Conference this season, which is going to make a good conference even better. Mando’ade vs. Kashyyyk, Nar Shaddaa vs. Chandrila. We’ve got some historic rivalries coming back to the ELL.

“Now, sadly, both of these teams will not be participating in the Draft, so we won’t be seeing their future today, but we’ll be seeing that of a lot of teams. A minor administrative detail before we begin: now that everyone plays everyone, we’ve removed the conference record tiebreak from the Commissioner’s Trophy tiebreak. In fact, since the rules now clearly state that only conference champions are eligible for the Commissioner’s Trophy, the only tiebreak that matters is head-to-head record since there can no longer be circular logic.

“Now, with that out of the way, let the 280 Elite League Limmie Draft begin!”

There was much cheering.

“The Coruscant Senators have the first overall selection and are on the clock!”

Week 1
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Ylesia Lightning
    Kashyyyk Rangers at Coruscant Senators
    Carratos Pirates at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Chandrila Patriots at Mando’ade Mercs
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Bakura Miners
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Denon Demons

Week 2
    Carratos Pirates at Mando’ade Mercs
    Ylesia Lightning at Denon Demons
    Chandrila Patriots at Coruscant Senators
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Bakura Miners
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Kashyyyk Rangers

Week 3
    Ylesia Lightning at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Bakura Miners at Mando’ade Mercs
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Kashyyyk Rangers
    Coruscant Senators at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Carratos Pirates at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Denon Demons at Chandrila Patriots

Week 4
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators
    Mando’ade Mercs at Ylesia Lightning
    Kashyyyk Rangers at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Chandrila Patriots at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Carratos Pirates at Bakura Miners
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Denon Demons

Week 5
    Bakura Miners at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Mando’ade Mercs at Kashyyyk Rangers
    Denon Demons at Coruscant Senators
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Ylesia Lightning at Chandrila Patriots
    Carratos Pirates at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers

Week 6
    Mando’ade Mercs at Denon Demons
    Bakura Miners at Kashyyyk Rangers
    Chandrila Patriots at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Ylesia Lightning at Coruscant Senators
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Carratos Pirates

Week 7
    Denon Demons at Bakura Miners
    Coruscant Senators at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Kashyyyk Rangers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Chandrila Patriots
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Mando’ade Mercs
    Carratos Pirates at Ylesia Lightning

Week 8
    Ylesia Lightning at Kashyyyk Rangers
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Chandrila Patriots at Bakura Miners
    Mando’ade Mercs at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Denon Demons at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Coruscant Senators at Carratos Pirates

Week 9
    Mando’ade Mercs at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Chandrila Patriots at Carratos Pirates
    Coruscant Senators at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Ylesia Lightning at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Bakura Miners at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Denon Demons at Kashyyyk Rangers

Week 10
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Denon Demons
    Bakura Miners at Ylesia Lightning
    Kashyyyk Rangers at Carratos Pirates
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Coruscant Senators at Mando’ade Mercs
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Chandrila Patriots

Week 11
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Kashyyyk Rangers at Chandrila Patriots
    Denon Demons at Carratos Pirates
    Mando’ade Mercs at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Ylesia Lightning at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Coruscant Senators at Bakura Miners

Other administrative notes from the offseason voting:
    No change to the playoff format will be made
    Record-breaking offenses will be allowed on a roll of 40, unless it is a 40-40 tie, in which case standard OT rules go into effect
    There is no set start date for the 280 ELL season. One Sunday after the completion of the Draft will be given for friendly scores, after which Week 1 will start.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Vehn

Vehn, Jedi Gunny, jcgoble3 and 3 others like this.
  10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on an unseasonably warm and we're coming up on the draft soon afternoon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you."

"The draft is only a few weeks away, and with all the off season moves from the Mercs, and around the league, you guys really haven't had much time to delve into the that," came Kitterisch's voice over the wave.

"Well beyond dissecting a few mock drafts."

"Ya know Justin, Kitterich, I really don't want to talk about the draft, I'm still in the afterglow of the greatest post season in Mandalorian history..."

"We know, we know. Both KMI and the Mercs brought home Championship titles."

"With it coming u we need to talk draft and that means also recapping some of our losses this off season."

"Ugh, I don't really want to do that either. What are some of these guys thinking?"

"Hey the want to get payed and coming off of a title season a lot of these players see this as their big chance to cash in. Can't blame them for that?"

"Yes, yes I can. As a fan I can. They are tearing apart a Galactic Cup Championship team!"

"Well doesn't some of that fall on the Mercs front office? If they aren't willing to pay the players what they're worth then that's on them."

"It's a small market team, and the players know that. if they want to keep the team together they can't be asking for what some of them are asking. Beside, some of these guys are looking for a lot more than they're worth."

"Hey that's for the free market to decide."

"And the free market has nothing to do with Thorn leaving!"

"He was brought in to be the eventual starter, but with the season that Katan put up last year..."

"...And the massive five year contract the Mercs gave him."

"...he saw the writing n the wall. He wants out and while it's sad to see him go I'm not going to be upset by it. The Chiss wants to play, and he was getting no playing time now behind Katan."

"OK, OK. I see that point there. I do. And you're right, the Mercs didn't get anything out of him last season, so they probably won't miss him much. But it was great to have a starting caliber Goaltender ready and waiting should Katan get hurt."

"You said it right there Randy, he is a starting caliber goalkeeper, and he wants to start. It's as simple as that."

"Yeah, yeah. I get it. But Daryc...I still don't get it."

People retire Randy, it happens. Look at K'Karlson and Pedro, they both retired."

"K'Karlson retired because he was getting too old to be out there crushing people, and Pedro retired because he was a backup and wasn't very good. But Daryc..."

The audio of Daryc's press conference from several months ago was played for the umpteenth time on the show.

"Why the sudden desire to retire, to leave the sport while at the top of your game?"

"This has been something in the back of my mind for some time. I enjoy playing the sport, and always did my best out of a sense of contractual duty, but truth be told my heart hasn't really been in the game for some time. I just wanted to win one title before I left the game is all."

"But what will you do now?"

"I'm not sure, I have always enjoyed cracking skulls so bounty hunting isn't entirely off the table for me right now. But, and this may sound strange to you all, I have been offered a role in a holo drama called the Sullied 16 set during the Coalition war against the Ssi-Ruuk. It looks like a lot of fun and to could open up some new doors for me."

The show came back to the present. "It still...I'll be honest it makes me sick to my stomach hearing that."

"That's a tough one, and it's a huge loss for the Mercs. All-star, MVP candidate, reigning Numifolis Award winner."

"He screwed us over, that's what he did."

"I wish he would have stayed and accepted the challenge of playing as a defending Galactic Cup Champion. It's one thing to win the cup, to be the hunter. But to be the hunted, the defending champion. Everyone is playing their best against you, it's an even tougher road, and I wish he would have seen that and taken up that challenge."

"Well apparently he thinks that acting is more important than limmie."

"By the way guys, the imaging of that Holo is finished and the first trailers have hit the theaters. It does look like a great Holo."

"Don't care, not going to watch it!"

"I'll go see it, it does look like a fun holo."

"You two make me sick."

"Hey look at it this way, Daryc leaving is probably what convinced Tam to pick up her player option. She wants to be a starter and him leaving was her only path to that."

"Anyone who says they would rather have Tam over Daryc is crazy. Either way we would be looking for a half forward,, and I would much rather be replacing Tam than Daryc."

"Well the Mercs are going to have to replace a whole slew of players, not just half forward. just look at the list of players that declared for free agency."

"Gozer, Anderson and Horonel at midfield,..."

"Gah, we have to replace three midfielders!"

"...Rollko at corner forward..."

"With Pedro retiring that's both reserve corner forwards gone."

"...And of course Soker at right half forward is also looking to use the Cup title to cash in."

"I don't see her getting a huge contract. I could be wrong, some team may be willing to meet her demands, but it won't be the Mercs."

"That brings up a good point, look at the free agents the Mercs were able to retain."

"We talked about Katan and his five year contract."

"He made out like a bandit, hope he lives up to that contract."

"He will."

"The Mercs also held on to Ciegarth at Halfback..."

"They over payed to do that, they really did."

"Oh c'mon Randy, he deserved that contract, and it helps keep the defense relatively intact. The Mercs had to sign him."

"Which led to them over paying."

"Also on the defensive end they kept both their free agent cornerbacks, Jackson and Patton."

"They both signed in order to get a crack at the spot left vacant after K'Karlson's retirement."

"No doubt, one year extension to them both. Look for whoever loses that competition to leave next season looking for a starting job elsewhere."

"And at half forward the Mercs kept a hold of Kendal for three more years."

"That's a good signing, I like her at half forward."

"That's a lot holes left on the team due to free agency, and only three draft picks to do it."

"Hey to be fair, the Mercs still have a shot at all the other players that left, they just have to pony up the cash."

"They could go out and cherry pick other team's free agents too."

"Yeah, just look at how they brought in Tullo, and he helped transform that defense!"

"I just hate seeing money tearing down a great team, a defending champion no less. It's the fan in me. I love seeing great teams stay together, and now with all this i don;t see how the Mercs can go out again and win the Cup for a second season in a row."

"So what do you want them to do? tear it all down and go into rebuilding mode?"

"No, of course not. Any team that does that after winning a title should be barred from the league!"

"So what then?"

"I don't know. I just... I wish they could stay together and make another run at this thing."

"Randy, if wishes and but were candy and nuts we'd all have a happy life day."

"I hate that saying."

"Listen, the Mercs should still be competitive, they have all three of their draft picks, they have a good farm team down at Concordia to draw from, and free agency isn't over. They can fill these holes, and maybe even get better."

"Better than Daryc or K'karlson?"

"OK, you got me there, but..."

"Hey guys, hate to interrupt but we have some breaking news from meshla vhetin."

"We do?"

"OK, cool, go for it Kitterich."

The Mercs just announced the signing of offensive and defensive coordinators for the first time in team history."

"Oh boy..."

"On defense they are bringing back former defensive standout "Killer" K'Karlson..."

"That's not a bad call, if they do bring in new talent on that side of the ball having someone who understands the defense inside and out, and someone who can really devote him time to teaching it to his guys..."

"...and gals..."

"...without having to worry about the other side of the ball."

"You guys finished?"

"Yeah, sorry go ahead. K man."

"The Mercs are also going to be bringing in R'Lee Er'Mey as offensive coordinator. Er'Mey is currently serving as a Gunnery Sergeant in the Mandalorian Protectors, and is also the former head coach of the Concordia Crusaders (coached from 272 to 276) bringing two championships home to Concordia during that time."

"Wow, that came out of no where."

"Coach Er'mey is coming to the Mercs! Oh that's awesome. He has..well he has a style all his own, but I know the offense will respond to him, especially with the toughness and attitude lost with Daryc. This guy has that in spades, and he'll imprint it of the offense or else. I played for Coach Er'Mey in 274 when we won the LFL crown and wow what a motivator. Great signings, and they both will help to keep the pressure off of Head Coach Ryi' Kor'le in her second season in the league."

"Well, that certainly is a lot to digest. We'll be back in a moment to talk draft and further dissect these additions to the coaching staff, right here on the fanadalorian!"

OOC: Ok folks, here's a breakdown of the Mecrs off season thus far in one nice easily digestible chunk. Even the Sarlacc could handle this pretty easily I think.

• Mando'ade Mercs announce the retirement of "Killer" K'Karlson (CB)
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the retirement of Jeem Daryc (HF)
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the retirement of Pedro, reserve corner forward.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce that Mitth'or'norris "Thorn", Chiss male, Goalkeeper will not resign with the team under any circumstances and will elect for free agency.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce that Gozer "the Destructor", Devaronian male, Midfielder, is electing to test his value on the free agent market but is open to returning to the Mercs at the right price
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce that Melia Soker, human female right half forward, is electing to test her value on the free agent market, but is open to returning to the Mercs at the right price.
    • Mando'Ade Mercs announce that Jolis Horonel, human male, Midfielder, is electing to test his value in free agency but is open to returning to the Mercs at the right price.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce that Ric Anderson, human male, Midfielder, is electing to test his value in free agency but is open to returning to the Mercs at the right price.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce that Rajah Rollko, Shistavanen female, corner forward, is electing to test her value in free agency but is open to playing for the Mercs at the right price.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the signing of Ciegarth (HB) to a four year contract extension.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the signing of Ariva Kendal (HF) to a three year contract extension.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the signing of Mij Katan (GK) to a five year contract extension.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the signing of Beaux Jackson (CB) to a one year contract extension.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the signing of Jiri "Slappy" Patton (CB) to a one year contract extension.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce that Jaya"barefoot" Tam (HF) has picked up her one year player option and will be returning to the Mercs next season.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the hiring of former cornerback and defensive standout, "Killer" K'Karlson as defensive coordinator.
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce the hiring of R'Lee Er'Mey as offensive coordinator. Er'Mey is currently serving as a Gunnery Sergeant in the Mandalorian Protectors, and is also the former head coach of the Concordia Crusaders (coached from 272 to 276) bringing two championships home to Concordia during that time.
    [​IMG]
    • Concordia Crusaders announce the release of Dezorga, Dug male, full forward, to free agency. (OOC: This one wasn't mentioned in my post above as it was too minor to warrant the attention of the show)
    TAG: All, but especially Trieste to update the free agent list.

[​IMG]

Vehn, Trieste, Jedi Gunny and 3 others like this.
  11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Briar Thorne

This was it.

This was Briar’s first Draft as the GM of the Coruscant Senators. The pressure was on her shoulders now. The pundits had talked about this for weeks, about how she could cope with the stress to produce a winner. And it would all begin with this first pick, the first of a new regime on the galactic capital.

The goal was clear; to push the team in the right direction. To expect instant success was akin to suicide; this team was clearly not built for short-term success at this juncture. Three top overall draft picks in the past four years showed that things were not good on Coruscant. Poor personnel decisions, bad play, and terrible trades had brought them to the brink of complete disaster. Briar was used to winning on Bakura, but this mess would take time to fix. She had started by purging the roster of players she didn’t need or who didn’t have contract space anymore. There were some notable names on there, but at some point those names hadn’t meant much. The Senators, and more importantly, she couldn’t afford a terrible slip-up. Many said that she had leeway Gark S’rily never had in that she was new and had fresh ideas. The pressure, they said, wouldn’t be as intense because no one knew exactly what she would bring to the table.

But they obviously didn’t know what it was like to be a GM. She was new, yes, but that meant there was pressure to perform right out of the gate. Carratos had been the poster child of going from worst to first in the span of one year, and some of the fans wanted that same kind of turnaround. It wasn’t going to happen, Briar knew, but she wasn’t the one paying to see games and expecting results. Then again, with what she had heard of the fans here, they were more likely to be complaining than not. There was a reason why she had never liked Coruscant; their fans sucked. Many could call them bandwagon fans, and even as much as she hated that phrase, it was eerily true. Bakura had real fans, had those who would sit and watch at the Gardens no matter how good or bad the Miners were. Of course they had been spoiled recently with winning, but still, that team loyalty was still there. As for the Senators . . . well, that was another issue.

There was no way to fix this team through the Draft. Thus, the strategy was to plug a few holes and hope that other players, whether free agents or trade pieces, could be acquired to at least fill out the roster. Briar didn’t expect to be able to lure in quality free agents, because while Coruscant had the media market that put others to shame, sometimes that media circus could prove a dangerous mix with nervous players who were unsure if they wanted to go through a rebuilding project. Winning was the biggest factor for success in this league, and many players wanted to win immediately. She would have to rely on those who were happy to have jobs in the league, and who were looking more for financial security than team success. It was a difficult tightrope to walk across, but it had to be done. If she resigned herself to a complete rebuilding project, S’rily wouldn’t take that so well. Even though he was away from the game this year, no doubt he could pull some strings to put the heat on her if he felt she wasn’t trying hard enough. After all, he had a lot riding on this team, including his legacy with building the team back up again.

And that was the next big problem for Briar. Everyone was expecting her to be the next Gark S’rily. There was no way she could be. Even with the Miners, the hated rival of the Senators, she had respected the Bothan for what he had been able to do. Yes Quinn Cundertol had made an immediate impact on the Miners and had led them to three Galactic Cups in the past decade, yes Kaitlyn Vehn had put her mark on the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers and had them winning right and left. But none had the impact of S’rily. Because he had not just built up a loser franchise and then ripped off playoff appearance after playoff appearance, but he had done everything for the organization. He had built them a farm system, he had fought to keep the team out of bankruptcy even though it had been a losing battle, and he had brought the team back from the dead. He had sacrificed his life to save those of his players. He was a man worth respecting on and off the pitch, and Briar knew it would be difficult to follow up that legacy. After all, who was she? She was just an assistant GM on those championship Miner teams. She had never made the personnel decisions, just filed the paperwork. And now she was being asked to pull the same magic out of the S’rily bag of tricks. Frankly, despite the rough past several seasons, no one could do that. No one could mean more to their franchise than the Bothan had to his. And now she had to do what she could to make the fans appreciate her.

So that meant everything was riding on this pick. Briar arrived at the venue that day unsure of what she was going to do. The Mock Drafts said different things, and as much as she wanted to trust her scouts, this was uncharted territory for her. Now she was in charge of consequential decisions; this was no longer the Premier League and making GM decisions for a farm club. No, this was for all the marbles, and Briar felt afraid for the first time in a long time. The whole galaxy would be watching her now with a fine-tuned microscope. She had to be a leader and get the black and orange back to where it belonged, in the winner’s circle.

“You look nervous,” Aebatt Zargana said as they settled into the ‘War Room’.

“Who wouldn’t when it’s their first Draft?” Briar replied.

“Relax, it’s not as difficult as it sounds,” Aebatt tried to reassure the younger GM. “I went through it and survived the process.”

“You didn’t have to deal with the helm of a Big Four ballclub.”

“Very true,” Aebatt said, her voice trailing off.

“Do we have everything set?” Briar then asked.

“Ready to go whenever we’re needed,” Tela Loni, the head scout, said. She had multiple datapads laid out in front of her. The Holo system was up and running. Jimi Persons, the analytics expert, had done a preliminary report on the draftees. It was a crude system, but it would be enough from him to give her insight on the metrics of things.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Polis Vayne, the new owner, asked. “Let’s figure out who we want to take with this pick. Because once the clock starts, we’re on the edge.”

All eyes turned to look at Briar. She knew they were all looking at her to make the first move. After all, she was the GM. “Ok,” she said, folding her hands now. “Let’s make our first pick. We’re going to need a whole new team at this point, so I’m looking for moves that will help us fill as many holes as we can without jeopardizing our existing assets too much. If we want to move a player, we do so. We cannot be afraid to make moves now to gain picks. That’s how we’re going to rebuild this team.”

“Roster is set and ready to go,” Tela said, pushing a wispy blonde hair out of her face. The roster popped up on the Holo screen, clearly demonstrating that the team was a major work in progress. Many voids were present on the roster sheet, indicating starting and reserve roles empty and waiting to be filled. And they would all be filled; Briar believed that reserves were crucial to have, even if the Miners never really used them. But the starters had to gain precedence, because they were expected to start things off and bring them home. Reserves were there to eat up minutes and to have insurance for injuries. But the starting lineup was the key here, as the bench slots could be filled with low-cost free agents or prospects from Thyferra. Briar was glad to have a farm club, even one with a pathetic track record like the Force did. At least she had a safety plan in place should things not go so well with the roster she constructed.
    Briar stayed silent, as did the rest of the room, when the Draft began. The Commissioner opened things up, and the Senators were first on the clock.

“We have ten minutes,” Polis pointed out. “I suggest we don’t wait the whole ten minutes and make a hasty decision to beat the clock. We need to be strong and make a pick in the next few minutes.”

“OK, since we have holes everywhere, we should look for the best player at a position of need,” Briar stated. “A player worthy of being in our starting lineup, and preferably a star in the making. Tela, what does the HSN Mock say?”

“That we draft Nuun out of Ralltiir.”

“Corner forward, smaller school, known for academics,” Briar said, closing her eyes momentarily. Who said Quinn Cundertol was the only one with an acute mind for these sorts of things? “Veragi League . . . competition is less there . . .”

“But she’s the top-rated forward on the board,” Polis said. “And a Helmsman finalist. Now, I know this is a different planning committee than the ones I used to be on at Drafts, but I think we would be wise to look at all our options. After all, just because she went to a smaller school doesn’t mean we should look elsewhere. Lots of good players come from small schools. You should know that, Briar. The Miners drafted a few like that recently, and look where it got them.”

“What are our other options?” Briar asked.

“That Helmsman winner from VCU,” Tela commented. “But he’s much lower-rated. Nuun at least has the higher rating, and she was a finalist for that award. So there’s little drop-off there.”

“Defense,” Briar said. “Leak is a top option. Half back, like that, but National isn’t known for putting out top prospects . . .”

“Again, if I may, that doesn’t really matter,” Polis said. “After all, they do say Leak is the best prospect to come out of National since Dirxx Horstse. And he also plays half back, so . . .”

“Too risky,” Briar said. “While defense is a good idea, can we really afford to hang our first pick on a half back?”

“Carratos did that last year,” Aebatt pointed out.

“But they found a quality free agent there as well, and had an Ingbrand nominee also at the positional group,” Briar said, still lost in thought. “We don’t have that. We have a former top pick who can barely keep up at this level, and one or two also-ran third-round picks who may not have much staying power. So building a defense would require a lot of moves.”

“And our offense last year was atrocious,” Polis said. “It was painful to watch, and I was the one coaching them . . .”

“Then what do you suggest?” Briar asked.

“I’d take the only obvious choice here. I’d take Nuun,” the Hall-of-Famer said. “Besides, I don’t want the Smugglers to get her.”

“Her numbers are impressive,” Jimi said. He had been quiet up to this point, playing with his logic puzzle like a child. “Best in her league in all major statistical metrics at that position, and ranked in the top twenty throughout the galaxy. Of course I’m not the one making the suggestion, but I think we reconsider her other intangibles and just look at numbers.”

“So you suggest that we look past the Veragi League?” Briar asked.

“Well of course. I wouldn’t say anything unless I thought it was important. What do you think you hired me for, as a psychologist?” Jimi asked in his usual nerd way. “I’m a metrics specialist. I know what I’m looking at, and right now the numbers suggest you consider her with this pick.”

“I see,” Briar commented, looking at the numbers Jimi had provided her. He was right; Nuun was definitely a good player. But just one thing remained at this point. “Have we received any offers for the top pick?”

“None,” Aebatt said. “I’ve been combing the comm. channels for the last hour, and nothing has come. Unless someone gets a request in real soon, I think we should move ahead and pick.”

“All right. Let’s just go over the other options first. The other forwards aren’t as good?”

“They’re good, but I think Nuun is better,” Tela said. “I went out to Ralltiir to see her pro day, and she was the best player there. Now, that’s not saying a whole ton since it was just Ralltiir U and a few other local schools, but she did well there. And then at the combine she was even better. My only concern is her unwillingness to take contact. She’s graceful off the ball and when she’s in the clear, but if she finds herself stuffed by a defense, that can fluster her. So we’d have to work on those things.”

“She’ll have a higher chance than most to get those free touches, since Adama’s always being double and triple-teamed,” Polis pointed out. “We need someone to take the pressure off her and pick up scoring slack. From the numbers, we could do a lot worse here, and right now we need a good pick.”

“Fine, then,” Briar said. “Ultimately, this decision is up to me, and I’m going this way. Any objections?” No one spoke. “Good, I was hoping there wouldn’t be any issues,” she said. Then she stood up. “Time to make history,” she muttered to herself as she did so. The jersey was handed to her, and she went out to the stage.

The lights seemed brighter up here on stage than they seemed to be from the audience’s stand point, Briar thought as she was temporarily blinded by all the lighting rigged up for the event. She made her way to the podium, ceded to her by the Commissioner. The place fell quiet for the most part, the beings in attendance wanting to hear what she had to say. Come on, Briar, this is your big moment, she thought to herself.

“With the first overall pick in the 280 Elite League Draft, the Coruscant Senators select Zuzu Nuun, corner forward from the University of Ralltiir.

[​IMG]

The dark-skinned human came up to the podium and shook Briar’s hand. “I hope you’re ready for this,” Briar told the draft pick as she handed the new Senator the jersey.

“I’ll be ready,” Nuun said confidently.

You’d better be, Briar thought. After all, Nuun would likely be asked to take over the offensive production that Maximus Qorbus had provided. With the Nautolan’s contract not extended, his position on the team was now opened up to someone else. It wasn’t like Qorbus wasn’t good, but his injury the prior season had proven that he was expendable in this situation. There was literally no telling how much they could get out of him at this point, especially if he wanted a long-term or high-value contract. Briar wanted to make a stamp on this team, and Qorbus just hadn’t fit into those plans. She figured she could find the same level of production cheaper elsewhere. Nuun was a big part of that equation.

When she returned to the ‘War Room’, Briar sat down and immediately pulled up a datapad. “What are you doing?” Aebatt asked.

“Checking the trade channel myself,” Briar said. “I have a feeling that we might have some offers coming in at some point.”

TAG: Vehn

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

I will be resolving all free agent transactions in a week. Please submit any requests if you have them. I will not be updating the library post until then so you'll have to keep up with this thread. However, since this is draft sensitive I am announcing that the Mercs have received Sarah Connor (Human, Female, Goaltender) and Ye'ves'toung (Chiss, Female, Midfielder) from the Senators in exchange for the Mercs' first round draft pick in this year's draft (the eighth overall pick).

TAG: Bardan_Jusik Jedi Gunny

Vehn, Jedi Gunny, CPL_Macja and 2 others like this.
  13. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Mylessa McCloud

Mandalore
    280 Draft

Mylessa McCloud slipped into the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers ‘War Room’ and cast a long gaze at the draft board. Everyone in the room, Lilly Vehn, Meredith Chambers-Vayne, scouting director Shay Dionne, had one focus and that was to find a replacement for her. Someone who could run the offense with their eyes closed. Someone who thrived on stressful situations and capitalized on scoring points in just a matter of seconds, a being that could put the attack back into the Smuggler’s favor and put away opponents. Someone, very soon, was about to wear the burgundy and black in a decision that would set the course of the franchise for the next decade.

There would never be another Mylessa McCloud. She was the great outlier in franchise history: the career that couldn’t be defined in a sentence because it was so very untraditional. She’d dreamed of playing for an Outer Rim team and felt an immediate connection when Kaitlyn Vehn visited her leading up to the ’76 draft. They’d talked. They’d laughed. Most of all, they’d formed a pact that had paid off in huge dividends for a franchise that had gone on a winning rampage. Vehn-McCloud, almost sounded like the winning ticket to a mayoral election on Nar Shaddaa. Could’ve been, Mylessa mused, had it not been for Kaitlyn’s untimely demise. Maybe if she’d still been around, ’79 would’ve been different.

But then you wouldn’t be here. Offensive coordinator for the team you love, for the city you desire, for the fans who need something to believe in after a down year.

“Check in,” Lilly said as she tapped away with a pencil on the table.

“Offense,” Meredith said.

“Offense,” Shay Dionne added.

McCloud found her voice, “Offense.”

Lokensgaard was pontificating before the crowd in his usual odd way. And then he dropped the announcement. The one announcement that made Mylessa McCloud’s blood run cold and that was never a good thing. He announced that the Chandrila Patriots and the Kashyyyk Rangers, two enemies of the Smugglers regime, had returned to the league. They’d not only returned to the league: they were joining the Skywalker Conference.

“Frak,” Meredith groaned.

“Wookiees,” Shay added shaking her head.

Mylessa knew the bad blood between the Rangers and Smugglers. Their match ups had been particularly violent. Sure, the Mercs and the Smugglers had traded some hard blows, McCloud’s knee smarted at the memory, but the Rangers were borderline Dark Side of the Force to the Smuggler’s light. It was that bad. McCloud knew that Meredith had more history with the Rangers so when she let slip her words of curse and fury Mylessa knew that this was serious. As for the Patriots, win or lose, a good punch to Reina Kether always felt good and had become something of a running gag in the Smuggler locker room. They’d never say that to the commissioner, or any of his cronies because it would inevitably result in some serious penalties, but any of the veterans who’d been around to play in the Burgundy and Green Brawl knew that starting a fight wasn’t just frustration, it was tradition.

Coruscant was on the clock. Briar Thorne had been developed in the system of the Bakura Miners under the tutelage of the Smug Dragon, the insane Quinn Cundertol, and McCloud had a feeling the decision to let Thorne go to the Core would come back to haunt the Miners for years. Coruscant was due for a championship. That was how this league worked. A team couldn’t stay down in the dumps forever. Well, Mylessa held that thought, she was pretty sure Rydonni Prime would’ve traded in all three of their Galactic Cup losses for a taste of what victory must feel like. That was hard. Even that hard statistic cracked McCloud’s usually icy demeanor.

“Zuzu Nuun, corner forward from the University of Ralltiir,” came the announcement indicating Coruscant’s pick.

Nobody groaned in the Smuggler War Room. Nuun wasn’t even on their board. They only wanted one player. One person to lead them back into contention, one person who wouldn’t have to travel very far to join the team. The look in the room was unanimous.

“Make the pick,” Lilly commanded.

Meredith Chambers-Vayne walked out onto the stage and said, “With the second pick of the 280 Elite League Draft, the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers select…”

“Mick Steele! Mick Steele! Mick Steele!” The drunken Smuggler faithful interjected nearly catching Meredith off guard.

She smiled and yelled, “Mick Steele, Forward, Vertical City University!”

[​IMG]

Mylessa watched as Meredith and Mick shook hands. She knew in that moment that a new decade of Limmie was upon her and that her time on the pitch was becoming memory.

Tag: Rebecca_Daniels

14. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    IC: Mirik Chal

It was somewhat of a minor miracle that she was still at this table. After another losing season, the fans were starting to make their unhappiness known, and while she'd staved it off by keeping Urdaaza another season, they had to start winning this year or she really would be gone. Not that she didn't have other opportunities; the Senators' offer had been tempting, but she wanted to finish her time here on Ylesia with a legacy beyond bringing humans onto the team.

The Lightning remained the same team as the last year, a mix of increasingly ageing players and the rest too green to know quite what they had to do. Their Hutt owner was satisfied, but for how long? How many more seasons until the core of the team decided to retire or move on? Urdaaza was one of their main selling points, and even she had been... difficult. If this season went poorly, Mirik had no doubt that Kasin would be leaving, no matter what she offered.

Which led to today. Penin was a more than serviceable goalkeeper, and he deserved the spotlight - perhaps more than Urdaaza, now that she was acting like a prima donna. At least Vra was still committed, but how long would that last if her best friend left the team?

Regardless, they needed someone who could make an impact now, to convince them all to stay. Making the playoffs again wasn't even in their sights; they had to start winning games. Their defense had improved dramatically since 278 - they'd even had a positive point differential for the first time sine 276, which was also their last winning season. But defense could only stop so many shots, and their offense was not working, no matter how many time Kyril shuffled them around. Eriadu's prospects weren't well-off either, leaving her with only a draft plan and a lot of hoping.

Neither of the two taken already were on their list; they had a targeted strategy and no plans to change it unless a trade offer came in. Quickly, Mirik arrived at the podium.

"First, I would like to congratulate the Mando'ade Mercs on their Galactic Cup win. We on Ylesia were delighted to have been host to such a thrilling game." Though it would have been better to have been in it, of course. "And without further ado, the Ylesia Lightning select Mera Loralsgaard from Aquilaris University."

The Arhan joined her to receive her maroon and yellow jersey. Hopefully she'd bring the offense that her statistics suggested, and her coaches had enthused about her ability to move between different positions at forward. Time would tell...

"Bakura Miners are on the clock."

TAG: Trieste

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    OOC: I have not cleared what follows with Bardan_Jusik. Knowing him he probably won't mind, but if he does he'll just say so and the bit in question will be invalidated by such an act. The draft pick will not be, however. :p

IC
    Mandalore

The moment the lanky Eriaduan stepped into view he was greeted by a chorus of a single syllable:

Booooooooooooooo.

It seemed that the hometown fans' championship hangover hadn't been enough for them to forget that this being had denied them the pleasure two years earlier. And then there was the Truce Day game last season. And Glencross. There was always Glencross.

Their unbridled disapproval continued unabated as Cundertol stepped up to the podium. In fact, it was so loud that no one knew that the Miners had even made a pick until Syedna Moole of the University of Gacerian came out onto the stage to accept his jersey from Cundertol.

Similarly, it was up to the Starkillers to intuit out that they were on the clock. The countdown on the screens with the Starkiller logo helped with that though.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik Runjedirun

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    OOC: Yes, I have permission to do this from Trieste

The Coruscant Senators announce the following transactions:

Sharsy Wenips (MF), Augustina Dekula (HB) and Vilnova Rickmond (HB) have been traded to the Hapes Consortium Buccaneers in exchange for Alysha Romax (MF), and two prospects from the Gallinore Firedrakes - Conar Kraft (HB) and Kelly Vurgess (DB)

The following players have entered free agency:

Haybius Korpus (Quarren, Male, Half Back)​
    Arienne Farfell (Hapan, Female, Midfielder)​
    Maximus Qorbus (Nautolan, Male, Corner Forward)​
    Syra Kuna (Twi’lek, Female, Corner Forward)​
    Litan Kuna (Twi’lek, Female, Full Forward)​
    Ynisse Zalt (Twi’lek, Female, Half Forward)​
    Levi Corner (Human, Male, Midfielder)​
    Thulius Jomas (Human, Male, Half Forward)​
    Zovort (Fondorian, Male, Half Back)​
    Mekmek (Mon Calamari, Female, Midfielder)​
    Gemma Sal-Solo (Human, Female, Corner Forward)​
    Gal Avant (Human, Male, Half Forward)​
    TAG directly to jcgoble3 and anyone interested in the free agents

jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  17. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Madelyne Vigo

The draft came at the best possible time for a woman to be carrying a baby, the second trimester. I was looking forward to getting off-planet. It would be my first chance to prove myself as general manager. A few days before we left Trey surprised me with flowers at breakfast. I opened the card and two commercial flight tickets fell out. To the mother of my child, the card read. You take such good care of everyone. Now it’s my turn to take care of you. Join me on our honeymoon.” My mouth dropped open in shock. I collected the tickets off the table where they had fallen to see where we would be going. A resort on Endor. It would be beautiful there. I could already smell the fresh air. I pictured the two of us walking out of the forest on a warm evening hand in hand, looking up to see the stars. “Trey this is perfect,” I said standing up to wrap my arms around him. He bent down, our lips met and we shared a passionate kiss.

We didn’t pull apart until several minutes later when a cabinet slammed. It was Tomas. “About time,” he said after I jumped back startled by the noise.

“Your mother was just thanking me for a late honeymoon,” Trey explained to Tomas. “We will be away for ten days total including the draft. I arranged for you and Spencer to stay with Ty and Lucie.”

“But why?” Tomas asked. “We can take care of ourselves.”

“It’s too long for you to be without an adult,” I said compassionately. “Besides you and Ty get along so well and you haven’t had much time to spend with him. I know you will have a great time.”

“Ty doesn’t even care the Starkillers lost,” Tomas accused.

“What makes you say that?” I asked.

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” Trey said over me.

“It is the truth,” Tomas barked back defensively. “Days later he gave Lucie that goofy looking ring, they took T.J. to Hobbie Holiday amusement land and now they’re gonna have another baby. He never even mentions limmie when he comes to dinner.”

“Maybe,” Trey said raising his voice to match Tomas’. “Ty is putting the loss behind him. It hurt a lot when we lost last season. Allowing himself to enjoy the things he misses during the season should be helping him heal. I know he cares Tomas. He answers my calls and I see him in the gym all the time. Give him a chance.”

“It’s not like I have a choice,” Tomas snapped. He grabbed his plate off the counter and stormed out of the kitchen.

Trey started after him, but I stopped him. Instead of yelling at Tomas I convinced Trey to call Ty and let him know how Tomas was feeling. Ty showed up at Tomas’ indoor limmie game a day later to sort things out. I left for the draft knowing the boys were in good care and confident we would be able to add assets to our team.

Bat flew us out in his personal ship. Assistant Coach Gwynn Reeser also came along for the trip. Sandskimmers head coach Bill Hitts met us on Mandalore. “You still haven’t gotten an offer for Fortune?” Bill said in disbelief once we were settled in the war room.

“Not a one,” I confirmed.

“Such a promising young man. You think you can convince him to play for you again next year Trey?” Bill asked turning to my husband.

“If it comes to that he will be playing for me next year. I won’t be giving him all the freedoms I gave him last season,” Trey said annoyed.

“You had such a good team. Is there anyone you wouldn’t start again next year? Any holes you want to plug with this draft class?”

“I got back-ups I might put in next season, but I’m not planning on drafting a starter,” Trey replied casually.

“Does that mean you’ll be returning to the field next season?” Bill asked with excitement.

I watched as Trey looked in my direction and threw my hands up as a sign of surrender. “I didn’t stop you last season and I won’t stop you this coming season,” I promised.

Trey nodded as Coruscant stepped up to the stage and took Ralltiir native Zuzu Nuun. Reeser stood from her seat to cheer on the #1 selection. The rest of us followed suit. What an accomplishment for our planet to have someone go #1 in the ELL draft. It was a good start, to what would become a great evening.

When our pick came at #5 two of our top selections were still available. Forward, Callopie Farlan and Half Back Hamm Leak. “You think you can reign in Hamm?” Trey said looking towards Bill.

“You aren’t even going to consider Farlan?” Bill asked.

“We have plenty of offensive talent to pull from on Tatooine, what we are lacking is defense. Besides with old man playing again this year,” Reeser said pointing towards Trey. “It’s defensive back up we are more likely to need.”

“I can reign him in,” Bill said confidently. “Top rated draft pick doesn’t scare me.”

“Then I’ll go make the pick,” I said rising to my feet. I took the lift down to the stage as not to trip in my heels which was more of a possibility than I wanted to admit with my center of gravity so far off while carrying a baby. Gracefully I made my way to the stage, “With the 5th pick of the 280 ELL draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select Hamm Leak.” The Zeltron made his way to the stage. He seemed cool and confident. “Welcome aboard," I greeted as I handed the jersey I carried with me to him.

“Thank you ‘Mam,” he said politely. He was making a good first impression, at least.

“The Carratos Pirates are on the clock,” I said quickly as we made our departure.

Tag: galactic-vagabond422

Trieste, Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    GM Approval for the following HSN Headlines:

Nar Shaddaa drops affiliate Druckenwell Marksmen due to ongoing conflict in the old Roon Trade Organization. A team official states, "We've decided that continuing to be affiliated with the Marksmen is a poor political decision. The Smugglers wish to stay out of the conflict between the Vehn and Ypres families and wish the Marksmen the best of luck."

Nar Shaddaa announces that they have released Jeoffrey Bootmaker (Human, Male, Forward) and Becki Morlan (Hapan, Female, Forward) to free agency.

Nar Shaddaa signs Stan Marin (Human, Male, VCU, Forward) to their vacant Right Half Forward position.

Trieste, Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Geoff Copin
    The Stacked Deck, O’phaz, Carratos

Four Pirates players and their coach sat at the bar watching the Galactic Cup Final. It was a nail biter to be sure had most of the establishment on the edge of their seats. When all was said and done the Mercs raised the cup.

“To the Mercs,” Rhodri said raising his cup, a shot glass actually, “our Skywalker sibling.” Geoff and Rime joined the Klatoonian in toasting the new champions. At the other end of the small group, the Pirates power couple, Mikia and Logan, were slightly less enthused.

“Frak the Mercs,” Logan nearly shouted, “It should be us lifting the cup this year. We tore up the regular season.”

“Well,” Rime retorted, “It would have been us if the defense didn’t play like rookies,” a subtle jab at the defensive leader to his left.

“Hey,” Rhodri snapped back “I don’t control the defense, me and Ponie did our best but, the others just got a little carried away, it happens.” He paused for a bit glaring at the team captain, “What happened to our offense you kinda’ dried up in the second half. If you guys were on your game and ran the ‘All In’ like it was supposed to run then the penalties would have been no big issue.”

“Guys,” Geoff called out before the argument to get any further. “Calm down for a bit, we did really good for only our second year in the league, especially after the disaster of the first season.” He leaned over the bar to look at his star forward. “Logan, you won the Salbukk and Comeback Player of the Year awards. It’s nothing to scoff at, you had a good year.” The Human finished his last shot of whiskey and headed to the door. He was obviously not encouraged by the coach’s words. Mikia followed him out, leaving the three older men alone.

“How’s the draft look coach?” Rime asked.

“Well after this year’s draft I have more confidence in Schintt’s ability to make good choices but, he is including me on a few things.”

“Hopefully beefing up our back line,” Rhodri grunted,

“Yeah we’re most defiantly looking to strengthen the backs,” Geoff replied

“We looking at that Shook,” Rhodri said using the name for the Chofin Tech Limmie team, “what was his name, Corunno Non, I believe?”

“He is a corner back but he’s rather low ranked so maybe second or third round but, I’m pushing for someone higher ranked for our first pick.”

“But,” Rime cut in, “He’s from Carratos I thought Schintt had to pick a local for the first round pick?”

“I don’t think it has to be the first round but, I do think we’ll end up drafting him. I think the boss has to draft a certain number a locals to keep some people happy.”

“I’m not complaining,” Rhodri said, “Mikia and Gor turned out alright, so as far as I’m concerned boss can keep going local. We’ve got some good, tough players in our junior leagues and on other planets, I say time to put Carratos on the map as a Limme power house, up there with Nar Shadaa and Bakura.”

“Rhodri, you’re talking about teams with years and years of history and development.”

“Yeah so what, I left here to play in the Premier League and jumped at the chance to come back and play for my homeworld. So Carratos has been producing some good talent, just no one upstairs noticed until we started kicking butt. I say expect a run on Carratosian players in the coming years.”

“Well there aren’t many outside for Corunno this year.” The coach replied.

“Have you looked at the junior leagues on Carratos?” Rhodri asked in response.

“Who would, I mean they aren’t even on the same level as even the Carratosian college players, right.”

“No, no,” The Devaronian captain cut in, “there are some pretty good players in the juniors right now but, I wouldn’t take them first round, second or third most defiantly.”

“Anyone I should bring up to Schnitt?” Geoff looked over the bar to his player.

“Well,” the forward started stroking his chin, “There’s this one forward for the O’Pahz Privateers, but, she’s streaky. She’ll be blazing hot for a game or two then just crater. She also has a habit of arguing with the refs and picking fights with the other teams, but, this being Carratos no one does anything.”

“She sounds like one to avoid.”

“I’m not sure about that, her temper needs to be worked on, but even with her hot and cold runs she still managed to be one of the top scorers.”

“I’d still advise against it, she seems too volatile.”

“She was just one that sprang to mind.” Geoff check his chrono,

“I should be getting home now guys,” the coach explained.

“Yeah, I should be going too,” Rime said rising from his barstool. The two men parted ways outside the bar and headed to their respective domiciles.

The offseason seemed to fly past, and before Geoff knew it, he was at the draft. Schnitt seemed very calm with most of the previous choices. Before the draft both GM and coach agreed to get a corner or full back. The Pirates back line had been their greatest weakness last season that needed to change. The Sens, Smugglers and Lightning all went offense, leaving several choice defensive players for the team from Carratos to pick up. That was until Cundertol called out Syedna Moole’s name. The Balosar furrowed his brow and swiped something to the left on his data pad. Geoff looked over the schedule again the Pirates started out the first half of the season on a road trip, but got to end a home. Another small annoyance was the Patriots rejoining the league. Geoff knew that Laura would never let him forget it if his team was to lose to her home team. He was prepared to do everything in his power to win, if that involved deflating some of the bolo-balls used in their game, so be it.

The Starkillers made their pick, a half back. Schnitt moved toward the stage, he stopped to adjust his tie and pocket square. He turned to Syrnola for final approval. Geoff always wondered if there was something more between those two. The way they acted around each other seemed almost like the coach and his wife, maybe a little less affectionate. The way Syrnola looked at Schnitt showed she cared for him, and he seemed to run every decision he made by her. The Balosar walked to the podium with a smile on his face.

“With the sixth pick of the 280 ELL Draft the Carratos Pirates select Bel Kruhn Full Back, Taanab A&M” Schnitt handed the Munn a black and white jersey and shook the beings hand. “The Rydonni Prime Monarchs are now on the clock.”

TAG: CPL_Macja

20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! On location from MandalMotors Hall, on clear and cool evening. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit for this special draft night edition of the show. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker and Kitterich are back at the studio but oh baby do we have a show for you."

The combined voices of the Merc fans in attendance at the Hall could be heard ringing out. "OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!!"

"It's been a hell of an off season so far Randy, so much going on, and now new teams added to the ELL."

"Well new old teams."

"I was going to say old friends, but lets face it none of us like the Patriots or Rangers."

"Going to be great to beat down on them this season."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!"

"Going to be tough, a lot of championship teams have that Galactic Cup hangover that plagues their season after winning it all, and with the change to this roster I wouldn't be surprised..."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Hey can we not do that? I'm still celebrating our championship, and I will until they have to award the Cup to someone else. Lets just enjoy the games for what they are, let's enjoy tonight and let's enjoy the season."

"OYA, OYA OYA!!"

"OK, fair enough."

"So here we are, in MandalMotors Hall..."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"...for the draft. A fitting beginning to the season following the greatest ever season in Mandalorian sports."

"OYA, OYA OYA!!!!"

"Last year was a great season, but I don't think this decision to hold the draft here had anything to do with a reward for a great year."

"No?"

"Nope, I just think the commissioner has a warm place in his hear for this team."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"Well if he does it's because we have the best fans in the Galaxy!"

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"Listen to them all, they love it, and you have to admit they make for a great atmosphere for any ELL event."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"Yeah, yeah they really do."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"But let's get to the draft here now folks. Justin, what do you think the Mercs are looking for?"

"Everything."

"Ha!"

"No seriously, everything. We've been through this all off season, but there are a lot of holes on the team due to free agency. Goaltender I think will be their greatest need though they are going to also have to somehow find three Midfielders as well."

"Well we talked about that, and they do have Viela Pahre on the Roster as well. She can fill in nicely as a back up."

"OK, yeah you're right. She was a third round pick last year and spent most of the season as inactive, not even a true backup. After a year there spent learning she could make for a decent back up. But that still leaves us with another reserve middie and a starter to find out there somehow."

"Well there are three midfielders in the draft here, which one fits the Mercs needs the best?"

"Probably Moun, out of U of Shili. Though I am not sure the Mercs will go with her as their first round choice."

"Goalkeeper?"

"There are only two goaltenders out there, and from what I've been hearing the Mercs like Sterling, he seems to have a real nose for the ball, though he looked terrible at the combine."

"Yeah his numbers at New Cov don't seem to match up with his athletic ability at all."

"That combine really hurt his stock, but I'm told the Mercs are looking more at what he did on film than his performance in front of the scouts and front office staffs at the combine."

"So, Sterling then? What about replacing Daryc?"

"The best option honestly would be to try to bring in Andres Fortune and have him play the half..."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Yeah, that's not going to go over well."

"From what I've been told he is not even on the Mercs radar."

"He'd probably demand a trade as soon as he got here, he wanted out remember."

"That's the thinking in the front office."

"So is it barefoot Tam to replace him and we are drafting her replacement?"

"Actually there are rumors now that the Mercs will promote Crusader's phenom La"Bron Jaing..."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"...and play him ahead of Tam."

"Oh wow, now that would be something."

"It's just a sentiment I have heard. It's more likely that they will wait to see what shakes out in training camp between the two before making a decision."

"More drama in training camp then."

"Oh yeah. And not only that but I would have to think that tam and her agent are pissed. She picked up her option thinking that she would be the starter this upcoming season. If she thought that she would have to fight for that role i think she would have tried to cash in on free agency after the title run."

"So the Mercs front office played it smart then."

"Well in the short term yes, but I think other players will think long and hard before signing a contract with a team that won't honor it's commitments."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"What commitment? They made no comit..."

"OK, fine. Understanding then. they broke an unofficial understanding with Tam and her agent, and I am betting that she is gone at the end of the season no matter how the situation at camp plays out."

"Ouch. So either way half forward might be a position of interest to the Mercs."

"Yup. In addition to keeper, midfield, corner forward and let's not forget corner back."

"That's a lot to fill with just three draft picks."

"Yeah it is, and remember those picks are all last in their respective round so they won't hold much in trade value either."

"Going to be an interesting night...and it looks like it is about to get even more interesting. The first pick is on."

Briar Thorne's first ever draft pick was broadcast across the wave followed by the sound of cheers and clapping. “With the first overall pick in the 280 Elite League Draft, the Coruscant Senators select Zuzu Nuun, corner forward from the University of Ralltiir.”

"Safe pick, safe pick."

"It's a good pick Randy, and a safe one I guess. It's just what most of the Mock Drafts though they would do and Nuun does look like she will be a good addition to a Senators team that looks to be rebuilding again."

"Can she bring them to the promised land?"

"She's good, but not that good." Justin quickly backtracked. "What I mean to say is that she is a great young player, but the Senators are going to need a lot more if they are going to improve and make the playoffs next season."

"You see them making some trades here on draft day?"

"It's well known that they are in fire sale mode, or close to it, in an effort to stock up on young talent and draft picks. So it is certainly a possibility."

"Think the Mercs could be involved there?"

"It's possible, but I doubt it. The Mercs need too much themselves. Besides, the Mercs front office has shown more of a willingness to trade picks for future assets, not current players. That's what led them to that great draft last season. This draft, well their picks aren't worth much in trading away for future picks because they come at the end of the round, so unless the Mercs are willing to take a loss on each pick..."

"Trading their current first rounder for a future second for example."

"...then...Yes exactly. Unless they are willing to take such a loss, I don't see them being very active here on draft night."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"What? what did I say?"

"I don't think they are booing at you Justin, but the Smugglers look like they are ready to make their pick..."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Oh, well that makes sense then."

“Mick Steele, Forward, Vertical City University!”

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Oh wow, great pick for the Smugglers."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Yeah I think so too. From what I heard the Mercs had their eye on Steele."

"He's a versatile forward, and with hole at center and right half forward..."

"And corner forward too."

"...he could have been a great fit for the Mercs. Despite his pedigree."

"Well the Mercs took Langdon from VCU laast season, and she did great here."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"Yeah, I have to give it to the coaching staff, and the fans, they don't much care where a player comes from so long as they play for the Mercs."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!!"

"Hahaha. So, how does this affect the Mercs draft plans?"

"Not so sure it does. I think, i'm not sure, that they had Steele highly rated on their draft board, but I think they were going to go in another direction with their first round pick anyway. My bet would be either keeper or middie still, depending on how the rest of the first round goes and who is left on the board."

"Oh look, Ylesia is up already!"

"First, I would like to congratulate the Mando'ade Mercs on their Galactic Cup win. We on Ylesia were delighted to have been host to such a thrilling game."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!!!"

"Though it would have been better to have been in it, of course." The admission was followed by laughter and the banging of plate armor in appreciation.

"They really did a great job hosting that game folks. It looked great and I heard nothing but good things about...everything from fans and staff who went."

"And without further ado, the Ylesia Lightning select Mera Loralsgaard from Aquilaris University."

"Good pick, she's another good forward with lots of versatility."

"So it makes them a better team, but how does it affect the Mercs?"

"Well I already mentioned how it is a position of need, but I didn't hear much about her prior to the draft from my sources in the front office. Could have been a smoke screen, but I tend to think they are looking elsewhere."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Oh that must mean the Miners are ready to make their pick."

"I think everyone here is booing, not just the Mercs fans in attendance."

"I'm sure you're right, man is it loud!"

"What the...?

"ummmmmm....."

"OK, folks, this is odd, but Syedna Moole of the University of Gacerian has taken the stage with the Miner's General manager though we never actually heard him make the pick."

"I think the fans were too loud and no one could hear it."

"OYA, OYA OYA!!!!!!"

"Oh wow, that would be great. That's just fantastic."

Kitterich's voice chimed in from back at the studio now. "Yeah guys, we've confirmed that. The Miners took Syedna Moole from the University of Gacerian and the AStarkillers are on the clock."

"Ha...that's fracking hilarious!"

"Way to go Mercs fans!"

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!!"

Randy was still laughing but managed to speak. "Ok Justin, How does that affect us?"

"Well she is a good cornerback."

"Takes one to know one right?"

"Oh she is more talented than I am, or else I would still be playing instead of stuck here with you."

"Oh, how horrible for you."

"Yeah well. I did hear that the Mercs had some questions about her toughness that knocked them down on their draft board, but she has talent."

"So..."

"Honestly I think if the Mercs were to go cornerback they would take the Barabel kid, Gasnar out of Dantooine. That kid can hit!"

"But..."

"But I am sticking with my gut that the Mercs take the best keeper or midfielder off the board with their first pick. Probably Sterling if he is available. If not..."

"Hold up Justin, the Starkillers are ready with their pick."

“With the 5th pick of the 280 ELL draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select Hamm Leak.”

"Great pick for them, great pick!"

"Really? I haven't heard much about him."

"That's because the Mercs weren't looking for a halfback here. I have it on good authority though that he was the top rated HB on the Mercs draft board."

"But they weren't looking to take him?"

"Only if he somehow made it through to the third round."

"Well that's not much of a concern now."

"Nope."

"OK, folks, we have to go to break here real quick. But we'll be back in time for the Pirates..."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"...pick, right after these messages."

A few minutes later, following the commercial break

"OK Randy, what the frell is a narwhal?"

"From that commercial? It's ummm. It's something that swims in the ocean."

"You have no idea either."

"Hey you're the one with the college education!"

"Go Bucks!"

"Uh. From what I know guys, they swim in the ocean and cause a commotion."

"Because they are so awesome!" came the combined voices of Randy and Justin.

"Yes, and they're pretty..."

"Hold that though K-man, here comes the pick."

“With the sixth pick of the 280 ELL Draft the Carratos Pirates select Bel Kruhn Full Back, Taanab A&M.”

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Ha, well the Mercs fans here aren't forgetting their new found hatred of the Pirates."

"Or the KMI Warriors win over the Aggies."

"But how does this..."

"Not a bit. We have Ike Tullo..."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!!!!!!"

"...at fullback, so we won;t be looking at that position for years to come."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!!!!!!"

"He does help out a Pirates defense though that really needed it. They were already a tough team with that offense. This just makes them tougher."

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"And it brings us closer and closer to the last pick of the round, the Mercs pick."

"And now they are guaranteed of getting either their top midfielder or keeper choice no matter what the Monarchs do here."

"Hold on folks, the commissioner is taking the stage though we have no word that the pick is in."

"Trade."

"We have a trade to announce," came the commissioner's smarmy voice. "The Senators have acquired the Mercs first round draft choice, either overall in exchange for....Sarah Connor, Goaltender and Ye'ves'toung, Midfielder."

The news was met by a mixed chorus of boos and Oyas.

"WHAT???!!!"

"Wow, oh wow."

"Just what?"

"The Rydonni Prime Monarchs are still on the clock."

"That's two years in a row the Mercs have really surprised me."

"I didn't think they would trade out of that pick either."

"Wait a second..."

"Well let's take a look at what we got and what we gave up."

"We got Connor."

"Uhh. Yes."

"We got Connor."

"We established that."

"We got Connor!"

"Why are you..."

"You don't remember last season's draft?"

"Hey I can't remember what i had for breakfast."

"Gluten free waffles from the studio DFAC."

"Thank's Kitterich."

"Ok,hey can we get back to the moment?"

"Sure.."

"Last draft Connor was on the board and the Mercs surprised me, and a few others by not taking her and going with Langdon instead."

"Good thing they did with the way Johnnie limmie is turning out."

"Yeah, but she was a highly rated goalkeeper, a real machine in between the pipes, that ended up going to the Senators and being misused there in that weird scheme of theirs."

"OK...."

"So now we go and get her for a lower draft pick then what we would have used on her last season and we put her in goal behind Katan."

"So we traded a first rounder for a backup? That doesn't sound that great..."

"Well, the last pick in the round, so really more like a low second rounder. But yeah we get a really good backup keeper, one who provides great insurance if Katan gets injured."

"For a first rounder?"

"And who can learn a lot from him without the expectations of starting that thorn started having. She's a perfect fit."

"For a first rounder."

"She was a first round pick last season!"

"Last season!"

"So we lose a year of control over her, no big deal. By the end of the contract she will either be ready to start or she gets cut loose. Either way the Mercs are set between the pipes for years to come."

"Don't forget guys, we also get a midfielder in the deal."

"That's right, Vizsla plugged two holes, the most glaring needs for the team by the way, with just one pick."

"Ye’ves’toung though. She has been a disappointment pretty much everywhere..."

"She's a former Helmsman tropy winner and was also the number one draft pick in 272. Pair that with getting Sarah Connor for the last pick in the first round. It's a steal for the Mercs."

"But Ye’ves’toung has had her issues in the league, she has never really seemed to live up to her potential."

"She has the reputation of being an ice queen, I'll give you that. But the Mercs and their fans seem to do better with arrogant and brash players like Ike Tullo, Tuvaash Mauntak and Mij Katan."

"You mentioned all defensive players there."

"Did I?"

"Yup."

"Huh. Hadn't noticed. But that's why the fans and front office loved Daryc too."

"So you think she will have a renaissance in her career here then?"

"I don't know about that but..."

"Hey guys, word around here from my sources is that the Mercs have brought in Ye’ves’toung to hold down one of the reserve midfielder spots, pairing up with Pahre there on the bench."

"So we traded a first rounder."

"Late first rounder Randy, late. Like the last pick of the round late."

"For a couple of backups? Not so sure we won this one."

"I still think we did. We plugged needs with a pair of pretty good players all for a pick that could have at best filled one."

"Well, either way it looks like a trade that both sides can be happy with. Don't always see that in the ELL."

"K-man, your sources say anything about other trades coming down the way? Or what the Mercs plan to do in terms of filling that other midfielder spot?"

"The starting spot?"

"Yeah."

"Nope, nothing. They're playing things pretty close to the chestplate here, but it's possibel they think one of the midfielders on the board will fal to them at the end of the second round."

"Midfielders do have a tendency to go late in the draft."

"But if they do that they can't guarantee getting their highest rated midfielder."

"Anything about trading up in the second round K-Man?"

"Nope nothing."

"Huh. Well it's an odd play for the Mercs, but possibly a great one."

"Is it possible that they are going to promote Irvin from Concordia?"

"Oh now that would be an interesting move."

"Could he handle being the starter?"

"He has amazing skills randy, simply amazing. I am fortunate to be able to see him of the field every week when I call their games."

"So, a potential starter?"

"Oh for sure, for sure. Especially if the Mercs decide to go that route. I don't see that he could learn much more down in the LFL."

"But..."

"He does have some durability issues. He puts a lot of stress on his body and he always seems to miss a game or two each season. Project that out to a full ELL season, against players bigger and stronger than what he sees on a weekly basis in the LFL and well....."

"Yeah some cause for concern there for sure."

"Which is why the Mercs bring in an experienced midfielder with some pedigree to back him up."

"They could still be looking at free agency too here guys. Rumor has it that they have made some progress with Gozer on contract talks."

"Well either way, promoting Kyr Irvin or bringing back Gozer it does look as though Pahre and Ye’ves’toung will be relegated to the bench."

"Interesting. OK, so while we wait for the Monarchs pick, what other players from the Crusaders could be called up and make an immediate impact on the Mercs?"

"Well, there is L..."

"Hold that thought there Justin. There is some activity up on stage, I think the Monarch's pick is in...

TAG: Jedi Gunny,

OOC: I took some liberties with the timing of the Mercs/Senators trade so I could include other draft stuff. Also I hope Trieste doesn't mind me putting some fairly inconsequential words announcing the trade in the commissioner's mouth.

[​IMG]

Trieste, Vehn, Jedi Gunny and 3 others like this.
  21. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Vesper Lynd
    Noble House of Trieste Beach House, Bakura
    279 Elite League Draft

Most women who were nine months pregnant weren’t sitting at home wondering who was going to be the twenty-ninth overall pick in the Elite League Draft. Then again, most women had not been nominated five times for a Duchess Eldin Award, once for the Salbukk, and named to five consecutive All Star teams like Vesper had been. Of course she had not been planning on watching the draft either this year as Setarcos Rhemes penchant for trading picks cost the Monarchs all of their picks. The GM’s tactic of gladly paying Tuesday for a nerfburger today had finally caught up with him. Fortunately the Storm were strapped for credits and leveraged their picks for cash considerations.

When it was announced that the Monarchs had bought the twenty-ninth overall pick for two million credits Vesper laughed out loud. The Storm had successfully sold back the Monarchs own pick to them. In the process they made an additional thirteen and a half million credits by selling the Monarchs first and second round picks to Ralltiir and Mando’ade respectively.

So there she sat, swollen womb and all, watching as pick after pick was announced and counting all of the missed opportunities for which Setarcos was responsible. Each one pained her just a little bit more each time they passed by.

First was the Chiss half forward Kal’cre’ltenk taken by Ralltiir with the ninth overall pick. The irony was almost too perfect, as that would have been the Monarchs first round pick. Then Instot Arien the Twi’lek full back was grabbed at number eighteen, one pick ahead of where Rydonni Prime should have been. So finally, after the Miners stole the second Chiss half forward out from under their nose, the Monarchs settled on the next best thing, a human traded by the Chiss.

But once the draft was concluded with the Smugglers taking an Ewok, much to Vesper’s disbelief, she realized that the pains she had been feeling weren’t being caused by her team’s bad decision, but were the sign of big life change. Nearly doubling over in pain she called for her doctor with just three words, “May, it’s time!”

And thus on the day Tess Sanouci became the newest member of the Monarchs, Dorian Artys Dunross Lynd was born into the Noble House of Trieste.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

MandalMotors Hall, Mandalore
    280 Elite League Draft

It was time. After dropping their third Galactic Cup final in four years it was time for a change. Change is what they did, but unlike in the past they did so quietly. So without any fanfare the first number one pick that the Monarchs ever had, Rew Ileo, was sent down to the Red Wings to ride out his contract. Meanwhile on the coaching staff, Assistant Head Coach Michelle Winters, along with coordinators Jensen and Jared Remington were ‘released to pursue other career opportunities’. Defensive Backs coach, Adam Maas was hired by the Republic Fleet Academy to be their limmie Head Coach.

Vesper also instituted house cleaning in the front offices. Ramses Partalo and Riviera Than’nam were released from the scouting office. Remus Olappa retired and passed the mantel of Director of Scouting to Chief Collegiate Scout Dia T’ramis. At the same time she realigned the remaining scouts to be Director of Scouting for their respective teams, removing them from the Monarchs direct control. The title of Assistant General Manager was removed from Hris Helios as his position of General Manager of the Red Wings took precedence.

The biggest change was in the General Manager’s office. Setarcos Rhemes was officially placed on notice after a few confusing weeks. Somehow a private, internal discussion of the possibility of placing Eli Rooth, Buggie Resh, and Fahpe Sojuria on the trading block had been released to the press. Those were then replaced by rumors of Lana Ping Cora Xux, Drista Konnenwirth, and Bella Starr being put on the block. In reality they none of these were official. The discussion of the three forwards getting put up was amongst Vesper’s supporters. A, now fired, front office staffer released this information to HSN who reported it. This move infuriated Rhemes so he leaked, through one of his staffers, that the four defensive back, all friends of Vesper, were being shopped. It took Nicholas the better part of three weeks to clear up the mess with the players’ agents, HSN, and the League offices.

In the end, the Monarchs had one player demoted, two front office errors, the Scouting office reduced by three, and the coaching staff searching for four replacement members. So once again the inevitable wheel of change was turning on them and the Draft was upon them. The next phase of the cycle was the Setarcos trade bonanza but Vesper was not going to have any of the madness that has cursed them in the past.

Down on the draft day floor, she walked amongst the other team reps shaking hands and carrying on friendly conversations. She also sat down with some members of the media. HSN was the only ones to ask her when Setarcos would make his almost patented trade that would give up the Monarchs’ future picks for current ones. She shocked them when she said there wouldn’t be any this season. When they asked how she meant to stop him from doing it she simply explained, “I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.”

Before she was forced to fully explain herself, Vesper heard her cue.

“The Rydonni Prime Monarchs are now on the clock.”

She excused herself and immediately made her way to the podium. Romo and her had already laid out their draft strategy for this season, so she knew which players they wanted at each pick. There would no longer be the endless, tiresome debates on the day of the draft nor surprise trades or free agent signings. They had a plan and they were sticking with it.

Vesper Lynd walked out, onto the stage, and said, “With the seventh pick of the 280 Elite League Draft, the Rydonni Prime Monarchs select…

[​IMG]

Cotts’lan’tnanam, Midfielder, Catlia Tech!”

The shocked Chiss made his way up to the stage and accepted his new jersey from the majority owner of the Monarchs. Once the traditional holos were snapped Vesper returned to the podium once again.

“The Coruscant Senators are on the clock, again.”

TAG: Runjedirun, Bardan_Jusik (for team mentions), Jedi Gunny (for next pick)

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Briar Thorne
    MandalMotors Hall

Briar wasn’t taking any chances. If she could pick up on a deal, she would pounce on it. It was that kind of frenetic energy that she knew she had to bring to this job. The team as currently constructed needed a lot of work, and she would have a ton of young, unproven players to deal with. Those like Klay Mettews and Zuzu Nuun had loads of talent, but both would be rookies this upcoming season, and there was no telling how they would do. Players like Duncan Gabbert might not even make the Opening Day roster, although Briar had a feeling that he would. After all, she only had one midfielder left on the roster in Sharsy Wenips. The Zeltron wouldn’t get it done by herself; she had a good rookie season, but at the end had her flaws exposed in a major way, and then bombed in her second season. She had potential, but probably not here where she would be asked to step up and contribute immediately.

The trade channels were what Briar was prowling. She was hoping that someone, anyone, would call with an offer. She needed more draft picks, more ways to try and build this team to her specifications. She was willing to give up a few players, but others were at this point untouchable. She wanted too much for Gamble and Adama for anyone to willingly pay it unless they were desperate for proven talent, Killenger and Montes would still likely be here unless really enticing deals came their way, and the others . . . well, it depended on the offers once again. She didn’t have high hopes for finding a trade that involved picks; it likely would be her looking for lesser players and prospects in return for her low-value players. Player swaps weren’t always the worst way to change a team; picks were valuable, yes, but player-for-player trades were another way of getting to the same point. The only differences were the lack of using a pick on those new acquisitions, and shorter and likely cheaper contracts to take on. Draft players were major risks, even down to the very last pick, and thus picks had some value but were not the end-all be-all solution to rebuilding a team. But Briar would do her very best to build things, and that meant looking for players and picks to solve her new organization’s woes.

So she first tapped the communications channel and got on the call with Hapes. She had known Adanna Inviere from her days with the Miners, so it made things a bit easier to negotiate. Briar had a package of players in mind to move, and sent multiple offers to the C-Bucs. Inviere relented on one such offer, but as Briar looked through her notes, she realized that one of the players she would be receiving in trade likely wouldn’t have much value. So she put Inviere on hold, and then looked to Tela. “Get me the roster for the Gallinore Firedrakes,” she said.

“What for?” Tela asked.

“Hapes is on the line, and I need to know if they have any good prospects. We’re probably looking for defense, since that’s what I’m willing to move,” Briar said. “And hurry up. We don’t want to lose this offer.”

Tela scrambled to get the roster on the screen, and finally it crackled to life. There was the Firedrakes roster, full of Hapans, men and women alike. The men had no chance of making it to the big club, but that didn’t mean they had no value. The Firedrakes had male players for trading chips, so Briar would kick the tires on them if they had talent but were stymied by their own culture. Notes came up from one of the Senators’ scouts, the Mid Rim talent evaluator Lily Kreen. Kreen had been assigned to the Mid Rim planets and the Consortium, and had been a pupil of Tela during her early years working for lower-level organizations. With Tela here now, Kreen had come with her, a twenty-something itching to prove herself. Her notes came up on the screen on the Gallinore players, and instantly Briar noticed a pattern. The male players were just as good as the females in terms of production. If the Hapans weren’t so prejudiced, they would have a hotbed of talent available for instant call-up, she thought to herself.

One name came to her immediately. Conar Kraft, a left half back with the Firedrakes, had solid numbers, two years of contract left, and some decent scouting reports. He wasn’t a star, but he would likely be moveable if the price was right. So she made a mental note and kept looking. Then she found a utility back named Kelly Vurgess. The 20-year old, a product of the Hapan Juniors League who had just finished her first season with the Firedrakes, had all the makings of a star in her. Kreen gushed about her talent, and said that if there was a prospect that was under the sensors on the Firedrakes squad who might be available, Vurgess was it. Briar made that note, and then got back to Inviere.

“Yes, I’ll ask for two prospects instead of Waters,” she said. “I’ll take Kraft and Vurgess from the Firedrakes.” Several seconds of silence followed before Inviere agreed to the trade. “All right, we have a deal, then?” Briar asked.

Inviere’s response was drowned out by the pick being made from the Draft hall. The Bakura Miners selected their player, Syedna Moole, and Ralltiir was now on the clock with the fifth pick. Briar asked for clarification, and Inviere repeated that the deal would be struck. They were good to go.

“We did it,” Briar said, putting down the communicator. “Take Wenips and Dekula off our board, and Rickmond from the Force off as well.”

“Will do,” Tela said. The names soon disappeared, and would eventually be replaced by the new acquisitions.

“Who did we get?” Polis asked.

“Two prospects from Gallinore,” Briar said.

“Only two? Seems like a lot to give up for two unproven players,” Tela commented.

“Oh, I got more in return than that,” Briar said casually. “One Alysha Romax is also coming along as part of the deal.”

“Romax? You can’t be serious!” Polis exclaimed.

“Should I wonder why your sudden outburst?” Briar asked, raising an eyebrow.

“She got traded several years ago after getting into a verbal spat with the media,” Polis explained. “They were giving her a hard time, and she wanted off-planet so badly. I wonder how well she’ll take coming back. Plus, she’s old.”

“She’s 35,” Briar said. “But that’s plenty of time to see what we can get from her and have her mentor our younger midfielders. Speaking of which, he now don’t have any left under contract except Gabbert.”

“Backing us into a corner, eh?” Polis muttered.

“Mr. Vayne, I know what I’m doing,” Briar said. “If you don’t like it, I don’t really care.”

“I was just making a comment,” Polis said. “What do you intend to do to fix the gaps at midfield?”

“We’ll probably draft someone, or find some quality free agents,” Briar said. “There are three midfielders on the board right now, and any one of them could fit in nicely with our system. We will need a young player to go with Romax in the starting lineup, like Glencross and Pic back on Bakura. One teaches the other, and eventually the younger player can mentor a rookie when they get called up and the veteran retires.”

The Starkillers soon made their pick, selecting Hamm Leak. Now Carratos was up with the sixth pick. They chose Bel Kruhn, and the Monarchs were on. A solid full back, Kruhn would have looked good with the Senators. But such was the way of things at the Draft.

“Who are we taking with our next pick?” Tela asked.

“Well, we could go defense,” Polis offered.

“Offense seems set at the moment,” Aebatt said, speaking up for the first time in a while.

“I think we could go midfielder here, but offense might be a strong play . . .” Briar began, but a communicator call stopped her dead in her tracks. She wondered who that could be. Picking it up, she quickly realized that it was the Mercs organization. And they had a trade offer on the table. “Well, I appreciate the offer,” Briar began, “but we’d like a little more in return for her. First-round pick and all . . . .” The Mercs didn’t miss a beat, Viszla knowing exactly what he wanted.

The second offer was very enticing, and Briar didn’t hesitate. She approved the deal, and then set the communicator down where it belonged.

“Now what?” Aebatt inquired.

“Mercs called. They wanted Connor, so I gave her to them,” Briar said. “And the Chiss midfielder whose name I cannot pronounce, apparently. Both of them for the Mercs’ first rounder here.”

“A first round pick? Nice haul for those two,” Polis said, nodding his head.

“I figured that Connor could have been in the running for the starting job in goal this year, but she had a rough year, and I think we want to give Montes more confidence that the job is hers,” Briar replied. “And there are goaltenders on the board should we need one, although I’d like to think we can find a suitable replacement elsewhere at less cost and less risk.”

Connor and Ye’ves’toung’s names came off the roster, and eventually the Commissioner made the announcement that the trade had been pushed through. It would give both sides what they wanted, the Mercs some roster fodder to fill new holes, and the Senators a first-round draft pick they sorely needed to shore up their roster.

“And now we need to wait and see who is available with that pick,” Aebatt said, scratching her chin as she spoke.

“I still think defense is the way to go,” Polis said. “We really need some defenders out there, since Meter is the only half back returning besides Meels, and she’s washed-up . . .”

“Or she has talent, just not as a star half back,” Briar interjected.

“But she’s not that good,” Polis contended. “She’s been given every chance to succeed, and failed at them all. I’d say if we could get a deal in place for her we’d ship her right out and be the better for it.”

“We’re going to see this differently,” Briar commented, shaking her head. “Meter will stay unless we can find a good deal. She’s still young, and has those flashes you need to see in a player. She just hasn’t put it all together yet.”

“But that puts more pressure on the corner backs, something we can’t afford right now,” Polis warned. “Gamble already had a rough enough year last season, and we can’t force her to be the saving grace again. We just don’t have the depth we need to be successful.”

“Right now, depth isn’t a luxury we can have,” Aebatt said.

“She’s right, Mr. Vayne,” Briar said curtly. “We won’t have depth for a while. But I expect you to know that since you once played in this league.”

“I did my job,” Polis said.

“So let me do mine,” Briar said snidely.

“Fine,” Polis said, obviously a little put out.

“Thank you,” Briar said, still in that same curt tone.

Rydonni Prime was still on the clock. They were the last pick before the consecutive Senator picks at 8 and 9. That meant that the room had only a few minutes to make a decision on who they wanted, given that they had only just gotten the pick minutes earlier.

Things sped up when the Monarchs made their pick. The Chiss midfielder “Slant” was their pick, the second-ranked middie on the HSN Board. That put the Senators back on the clock with the last pick of the first round.

“That was quick,” Aebatt noted.

“I think the choice here is obvious, though,” Polis said.

“Please enlighten us, then,” Briar commented snidely.

But this time Polis had the right amount of push, and Briar had to agree that the man was paying attention. There was probably no reason why she was so harsh on him, given that he was in the Hall of Fame and she wasn’t, but she had more titles. Then again, he had actually won them on the ground, and she had just been a glorified office assistant during some of those playoff runs . . . OK, fine, so he was her equal in many things. And he had made this pick.

“With the eighth overall pick of the 280 Elite League Draft, the Coruscant Senators select Ed Munster, Half Back from Taanab A&M,” Briar said.

[​IMG]

This Shistavanen had been the obvious pick. Not only had he been the top-rated defender left on the board, but he would also bring a lot of size to the half back line. With the weak spot in the Senator defense being in those three spots, having Munster would hopefully go a long ways towards fixing the line and getting it back operational once again. Munster didn’t say anything when he got up on stage, but gave a toothy grin for the Holos taken of both he and Briar with a spare Senators uniform, since there had been no planning for a second first-rounder and thus an additional “#1” jersey.

As Briar walked back to the War Room in preparation for their next pick, she saw the ultimate irony in the pick they had just made. Munster had played with Sarah Connor for a few seasons as an Aggie, and now he had been picked with a draft selection traded for a player package including Connor. That was what they called ironic in many circles.

As soon as she returned, she was under the gun to get the next pick in. The Senators were already back on the clock, as the Commissioner had pushed it to the second round already. So there was precious little time to get anything done in.

Luckily, Briar Thorne already had a plan in mind.

It wasn’t long before she was back at the podium. The Commissioner was letting teams pick their players like this for this Draft, so she wasn’t about to say anything to the contrary. Besides, she wanted to be in on all this, to see the expressions of the players she was drafting. After all, some weren’t expecting such an early selection, like this next pick.

“With the ninth overall selection, the Coruscant Senators . . . yes, we’re still on the board . . . select Maddy Swann, midfielder from the Royal College of Hapes.”

[​IMG]

Swann, who was in attendance, looked utterly shocked by being selected. She put her hands over her eyes for a moment as the cameras found her in the audience, and finally she was directed to go up to the stage. Briar was waiting there, and she shook Swan’s hand.

“Welcome to the Senators,” Briar said. “I hope your Helmsman nomination will be of use for you on our team.”

“Thank you so much. This means a lot to me,” Swann said. “I didn’t think I had a chance to be picked this early.”

“It’s how I do things,” Briar said out of the side of her mouth right before the Holos were taken. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to return to the rest of my front office.” She and Swann went in their separate directions, and Briar returned to the ‘War Room’. “Three picks down, one more to go,” she commented as she sat back down in her chair.

Her team was still a long ways from being complete, but no one could say Briar Thorne was working to put her impression on this team from the get-go.

TAG: Vehn

23. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Mylessa McCloud

MandalMotors Hall
    280 ELL Draft

"He's ours," Meredith said breathing a sigh of relief.

The wait for this particular player had been agonizing but the strategy was about to pay dividends. Nobody had expected him to drop this far. Nobody had expected him to still be on the board. This was a win-win. This was a good pick.

"With the 10th pick in the 280 Draft, the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers select," Lilly Vehn said as she was doing the announcing this time, "Sa'Akhuun, Forward, Vertical City University!"

[​IMG]

The Zabrak was embraced by the Smuggler faithful who loved the fact that their ELL team had gone crazy and selected two home-grown kids in the 280 Draft so far.

Mylessa McCloud could do nothing but smile. After all, she had lots of toys to play with this year for the schemes she was developing. The Helmsman winner would only add to that.

Tag: Rebecca_Daniels

Trieste, Jedi Gunny and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  24. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    IC: Mirik Chal

Some changes to drafting order were expected, but thankfully didn't force their plans to readjust. She had someone in mind for their next pick, but hadn't expected them to still be available at this point. Apparently most teams were building their defense, based on the picks thus far.

With Nar Shaddaa picking ahead of them each round, it was mostly the displeasure of those watching that signalled that it was her time to pick.

"With our second pick, the Ylesia Lightning take Callopie Farlan, from Coruscant Polytechnic Institute."

TAG: Trieste

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC
    Mandalore

Once again it was all but impossible to hear the Miners pick. It seemed that the Mandalorian hometown fans had attracted others to their cause--others who were enjoying this one bit. It did not appear that Cundertol, however, shared their glee. Once again, it was only the draft picks themselves in the offstage area with their direct comm line to the podium who heard the next pic.

It was Grazo Award winner and Bak10 player Alec Kazoo. It seemed the Miners had a very clear idea of where their team needed improvement and it was at cornerback. Getting HSN's top ranked corner back and the Grazo winner made it clear that they saw it as a position of need. Immediately the BBC Sports team began wondering if this spelled the end of Millard and Ward's time with the Miners given their expiring contracts.

TAG: Runjedirun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.